Question: should Skrtel be sold?

Once an almost certain starter to partner Daniel Agger in the heart of Liverpool’s defence, Martin Skrtel has found himself on the outer under new manager Brendan Rodgers for decent chunks of this season.
Indeed, the ‘rock’ of the Reds defence in recent years has looked shaky during the 2012-13 campaign, losing his regular spot in the heart of the back four to club legend Jamie Carragher. But with Carragher retiring at the end of the season, should Liverpool be looking to keep one of their most experienced – and one could argue most ’proven’ – defenders .. or is it time to say goodbye?
LFCTS writers Shawn Laird (the ‘defence’) and Nick Clarke (the ‘prosecution’) lay their claims for why Skrtel should stay, or go. What say you?
T H E D E F E N C E
Last season under Kenny Dalglish, the partnership between Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger continued to grow and, if anything, left most of us wanting more. I’ll admit I drooled a little over the prospect of having an impregnable defensive wall of red continue it’s fine work, despite how disappointing the last campaign may have ended. However, some of the defensive performances over the current season have left myself and other supporters scratching our heads. I don’t want Skrtel gone though - quite the opposite. I want him to stay and regain his ‘killer’ instinct.
For me, Skrtel was on top form soon after the season began, contributing as much as can be expected from a defender. Despite any derision for his supposed inability to adjust to Rodgers’ passing framework, Skrtel has the second best passing percentage among all the players on the first-team roster for this term at 90.8%. He has also made six key passes and scored twice. Along with this, Skrtel has made a total of 31 interceptions, wins 3 aerial challenges per game and will block one goal-bound shot every 90 mins.
An in-form Skrtel has always shown the will to go in for a tackle without hesitation, putting his body on the line for the team. He is the type of player who doesn’t back down - from an opponent or challenge. Skrtel also has the ability to step forward and grab ’big’ goals at crucial times - the biggest in recent memory being his strike in last season’s Carling Cup final. His goal turned the tide and gave the club the momentum to go to penalties and win the trophy.
I do agree that stats don’t justify a player staying at a club – or him being sold – but there is something else outside of the stats that really stands out; the partnership that Skrtel has formed with Agger over the past few seasons. When playing well the pair seem to be able to read each other’s minds when it comes to moving the ball or peeling off to defend a different player. It was also this partnership that helped Skrtel win the 2011-12 Player of the Season award for Liverpool, and his fourth Slovakian Player of the Year title.
Another thing that could potentially hinder the club in selling him would be his current value. There is no chance that Liverpool would be able to get close to the £20-30 million figure floated at end of the last couple of seasons. I honestly can’t see him being sold for much more than £10-12 million and, while that sounds like a decent sale, he is worth much more than that. As a defender, he has entered his prime years and , just as his Liverpool career started slowly, I believe it is simply a matter of time before he adapts to the finer details of Rodgers’ on-field philosophy.
Finally, this whole “fallout” he has had with Rodgers has been blown entirely out of proportion. I honestly believe that Rodgers has simply wanted Skrtel to push harder in training to regain his form and his starting spot. It worked earlier in the season with both Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson, so why wouldn’t it work with Skrtel? Rodgers public ‘outing’ of certain players has seen them completely turn their games around .. there’s nothing to suggest big Martin can’t do it too.
Regardless of his current standing in the club and his perceived dip in form, looking at his stats and knowing the kind of partnership he has with Agger, I don’t feel that Martin Skrtel should be sold in the summer window. It’s doubtful Rodgers will have the ability to bring in a world-class centre-back in the next transfer window, and it’s my opinion that forcing Agger to form a new partnership would only be more of a hindrance to the establishment of a solid back four.
T H E P R O S E C U T I O N
Since Liverpool’s humbling by Oldham in the FA cup, Martin Skrtel has found himself out of the side and hasn’t started a match since the 2-0 loss at Zenit St Petersburg. Despite playing every minute of Liverpool’s seven matches in December, Jamie Carragher has kept Skrtel out of the side in 2013 with a string of inspiring performances which has fuelled speculation that Skrtel’s tenure at Anfield may be over.
