Customs (TRA) inavyohujumu waagizao magari ya Japan

Nimepokea hii mail, kwa kweli hali ni mbaya sana hapo bandari kama huyu mdau anavyoelezea. Yote aliyosema ni kweli, magari ya 1999 yanakataliwa na kupigwa 20% CIF penalty kisa ni ka-label fulani kwenye seatbelt ambako wanakaangalia. Imenikumba mwezi uliopita.Nina uchungu sana kwani ilibidi nilipe penalty kukwepa storage charges wakati nikishughulikia hiyo query.

Hako ka-label mara nyingi kanaweza kuwa na mwaka tofauti na umri wa gari ambao ndiyo unaidhinishwa na mamlaka husika ya serikali ya Japan (JAAI).

Sasa customs wanagoma kwamba ni umri fake ulioidhinishwa na wakala wa wizara ya usafiri ya huko magari yanakofyatuliwa.

Dear Customers,
Good day to all of you.
This is Masao Kuwabara of Autorec Tanzania Limited and Toru Ogawa of Autorec Enterprise LTD. Japan.

Thanks to you, we have been operating business in Tanzania with lots of joy.But there have been one serious problem that all the exporters, not only Autorec, who do business with Tanzania are facing. We have been making lots of effort to solve the problem, but it still remains in Tanzania.

Today, I'd like to figure out what is happening in Tanzania against used vehicle trade. And we'll appreciate a lot if you'll give us your advices on this issue.

As all of you are aware, IMPORT REGULATION against used vehicles have been started in Tanzania since July 2006. Now if one will import used vehicles whose age is exceeding 10 years, they will be penalised and charged extra 20% excise duty.

This kind of regulation is found with several more countries. And as a trader who do business with Tanzania, we respect the country's policy.We shall not go against it or complain about it.

Therefore, since this policy started, we have been trying to adjust our stock so that they will meet the demand of customers in Tanzania. Now you may find many 1999+ vehicles in our stock.

But there's a serious problem with this policy as it has been operated without clear definition about the AGE OF THE VEHICLES. Let us share one sample story here.

1) Unreasonable penalties against some importers in Tanzania. Some time ago, one of the customer has bought JZX100 MARK II 1999 model.As this is of year 1999, definitely, the customer didin't have to be penalised.

However, once the vehicle reached Dar es salaam port, the officers ofTanzania's Customs have inspected the vehicle phisically, and finally started saying that this vehicle is manufactured in 1995! They said so because they found a small label on the vehicle's seatbelt saying "1995"; While the vehicle had come with the EXPORT CERTIFICATE issued and authorised by Govenment of Japan and another certificate issued by JAAI (Japan Automobile Appraisal Institute), both clearly indicates its year as 1999, Customs office still insist that this vehicle is of 1995 and thus should be penalised.

2) Manufactured year of seatbelt is not manufactured year of the vehicle Actually, I have done some research about the label on the seatbelt while I was still in Japan. I have communicated with TOKAI RIKA company, who is the manufacturer / supplier of the seatbelts for TOYOTA's products. They told me that the information on the label of the seatbelt simply shows the manufactured year of the seatbelt itself!

In heavy industries such as vehicle manufacture, the products are manufactured by cooperation of several companies so that they can reduce the time and cost. If it is about this MARK II, there should be seatbelt manufacturer, window screen manufacturer, computer manufacturer, tyre manufacturer,electric parts manufacturer, head lamp manufactuer, gasket manufacturer,tube manufacturer, bolt and nut manufactuer and so on and so forth.

Each manufactured parts will be brought to the warehouse or the factory of vehicle manufacturers (such as TOYOTA) and then a unit of vehicle will be assembled there. It is very much possible for some parts to spend several months or even more than a year before it will be assembled to a vehicle.

Therefore, NO BODY CAN DEFINE THE AGE OF THE VEHICLE FROM THE SEATBELT LABEL OR ANY OTHER PARTS OF THE VEHICLES. Especially, with this JZX100 MARK II, it is totally wrong for them to insist that this was manufactured in 1995. There's a clear reason to deny their statement. Why??? Because TOYOTA STARTED SELLING JZX100 IN LATE 1996!! THEREFORE,IN 1995, THIS PARTICULAR MODEL DIDN'T EXIST EVEN ON CATALOGUES!!!

3) Definition of the vehicles age in Japan.
Unfortunately, we learnt that there are some misunderstandings among the Customs officers at the port about definition about the age of the vehicles. Once they find the labels on the belts like this, they just disregard the authorized documents and try to charge additional duty against importers. And this is totally wrong.

Most of the vehicles we sell originate in Japan. Therefore, we process the paper work and other arrangements based on the documents published by the Government of Japan, Government of MANUFACTURERS' COUNTRY.

On this official document called-Export Certificate-, it only shows the YEAR OF FIRST REGISTRATION of the vehicles. There is no information about MANUFACTURED YEAR. This is how they control the product in Japan.Information of manufactured year of the vehicles are not obtainable.

Both for domestic and oversea market, the used / new vehicles suppliers do the paper work by using the data on this document because there are no other official documents to identify the vehicles. But to the Customs in Tanzania, it looks like this document is not acceptable. The differences on the definition of the AGE OF THE VEHICLES between Tanzania and Japan is creating serious problems.

