As a software engineer, what can you tell them, if you can't solve a problem?

mathsjery

JF-Expert Member
Sep 26, 2015
You just say that you can’t solve the problem. If somebody asks me to find an element in an unordered list with less than O(n)O(n) complexity, I’ll just tell them “sorry, this problem cannot be solved - maybe we can change the problem so that the list is kept ordered?”

Or sometimes the problem isn’t proven impossible - for example somebody could tell me to make a program that allows the computer to write code based on a natural language description.

But the problem is practically impossible - so I’ll tell them that this will require a huge interdiscplinary research team for potentially hundreds of years, and they should make sure they have x billion dollars to burn. And again, suggest changing the problem.

TL;DR: Change the problem

😊😊😎

Haya matatizo ya kwenye "Requirements gathering", muhimu sana kumuelewesha mteja kwa kutumia "MoSCoW Prioritization".......Google it up.
Wateja hucharuka chochote kinachowajia akilini, ni wewe tu ujue namna ya kuogelea naye.....

You just say that you can’t solve the problem. If somebody asks me to find an element in an unordered list with less than O(n)O(n) complexity, I’ll just tell them “sorry, this problem cannot be solved - maybe we can change the problem so that the list is kept ordered?”

Or sometimes the problem isn’t proven impossible - for example somebody could tell me to make a program that allows the computer to write code based on a natural language description.

But the problem is practically impossible - so I’ll tell them that this will require a huge interdiscplinary research team for potentially hundreds of years, and they should make sure they have x billion dollars to burn. And again, suggest changing the problem.

😊😊😎
Why do people want to go to the mars while they know that there is no enough air?
I think there is no difficult problem than going to the mars.
For that case, under the earth everything is possible and can be done in short time and cheapest way. What is difficult for you is not diffucult for everybody else.
If the problem oversize your ability, refering it to other people.

😊😊😎
Why do people want to go to the mars while they know that there is no enough air?
For that case, under the earth everything is possible and can be done in short time and cheapest way. What is difficult for you is not diffucult for everybody else.

I advised that either they should change the problem or have enough investment in the problem and then they would find those who could do it.

Back
Top Bottom