Zambia Elections: Opposition (SATA) wins Presidential race!!!

Kuna makosa yalifanywa na wazambia,nafikiri kwao Kaunda alikuwa better kuliko MMD,tatizo lililotokea ni kwamba MMD walibadilika ghafla na kuwa wabaya kuliko wazambia walivyotarajia,unakumbuka nilileta post hapa last week inasema "nataka kuijua chadema kwa undani"ile post ilitokana na siasa za zambia,nilitaka niwajue vizuri Chadema ili tusije fanya makosa kama wazambia,na kama chadema inaweza kuja kuwa kama MMD ni bora tubakie na ccm mpaka tupate watu wa uhakika
Mitazamo kama hii ndo inayotufanya tuwe nyuma sana. Tunatakiwa tuiondoe CCM bila kujali CHADEMA itakuwaje maana hatuwezi kuipima Chadema kabla haijaingia madarakani, ikiingia madarakani kama ambavyo TANU na ASP ziliingia wananchi hawakusema bora tubaki na Governor wa kiingereza mpaka tutakapoona TANU inafaa wala hawakuona bora Sultan aendelee mpaka ASP itakapokuwa imeonyesha uwezo wake. Tukichukua Zambia kama mwalimu wetu wazambia hawakusubiri waione kwanza MMD uzuri wake, waliitoa UNIP na sasa wameitoa MMD ndo siasa zinavyoenda. Sasa hii kusema bora CCM iendelee mpaka tuone kama Chadema itakuwa nzuri ni mawazo yatokanayo na baadhi ya watu kuiona CCM kama itikadi ya kiimani. WTZ tuitoe CCM tuweze kuanza kupiga hatua za maendeleo ya kiuchumi, kidemokrasia, kisiasa na kijamii.

[h=1]Former British Rail porter sworn in as Zambian president[/h] [h=2]A former British Rail porter swapped Victoria Station's plastic identity badge for presidential trappings as Zambia swore a new democratically elected leader amid jubilant scenes in the capital Lusaka.[/h]
Michael-Sata_2007618c.jpg
Zambia's new President Michael Sata, right, takes the oath of office on the steps of the supreme court in Lusaka Photo: AP/Jerome Delay

Michael Sata, 74, a fiery populist nicknamed King Cobra for his sharp tongue, has promised to reign in China's increasing dominance in his copper-rich country and ensure the poor get a greater share of the wealth its mines have generated.

This week's election in Zambia was the fourth he had contested and sees the former British protectorate take its place among a select few in Africa who have seen their ruling parties change twice, democratically and peacefully, since independence.

Election monitors confirmed that, despite sporadic rioting which saw two people killed and fears of a repeat of the election upsets of Ivory Coast or Zimbabwe, the vote had been free and fair, with Mr Sata polling 43 per cent to outgoing president Rupiah Banda's 36.

Mr Banda was in tears as he conceded his defeat and urged his successor to safeguard Zambia's hard-won democratic freedoms.

"My generation - the generation of the independence struggle - must now give way to new ideas; ideas for the 21st century," Mr Banda said. "Did we become grey and lacking in ideas? Did we lose momentum? Our duty now is to go away and reflect on any mistakes we may have made and learn from them. If we do not, we do not deserve to contest power again."

Tens of thousands of Zambians lined the streets and scaled walls and trees to catch a glimpse of Mr Sata as he travelled to the Supreme Court.
On its steps, flanked by Mr Banda and post-independence president Kenneth Kaunda, he recited his oath of allegiance.
"I will discharge my duties as president diligently, and I take my responsibility without fear or favour," he said in a ceremony broadcast live on national television but mostly drowned out by cheering outside.
As his presidency was confirmed and balloons and a dove were released into the air , the crowd chanted "Let's go Sata, let's go!"
The Roman Catholic father to eight children won popularity particularly among the urban poor and workers in the Copper Belt for a promise that within 90 days of taking office, he would "restore Zambian dignity and change and transform the country".