The Slovakian captain was signed from Zenit in 2008 for a fee of £6.5m and quickly adapted to the physicality of the Premier League. However Skrtel’s sometimes clumsy nature and lack of true ball-playing ability have been costly this season, particularly in the first clash with Manchester City when his poor back-pass gifted Carlos Tevez the equaliser. With Carragher hanging up his boots at the end of the season Rodgers finds his options at centre back depleted and will look to strengthen in the summer, which could result in Skrtel leaving the club.
With Skrtel injured for the last few weeks, Rodgers appears to have had nothing but full confidence in the partnership of Jamie Carragher and Daniel Agger. This confidence was reaffirmed by the fact that, despite Skrtel’s return to fitness in time for the Spurs match last weekend, Carragher was still chosen to start. Rodgers’ supposed lack of faith appears to have dampened Skrtel’s relationship with his manager, further hinting that he could be let go in the Summer window.
We have spoken but it’s not ideal. He (Rodgers) told me something on this, gave me some explanation, but it’s hard to tell if it was the true reason he gave me.”
Skrtel has not started a Premier League match since January 13th, after the 2-1 defeat to Manchester United. With Carragher keeping Skrtel out of the side, it has been difficult to determine what kind of form the Slovakian is in. So far this season in the Premier League, Skrtel has won 65% of all duels. Straight up defending has never been a problem for Skrtel since he is strong both on the tackle and in the air.
However it appears that Rodgers expects more of his centre backs in an attacking sense, something which Daniel Agger excels in. Skrtel’s lack of confidence on the ball is illustrated by the fact his passes in the opposition half dropped in accuracy from 90% (passes within own half) to 73%. While these are still good statistics, Skrtel has also been at fault for two direct goals this season – more than any other outfield player.
As previously stated, Brendan Rodgers wants his centre backs to have confidence when on the ball and not be afraid to pass to teammates who could sometimes be in crowded areas of the pitch. Simply put, Skrtel is not this type of centre back and I don’t think he can be turned into one any time soon. Rodgers’ system of high possession implies that it is not bad to pass back to your defence or goalkeeper. When Agger, Johnson or Enrique are on the ball I expect them to find a man, but I just don’t have the same confidence in Skrtel who often resorts to kicking the ball long. Once again, this is not bad defending, but it does not suit the attacking style of play that Liverpool are striving to achieve.
Two aspects of defending that are vital but cannot be described with statistics are leadership and defensive alignment. While at his best, Skrtel is a courageous defender who will never back out of a challenge. However, you rarely see him sorting out the back four or leading the defence. Since being reinstated in the side, it can clearly be seen that veteran Jamie Carragher brings a sense of security to the back four, barking orders and ensuring they stay in shape. This is one of Carragher’s best assets and will be sorely missed come the end of the season.
Should Rodgers and Liverpool let Skrtel go, who to replace him with is a vital decision. Liverpool’s current defencecould arguably cope with the pressures of the Champions League. Daniel Agger is one of the best centre backs in England, Johnson has improved his defending this season and as always is an attacking threat, and Jose Enrique has returned to his best in recent weeks. Therefore, if Skrtel is shown the door at the end of the season Rodgers would have to replace him with someone of Champions League quality. The only concrete interest so far is young Feyenoord captain Stefan De Vrij. Rodgers has seen and watched the 21-year-old and has been impressed as he has gone back to check on him again since. He is rated at around £10m, but there is interest across both the Premier League and Europe.
While in previous years Skrtel has shown himself to be a capable defender, I think that the system with which Rodgers lives by does not suit him at all, and this is why he must be sold. Rodgers has shown that he will not adapt his system to fit with one player and it may be that Skrtel is now too old to adapt himself to a completely different style of play.
Given this dilemma over Skrtel, together with doubts surrounding the young Sebastian Coates, it appears that Liverpool’s back four could well have a new look for next season. While I salute Skrtel for the never say die attitude that is instilled in him, if Liverpool really want to move on then Skrtel will have to as well.