4) Autorec's efforts to solve this problem One day, I have seen Commissioner for Customs and Excise face to face in his office and discussed about this problem.Unfortunately, there was no good solution on that day. Commissioner told me that this is just a minor problem as these are only a few cases among lots of cars.

Instead, he promised me that he was going to solve these one by one by communicating with the manufacturers in Japan to know the actual manufactured year once the same case comes out. Believing his word, when we had another problem with NISSAN MARCH, chassis number k11-683281, I asked for his assistance.

I was thinking that he has a special relationship with the manufactures in Japan and he can get such information that we can not get from them. However, instead of contacting NISSAN MOTORS in Japan, he contacted D.T.Dobbie (NISSAN distributor in Tanzania). Once D.T.Dobie told him that they dont deal in used cars, it was the end of his investigation.

We, Autorec, has contacted NISSAN MOTORS by ourselves, explained the situation, and finally got a letter from NISSAN to identify the manufactured year of this unit as an exceptional case (they normally don't publish such information).

We brought this letter to the Commissioner and we believed that this will be solved. But I was surprised to know the Commissioner's next action. Once again, he sent this letter from NISSAN to D.T.Dobbie, and once again, D.T.Dobbie told him that they don't deal with used cars, and once again, it was the end of his investigation!

Why should he communicate with D.T.Dobbie while we brought him the letter from original manufacturer? This is very much not understandable. The case remained unsolved. On another day, I received a letter from the Commissioner as a reply to my letters. In that message, he was saying that now he understood that the year on the seatbelt label is not the year of manufactured year ofthe vehicle.

But still then, the people of the Customs are still judging the age of the vehicle by checking the seatbelts and other small parts. We have been fighting against this misunderstanding. We have been sending letters to Commisioner of Customs and Excise again and again. We send CC to TBS, TRA, Ministry of Finance, JAAI, Embassy of Tanzania in Japan and Embassy of Japan in Tanzania.

We have been appealing that the importers in Tanzania should not be charged unfair duties from such a misunderstanding.

Unfortunately, the Commissioner of Customs is not even replying to our letters these days. Then we have also sent simillar letter to Parmanent Secretary of Ministry of Finance. We also got diplomatic support from Embassy of Japan in Tanzania, Japanese Ambassador has sent an official letter to Ministry of Finance.

We are hearing that in August 2007, by sending letter to the Commissioner for Customs and Excise, Ministry of Finance has advised them to reconsider the definition of the age of the vehicle. But we haven't seen any changes even after that.

We have been explaing all about this to the people mentioned above and asking them to reconsider the definition of the age of the vehicle. In January 2008, I have spoken to the people of Embassy of Japan once again and asked for some diplomatic assistance because I was feeling that the authority in this country is not interested to listen to the voice of one small vehicle supplier.

This time, the First Secretary of Embassy of Japan has met Commissioner for Customs and Excise by himself and discussed on the same issue. According to the story I heard from the Secretary, the Commissioner has understood the situation and promissed that he will work on this to solve the problem.

Embassy of Japan has wrote an official letter once again to appeal that the vehicles' age should be defined based on the official documents because there's nothing else apart from that.

5) Problem for Autorec, the supplier.
The issue itself is something between the importers and the Customs in Tanzania. Therefore, the authority treat us as if we are just outsiders. It seems as if they are saying that it is not something that a supplier like Autorec should interrupt. But the situation doesn’t allow us to sit behind.

We explain the nature of these problems to the importers (our customers) who actually suffered this problem and advice them to insist against the Customs that they have the proper vehicle and official documents. But instead of fighting against misunderstandings of Customs authority, some of them actually turn around and start attacking Autorec, saying that Autorec has sent fake documents / cars and cheated them!

Some of them even threaten us that they are going to take it a court case or attack us through media. This is totally not acceptable because Autorec has done nothing wrong in the procedures. Something more unpleasant for us is the fact that some of the Customs officers, when they found the seatbelt label which has different information with the official document, tell the importers that the supplier (Autorec) has tricked them with forged documents!!!

We totally don't understand why people on a responsible position can say such an irresponsible word without doing researches!!!! This is like executing someone for guilty without properly checking!!! This is a clear offensive disturbance to our business. Or they are making us a scapegoat so that the importers will not complain against them.

And as you can see, this is not a problem only for Autorec, but for the used vehicle trade business as a whole. Indeed, this is actually creating a very negative image not only to our business but for the customers in Tanzania who intend to import used vehicles from Japan. While we are shipping the right vehicles in right procedure with proper documents (authorized by the Government of manufacturer・fs country), some importers misjudge that we are cheating them.
This would be a serious damage to us if they continue doing this.I understand the anger and disappointment of the importers who are charged of the penalty of 20% against a vehicle they bought as less 10-year-old cars. But even if they attack us, there・fs no solution because there was nothing wrong on our side. Therefore, we need a fundamental solution.

6) Similar problem and its solution in Kenya.
In Kenya, several years ago, they had the same problem as they also have year regulation against used vehicle import. Actually, the problem was more serious in Kenya, because once the vehicle would be recognised as over 8-year-old, they are simply not allowed to import that car. Therefore, the importers in Kenya had fought against the authority by themselves. Of course, we, the suppliers, also assisted them.

As a result, Kenya's Ministries, KRA(Kenya Revenue Authority) and KBS(Kenya Bereau of Standard) have worked together to solve this problem, and finally decided to judge the year of the cars based on the information on the documents.

Since then, there has been no such trouble on the same issue in Kenya.This story gives an idea that there's no solution so long as they continue checking the seatbelts and other parts.

Thank you very much indeed for reading such a long story. But I'm sure this is a serious problem that any of you may also suffer.We have been fighting against this, but as this is an internal problem in this country, something that a foreigner can do is limited.

As an outsider, we cannot intervene the country's policy. Not having good fruit after such a lot of effort, we are feeling as if we are stucked. Therefore, now we'll appreciate if you'll give us your ideas and view to solve this problem. Once again, thank you very much indeed for your understanding and assistance to us.

Best regards, Masao Kuwabara Autorec Tanzania Limited
AUTOREC ENTERPRISE LTD.E-MAIL: ogawa@autorec.co.jp
TEL: (+81)5675-6-6111
FAX: (+81)5675-6-6511
ADDRESS: 2-1 Nishishijimi Yatomi Aichi 490-1427 Japan.

Mfwatiliaji: Hii issue should have gone to court; mngewasaidia watanzania wengi sana. Hizo storage charge wangelipa hao TRA. Hii ya kukubali yaishe ndio inatuletea matatizo. Hapa kuna clear case ya TRA kuleta uhuni, yaani wao hawawezi kuamini aunthentic documents wanaamini ka-label kwenye seat ya gari hapo kuna akili kweli?

TRA wana tatizo la kutojiamini ambalo in turn linasababisha wasiwaamini watanzania. Solution siku moja apatikane mtanzania courageous awapeleke mahakamani watapata akili na watajipanga vizuri zaidi.

mfwatiliaji, ahsante sana kwa hayo. Mimi binafsi yamenikuta hayo and I ended up paying a little bit more than 1m just because of the seat belts. I am so sure tunahitaji mtaalam wa ki-Japan kuja kutoa ushauri kwa hilo, inaonyesha kuwa hatuna wataalam wa masuala ya viwanda vya magari hapo TRA.

Kama una pdf au word version ya hiyo tubandikie tuisukume bungeni kuna wabunge wengi hawana data za kuongea labda hiyo itawasaidia waonekane wa maana.

Wakuu Customs si kwenye magari kila sehemu wana uplift sana kodi. Mi nilitumaga kiparcel pale post ndani kuna kakofia kamoja na cover la nailoni la gari la kuzuia vumbi. Sasa si nikaandika value ya ukweli yaani cover USD. 54 na kofia USD.7, jumla USD.61. Basi hiyo computation ilivyofanyika vituko vitupu. Yaani wakachukua
USD 61 * 15%(Insurance)= USD.70.15
Add Freight USD.74 = USD.144
Import Duty(25% of 144)= USd.36
VAT (20% of 144)= USD.36

Basi kwa vitu vyenye dhamani ya USD.61.00 kodi ikawa Tzs. 80,000 Can you imagine!!!!!!

Nikamwambia niliyemtumia alalamikena kweli akapeleka barua mpaka kwa Commissioner na vielelezo vyote hakuna majibu wala nini. Eti baada ya wiki 2 mtu wa elimu wa walipa kodi anampigia mtu niliyemtumia ooh ujue njoo hapa Water Front tukuelekeze jinsi
ya kuappeal.

Basi baadaye ya wiki 2 nikatuma tena mzigo wa dola kama 300. Value nikaandika USD.10.00. Du jamaa wamechaji Tzs. 10,000. Nikacheka kweli kweli. Hivyo nawaomba wote mnaotuma percel huko nyumbani wekeni value ndogo tu,TRA Mazimbukuku tu especially pale posta. Na kama uko TZ na unanunua vitu online waambie watume invoice on separate mail na sio kwenye percel na waandike value ndogo kwenye percel

Sio siri TRA specificaly customs wanamuonea sana mlipa kodi mdogo(Kwanza inabidi wawajibishwe kwenye EPA, yaani wao walilala tu na hawakukusanya kodi kwenye zile kampuni 22, Na RichMond/Dowans wamelipa kodi kiasi gani kwenye zile Tzs. 75 Billion walizoiba, somebody big in TRA must go sio tuishie tu kwa Mnyika na Hosea).

Huko kwenye magari wanafanya tax computation kwenye CIF figure na wala sio FBO Value. Sasa insurannce na Freight ina uhusiano gani na gharama ya gari? Hawaamini any export documentation na hata TISCAN anayefanya verifiaction haaminiwi. Wao wanaangalia mikanda ya magari. Mi nadhani nikiagiza la kwangu nitawaambia wajapani watoe mikanda wantumie kwa posta au wafiche kwenye buti. Gari inakuja bila mikanda.