Mr Sata has previously been a staunch critic of the "slave labour" conditions Chinese-owned mines impose on local staff, and the flood of small Chinese businessmen into the country, but toned down his stance in the latest election.
He has however, stuck to a pledge to reinstate a mining windfall tax and tighten currency controls in a bid to help the two thirds of Zambians living on less than $2 a day.
After the poll results were announced late on Thursday night, the value of the local Kwacha currency plummeted in a sign of foreign investor nerves.
But speaking following his inauguration yesterday, Mr Sata sought to reassure them. "We welcome investors. Zambia can never achieve development without you all," he said, adding: "I promise to put Zambia first."
Referring to accusations that his predecessor was weak on tackling graft, he said there was a clear link between poverty and corruption, which had been "a scourge in this country".
"Corruption is morally unacceptable and must be fought with the vigour that it deserves," he said as the crowd roared its approval.
Commentators have questioned how Mr Sata will adapt his "feisty and opinionated" campaigning style to become an international statesman.
Alex Vines, Chatham House's Africa expert, said he will have rely on advice from abroad to bring in a modern approach to government. He said Mr Sata had already made overtures to the UK, with a visit to London and an address to Chatham House and Oxford University in June, and would seek to revitalise the dwindling relationship. "He would like to see the UK more prominent in Zambia," he said.
Foreign Secretary William Hague welcomed his emergence as leader for the former protectorate. He said: "I look forward to working with President Sata and his new Government in the years to come, and further deepening the excellent relations between the UK and Zambia."

[/B]Source LusakaTimes.com

I have called this press conference to say a few words. The election campaign of
2011 is over. The people of Zambia have spoken and we must all listen. Some will
be happy with what they have heard, others will not.

The time now is for maturity, for composure and for compassion. To the victors, I
say this: you have the right to celebrate but do so with a magnanimous heart.
Enjoy the hour but remember that a term of government is for years. Remember
that the next election will judge you also.

Treat those who you have vanquished with the respect and humility that you
would expect in your own hour of defeat.

I know that all Zambians will expect such behaviour and I hope it will be delivered.
Speaking for myself and my party, we will accept the results. We are a democratic
party and we know no other way.

It is not for us to deny the Zambian people. We never rigged, we never cheated,
we never knowingly abused state funds. We simply did what we thought was best
for Zambia. I hope the next government will act likewise in years to come.

Zambia deserves a decent democratic process. Indeed, Zambia must build on her
past victories. Our independence was hard won, our democracy secured with
blood. Zambia must not go backwards, we must all face the future and go forward
as one nation. Not to do so would dishonour our history.

To my party, to the MMD candidates who did not win, the lesson is simple. Next
time we must try harder. We fought a good campaign. It was disciplined. I still
believe we had a good message and we reached every part of the country. We
travelled to all nine provinces and we spoke to all Zambians. To those who worked
every hour of the day, I say ‘thank you’. You have done your best. But, sadly,
sometimes our best is not good enough.

Do not be disheartened. The MMD will be back. We must all face the reality that
sometimes it is time for change. Since 1991, the MMD has been in power. I
believe we have done a good job on behalf of all Zambians.

Frederick Chiluba led us to a genuine multi-party state and introduced the private
sector to our key industries. Zambia was liberated by an MMD ideal but maybe we
became complacent with our ideals. Maybe we did not listen, maybe we did not
hear.

Did we become grey and lacking in ideas? Did we lose momentum? Our duty now
is to go away and reflect on any mistakes we may have made and learn from
them. If we do not, we do not deserve to contest power again.

The Zambia we know today was built by an MMD government. We know our place
in history and we know that we can come back to lead again in the future. A new

leadership will be chosen, and that leadership will be from the younger
generation.

My generation… the generation of the independence struggle– must now give way
to new ideas; ideas for the 21st century. From this defeat, a new, younger MMD
will be re-born. If I can serve that re-building, then I will.

I must thank my Cabinet for delivering on our promises. We did a lot of good for
Zambia. Many of our projects will blossom into bright flowers. Some of you will be
back to serve Zambia again – I know you will do your best for your party and for
your country.

To the civil servants and government officials, it has been a privilege to serve with
you. We have worked many long hours together. We did it not for ourselves but for
Zambia. Serve your next masters as you did me, and Zambia will be in good
hands.

I must thank my family and my wife. They have stood by me and I cannot ask for
more loyalty than that which they have displayed. I love you all dearly and I will
always be in your debt. Being President is hard work, it takes long hours of work.
And because of it, I have not always been there for you. Yet, still you were there
for me. Words cannot express the depth of my love for you all. All I ask is that my
family continues to serve Zambia as I have sought to do.