There it is, Reds! Let us know your take on this debate: Should Skrtel stay or go?
Images courtesy of Steve Parry of LFC Hong Kong / stats courtesy of whoscored.com
Tuesday Throwdown: The Curious Case Of Martin Skrtel | LFCTS

Brad Jones hata sijui vipi anapangwa kuwa Kipa wakati yule Dogo mwengine mkali kushinda yeye Kipa gani Southampton 2-0 na Game is Over.

Brad Jones hata sijui vipi anapangwa kuwa Kipa wakati yule Dogo mwengine mkali kushinda yeye Kipa gani Southampton 2-0 na Game is Over.

Mwaka huu Arsenal na liverpool hakuna anayeweza kumcheka mwenzake kwa kuwa na kipa wa uhakika...

HT 2 - 1 LFC Coutinho kafunga Poor kweli kwa LiverpoolFC Mguu mmoja mbele Mguu mmoja nyuma ndio mwendo wetu aibu kweli, LFC tunahitaji Middle zile zenye Speed,nguvu, na akili muda wa SG ushaisha sio kila siku asubiriwe yeye tu. sema hii game ni over ushindi wa LFC leo ni 2-2 zaidi ya hapo Southampton wanatudidimiza zaidi. Bora Hendo aingie atoke Allen then atoke Coutinho aingie Ibe kwenye dk 66 hivi.

Mwaka huu Arsenal na liverpool hakuna anayeweza kumcheka mwenzake kwa kuwa na kipa wa uhakika...

Bora Arsenal kwa kipa kama Jones sio kipa kabisa Arsenal wanabahati mbaya tu naona wanatimu nzuri maumivi ya mabeki ndio inawaangusha sizani kama ni Kipa kwa Arsenal.

HT 2 - 1 LFC Coutinho kafunga Poor kweli kwa LiverpoolFC Mguu mmoja mbele Mguu mmoja nyuma ndio mwendo wetu aibu kweli, LFC tunahitaji Middle zile zenye Speed,nguvu, na akili muda wa SG ushaisha sio kila siku asubiriwe yeye tu. sema hii game ni over ushindi wa LFC leo ni 2-2 zaidi ya hapo Southampton wanatudidimiza zaidi. Bora Hendo aingie atoke Allen then atoke Coutinho aingie Ibe kwenye dk 66 hivi.

akitoka cotinho mtashinda kweli..

Bora Arsenal kwa kipa kama Jones sio kipa kabisa Arsenal wanabahati mbaya tu naona wanatimu nzuri maumivi ya mabeki ndio inawaangusha sizani kama ni Kipa kwa Arsenal.

Yule mpolish Szczesny kaicost Arsenal magoli kibao, ilifikia kipindi alikuwa shuti moja goli moja kama enzi za Almunia. Huyu Fabianski naye subiri utamwona atakavyoanza kufungisha akishakuwa comfortable kuwa ni golikipa number 1. Arsenal wanahitaji kipa mzoefu sema kama unavyojua Arsenal wabahili kumwaga pesa, Mabeki wetu nao wanadema dema mwaka huu, maybe Arsenal wanahitaji defensive na goalkeeping Coach. Pepe pamoja na uzuri, uzoefu wake na kuumia umia nadhani kashakata tamaa ya kuendelea kuchezea timu hiyo. Sitoshangaa akirudi Spain muda si mrefu.

tunatofauti gani na Southampton? sie sio tena Top Team limebaki jina tu kuitengeneza hii timu tutakuja kuona Swansea ndio wanachukuwa nafasi zetu pale kati utumbo mtupu sioni Steven Gerrad alichokuwa akifanya Coutinho walikuwa wamtoe toka dk ya 66 amuingize Hendo au Ibe ROger hajiamini.

Southampton-v-Liverpool-Morgan-Schneiderlin-p_2916120.jpg
Southampton-v-Liverpool-Rickie-Lambert-pa_2916149.jpg

Naona zile spidi zenu zimefika mwisho.msimu huu Everton wanamaliza juu yenu

Kwa mshabiki wa ukweli wa Liverpool anayehitaji hizi polo aniPM, nakusanya oda kwa sasa na mzigo hapa UK, bei ni Tshs 70,000/=. You will never walk alone...

ly5_1_cloudzoom.jpg

[h=5]Additional product images:[/h]
LY5_2_AltImage.jpg

[h=1]Liverpool Mens Stripe Polo[/h]
[h=4]Colour:[/h]White/Grey Marl/Red

[h=4]Product Detail:[/h]
  • Liverpool short sleeve jersey polo shirt.
  • Embroidered logo to the chest.
  • 65% polyester 35% cotton.
  • Ribbed collar and sleeve trim.
  • Three button placket.
  • Straight split hem.

Aston Vila 1-0 Liverpool
Ni mapumziko mpaka Sasa Hali Bado ngumu Suarez Kakosa magoli mawili ya wazi kabisa. Anyway tutashinda tu mwisho Wa siku

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool: Long way to go for this team - Rodgers

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says his team "still have a long way to go" to be at the level he wants, despite a "very good" 2-1 win at Aston Villa.
Liverpool showed "character and resilience" to come from behind through Jordan Henderson and a Steven Gerrard penalty after Christian Benteke had given struggling Villa the lead.
The Anfield club sit in seventh place in the Premier League, five points behind Arsenal in fifth who occupy the Europa League qualifying spot.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21988206

Back
Top Bottom