Kitila point nzuri sana ya kuwasue lakini si Watanzania kila mtu na lwake, watu wanalalama chini chini tu na kusema hewala bwana("Waafrika ndio tulivyo" by Nyani Ngabu) Angalau hawa wajapan wameanza kulalama na si ndio donors hawa hili litasikilizwa. TRA wamefanya kosa kubwa sana kuwatupia lawama hawa masupplier kuwa wanauza magari ya zamani. Wajapani kwenye exportation ya magari wako reliable, mi nawafahamu maswahiba wangu kama 5 hivi wanatuma 100% Advance Payment kwa Auto Rec, VWest na hata Car Junction. Jamaa wantuma ka mtumba kako kama kalivyo kwenye picture.

Nimepata hii e mail kutoka kwa mtu wa Autorec hapo Dar kuhusu matatizo ya kuingiza magari ya Japan na watu wa customs hapo Dar es salaam. Kwa wale wanaotegemea kuagiza nadhani hii ni habari muhimu kufahamu.

Dear Customers,

Good day to all of you.

This is Masao Kuwabara of Autorec Tanzania Limited and Toru Ogawa of Autorec Enterprise LTD. Japan.

Thanks to you, we have been operating business in Tanzania with lots of joy.

But there have been one serious problem that all the exporters, not only Autorec, who do business with Tanzania are facing. We have been making lots of effort to solve the problem, but it still remains in Tanzania.

Today, I'd like to figure out what is happening in Tanzania against used vehicle trade. And we'll appreciate a lot if you'll give us your advices on this issue.

As all of you are aware, IMPORT REGULATION against used vehicles have been started in Tanzania since July 2006. Now if one will import used vehicles whose age is exceeding 10 years, they will be penalised and charged extra 20% excise duty.
This kind of regulation is found with several more countries. And as a trader who do business with Tanzania, we respect the country's policy. We shall not go against it or complain about it. Therefore, since this policy started, we have been trying to adjust our stock so that they will meet the demand of customers in Tanzania.

Now you may find many 1999+ vehicles in our stock. But there's a serious problem with this policy as it has been operated without clear definition about the AGE OF THE VEHICLES.

Let us share one sample story here.

1) Unreasonable penalties against some importers in Tanzania

Some time ago, one of the customer has bought JZX100 MARK II 1999model. As this is of year 1999, definitely, the customer didin't have to be penalised.

However, once the vehicle reached Dar es salaam port, the officers of Tanzania's Customs have inspected the vehicle phisically, and finally started saying that this vehicle is manufactured in 1995! They said so because they found a small label on the vehicle's seatbelt saying "1995".

While the vehicle had come with the EXPORT CERTIFICATE issued and authorised by Govenment of Japan and another certificate issued by JAAI (Japan Automobile Appraisal Institute), both clearly indicates its year as 1999, Customs office still insist that this vehicle is of 1995 and thus should be penalised.

2) Manufactured year of seatbelt is not manufactured year of the vehicle

Actually, I have done some research about the label on the seatbelt while I was still in Japan. I have communicated with TOKAI RIKA company, who is the manufacturer / supplier of the seatbelts for TOYOTA's products. They told me that the information on the label of the seatbelt simply shows the manufactured year of the seatbelt itself!

In heavy industries such as vehicle manufacture, the products are manufactured by cooperation of several companies so that they can reduce the time and cost. If it is about this MARK II, there should be seatbelt manufacturer, window screen manufacturer, computer manufacturer, tyre manufacturer, electric parts manufacturer, head lamp manufactuer, gasket manufacturer, tube manufacturer, bolt & nut manufactuer and so on and so forth.

Each manufactured parts will be brought to the warehouse or the factory of vehicle manufacturers (such as TOYOTA) and then a unit of vehicle will be assembled there. It is very much possible for some parts to spend several months or even more than a year before it will be assembled to a vehicle. Therefore, NO BODY CAN DEFINE THE AGE OF THE VEHICLE FROM THE SEATBELT LABEL OR ANY OTHER PARTS OF THE VEHICLES. Especially, with this JZX100 MARK II, it is totally wrong for them to insist that this was manufactured in 1995. There's a clear reason to deny their statement. Why??? Because TOYOTA STARTED SELLING JZX100 IN LATE 1996!! THEREFORE, IN 1995, THIS PARTICULAR MODEL DIDN'T EXIST EVEN ON CATALOGUES!!!

3) Definition of the vehicle's age in Japan

Unfortunately, we learnt that there are some misunderstandings among the Customs officers at the port about definition about the age of the vehicles. Once they find the labels on the belts like this, they just disregard the authorized documents and try to charge additional duty against importers. And this is totally wrong. Most of the vehicles we sell originate in Japan. Therefore, we process the paper work and other arrangements based on the documents published by the Government of Japan, Government of MANUFACTURERS' COUNTRY.

On this official document called Export Certificate, it only shows the YEAR OF FIRST REGISTRATION of the vehicles. There's no information about MANUFACTURED YEAR. This is how they control the product in Japan. Information of manufactured year of the vehicles are not obtainable. Both for domestic and oversea market, the used / new vehicles suppliers do the paper work by using the data on this document because there are no other official documents to identify the vehicles.

But to the Customs in Tanzania, it looks like this document is not acceptable. The differences on the definition of the AGE OF THE VEHICLES between Tanzania and Japan is creating serious problems.

4) Autorec's efforts to solve this problem

One day, I have seen Commissioner for Customs and Excise face to face in his office and discussed about this problem. Unfortunately, there was no good solution on that day. Commissioner told me that this is just a minor problem as these are only a few cases among lots of cars. Instead, he promised me that he's going to solve these one by one by communicating with the manufacturers in Japan to know the actual manufactured year once the same case comes out.

Believing his word, when we had another problem with NISSAN MARCH, chassis number k11-683281, I asked for his assistance. I was thinking that he has a special relationship with the manufactures in Japan and he can get such information that we can not get from them. However, instead of contacting NISSAN MOTORS in Japan, he contacted D.T.Dobbie (NISSAN's distributor in Tanzania). Once D.T.Dobie told him that they don't deal in used cars, it was the end of his investigation.

We, Autorec, has contacted NISSAN MOTORS by ourselves, explained the situation, and finally got a letter from NISSAN to identify the manufactured year of this unit as an exceptional case (they normally don't publish such information).

We brought this letter to the Commissioner and we believed that this will be solved. But I was surprised to know the Commissioner's next action. Once again, he sent this letter from NISSAN to D.T.Dobbie, and once again, D.T.Dobbie told him that they don't deal with used cars, and once again, it was the end of his investigation!

Why should he communicate with D.T.Dobbie while we brought him the letter from original manufacturer? This is very much not understandable. The case remained unsolved.

On another day, I received a letter from the Commissioner as a reply to my letters. In that message, he was saying that now he understood that the year on the seatbelt label is not the year of manufactured year of the vehicle. But still then, the people of the Customs are still judging the age of the vehicle by checking the seatbelts and other small parts.

We have been fighting against this misunderstanding. We have been
sending letters to Commisioner of Customs and Excise again and again. We send CC to TBS, TRA, Ministry of Finance, JAAI, Embassy of Tanzania in Japan and Embassy of Japan in Tanzania. We have been appealing that the importers in Tanzania should not be charged unfair duties from such a misunderstanding.

Unfortunately, the Commissioner of Customs is not even replying to ourletters these days. Then we have also sent simillar letter to Parmanent Secretary of Ministry of Finance. We also got diplomatic support from Embassy of Japan in Tanzania, Japanese Ambassador has sent an official letter to Ministry of Finance. We are hearing that in August 2007, by sending letter to the Commissioner for Customs and Excise, Ministry of Finance has advised them to reconsider the definition of the age of the vehicle. But we haven't seen any changes even after that.

We have been explaing all about this to the people mentioned above and asking them to reconsider the definition of the age of the vehicle.

In January 2008, I have spoken to the people of Embassy of Japan once again and asked for some diplomatic assistance because I was feeling that the authority in this country is not interested to listen to the voice of one small vehicle supplier. This time, the First Secretary of Embassy of Japan has met Commissioner for Customs and Excise by himself and discussed on the same issue.

According to the story I heard from the Secretary, the Commissioner has understood the situation and promissed that he will work on this to solve the problem. Embassy of Japan has wrote an official letter once again to appeal that the vehicles' age should be defined based on the official documents because there's nothing else apart from that.

5) Problem for Autorec, the supplier

The issue itself is something between the importers and the Customs in Tanzania. Therefore, the authority treat us as if we are just outsiders. It seems as if they are saying that it is not something that a supplier like Autorec should interrupt. But the situation doesn't allow us to sit behind.

We explain the nature of these problems to the importers (our customers)who actually suffered this problem and advice them to insist against the Customs that they have the proper vehicle and official documents. But instead of fighting against misunderstandings of Customs authority, some of them actually turn around and start attacking Autorec, saying that Autorec has sent fake documents / cars and cheated them! Some of them even threaten us that they are going to take it a court case or attack
us through media.

This is totally not acceptable because Autorec has done nothing wrong in the procedures.

Something more unpleasant for us is the fact that some of the Customs officers, when they found the seatbelt label which has different information with the official document, tell the importers that the supplier (Autorec) has tricked them with forged documents!!! We totally don't understand why people on a responsible position can say such a irresponsible word without doing researches!!!! This is like exeucting someone for guilty without properly checking!!! This is a clearoffensive disturbance to our business. Or they are making us a scapegoat so that the importers will not complain against them.

And as you can see, this is not a problem only for Autorec, but for the used vehicle trade business as a whole.Indeed, this is actually creating a very negative image not only to our business but for the customers in Tanzania who intend to import used vehicles from Japan. While we are shipping the right vehicles in right procedure with proper documents (authorized by the Government of manufacturer's country), some importers misjudge that we are cheating them. This would be a serious damage to us if they continue doing this.

I understand the anger and disappointment of the importers who are charged of the penalty of 20% against a vehicle they bought as less 10-year-old cars. But even if they attack us, there's no solution because there was nothing wrong on our side. Therefore, we need a fundamental solution.

6) Similar problem and its solution in Kenya

In Kenya, several years ago, they had the same problem as they also have year regulation against used vehicle import. Actually, the problem was more serious in Kenya, because once the vehicle would be recognised as over 8-year-old, they are simply not allowed to import that car. Therefore, the importers in Kenya had fought against the authority by themselves. Of course, we, the suppliers, also assisted them. As a result, Kenya's Ministries, KRA(Kenya Revenue Authority) and KBS(Kenya Bereau of Standard) have worked together to solve this problem, and finally decided to judge the year of the cars based on the information on the documents. Since then, there has been no such trouble on the same issue in Kenya.

This story gives an idea that there's no solution so long as they continue checking the seatbelts and other parts.

....Thank you very much indeed for reading such a long story. But I'm sure this is a serious problem that any of you may also suffer. We have been fighting against this, but as this is an internal problem in this country, something that a foreigner can do is limited. As an outsider, we cannot intervene the country's policy. Not having good fruit after such a lot of effort, we are feeling as if we are stucked.

Therefore, now we'll appreciate if you'll give us your ideas and view to solve this problem.

Once again, thank you very much indeed for your understanding and
assistance to us.

--

Best regards,

Masao Kuwabara

Autorec Tanzania Limited

E-mail : masao@autorectz.com

Address : Room 425, 4th floor, Harbour View Towers, Samora Ave.,

P.O.Box 5023, Dar es salaam, Tanzania

Phone : +255-22-2124101

Fax : +255-22-2124103

Cell : +255-753-193583

Regards,

Toru Ogawa

AUTOREC ENTERPRISE LTD.

E-MAIL: ogawa@autorec.co.jp

TEL: (+81)5675-6-6111

FAX: (+81)5675-6-6511

ADDRESS: 2-1 Nishishijimi Yatomi Aichi 490-1427 Japan.

mfwatiliaji, ahsante sana kwa hayo. Mimi binafsi yamenikuta hayo and I ended up paying a little bit more than 1m just because of the seat belts. I am so sure tunahitaji mtaalam wa ki-Japan kuja kutoa ushauri kwa hilo, inaonyesha kuwa hatuna wataalam wa masuala ya viwanda vya magari hapo TRA.

Kama una pdf au word version ya hiyo tubandikie tuisukume bungeni kuna wabunge wengi hawana data za kuongea labda hiyo itawasaidia waonekane wa maana.

Na ninamfahamu rafiki yangu ambaye alitoa gari yake wiki mbili tu zilizopita naye yalimkuta haya. Bottom line, ukitoa chochote utalipa kodi halali. Ndio maana TRA officials, especially those assessors, become stikingly rich, just after very few years of working, in fact just a year. Nitaenda kum-convince apeleke suala lake mbele apate refund plus interest.

pale long room kuna maclearing agents wachache sana ambao wanajua kazi yao vizuri sana,hawa wakipeleka documents zao pale kwa ajili ya kuclear mizigo yao hawapati usumbufu wa kijinga kwani wao walishakwaruzana sana na hao vihiyo na kuwashinda kesi dhidi ya customs.kwa hiyo wao sasa wanapeta tu.lakini kwa wenzangu na mimi ni shida sana kulipa kodi halali pale ndio hayo mambo ya mikanda.
mimi nawapa pole tu,kwani sina msaada.

After reading between the line I've found something which I think you should be very careful when making these allegations.

And this thing is only the year of manufacture of the vehicles.

So I have only one question for you which I think you should answer it carefully.

If I buy a brand new vehicle lets say Toyota Hilux now and it was manufactured January 2008 and I decide to look at one or all the seat belts. Then I find that the seat belts are labelled as manufactured in 2008, what are you going to tell me about the year in which the vehicle was manufactured?- it is 2008.

Because for what I know although I am not clearing agent is that one of the features to look when determine the year of manufacture of the vehicle, is the seat belts.

Can you answer my argument? please!

Jamani kuna mada kama hii pale Jukwaa la Uchumi, kuhus TRA na kadhia zake zote, ingefaa sana kama ingeunganishwa na hii ili tupate mtiririko mzuri.
Ni mtazamo tu
Nawasilisha.

Watanzania tuamkeni jamani, hii ni issue inayotugusa sisi lakini tumekaa tu hadi wajapani ndio wakae chini na kuandika haya malalamiko? Inaonekana haya ni matatizo ambayo wengi yametukumba lakini cha kushangaza kila mtu ana deal na case yake individually na kimyakimya!!

Huyo kamishna hawezi kuona hii ni big issue kwa kuwa yeye akiagiza gari linaingia bure. Hao maafisa ya TRA sio kwamba hawaelewi namna ya kufanya kazi yao, wanachojaribu kufanya ni ku create mianya ya rushwa, na believe me- ukikata 'kidogodogo' utalipa kodi sahihi!Tuendelee kuwasusa hadi wabadilike, Mombasa ndio bandari yangu.If my counrty doesnt help me to grow, I wont also help it to grow!

Jamani Hii email imetuonyesha nani Mchawi (D.T.Dobbie)...Why wud a TRA official contact them?? Yani inaboa wanafikiri sisi watanzania wote tunaweza kununua magari yao mapya ya bei za ajabu..this is to you D.T.Dobie , we cant afford your damn cars (not all of us work at BOT, Richmond etc etc)..stop discouraging us from buying used vehicles...MNABOA SANA!! Mkijifanya wajanja na nyie tutawachambua...we knw more than you think about ur lito prosperous company with your govt contracts!! F***k Off!!

Pamoja na wizi, uzembe na uzumbukuku walionao watumishi wa TRA, na hawa jamaa wa autoreck nao wachunguzwe kwani nao wanaweza kuwa wezi vilevile. kampuni kubwa kama toyota, inapotengeneza gari haiwezi kulitengeneza mwaka huu halafu mtengenezaji wa mikanda alete ya mwaka juzi. Labda hayo used wanayotuletea huku wanaanza kuyakongoroa na kupachika hivyo vitu vingine! kama wanafanya hivyo wasilalamike kwa sababu hilo gari haliwezi kudaiwa limetengenezwa mwaka fulani kwa sababu lina spare ambazo zimetengenezwa katika miaka tofauti tofauti

ahsanteni sana wandugu kwa hizi useful posts;
huwa si mchangiaji sana wa threads humu ndani kwa sababu ya kukerwa na hali halisi ya tabaka la juu la watanzania(viongozi na matajiri)dhidi ya tabaka la chini la watanzania. ,duni,walipa kodi....n.k
maanake mtanzania huyu duni hana pa kuhemea nchini kwake kila kona jamaa wameziba mirija ya kujiwezesha:serikalini wamejaza mitoto yao,makampuni ni ya wototo wao,wake zao ...n.k,universities za watoto na ndugu zao...maana ndio wawezao kulipa hiyo 40% kwawale wenye sifa za akina siye 2s,3s tutaenda kukaangwa kama chapati pale mkwawa teaching college ili tuwadanganye ndugu zetu huku manzese p/r school na tupendane sec.school,yakera kiasi baadhi ya waliopo ughaibuni hawatamani kurudi kabisa hence kunyima fursa ya ku share vipya na kaka zetu pale kijiweni kwa mnyamani....
samahani kutoka kidogo nje ya mada ila nimehisi afadhali kidogo baada ya kushusha hii jazba na hasira kwa angalau kuyasema hayo machache,maana.......acha tu.
huyo kamishna na ndugu zake wote wanaohusika ktk clearance hapo bandarini wanajua kila kitu ila ni taratibu tu za nafisadi wa tz kujifanya wao ni vilaza makusudically ili kutimiza malengo yao..hebu angalia hizo procedures walizofuata hao wajapan hapo juu,zimechukua muda mrefu,hata kama huyo kamishina alikuwa hana kiwanja sasa ana nyumba ya mamilioni kadhaa na kashahamia,ndio anakuja kukubali kuwa kuangalia beltlabel tu peke yake si muafaka..haya mutamwita kilaza lakini jamaa kashatoka zamani.
mimi najua kampuni nyingi sana zimejitoa kufanya biznezz na wa tz kwa sababu ya huo usumbufu;kiwango maalum cha kodi hakijulikani maana karibia na sikukuu za mwisho ya mwaka kodi bandarini zapanda karibia 4*,hali inayojenga mazingira ya rushwa maana mtu atataka atoe haraka kutoka katika mrundikano wa mizigo ili awahi kuuza ...haya matatizo ya hapo bandarini yame/yanakosesha ajira kwa watu wengi sana..huku ughaibuni pia na huko TZ-ni suala sensitive sana,maana ni katika misingi muhimu ya uchumi....hivi jamaa hawaangalii nchi zingine wanafanyaje...kwa mfano marekani ghrama za kuingiza legal goods ni rahisi sana na procedures formal,easy to follow.....ajaabu na aibu sana TZ
kuna rafiki yangu aliposikia hilo sakata la kupanda kodi takriban 4* ,akasema hiyo serikali haiko serious kabisa na maendeleo ya nchi...nafikiri kuna vigezo fulani vya mambo ya biznezz na finance alivitumia,huenda wanaovijua wanaweza tuainishia kidogo hapa...
importing &exporting policies zinazotofautiana kidogo baina ya nchi na nchi as regarding exporting&importing goods,lakini procedures zafanana kwa sababu wote wanatakiwa ku abide na WTO regulations,hivyo ni ukiukwaji wa sheria na ni uonevu wa makusudi unaofanywa kwa wananchi kwa manufaa ya wachache.
ama kuhusu suala la baadhi ya waasia kuuza bidhaa fake,.huu ni ukiukwaji wa kisheria za WTO,kwa upande mwingine wa TZ wengi tuko susceptible na kununua hizi fake things kwa sababu hatuna ujuzi katika masuala ya international trading......wengi wanaenda china with cash in hand(thousands of US$),twaenda fanya shopping kwenye maduka ama kwenye godowns kama vile tufanyavyo kariakoo...kwa hiyo jamaa wamesha note kuwa sisi hatujui taratibu..., na wachina ni very innovatives,yawa rahisi saana kubambikiwa.kwa hiyo nashauri kufuata taratibu husika za INTERNATION TRADE zikiwemo procedures za kuweka orders,transactions,kusafirisha mzigo-safe zaidi ni manufaturers wakusafirishie,maana ikitokea damage ama loss au quality tofauti na ile uli order ni rahisi kurudisha na wanakulipa fidia ya delay caused by them n.k

Mfwatiliaji: Hii issue should have gone to court; mngewasaidia watanzania wengi sana. Hizo storage charge wangelipa hao TRA. Hii ya kukubali yaishe ndio inatuletea matatizo. Hapa kuna clear case ya TRA kuleta uhuni, yaani wao hawawezi kuamini aunthentic documents wanaamini ka-label kwenye seat ya gari hapo kuna akili kweli?

TRA wana tatizo la kutojiamini ambalo in turn linasababisha wasiwaamini watanzania. Solution siku moja apatikane mtanzania courageous awapeleke mahakamani watapata akili na watajipanga vizuri zaidi.

Kitila hebu cheki yanayowasibu walalahoi wakiamua kuikomalia TRA, hii nimeidonoa kwa michuzi, ilipostiwa na anon....

I experienced the same problem when i tried to import 3 toyota Rav 4's from Japan. Customs officials in Holili Moshi charged me 6 Milion more stating that vehicles were older than 10 years while they weren't.

I sued them in Moshi and TRA defended the case. I lost a lot more than 6 million. This is what the judge said. It is up to the importer to prove that these vehicles are not older than 10 years old. These registration documents do not prove or show the date of manufacture. They merely show the date of registration. I contacted Toyota to get proof but they were not interested.

OUTCOME
After loosing the case TRA claimed 25 Million TSHs as legal fees. I had to pay my own lawyer 3 Million from my pocket. TRA presented proof of costs incurred as a result of the case. It wa a 26 page report. They calimed a team of 5 went to Japan to investigate the matter. The judge agreed.

They seized and sold two vehicles at an auction cause I couldn't pay a total of 28 million as legal costs and 6 million as duty. My vehicles were sold under judge orders for a total of 23,580,000.

I paid the remaining amount of 1.5mil plus duty from my own pocket to recover the third vehicle.

I advise those who fill mistreated to accept defeat. I almost commited suicide. You will loose everything. Trust me.

Kwa maneno haya unataka kutuambia wabunge wote ni wajinga hohe hahe wale si ndio ?

Naomba urekebishe msemo huu ndugu yangu na uombe radhi kwa kulidhalilisha bunge letu tukufu

Kitila hebu cheki yanayowasibu walalahoi wakiamua kuikomalia TRA, hii nimeidonoa kwa michuzi, ilipostiwa na anon....

I experienced the same problem when i tried to import 3 toyota Rav 4's from Japan. Customs officials in Holili Moshi charged me 6 Milion more stating that vehicles were older than 10 years while they weren't.

I sued them in Moshi and TRA defended the case. I lost a lot more than 6 million. This is what the judge said. It is up to the importer to prove that these vehicles are not older than 10 years old. These registration documents do not prove or show the date of manufacture. They merely show the date of registration. I contacted Toyota to get proof but they were not interested.

OUTCOME
After loosing the case TRA claimed 25 Million TSHs as legal fees. I had to pay my own lawyer 3 Million from my pocket. TRA presented proof of costs incurred as a result of the case. It wa a 26 page report. They calimed a team of 5 went to Japan to investigate the matter. The judge agreed.

They seized and sold two vehicles at an auction cause I couldn't pay a total of 28 million as legal costs and 6 million as duty. My vehicles were sold under judge orders for a total of 23,580,000.

I paid the remaining amount of 1.5mil plus duty from my own pocket to recover the third vehicle.

I advise those who fill mistreated to accept defeat. I almost commited suicide. You will loose everything. Trust me.

1. Sasa mbona wabunge wanaingiza magari bure na hawalipii kodi? Kama wabunge magari yao pia wangelipia hivi na ikapigiwa kelele bungeni basi.. TRA wangekoma na kuwasikiliza watu wa chini!

2. Majaji wa Tz sii mnajua tena..sii watu makini kuwa fair kwa vitu kama hivi.. hadi wapewe chakula! Huyu jamaa hakutoa posho kwa jaji ndo maana kibao kikageuka! Ndo justice ya Tz!

Du ndo maana watu wanaikimbia nchi.. ukiangalia na wizi na EPA, Richmond, na justice kama hizi .. basi tu!

Mkuu nashkuru sana kwa mchango wako wa kimawazo unajua watu hawajui ukubwa wa hili tatizo nadhani the way ulivyo shauri kama inawezekana kuandika makala kwa gazeti ni wazo zuri sana. Nadhani waandishi kwama akina wanakijiji na wataalamu wa uchumi akina Mkandara wanaweza kusaidia kwa hili. Ni kweli nimegundua watu wengi wanapitishia mizigo yao Mombasa na mimi nashangaa tunabandari tatu Tanga, Dar na Mtwara zote hizi hazijawaweza kufanya kazi kwa kiasi kinachotakiwa kwa sabubu ya kitaasis au miundo mbinu duni.

Ni bora uchangie uchumi wa Kenya lakini uepukane na Kero za Tanzania.

Swala la Mahakamani ni rahisi kusema lakini unapokuja kuangalia unakuta gharama yake ni kubwa sana kuna gharama ya pesa na muda na isitoshe wengi wetu tupo nnje ya nnchi hata huo muda wa kwenda mahakamani hatuna sasa tufanyeje? ni kutafuta njia nyingine nnje ya mahakama.

Swala la watu kufoji invoice kama ulivyosema ni rahisi kulishughulikia na naamini watu wengi wanakwepa kodi kwa sababu ya mzigo mkubwa wa kodi na mfumo mbaya wa kodi ya Tanzania.
zama zimebadilika

Back
Top Bottom