Swiss Banker Spills Secrets to WikiLeaks

Zak Malang

JF-Expert Member
Dec 30, 2008
Wana-JF: Hii habari bila shaka itawafanya baadhi ya Watanzania kupata tumbo la kuendesha. Tungoje wiki mbili na tuone majina gani ya viongozi wa dunia wamo katika CD hizo mbili.

AP_Britain_Switzerland_Wikileaks_17Jan2011_480.jpg

PHOTO: AP

Former Swiss banker Rudolf Elmer hands two CD cases full of files to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, left, following a news conference at the Frontline Club in London, 17 Jan 2011

Wikileaks given data on Swiss bank accounts

A former Swiss banker has passed on data containing account details of 2,000 prominent people to Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

The data - which is not yet available on the Wikileaks website - was held on two discs handed over by Rudolf Elmer at a press conference in London.

Mr Assange promised full disclosure once the information had been vetted.

Mr Elmer is scheduled to go on trial in Switzerland on Wednesday for breaking bank secrecy laws.

The banker, who has given data to Wikileaks before, was fired from Swiss bank Julius Baer in 2002.

Although it was not confirmed what activities might be covered by the data, the Wikileaks head noted that previous data from Julius Baer provided by Mr Elmer had shed light on tax evasion, the hiding of proceeds of criminal acts and "the protection of assets of those about to fall out of political favour".

The data covers multinationals, financial firms and wealthy individuals from many countries, including the UK, US and Germany, and covers the period 1990-2009, according to a report in Swiss newspaper Der Sonntag.

"Once we have looked at the data... there will be full revelation," said Mr Assange, who is currently on bail and confined to the UK due to an extradition request from Sweden.

The Wikileaks founder has been accused of sexual misconduct by two women in Sweden, including having unprotected sex without consent - charges he denies.

Speaking at the handover event at the Frontline Club, he said the data would be vetted before publication.

I've been there. I've done the job. I know what is the day-to-day business."

It was difficult to say how long this would take, he said, although he suggested it could be as little as two weeks.

The vetting would depend on the volume of information and how it was delegated, Mr Assange said.

Other groups - such as the Tax Justice Network or financial media outlets - might be asked to help in the vetting process, he added.

Mr Assange also said some information was likely to be handed over to the authorities - mentioning specifically the UK's Serious Fraud Office - as was the case with a previous leak concerning Icelandic banks.
'Fire-breathing dragon'

"I'm against the system. I know how the system works," said Mr Elmer at the press conference. He said a sophisticated network existed to funnel illicit money into secret offshore accounts.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange at the press conference called by Rudolf Elmer at the Frontline Club in London Mr Assange was making a rare public appearance during what he has called his "house arrest"

"I've been there. I've done the job. I know what is the day-to-day business," he said, explaining why he thought it important to identify himself as the source.

The banker, who worked as Julius Baer's chief operating officer in the Cayman Islands, said he and his family faced pressure akin to "a fire-breathing dragon with several heads" after he decided to blow the whistle.

He said he was put in prison in Switzerland for 30 days for violating Swiss banking rules, and that he was offered money and the withdrawal of charges against him in order to buy his silence.

The data included the offshore accounts of about 40 politicians, he said, and covered accounts at three banks, including his former employer.

The banker also said that he and his wife had written a letter to German Finance Minister Peer Steinbruck, offering to provide the data for free, but received no response.

Mr Elmer - who runs his own whistle-blowing website - said the data he was providing had been passed to him by various sources that he would keep anonymous.

"I am taking the responsibility for this," he said.

He is already facing trial in Switzerland for a previous data leak, and has admitted breaking some laws.

However, Mr Elmer claimed he did not breach Swiss banking secrecy rules, as he said all of the information related to the Cayman Islands and therefore lay outside Swiss jurisdiction.

Chanzo: BBC

Naskia jamaa (Julian) hahongeki.

Lakini anaweza kuulika, au kufungika jela. Mafisadi ni wauwaji wakubwa. Hivi ile triumvirate yetu -- JK-RA-EL wanaweza wakakosa humo?

Na wakiwemo utasikia magazeti yao yataandika: "Wikileaks yatumiwa kumchafua JK" au na nonsense nyingine kama hiyo.

Lakini anaweza kuulika, au kufungika jela. Mafisadi ni wauwaji wakubwa. Hivi ile triumvirate yetu -- JK-RA-EL wanaweza wakakosa humo?

Na wakiwemo utasikia magazeti yao yataandika: "Wikileaks yatumiwa kumchafua JK" au na nonsense nyingine kama hiyo.

Ulaya watu wanazijua haki zao.

usitarajie jamaa kuuawa au kufungwa kirejareja

Aisee! - Sijui itakuwaje iwapo hao wanatajwa live! Lakini Miafrika jinsi ilivyo itauchuna tu kujifanya kama vile jambo dogo! Tusubiri jamani nadhani mwisho wa CCM unazidi kukaribia.

Jamani, wiki mbili zinaisha lini? Nina hamu ya kujua majina yaliyomo -- hasa ya Bongo. Nina hakika 100% wamo watu wetu humo, wanautulaghai majukwaani mchana, na usiku wanatuchoma mkuki! Shame on them!!!!!

Hivi mkwere sasa hivi hamwagiwi maji baridi? Nasikia amecollapse kwa hofu ya mambo kumwagwa hadharani.

Hivi na huyu mjamaa anayejitambulisha kama mkurugenzi mkuu wa PCCB atakosa humo? Let's cross our fingers.

WIKILEAKS BALAA,,,,, hii itawafundisha kazi mafisadi, unaumbuliwa mchana kweupe mtu mzima unatembea uchu, duh, kweli hii ni 21st century the era of information technology

WIKILEAKS BALAA,,,,, hii itawafundisha kazi mafisadi, unaumbuliwa mchana kweupe mtu mzima unatembea uchu, duh, kweli hii ni 21st century the era of information technology

Na wengi tutawaona uchi! Watu wazima - duh!

Mungu akisaidia na ndugu zetu wa hapa nyumbani wakiwemo huu ndio utakuwa wakati wa kubadilisha majumba ya watu kuwa museums

Tutegemee mengi. kwani twaweza ambiwa habari za Balali Daudi in and out to date.

I repeat again...WEAK LEAKS is CIA at works to re-shape the world....so dont expect anythings to happen to Assange.
Lets wait hope in this saga he will start with African crock leaders

Jamani mnakua na vain hopes! Kwani hatuwajui,kutajwa kwao na hao wazungu kutachangia vipi kuwawajibisha wakati waliotajwa na scotland yard kuhusu ishu ya rada wanapeta tu! Sema hio wikileak info italeta hot discussions hapa JF halaf basi.

I repeat again...WEAK LEAKS is CIA at works to re-shape the world....so dont expect anythings to happen to Assange.
Lets wait hope in this saga he will start with African crock leaders

i agree. Only hillary clinton anaumia.

Back
Top Bottom