World's cleverest man turns down $1million prize after solving one of mathematics' gr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babylon

JF-Expert Member
Feb 5, 2009
World's cleverest man turns down $1million prize after solving one of mathematics' greatest puzzles

Last updated at 11:02 PM on 22nd March 2010
article-1259863-053D83590000044D-168_233x334.jpg
No need for greed: A rare photo of bearded and reclusive genius Dr Grigory Perelman

An impoverished Russian who has been called the world's cleverest man today said he does not need a $1million prize awarded by a prestigious American institute for solving one of the most intractable problems in mathematics.

Dr Grigory Perelman prefers to live as a recluse in his grim cockroach-infested flat in St Petersburg.
Told about the financial prize for solving the Poincare Conjecture which had confounded mathematicians for a century, he said through his closed front door: 'I don't need anything. I have all I want.'
The bearded genius, aged 44, was named last week as winner of the $1 million prize by the Clay Mathematics Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Four years ago, after posting his solution on the web, he failed to turn up to receive his prestigious Fields Medal from the International Mathematical Union in Madrid.
At the time he stated: 'I'm not interested in money or fame. I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo.

'I'm not a hero of mathematics. I'm not even that successful, that is why I don't want to have everybody looking at me.'
Neighbour Vera Petrovna said: 'I was once in his flat and I was astounded. He only has a table, a stool and a bed with a dirty mattress which was left by previous owners - alcoholics who sold the flat to him.

'We are trying to get rid of cockroaches in our block, but they hide in his flat.'
It was in 2003 that Perelman, then a researcher at the Steklov Institute of Mathematics in St. Petersburg, began posting papers online suggesting he had solved the Poincare Conjecture, one of seven major mathematical puzzles for which the Clay Institute is offering $1 million each.

Rigorous tests proved he was correct.

The topological conundrum essentially states that any three-dimensional space without holes in it is equivalent to a stretched sphere.
The puzzle was more than 100 years old when Perelman solved it - and can help determine the shape of the universe.

After 2003 Perelman gave up his job at the Steklov Institute. Friends have been reported as saying he has resigned from mathematics altogether - finding the subject too painful to discuss.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...thematics-greatest-puzzles.html#ixzz0ix1Qhqy9

sijui wanakuaga na matatizo gani hawa jamaa kuna yule mwingine, mmarekani alie gundua or endeleza a little bit of the formula to with the mystery of the 'black hole' jina silijui hila amechangia something in the formula ambayo even to date bado inaishia na infirnity. na yeye hivi hivi ingawa aliichukua lakini akagawana na ma-colleagues wake mwisho akabaki na kidogo eti yupo happy na maisha yake aitaji hela nyingi.

Mi nadhani hawa watu wanakua na uchizi kidogo ukiwafuatilia baadhi maana hata wanavyokufa mara mwingine kajirusha gorofani sababu azijulikani mara sijui wamefia ngazini wamekutwa wamelewa yaani ni very weird people.

Dr Grigory Perelman.

Jina, madevu, pua na masikio yanamshitaki jamaa kuwa ni Myahudi.

It took a panel of professors to understand his solution, na wengi bado walikuwa wanajaribu kuielewa nahisi..lol

Hizo quotes wanazosema zake huenda wamezitengeza maana jamaa ana-snub any chance to be interviewed or photographed, na anaishi kwenye hicho ki-apartment na mama yake.

I'm sorry...but I just had to mention this....he's white. So you can fill in the blank(s)........

This is old news, I thoiught somebody else was doing this, come to find out it is the Poincare's conjecture Russian recluse.

Salinger and Solzhenitsyn were also like that. I can understand Solzhenitsyn after the ringer they put him through, and this other guy is also Russian, so they probably run him through some Marx approved, "division by zero is allowed" maths and he fell out with all hues of the establishment, that's whats up.