But my greatest thanks must go to the Zambian people. We may be a small
country on the middle of Africa but we are a great nation. Serving you has been a
pleasure and an honour. I wish I could have done more, I wish I had more time to
give. Our potential is great. Our resources are impressive.

I urge you all now to rally behind your new President. Yes, we may have different
ideas but we both want the same thing – a better Zambia. Now is not the time for
violence and retribution.

Now is the time to unite and build tomorrow’s Zambia together. Only by working
together can we achieve a more prosperous Zambia. In my years of retirement, I
hope to watch Zambia grow. I genuinely want Zambia to flourish. We should all
want Zambia to flourish. So, I congratulate Michael Sata on his victory. I have no
ill feeling in my heart, there is no malice in my words. I wish him well in his years
as President. I pray his policies will bear fruit.

But now it is time for me to step aside. Now is the time for a new leader. My time
is done. It is time for me to say ‘good bye’.

May God watch over the Zambian people and may he bless our beautiful nation.

I thank you.

New Zambian President Michael Sata told Beijing on Monday he welcomed Chinese companies investing in Africa's biggest copper producer but only if they obeyed the law, especially by employing more Zambian workers. In his first official appointment since being elected president on Friday , Sata met Chinese ambassador Zhou Yuxiao to dispel fears his sometimes fierce anti-Chinese rhetoric while in opposition would translate into a shift in investment policy.
However, he also made clear that Chinese companies that have so far ploughed more than $2 billion into developing the mining sector in the southern African country would not be getting preferential treatment.
"We welcome your investment but as we welcome your investment, your investment should benefit Zambians and not the Chinese," Sata said.
"It is in law that all investors who are coming to Zambia should bring a limited number of expatriates whom they cannot find in Zambia. My party has taken concern at the unlimited number of people your investors are bringing to Zambia."

Read more from Reuters

Hope our president have seen this...n mmmh I dnt know if tanzanians can be trusted to work in these big companies...we are so greed.

Tanzanians can work in these big companies as long as you give them fair treatment.It can happen you are doing the same job as the expatriate but you earn 1600000tshs and he earns 5000$ plus house,car etc
Whom do you will be motivated to deliver more?

huyu ndo rais anaongea blank and white sio yule wa nchi fulani ni kigugumizi tupu

Where are you Mr president. if you were to work on our ideas this could have been the first to start with.....

Rais wa Zambia ameanza kazi yake kwa kasi
Leo hii amebadilisha majina ya air port yaliyowekwa na Li-CCM la Zambia

President Michael Sata has renamed the country’s international airports after first post-independence ruler Kenneth Kaunda and two other liberation heroes.
All changes will be with immediate effect, he said.

He observed that Zambia’s problems were because Zambians had forgotten the past, saying his decision to rename the airports was aimed at reconciling the past and the present.

“Without the past, there will be no present, and without the present, there will be no future,” said 74-year-old Sata, who was voted into office last week.

Hivi ndivyo Obama alitakiwa kufanya. Badala yake akasikiza maneno ya Illuminati!

What? Our 'mheshimiwa'? Are you sure he is not in the pockets of the big boys? Forgot about the designer trousers? Only the president who does not rely on 'wafadhili' and who has not been 'bought' can do and say what Sata had said, mark my words. Forget it in Tanzania.

Rais ana 74 years.... and we expect some changes, LOL

mandela alikuwa na 80 yyears na alileta changes
kikwete alikuwa na 50s na hakuweza kuleta changes,aliweza kufanya changes za mademu!

anajulikana kwa maamuzi magumu,lazima kuna watu wataumia sana
Yeah... like contesting since Kaunda was a live wire...

waafrika tuna shida sana, hutu tubabu tutatufikisha wapi jamani ?? nakumbuka tulisema JK kijana, ni kwa sababu ya upuuzi huu huu wa umri wa miaka ya kwenye bible

mandela alikuwa na 80 yyears na alileta changes
kikwete alikuwa na 50s na hakuweza kuleta changes,aliweza kufanya changes za mademu!

Kama unaijua south africa vizuri utakubali kwamba Mandela never brought any changes tunazozirefer hapa hasa kwenye policy levels, he was fell good factor and a harmonizer (which zambians and Tz's dont need) mkuu... hebu karejee tena references zako.... changes were brought by waliochoka na status quo ya mandela-zuma etc

aiseeeeeeee