Tanzania: Utawala bora vs Rushwa

Mwanagenzi,

Nani kakutuma kutoboa ukweli huu ambao eti viongozi wetu hawaujui, na hasa hilo la Mkapa na madini. In fact kiongozi machachari anayetetea maslahi ya nchi yake huonekana mbaya kwa hao jamaa. Yule Mzee Mugabe pale Zimbabwe alisema makampuni yote ya kuchimba madini yatachukua 50% tu, ile 50% itakuwa ni royalty na kodi kwa serikali. Halafu akasema tulipigania uhuru ili wananchi wetu wapate ardhi, lakini leo hii miaka 20 ya uhuru bado ardhi yote imechukuliwa na weupe. Akageuza kibao kuchukua ardhi yote na kuigawa upya kwa wanachi wote sawa bila kujalia rangi zao. Jamaa wafadhili wakasema huyu mzee hafai wakamkaba koo hadi akaishiwa pumzi. Sasa hivi Zimbabwe uchumi umekuwa katika shambles kutokana na sababu nyingi lakini mojawapo ni hicho kibano cha haohao "watoa misaada."

Juzi juzi kulikuwa na debate kwenye National Public Radio (NPR.ORG) kuhusu misaada na maendeleo ya afrika. Watu walikuwa wanajiuliza kuwa ni kwa nini Afrika imepewa misaada kuliko bara lolote duniani lakini haindelei. Wengi walisema ni kwa sababu ya uongozi mbaya na rushwa. Ila mmojawapo alisema NO, ni kwa sababu misaada inayotolewa huwa hailengi kuwaendeleza waafrika bali kuwadumaza kuwa tegemezi; kwa mfano kulipia bajeti ya kuendesha serikali hakuasidii maendeleao yoyote ile. Halafu returns za misaada hiyo huwa ni kubwa kwa nchi watoa misaada kuliko kwa nchi za afrika zenyewe.

Pamoja na maelezo mazuri ya mh. Mwanagenzi na Kichuguu, hiyo haiondoi ukweli kwamba kiasi kikubwa sisi pia tumeitumia vibaya misaada. Naamini matatizo yetu ya ndani ni makubwa kuliko hayo ya kusababishwa na hao jamaa wa nje. Hili la kujikomba ndo kabisa linatumaliza. Sasa hivi huyu jamaa tangu achanguliwe ameamua kwenda kujitambulisha Ulaya na Amerika kwanza kabla hata hajawasalimia jamaa zake wa Afrika. Kinachokera zaidi sikiliza akirudi: serikali fulani imeaidi kutupa msaada wa mvua, ingine imeahidi kutusaidia hiki na kile. Kutwa ni kuomba tuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Sasa hapo utamlaumu mzungu kwa ombaomba yetu! Na ukiomba msaada ndugu yangu lazima upewe masharti, una hiari ya kukubali au kukataa. Ukishakubali masharti inabidi utekeleze, vinginevyo umevunja mkataba. Sasa matatizo ya rushwa ni ya kwetu, sisi hatukuona umuhimu wa kutunga sheria mpaka hawa jamaa wa Denmark walipotuamuru kama sehemu ya masharti ya msaada wao! Sasa hapo utaona kwa nini tunatunga sheria kibao ambazo hata hivyo hatutuzitakelezi, kwa sababu sisi sio tuliozitaka, tulishinikizwa. Sheria imekuwa kama dissertations zinavyopumzika katika maktaba zikisubiri msomaji.

It takes two to cha-cha!

Mimi naelekeza lawama nyingi kwa failures zetu ndani ya nchi. Wazungu hao tunawasingizia tu. Wenzetu wanafanya biashara; tena wanayoielewa vyema. Sisi tunaingia kichwa kichwa (bila shaka kwa kuangalia short-term goals).

Hata tukibanwa vipi kama hatutaweza kujitambua, tutazidi kuwa hoi kama ilivyo Zimbabwe.

Ukoloni wa kizamani ilikuwa sumu inayoonekana, na hivi rahisi kupambana nayo. Hali ya sasa ni kwamba sumu ile ipo(win-lose strategy) ila imechanganywa na sukari and some snacks(short-term goals) na hivi inakuwa ngumu kuipambanua. Matokeo yake? Umasikini (afya mbaya) huongezeka kila uchao licha ya juhudi zinazofanywa.

Ni kweli tuna failures nyingi. Sidhani kama nilionyesha kuwa lawamna zote tuwatupie wafadhili, hapana, ila ninalosema ni kuwa wao pia wana mgao wao katika matatizo yetu. Uongozi wetu na mfumo wa serikali zetu ndio uwozo na kliini cha matatizo. Inahitaji uongozi mzuri kuangalia kuwa interests za nchi zinalindwa wakati tunapozunguzia misaada hiyo. Misaada tuliyokweisha pokea inazidi kiasi kilichotumika katika kujenga upya Ulaya baada ya vita (Marshall Plan), lakini bado tunaishi kama vile tumetoka vitani leo.

Viongozi wetu wamejaa kufikiria misaada tu badala ya kufikiria jinsi ya kutumia raslimali zetu vizuri. Misaada mingine ni uchuro; kwa mfano, hebu angalia zile pesa zilizochukuliwa na wachimba madini ni kiasi gani ukilinganisha na misaada iliyotolewa katika kipindi hicho.

Hapa jamani kuna mambo mawili katikati ya hilo moja.

Serikali ya JK inafakamia rushwa mpaka aibu. JK sasa hivi hajui amuamini nani. Maanake wazaramo wenzake (Msabaha) ndiyo hivyo washachukua chao mapema na umeme ni kitendawili.

pamoja unauhuu wa kuoa maoni nadhani bora nikukosoe

JK na huyo MSABAHA sio WAZARAMO

Punda kuzaliwa katika zizi la NGOMBE halimfani kuwa ngombe

so please babu hebu tuazie UZARAMO wetu eeeh?

Wajameni

Hivi watawala wetu wanavyopanga bajeti ya kutegemea wafadhali 40% huwa wanategemea nini...??? Mchumi mmoja Muingereza aliyefariki hivi majuzi aliwahi kusema..."No Such Thing As Free Coffee".

Bora Iddi Simba naye aseme!

Danish aid slash a blessing-Iddi Simba

2006-12-19
By Guardian Reporters

A former cabinet minister, Iddi Simba, has described the recent move made by the Danish government to reduce aid given to Tanzania as a blessing in disguise.

Speaking during an exclusive interview with The Guardian yesterday in Dar es Salaam, he said: ”In my view, the cutting of aid could be a blessing.

If the government of Denmark, or any government for that matter, is unhappy with us about corruption, then they shouldn’t link that fact with aid because I can quote many examples in the past when aid fuelled corruption.”

He said he was not saddened at all that Denmark had slashed its financial support for Tanzania.

”So why should I be sad that (Danish) aid is being withdrawn? In fact, if you remove aid, then you remove corruption.

So if we are serious about getting rid of corruption in our countries, let us address the root causes of corruption in our countries.

I contend that aid facilitates corruption. So if you want to kill it (corruption), then at least kill that source (foreign aid).”

He said the philosophy of foreign aid was not helpful to Tanzania. ”As Iddi Simba, I do not believe, neither do I have faith in the significance of receiving foreign aid. I don’t believe in it. I want you to understand me.

The philosophy of aid for countries such as ours�I have no faith in it.” (Read a full news feature in tomorrow’s paper).

The government of Denmark, through its embassy, had recently announced that it would reduce its general budget support to Tanzania by 20 per cent in the 2007/08 financial year.

Among the sectors that may suffer from the move are alternative energy development, education and irrigation.

The move results from government failure to fulfill its commitment to present long-awaited anti-corruption legislation during the last Bunge session, according to the embassy.

Speaking to The Guardian on the same issue, the Chairman of the opposition United Democratic Party John Momose Cheyo, said he was totally against the action.

He said: ”These people! How can they do a thing like that? Is it that they want the people to go against their own government?

When they slash aid, it is the people who are going to suffer, not the government. Their priority should be the people, not the government in power.”

He said the reasons given by the Danish embassy for reducing the aid did not hold water.

”There must be another reason. Punishing the government does not help. Each government has got its own programme.

If they had agreed that a draft bill should be presented in the House at a certain date, then it is not the duty of another government to press for its tabling,” he added.

Cheyo said once a donor country felt that the money it was extending for budget support was being misused, the proper step would have been to bring the issue up for parliamentary deliberation.

”They shouldn’t treat the government in that manner. If we allow donors to act in that way, then why did we fight for independence?” he asked.

When asked by The Guardian as to why the government had failed to table the draft bill on corruption, thus earn the wrath of the Danish government, Philip Marmo, the Minister of State in the President’s Office responsible for Good Governance said: ”The government could not rush to table the Bill in Parliament before seeking people’s views as provided for in the country’s legislative programme.

”We cannot rush the Bill to Parliament for the sake of money. We have a programme, a clear programme that guides us when the need to amend or make a new law arises.”