But Salinger I could never figure out.

sijui wanakuaga na matatizo gani hawa jamaa kuna yule mwingine, mmarekani alie gundua or endeleza a little bit of the formula to with the mystery of the 'black hole' jina silijui hila amechangia something in the formula ambayo even to date bado inaishia na infirnity. na yeye hivi hivi ingawa aliichukua lakini akagawana na ma-colleagues wake mwisho akabaki na kidogo eti yupo happy na maisha yake aitaji hela nyingi.

Mi nadhani hawa watu wanakua na uchizi kidogo ukiwafuatilia baadhi maana hata wanavyokufa mara mwingine kajirusha gorofani sababu azijulikani mara sijui wamefia ngazini wamekutwa wamelewa yaani ni very weird people.

Ni sisi tusiojua principles ndio tunawashangaa.Huyu jamaa Perelman bureaucracy ya Russia na establishment nzima ya academia imem dissapoint for the longest.

Sasa anaona ni wakati wake wa kusema "fvck you and your money" nishakuwa poor all my life mme ni ignore, leo ndiyo mnataka kuni recognize kwa sababu ya some conjecture?

Ni sisi tusiojua principles ndio tunawashangaa.Huyu jamaa Perelman bureaucracy ya Russia na establishment nzima ya academia imem dissapoint for the longest.

Sasa anaona ni wakati wake wa kusema "fvck you and your money" nishakuwa poor all my life mme ni ignore, leo ndiyo mnataka kuni recognize kwa sababu ya some conjecture?

Hila lazima ukubali ana matatizo regardless of his firm principles, kwanza si umesoma hata neighbours wake wanalalamika anawaletea mende kwenye block.

Na kama maisha kususa susa basi leo wengi wasingekuwa na mafanikio, kwenye dunia uliopo its common for ideas to be ignored by some only to succeed through self determination.

Dyson idea of his hoover was seen as useless, even ladygaga was seen as waste of investment at first by universal huyu ana uchizi tu. kwanza as a lecture nyumba ina kiti na meza this tell us something.

Anyway may be chizi in our social consesus, lakini sio chizi kwake yeye mwenyewe some people are free na huyu ni mmoja wao, hila in our definitions of chizi unaweza kumuweka huko?

Hila lazima ukubali ana matatizo regardless of his firm principles, kwanza si umesoma hata neighbours wake wanalalamika anawaletea mende kwenye block.

Na kama maisha kususa susa basi leo wengi wasingekuwa na mafanikio, kwenye dunia uliopo its common for ideas to be ignored by some only to succeed through self determination.

Dyson idea of his hoover was seen as useless, even ladygaga was seen as waste of investment at first by universal huyu ana uchizi tu. kwanza as a lecture nyumba ina kiti na meza this tell us something.

Anyway may be chizi in our social consesus, lakini sio chizi kwake yeye mwenyewe some people are free na huyu ni mmoja wao, hila in our definitions of chizi unaweza kumuweka huko?

Si kila mtu anafikiri unavyofikiri wewe, wewe ni miongoni mwa wengi wanavyofikiri ndio maana uko tofauti naye. Yeye fikra zake ni tofauti ndio maana kafanikiwa kupata hiyo solution.

Kuwa na nyumba kubwa, viti vingi, magari n.k kwako ni mafanikio lakini kwake ni upuuzi tu. Yeye mafanikio ni kupata solution sio kujilimbikizia mali wakati bado matatizo kibaaao.

Nahisi ana kauchizi kidogo. Nadhani huwa wanafyatuka kidogo...
Imagine the puzzle, he must have developed a lot of factual assumptions before solving!!!

Si kila mtu anafikiri unavyofikiri wewe, wewe ni miongoni mwa wengi wanavyofikiri ndio maana uko tofauti naye. Yeye fikra zake ni tofauti ndio maana kafanikiwa kupata hiyo solution.

Kuwa na nyumba kubwa, viti vingi, magari n.k kwako ni mafanikio lakini kwake ni upuuzi tu. Yeye mafanikio ni kupata solution sio kujilimbikizia mali wakati bado matatizo kibaaao.

Jamani acheni tu.......

why everything jews? this guy came from jewish family in st.pitsburg! are jews the cleveriest pipo on earth? is it related with the idea of being the choosed nation? is it a mere coincidence?

