English learning thread

yeah!!
a cum up en read wat yuh jus rote dawn en I naw enstand wat yuh cum about is to enstand de language to me cyan she dat
its so easy to enstand the language wat to do is to watch or listern all tv shows or radios shows that involve two ppl spekin and yuh must have yuah exercise book write thos words as yuu jus heard and then find your spear time tryn imitate it for yuasehf alone without being wit no baldy aside.
believe my words yul be good in English !!!
keep it up that what mi misehf done
Please may you consider writing words in full instead of the way you have done?There are people who are learning,my worry they might learn even your way of writing,something that is wrong.Also bear in mind people of different age and education use this forum,be considerate.

Hello

I'm writing this to appreciate you all and say thank you very much for your genuine support , You been good teacher to me (and always you will be) ,Always helping me to improve my English command (spoken and written).You had never get tired to teach and correct wherever I asked for assistance.

When I started this thread , I was very sure It will be helpful ,I thank God this is what happening.People have been commenting ,teaching,asking, giving various approach and techniques toward the intended request.

Considering your advice, I started reading various English books (motivational, inspirational,parenting,relationship books and novels etc ) .I joined book club ,read Newspapers,different articles, watching news from different TV station (this has done much on improving my listening skills). Am also using various English application in my mobile phone.

I am writing this to say thank you all for your support ,I real appreciate. I'm also asking you never get tired to assist us,As you know learning is a continuous process (am in early stage there is long way to go) ,I believe one day I will assisting others and be your good ambassador.

To you my fellow who we are on same boat,please never get tired just be positive and open minded,keep on improving the situation day to day,accept and follow the advice given, don’t feel shy to ask question whenever you face any challenge,I assure you, you will get beyond your expectations.

Thanks again

Be blessed all

Where is Mama wawili,missing her so much also I am curious to know her improvement.Anyway, I believe her thread helped a lot of people to be much more confident and fluent in English speaking.

Still I encourage teachers to go on giving support and contribution in this thread.

Salute to all
Hello Kyambuko,
Thanks for asking,serious the thread is more than a thread itself, thanks to all who are always there to help us

I need get clarification in about this sentences that complicates my learning ability.

1. I have understood
2. I had understood
3. I had understand

I have think that sentences above may be incorrect but I don't wrongs of them. I need your help to improve my language capability.

Cc@aqua, Tokyo40, Kiranga, Matuidi.

I need get clarification in about this sentences that complicates my learning ability.

1. I have understood
2. I had understood
3. I had understand

I have think that sentences above may be incorrect but I don't wrongs of them. I need your help to improve my language capability.

Cc@aqua, Tokyo40, Kiranga, Matuidi.

The Third sentence is wrong . It should have been:

3. I had understood.

It's Past Perfect Tense.

Present Tense

I understand
you understand
he understands
we understand
you understand
they understand

Present Perfect (have/has + verb3)

I have understood
you have understood
he has understood
we have understood
you have understood
they have understood

Past Tense

I understood
you understood
he understood
we understood
you understood
they understood

Past Perfect (had + verb 3)

I had understood
you had understood
he had understood
we had understood
you had understood
they had understood

The Third sentence is wrong . It should have been:

3. I had understood.

It's Past Perfect Tense.

Present Tense

I understand
you understand
he understands
we understand
you understand
they understand

Present Perfect (have/has + verb3)

I have understood
you have understood
he has understood
we have understood
you have understood
they have understood

Past Tense

I understood
you understood
he understood
we understood
you understood
they understood

Past Perfect (had + verb 3)

I had understood
you had understood
he had understood
we had understood
you had understood
they had understood
Thank you for your correction but I have been complicating with a sentences that has double past while I taught in school that the past verb should not followed by another past verb. For exampe I had understood (had and understood is past).

Thank you for your correction but I have been complicating with a sentences that has double past while I taught in school that the past verb should not followed by another past verb. For exampe I had understood (had and understood is past).

What you are doing with the verb HAVE is to make it into past tense ( HAD) and "conjugate" it with "understand" in order to express the past period of that action.

Conjugation of 'Understand'

Base Form: Understand
Past Simple: Understood
Past Participle: Understood
3rd Person Singular: Understands

I understand. (Naelewa)
I understood. (Nimeelewa)
He understands. (Anaelewa)
He understood. (Ameelewa)
I had understood. (Nimeshaelewa)

Please try to study the 12 verb tenses in order to understand your grammar formation better.

Once you have mastered the tenses, you will automatically know how to conjugate the verbs through the tense formulas.

