Exclusive: Liverpool look primed to post club football’s first €100m-plus profit

21st January 2019

Liverpool may be about to become the first football club in history to report an annual net profit of more than €100 million.

The Merseyside club are clear at the top of the Premier League in pursuit of their first English top-tier title since 1990. But their financial success has more to do with their transfer dealings, along with last season’s exploit of finishing runner-up in the Champions League

That European run, which saw them lose the final to Real Madrid, earned the Reds €81.3 million. Since the club did not participate in European competition in 2016-17, this should constitute pure top-line growth.

The other big positive should be Philippe Coutinho’s January 2018 transfer to Barcelona. Having spent nearly five years with the club since joining from Internazionale, one would expect the bulk of the fee for the Brazilian – assessed by Transfermarkt at £117 million – to pass direct to the bottom line.

Liverpool also bought a quartet of first-teamers comprising Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Andrew Robertson during the course of its financial year ending 31 May 2018. But one would expect aggregate fees of something like £150 million for these new arrivals to be spread over the length of their respective contracts for accounting purposes.

One can never be quite certain until the accounts arrive at Companies House, which in Liverpool’s case tends to happen in early-March, but my back-of-envelope arithmetic goes like this.

Turnover, which reached £364 million in 2016-17, could soar to more than £450 million, thanks to that Champions League money supplemented by smaller increases in matchday revenue, domestic media payments and perhaps commercial.

However, amortisation and I would think wages – £207.5 million in 2016-17 – would be substantially higher. So operating profit, while likely to be higher than last time’s £6.9 million might not be hugely eye-catching.

Profit on player sales, though, may be enormous – conceivably more than £100 million. While there might be unforeseeable one-off charges, making allowance for interest payments and tax still leaves me with a figure for bottom-line profits in excess of £100 million.

This would surpass Leicester City’s remarkable achievement of posting a pre-tax profit of £92.5 million in 2016-17, a record year for Premier League club finances.

UEFA has actually dropped a heavy hint that the Merseysiders have indeed broken the Foxes’ record. Hidden away in its latest European club benchmarking report is the following sentence: “UEFA Champions League prize money of €82m drove Leicester City FC to the highest net profit in history in FY2017 (€98m), beating the previous record of €78m set by Tottenham Hotspur FC in FY2014 (with Liverpool FC set to break that record again in FY2018).”

It seems the days when clubs had to choose between financial and on-field success are well and truly behind us.

Hizi ni habari nzuri sana.

Team iko stable financially.

Team ina matokeo mazuri.

Team ina scouts na kocha ambaye anahamasisha wachezaji kutaka kufanya naye kazi.

Ikifanikiwa kuchukua EPL mwaka huu, naona kabisa we are going to have a good run in next 5 years. We might dethrone Man Utd during this period.

Let's believe.

if that is the case; is better u shut up and wait for the people who knows better than to come out with answers!

Sent using Jamii Forums mobile app

I will not shut up!
If you wanted "those who know" to answer your question, you could have sent the question to their PMs directly instead of posting it here in a public domain, where ANYONE can answer anyhow without breaching JF's laws.

Once again, it is only Buvac who knows what happened for him to decide to leave the club.

Pretending to know much is childish behaviour! I have been here especially on this platform for more than a decade...and you never find me in this stupid arguement of yours!
and this is my last response to you!
I will not shut up!
If you wanted "those who know" to answer your question, you could have sent the question to their PMs directly instead of posting it here in a public domain, where ANYONE can answer anyhow without breaching JF's laws.

Once again, it is only Buvac who knows what happened for him to decide to leave the club.

Hizi ni habari nzuri sana.

Team iko stable financially.

Team ina matokeo mazuri.

Team ina scouts na kocha ambaye anahamasisha wachezaji kutaka kufanya naye kazi.

Ikifanikiwa kuchukua EPL mwaka huu, naona kabisa we are going to have a good run in next 5 years. We might dethrone Man Utd during this period.

Let's believe.
Kweli kabisa, we will restore our position as the best team in England and one among the European Royalties.

Pretending to know much is childish behaviour! I have been here especially on this platform for more than a decade...and you never find me in this stupid arguement of yours!
and this is my last response to you!

Am being realistic here, no pretense of any sort ndugu.
No one knows better than Buvac himself the reason why he left the club.
Majibu yoyote unayoyatafuta kwa mtu asiye Buvac, ni just speculations.

Ox is back in training, like wise fab awe fit tuwe tuna depth yakutosha

IMG_6695.JPG

According to the experts at CIES Football Observatory, Xherdan Shaqiri's value has increased by £35.5million to £48.5m. Fabinho’s has increased by a reported £41million, meaning he is now worth £76m. Alisson’s new value is £93million - a huge increase of £26million

Kuna day before hapa niliongelea kuwa Milner kwa sasa (due to his age) hawezi kuwa ahead of TAA

But nilipata negative responses nyingi sana zikidai kuwa Milner ni miles away better for RB compared to TAA.

Lakini nadhani Game ya juzi imeprove kuhusu umuhimu wa TAA kuwepo kikosini na nani yupo ahead ya mwenzake.

TAA amecheza na against ZAHA kwa misimu MITATU mfululizo na kumzima completely katika mechi zote Home and Away.

Lakini Milner Kucheza na Zaha game moja tu basi kashindwa kufurukuta

Kwahiyo Palace wameprove kuwa TAA ndiye RB wetu bora kwa sasa.

Kuna day before hapa niliongelea kuwa Milner kwa sasa (due to his age) hawezi kuwa ahead of TAA

But nilipata negative responses nyingi sana zikidai kuwa Milner ni miles away better for RB compared to TAA.

Lakini nadhani Game ya juzi imeprove kuhusu umuhimu wa TAA kuwepo kikosini na nano yupo ahead ya mwenzake.

TAA amecheza na against ZAHA kwa misimu MITATU mfululizo na kumzima completely katika mechi zote Home and Away.

Lakini Milner Kucheza na Zaha game moja tu basi kashindwa kufurukuta

Kwahiyo Palace wameprove kuwa TAA ndiye RB wetu bora kwa sasa.
TAA in RB yupo ahead of Milli miles ahead.

TAA has his faults bt Millie was worse vs Palace, going forward he was better ila defence he was worse n age nayo is catching up.

Back
Top Bottom