Magenius wengi hawapendi distraction. Wanapenda upweke ambao unaashiria concentration of mind. Hwataki kelele za aina yoyote. Kwetu sisi tusio majiniasi tunaowana machizi, lakini ndiyo siri ya kuwa jiniasi. Lazima ujitenge na watu na kufanya kazi wakati wote mpaka anasahau kula wala kulala. Ndiyo maana Perelman kagundua hiyo fomula iliyowashinda kwa miongo kadhaa: Majinias hawako social kwani kwao sociability ni upotezaji wa muda katika kufanya kazi za utafiti. Kumbe hatuwezi kuwaelewa majiniasi bila sisi wenyewe kuwa memba wa klabu yao.

Wewe unaijua Poincare's Conjecture? Umesoma hapo kwamba dunia nzima imeumiza vichwa kwa miaka 100 imeshindwa, kaja mchizi kapasua, halafu wewe unataka ku mind mende? If that is the price the world has to pay to better know the shape of the universe it is a small price indeed.

Huwezi kumlazimisha aione dunia kama unavyoiona wewe, uwezo wake wa kimahesabu na spirit yake ya ku perservere inaonyesha ni mtu exceptional, ndilo hili waswahili wengine tuliozoea average mediocrity tunaona mtu ana matatizo.

Sio kila mtu yuko motivated na money and fame, kuna machizi kibao walisolve perplexing problems na hata hawaku publish. Isaac Newton mwenyewe kama si kushikiwa bango na Edmund Halley ingekuwa kazi zake karibu zote zisingechapwa.

Kama alivyosema Richard Feynman, the best of scientists are motivated by "the pleasure of finding things out".

Mchizi kawapeni ma solution kwenye internet, halafu kawafungia mlango, hata dola milioni moja yenu haitaki, halafu bado mna nerve ya kumtukana?

Binadamu kweli hana shukurani, hata umfanyie nini.

Wewe unaijua Poincare's Conjecture? Umesoma hapo kwamba dunia nzima imeumiza vichwa kwa miaka 100 imeshindwa, kaja mchizi kapasua, halafu wewe unataka ku mind mende? If that is the price the world has to pay to better know the shape of the universe it is a small price indeed.

Mchizi kawapeni ma solution kwenye internet, halafu kawafungia mlango, hata dola milioni moja yenu haitaki, halafu bado mna nerve ya kumtukana?

Binadamu kweli hana shukurani, hata umfanyie nini.
Im not gonna come here and claim to know anything about what he did, hila yeye si wa kwanza kushinda hiyo zawadi hata kwenye field yake alone. Hila tabia zake can be defined as follows
  1. Deviation from statistical norms;the word abnormal means 'away from the norm'. Many population facts are measured such as height, weight and intelligence. Most of the people fall within the middle range of intelligence, but a few are abnormally stupid. But according to this definition, a person who is extremely intelligent would be classified as abnormal. Thus in defining abnormal behavior we must consider more.
  2. Deviation from social norms; every vulture has certain standards for acceptable behavior; behavior that deviates from that standard is considered to be abnormal behavior. But those standards can change with time and vary from one society to another. source: thinkpad
Sasa hata by defintion na ukisoma post yake inatuambia ya kuwa kuna personality disorder hapo na ni chanzo cha uchizi wenyewe.

Im not gonna come here and claim to know anything about what he did, hila yeye si wa kwanza kushinda hiyo zawadi hata kwenye field yake alone.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.

Why, you don't even know your own language and yet you play some quack psychiatrist.

Why, you don't even know your own language and yet you play some quack psychiatrist.
I ve noted after many of my post it appears bad if im honest, though i dont do proof read i must say. With regards to ur quary there is a difference between the person you brought and what i am.

All in all i can call 'me' an expert on the subject and a very good one. Try stay in ur zones and u can defend ur arguments. That is the reason what i dont know i cant claim to know it or even try to argue on it, but what i know i always to try to correct it. Coming to think of it may be you should do the same, ooh i just remembered its JF people can interpret the meaning some members appears to know it all, really?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom