Tanzania billionaire Mohammed Dewji told kidnapper to shoot him

Tanzanian billionaire Mohammed Dewji has said that he asked his kidnapper to shoot him six days into being held captive.

His abduction, 12 months ago, outside a hotel gym in the country's main city, Dar es Salaam, sparked a huge manhunt.

Speaking to the media for the first time about his ordeal, Mr Dewji told the BBC that he was blindfolded and disorientated when he made the plea.

He was released after 10 days and says no ransom was paid.

"I was blindfolded and there were times they kept on threatening me with guns to my head and five days, six days into it I was thinking I was losing my eye sight," Mr Dewji told the BBC Focus on Africa's Audrey Brown.

"[The kidnapper] was like 'I'm going to shoot you' and I was like 'you can shoot me and kill me', because I was losing it. You get disoriented, you're tired, because it's a form of torture."

He said he could hear people looking for him.

"I kept hearing these chopper noises and thinking that maybe this chopper's looking for me."

Ten days after his abduction in October 2018, his company, MeTL, tweeted a quote from Mr Dewji saying that he had "returned home safely".

He has since thanked people for praying for his safety.

'No ransom paid'

Mr Dewji told the BBC that his kidnappers had abandoned him in a field, 15 minutes drive away from where he had been abducted at the Coliseum Hotel.

The authorities have not established a clear motive for the abduction and Mr Dewji is also in the dark about it.

"I still don't know why it happened," he said. "Obviously the intention looked like it was money that they wanted. In the end they left me without the money."

He believes the kidnappers gave up due to pressure built up from media and political attention.

A Tanzanian taxi driver, Mousa Twaleb, has been arrested and is awaiting trial. But he is the only suspect that is being held.

'Need to give back'

Mr Dewji believes there were around three or four foreigners from Mozambique and South Africa involved, who he believes have fled the country.

The billionaire says he has made some changes in his life; replacing the lights in his house with brighter bulbs and has stopped jogging alone on the beach.

He said being kidnapped has made him reflect that "you need to give back".

Mr Dewji is credited with turning his family business from a wholesale and retail enterprise into a pan-African conglomerate. MeTL has interests in textile manufacturing, flour milling, beverages and edible oils in at least six African countries.

Forbes magazine estimated his net worth at around $1.5bn (£980m), which would make him Africa's youngest billionaire.

He intends to invest almost $400m in agriculture in Tanzania in the next 24 months, not for profit but to make an "impact", he said.

Copyright 2019 BBC.
Wewe mleta mada si unajua kabisa watekaji ni wale kutwa kucha mnawasifu na kuwaabudu.

October 30, 2019

Mo Dewji afunguka kuhusu siku 9 akiwa mikononi mwa mateka
Bilionea kijana Afrika na mmiliki wa mojawapo ya klabu maarufu ya soka Afrika mashariki Simba SC - Mohammed Dewji amezungumza kwa mara ya kwanza kuhusu sakata lake la kutekwa nyara mwaka jana na namna alivyotishiwa maisha yake nchini Tanzania.

Katika mahojiano maalum na ya kipekee na BBC Swahili, Mo ameeleza kuwa kwa kipindi kizima, alihisi kwamba kuna uwezekano mkubwa hatoweza kutoka salama na kuwa mwisho wake wa maisha unakaribia.

"Saa 24 za kwanza baada ya kutekwa zilikuwa kama mwezi. Imani ndio kitu kikubwa kilichonisaidia katika kipindi kizima."

Katika kuikumbuka siku hiyo, Mo ameeleza: "Walinifunga macho, miguu na mikono kwa siku tisa. Tulikuwa hatuongei sana, walikuwa sio watu wa hapa.

"Walikuwa wakinitisha na kuniweka bastola kwenye kichwa na kuniambia wataniua." Alielezea mfanyabiashara huyo.

Kufunga mlango (wa gari) tu, kugeuka nimekuta watu wanne ambao wamevaa mask nyeupe - wamefunika uso, wakapiga bunduki juu mara mbili halafu wameniwekea bunduki."

Anasema awali alidhani ni jaribio la kutaka kuibiwa gari, na hakuwa na budi kufuata maagizo alipoambiwa alale chini kwenye sakafu.

"Kwenye sekunde sitini hivi, hao watu wamekuja wamenibeba na kuniweka ndani ya gari."

Anasema kilichofuata katika safari hiyo anayosema iliyokuwa ngumu, watekaji wake walimvua nguo kwa kuhofia huenda ana kifaa cha kutambua anakokwenda yaani tracker na kumfunga mikono na miguu na kwenye dakika 20 wakamfikisha katika nyumba.

"Niligundua kuwa lugha wanayotumia sio lugha ya Tanzania, ilikuwa ni geni."

"Asubuhi walikuwa wananifungua mikono wananifunga mbele, lakini usiku ndio kulikuwa na mitihani walikuwa wananifunga nyuma. Na wakikufunga nyuma maanake huwezi kulala, lazima ulale kulia au kushoto."

Mo anasema alikuwa akitoa ushirikiano kwa kila alichotakiwa kufanya. Kikubwa anasema alikuwa akimuomba Mungu atoke salama.

Siku ya tisa anasema "walinisukuma pale Gymkhana na nikasikia gari limeondoka."