He said the government was still collecting people’s views on amendment of the anti-corruption laws, adding that the Bill was a very crucial document, which needed to be prepared according to, laid down procedures.

The minister said the Bill to amend the anti-corruption laws would be tabled in Parliament in February.

”That is our story. I do not know what prompted Denmark to withdraw its support. But this is our position,” he said.

Talking about the same issue, specifically the possibility of Denmark restoring its aid level now that the government has said that it will table the draft bill on corruption in January, the Danish Ambassador to Tanzania, Carsten Nilaus Pedersen, responded: ”It is too late for the government.

It is good that they want to present the Bill to parliament now but that is contrary to our earlier agreement.”

Pedersen said they had earlier agreed with the government to present the anti-corruption legislation in the April Bunge session.

However, the government extended the time to November this year, he said, adding that, however, despite the extension, the government had failed to fulfill its commitments to date.

”We are serious about this. You cannot enter into an agreement and then just decide to break it up,” he said.
Denmark has a so-called ’Variable Tranche’ as part of its general budget support to Tanzania.

This means that for each financial year, 20 per cent of Denmark general budget support is linked to achievement of specific, jointly agreed performance criteria.

The statement issued by the Royal Danish Embassy stated that Denmark and Tanzania had agreed to link 20 per cent of its general budget support to this specific indicator but the legislation was not tabled in parliament as agreed.

Through its budget support, Denmark backs the implementation of the country’s poverty reduction strategy MKUKUTA.

Another person who responded to The Guardian on the issue was the Director of Legal and Human Rights Centre (LHRC), Helen Kijo-Bisimba, who said that the government had to respect an agreement they had reached with their Danish development partners by amending anti-corruption legislation.

”I am wondering why the government was so quick to approve the Terrorism Act despite fierce criticism and opposition. However, it became slow on anti-corruption legislation,” asked Bisimba.

She described the decision as a challenge for the government to respect development agreements.

”The Danish government had no alternative because their tax-payers must hold them accountable on how development money is spent,” she said.

On the other hand, she appealed to Denmark to be lenient and provide space for their development counterparts to finalize amendments on the anti-corruption bill.

”Instead of cutting down the budget support completely, both sides (Danish and Tanzanian governments) must talk as development partners�my suggestion is that Tanzania should be given a second chance to finalize amendments on anti-corruption within a specified timeframe,” said the human right activist.

SOURCE: Guardian

Hosea anasifiwa na ripoti hii ya saga ya IPTL.Hu ENDA ATALETA MABADILIKO.

From early on, the Prevention of Corruption Bureau, which reports directly to the President, took a lively interest in IPTL. Edward Hoseah, Director of the Bureau and Co-ordinator of the government’s anti-corruption strategy, actively pursued the case, and at one point was ready to arrest Rugemalira on corruption charges. Hoseah was systematically thwarted by the Bureau’s Director General, Maj. Gen. A L Kamazima, who along with Chenge, repeatedly told the President that there was no evidence of corruption in IPTL.

Tatizo kuu katika utendaji wa serikali ya Awamu ya nne ni kutoa ahadi nyingi bila ya kutekeleza.Sasa katika swala hili waliahidi kwamba wangetekeleza April Lakini hawakufanya,wenyewe tena wakaomba kuongezewa muda hadi novemba napo hawakutekeleza,Sasa mlitaka hao wafadhili wafanye nini?Tukumbuke wao ndiyo watoaji na walichokidai wao si kikubwa wala kibaya ni kile wengi wetu humu tumekuwa tukikiona ndiyo chanzo cha Taifa kubebeshwa mzigo katika kupitia mikataba Bomu.
Ninaamini kama huo mswada ungeandaliwa na ungepitishwa kama ilivyokubalika awali na kusimamiwa kwa umakini kiutendaji, leo tusingekuwa tunaongelea Richmond ,kwani nafikiri wasingepata tenda.Hapa sichelei kusema kwamba huenda hata huo mswada ulichelewa kupelekwa Bungeni kwa ajili ya watu kuweza kutimiza mlo wao mkubwa wa mwisho kupitia Richmond.
Mimi sikubaliani na majibu ya Mh.Marmo kwani serikali ilipotayariswa kwa haraka mswada wa ugaidi na kuupelekea bungeni na kuusimamia na kupitishwa na kuwa sheria kamili kwa haraka sana walifanya hivyo kwa minajili gani? Kwanini waliomba kuongezewa muda hadi novemba huku wakijua kwamba wasingeweza kutimiza?Mathalani hawakujua hili la muda kutotosha hapo awali kwanini wasirudi mapema kwa wenzao wa Denmark na kuwafahamisha kwamba wasingeweza kutimiza ahadi na kuwapa sababu za msingi na zenye vigezo vya kihoja na kuwaomba mapema waongezewe muda tena, kabla muda waliongezewa awali haujafikia kikomo?
Mimi nakubaliana kabisa na Bibi helen Kijo hapo juu kwamba uongozi wetu ulizembea katika hili na walijisahau kwa kutokulipa kimbau mbele hili ,Ilihali wakijua kwamba hata bajeti wanayoitegemea mwaka huu imeshikwa na hao jamaa kwa asilimia 40.Nakubaliana na mawazo ya Iddi simba pia lakini kwake yeye ninaswali moja kwanini haya mawazo hakuyatoa akiwa kwenye uongozi wa serikali?Na kwanini hakutekeleza hilo kwa vitendo ilihali alikuwa kwenye uongozi wa serikali kwa muda mrefu kidogo?