Here is the example of Past Perfect , one of the tenses.

Form:

[had + past participle]

Examples:

You had studied English before you moved to New York.

1. Here the past participle of study is studied.

2. Then you just put into the formula and it becomes "had studied".

Had you studied English before you moved to New York?

USE 1 Completed Action Before Something in the Past

The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past.

It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

Examples:

I had never seen such a beautiful beach before I went to Kauai.

I did not have any money because I had lost my wallet.

We were not able to get a hotel room because we had not booked in advance.

A: Had you ever visited the U.S. before your trip in 2006?
B: Yes, I had been to the U.S. once before.

USE 2 Duration Before Something in the Past (Non-Continuous Verbs)

With Non-Continuous Verbs and some non-continuous uses of Mixed Verbs, we use the Past Perfect to show that something started in the past and continued up until another action in the past.

Examples:

We had had that car for ten years before it broke down.

By the time Alex finished his studies, he had been in London for over eight years.

What you are doing with the verb HAVE is to make it into past tense ( HAD) and "conjugate" it with "understand" in order to express the past period of that action.

Conjugation of 'Understand'

Base Form: Understand
Past Simple: Understood
Past Participle: Understood
3rd Person Singular: Understands

I understand. (Naelewa)
I understood. (Nimeelewa)
He understands. (Anaelewa)
He understood. (Ameelewa)
I had understood. (Nimeshaelewa)

Please try to study the 12 tenses in order to understand your grammar formation better.

Once you have mastered the tenses, you will automatically know how to conjugate the verbs through the tense formulas.

Here is the example of Past Perfect , one of the tenses.

Form:

[had + past participle]

Examples:

You had studied English before you moved to New York.

1. Here the past participle of study is studied.

2. Then you just put into the formula and it becomes "had studied".

Had you studied English before you moved to New York?

USE 1 Completed Action Before Something in the Past

The Past Perfect expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past.

It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past.

Examples:

I had never seen such a beautiful beach before I went to Kauai.

I did not have any money because I had lost my wallet.

We were not able to get a hotel room because we had not booked in advance.

A: Had you ever visited the U.S. before your trip in 2006?
B: Yes, I had been to the U.S. once before.

USE 2 Duration Before Something in the Past (Non-Continuous Verbs)

With Non-Continuous Verbs and some non-continuous uses of Mixed Verbs, we use the Past Perfect to show that something started in the past and continued up until another action in the past.

Examples:

We had had that car for ten years before it broke down.

By the time Alex finished his studies, he had been in London for over eight years.
I am reading this words from you in order to understand what have you said. Thanks.

Mkuu Open School,

I have thoroughly explained the 12 Verb Tenses in my previous posts here for your convenience.

Let me know if you have any further questions after going through them.

Mkuu Open School,

I have thoroughly explained the 12 Verb Tensed in my previous posts here for your convenience.

Let me know if you have any further questions after going through them.
Mkuu Tokyo40 you have been a crucial helper to me. I have remember those you have taught me previous days and still I see the different although not perfectly yet. I will set a time for previewing your past comments to learn again.

About question, now I have nothing more than what I asked above. Thank you sir, and I am standing to be corrected if there any broken mistakes.

Mkuu Tokyo40 you have been a crucial helper to me. I have remember those you have taught me previous days and still I see the different although not perfectly yet. I will set a time for previewing your past comments to learn again.

About question, now I have nothing more than what I asked above. Thank you sir, and I am standing to be corrected if there any broken mistakes.

Mkuu Open School,

I wish you all the best in your studies.

They say, when there is a will, there is a way.

Godspeed.

I insipired with this thread i wish i was mama wawili pleas jaman i need help yaan natamani sana kujua hii lugha but nashindwa na mdomo wangu ni mzito.

I insipired with this thread i wish i was mama wawili pleas jaman i need help yaan natamani sana kujua hii lugha but nashindwa na mdomo wangu ni mzito.

Fungua kuanzia bandiko la kwanza.

Start the journey of learning.

Kama una swala, uliza. Kila mmoja hapa ni mwanafunzi kama wewe.

Good luck.

Usiogope kujifunza na uongee mara kwa mara hata ukikosea sio mbaya. Sio kila kitu huja kirahisi...... Best wishes

Napenda kujua kuongea kingereza kilichonyooka naomba ushirikiano wenu wadau, Yani nikimwona mtu anaongea vinzuri huwa natamani sana ingekuwa ndo mim,

Back
Top Bottom