Kwa muda wote alipewa tu kipande cha khanga aliyotumia kujifinika mpaka siku walipomuachilia ndiyo aliyotumia pia kujifunika.

p06pddsx.jpg

Source : BBC SWAHILI kipindi Dira ya Dunia

October 30, 2019

Mohammed Dewji is Africa's youngest billionaire and one of Tanzania's leading businessmen.
Last year, he was thrust into the limelight after he was kidnapped in Dar es Salaam as he left a city gym. He was held captive for almost two weeks and released after a massive public outcry and media coverage. His family offered a ransom but Mohammed told us that they didn't have to pay it. He stopped by the Focus on Africa studios to talk about his experiences at the hands of his abductors.
Source: BBC Focus on Africa

Sema nini!, me sijaelewa pale aliposema aliambiwa akae kimya;watamuua (walitumia lugha ipi walivyokuwa wakimwambia hivyo). Then baadae anasema lugha walizokuwa wanaongea hazikuwa za kitanzania.
Katika kuwasiliana wao kwa kwao walitumia lugha yao asili,lakini kipindi wakimuaddress jambo basi wanatumia lugha ambayo yeye kama hadhira ataelewa fanani anahitaji nini (kwa uelewa wangu mdogo)

Ameongea kifupi mno. Mbona hasemi walichokua wanataka kwake? Kwanini wakambwage gymkhana sehemu yenye ulinzi wa doria. Kwanini wasingemtupa hata kimanzichana? Asituletee usanii

Ngoja kwanza, sababu ya kumtishia kumuua siku ya sita baada ya kumteka ninini? aligoma kuwapa hela!?. Kama ni hivyo basi Mo mbishi, mwingine hata siku isingeisha angetoa mkwanja.

He was just reading a script. I believe he was one of the victim of "PLEA BARGAIN" outside the court room
Yours is a memorable statement.

I believe, one day people will spend time and discuss/analyse it seriously.

Possibilities of a movie based on that episode cannot be discounted for the serious minded entrepreneurs!

Could Mo agree to play the role as star in the movie?

Hatari sana, mbona Mo anaficha ficha.. Aseme walikuwa wakitumia Lugha gani?, ni weupe au weusi, walitaka nini kwake? aliwapa au hakuwapa?? Kama hakujibu hayo maswali hakukuwa na haja ya kumhoji..

Naona amewasilisha kama ilivoripotiwa na kamanda Mambo sasa. ...
Safi lakini...
Nimefurahi tanzania tuna bilionea 1 kati yq 2000 waliopo duniani. ..
We proud of you MO. .
Siku nyingine ukiongea na "mabeberu" 'watch it'...
Alifungwa kitambaa cha macho muda wote alijuaje kama hao watu walitokea Mosambique na South Africa..??! Au kaambiwa aseme hivyo!!?

Tanzanian billionaire Mohammed Dewji has said that he asked his kidnapper to shoot him six days into being held captive.

His abduction, 12 months ago, outside a hotel gym in the country's main city, Dar es Salaam, sparked a huge manhunt.

Speaking to the media for the first time about his ordeal, Mr Dewji told the BBC that he was blindfolded and disorientated when he made the plea.

He was released after 10 days and says no ransom was paid.

"I was blindfolded and there were times they kept on threatening me with guns to my head and five days, six days into it I was thinking I was losing my eye sight," Mr Dewji told the BBC Focus on Africa's Audrey Brown.

"[The kidnapper] was like 'I'm going to shoot you' and I was like 'you can shoot me and kill me', because I was losing it. You get disoriented, you're tired, because it's a form of torture."

He said he could hear people looking for him.

"I kept hearing these chopper noises and thinking that maybe this chopper's looking for me."

Ten days after his abduction in October 2018, his company, MeTL, tweeted a quote from Mr Dewji saying that he had "returned home safely".

He has since thanked people for praying for his safety.

'No ransom paid'

Mr Dewji told the BBC that his kidnappers had abandoned him in a field, 15 minutes drive away from where he had been abducted at the Coliseum Hotel.

The authorities have not established a clear motive for the abduction and Mr Dewji is also in the dark about it.

"I still don't know why it happened," he said. "Obviously the intention looked like it was money that they wanted. In the end they left me without the money."

He believes the kidnappers gave up due to pressure built up from media and political attention.

A Tanzanian taxi driver, Mousa Twaleb, has been arrested and is awaiting trial. But he is the only suspect that is being held.

'Need to give back'

Mr Dewji believes there were around three or four foreigners from Mozambique and South Africa involved, who he believes have fled the country.

The billionaire says he has made some changes in his life; replacing the lights in his house with brighter bulbs and has stopped jogging alone on the beach.

He said being kidnapped has made him reflect that "you need to give back".

Mr Dewji is credited with turning his family business from a wholesale and retail enterprise into a pan-African conglomerate. MeTL has interests in textile manufacturing, flour milling, beverages and edible oils in at least six African countries.

Forbes magazine estimated his net worth at around $1.5bn (£980m), which would make him Africa's youngest billionaire.

He intends to invest almost $400m in agriculture in Tanzania in the next 24 months, not for profit but to make an "impact", he said.

Copyright 2019 BBC.
"There is a need to give back"......

Naona amewasilisha kama ilivoripotiwa na kamanda Mambo sasa. ...
Safi lakini...
Nimefurahi tanzania tuna bilionea 1 kati yq 2000 waliopo duniani. ..
We proud of you MO. .
Siku nyingine ukiongea na "mabeberu" 'watch it'...
Kakinda is on record akisema wabajua alipo.
Na kujichanganya kwa kamanda Mambosasa kuliweka a very big doubt.

Back
Top Bottom