This is likely the reason because Kamazima did not retire voluntarily but was shown the door even though jk had renewed his contract not long ago.
Some very few appointments of jk make sense but most are based on returning favor to the mtandao fellas,longtime friends and ladies,as you know the man is inclined to women and there is a likelihood to be controlled by women!

very few leaders in the world are not controlled by women.... as a matter of fact, I can't think of any who is not controlled by women...

really very rarely to have the likes of Nyerere and Ghandi! Sometimes I admire the catholic church with their philosopher kings who must be unmarried men.Do you feel similar feminine control from Lydia Ngosha?just joking!

I like your broadcaster Masanja jj Masanja with his very strong accent! May be it is time to interview Hosea and see how he is going deal with the sagas especially in the energy ministry as he seems to have been making the follow up as they were happening but had no power to act under Kamazima.

SPOT ON THE NOSE ADAM

Columnists More in this Category!
Mid Week:

Spot-on Iddi Simba
Adam Lusekelo
Daily News; Wednesday,December 20, 2006 @00:05

THE Danish government has cut off aid to Bongo. Some 20 per cent has been chopped off. Former cabinet minister Iddi Simba has said the move was a blessing in disguise. I agree.

Y'see I take things as an individual. Even in running the government, you have to take things as an individual. You love your kids, you take them to school. When they are sick you take them to hospital and give them your love.

You don't buy a new Mercedes when your kids are starving. You don't get yourself a new concubine when your kids are walking naked. But, unfortunately, that's how our governments have been behaving.

Now, it is not good for one to be taken care of – man and woman. I don't like people to give me ‘aid'. I don't like people to give ‘aid' to my country. Why should they?

Anyone who pays the piper will call the tune! In this case the Danish government has wagged a warning finger that it wants good governance. That it is unhappy about corruption in the country.

Rightly so. The system in our beloved country is based on cronyism. Friends and girlfriends are rewarded even though they are suffering from abysmal ignorance of what they are instructed to do. When they waste public funds they end up being promoted. That is not getting to be very out of fashion.

Iddi Simba has said that cutting Danish aid could be a blessing in disguise. Spot-on. Foreign governments should not be pouring aid into Bongo, only for some smart-arses to grab it all.

Let's use our dosh. If it is not enough we should start asking ourselves some questions. Where did the dough go? The United Republic of Tanzania is not a poor country – simply where did the money go? To buy stupid 'shangigis' and make us some show-offs in Eastern Africa? You don't impress your kid by buying a Porsche when she is lying down with cholera. You don't impress your kid by buying a new car when the kid is sitting on the floor in what is called a classroom!

There has been a tendency of selfishness in our Tanzanian family. It has to stop. Don't think that when you eat three meals and are surrounded by sycophants then everything is okay. There are millions of desperate Tanzanians out there. They just want to live decently.

What the Danish government did is okay. It is a blessing in disguise. When you are short of money, you don't buy stupid fancy planes, you don't show-off to impress friends you-‘kaa square', as they say in ‘matatus' in Kenya. Let's get our priorities right.

It's unforgivable to let our kids sit on floor in what is called a school. It is unforgivable to have our mamas give birth on the floor of the Mwananyamala Hospital. We get aid – but where does it go? To buy ‘shangingis'?

We are not a poor country. We are just spoilt. If the Danish government cut aid they were right. I don't want anybody ‘aiding' me. I also don't want anybody ‘aiding' my beloved Bongo! We will simply start asking questions to the rest of us – where did the taxpayers money go?

mbwene2@yahoo.com

AIDS SHOULD BE STOPPED IF WE WANT TO DEVELOP PERIOD!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom