Mfahamu marehemu Sheikh Ali Muhsin Barwani (1919 - 2006)

Mohamed Said

JF-Expert Member
Nov 2, 2008
OcSRAcX3avvAdky9cfhgg9s4aeRanuTeQ8BP1cQXR2hT=w319-h480-no

Sheikh Ali Muhsin Barwani
(1919 - 2006)

''…one of Ali's ambitions was to transform Zanzibar into a non-racial society but those with ulterior motives managed to steer Zanzibar away from this goal…''

SHEIKH ALI MUHSIN AL-BARWANI POET, SCHOLAR AND POLITICIAN

ALI MUHSIN al-BARWANI (1919-2006), poet, scholar and politician, was born in Baghani, Zanzibar Stone Town, on 13 January 1919, the son of Sheikh Muhsin Ali Isa al-Barwani (1878-1953) and Bi. Zayana binti Salim. The Barwani clan have their origins in Oman, but by the close of the 19th century they had assimilated to the Swahili way of life, several members emerging as prominent Sunni scholars, of whom Sheikh Ali's father was one.

During the years of the Busa'idi Sultanate based in Zanzibar the Barwani were involved in the development of the east African coast from Barawa (in the north, in what was to become Italian Somaliland) to Lindi, in the south, a town founded by Sheikh Ali's maternal grandfather (in what was to become German East Africa). His maternal grandmother was related to the wa Mtwapa, one of the twelve miji (or taifa 'groups') comprising Swahili Mombasa. Ali was an outstanding student and in 1937, aged eighteen, he passed effortlessly from government secondary school in Zanzibar to university at Makerere in Kampala.

His admission was unusual in that he gained university entrance on the strength of a phone-call from his headmaster (L.W. Hollingsworth) to the Director of Education, Zanzibar - no examination required ! At Makerere, then the only institution for higher learning in East Africa, Ali read agriculture. A fellow student at that time was Julius Nyerere who, as President of Tanganyika, was to play a significant role in Sheikh Ali's life some 20 years later. In 1942, on his return to Zanzibar, he was employed by the Protectorate government as an assistant agricultural officer at Mangapwani.

Two years later he married Bi. Azza binti Muhammad Seif Al-Busa'idi – marriage made in heaven it would seem. After the second World War (1939-1945) Ali developed a taste for politics which manifested itself in two ways. First, for some fifteen years, he edited the newspaper Mwongozi and, secondly, he joined the Zanzibar Nationalist Party (ZNP).

One of Ali's ambitions was to transform Zanzibar into a non-racial society and, to this end, he promoted the implementation of a common electoral roll. After the Zanzibar Sultanate attained internal self-government in 1961 Sheikh Ali was appointed Minister of Education.

In this post he ensured that married female teachers were eligible for maternity leave and maternity pay - his innovation being soon adopted by other ministries. Subsequent cabinet posts were Minister of the Interior and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Commerce. In March and April 1962 Sheikh Ali visited London for the Kenya Coastal Strip (the Kenya Protectorate) conference at Lancaster House, which closed without any firm decision being taken on the integration of the coastal strip (mwambao) with the rest of Kenya. Sheikh Ali attended as one of eight
elected members from Zanzibar.

On 12 January 1964 a revolution brought the Busa'idi Sultanate in Zanzibar (established in the 1830s) to a bloody and sudden end Sheikh Ali (with others) was detained for six months at Kilimani, Zanzibar Stone Town, before being flown to the mainland. Here his detention continued at Keko, Ukonga (Dar-es-Salaam), Dodoma, Mwanza and Bukoba for a period of ten years and four months, but he was never charged with any offence. In May 1974 he was released, but his application for a Tanzanian passport was refused.

Sheikh Ali then determined to enter neighbouring Kenya illicitly. His point of entry was Vanga, and thence he traveled to Nairobi (via Mombasa) where he applied for and obtained refugee status. He was fated never to see Zanzibar again. Perhaps the authorities in both revolutionary Zanzibar and in Tanganyika (subsequently the United Republic of Tanzania) saw in Sheikh Ali's intellect and ability a potential threat to their leadership. Whether this was so or not it is now idle to speculate. Once his papers were in order Sheikh Ali traveled to Cairo.

After a stay of several years he returned to Kenya, this time lawfully.For a while he lived in Ganjoni, Mombasa, and then at Mtongwe. From there Sheikh Ali and his family moved to Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. Here, in 1989 his beloved companion for life died, after almost half a century of marriage.

It was the cruelest of blows. At about this time began the affliction of failing eyesight. Notwithstanding, Sheikh Ali was able to complete and publish his magnum opus, his interpretation of the Qur'an into the Swahili of Zanzibar (kiUnguja). This monumental work (the first impression appeared in two volumes, 1995; the second in one volume, 2000) owes everything to the Swahili of Sheikh Ali's parents and nothing to the standardized language of Europeans and others.

This was truly a labour of love, with beauty and elegance evident in virtually every verse. In 1997 came Ruwaza Njema ('The Perfect Pattern'), a long poem in praise of the Prophet Muhammad, with exemplary annotations at the end of each chapter. The years which remained to him were spent in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman, the birthplace of his wife's parents. Had there been no revolution in Zanzibar and had the Bu Sa'idi Sultanate not been terminated it is conceivable that Sheikh Ali might have attained the highest office in the land, but it was not to be.

Sheikh Ali's claim to fame lies rather less in the domain of politics, and rather more in the pages of his Swahili Qur'an. He was not the first to attempt such a task (notable predecessors were Sheikh al-Amin bin Ali al-Mazrui and Sheikh Abdullah Saleh al-Farsy) but > it is Sheikh Ali's text which best displays the Swahili language in all its glory.

Moreover, it was a task undertaken not lightly, and carried to its conclusion at a time of great personal distress. This, his memorial, will surely endure for as long as the language and the literature of the Swahili-speaking peoples survive. Sheikh Ali died in Muscat on Monday 20 March, 2006, in his eighty-sixth year.

======

Sheikh Ali Muhsin Barwani wakati wa kupigania uhuru wa Zanzibar alikuwa kiongozi wa Zanzibar Nationalist Party (ZNP) vilevile chama hiki kikijulikana kama Hizbu.

Kwa mapenzi makubwa wanachama wa Zanzibar walikuwa wanamwita, "Zaim" yaani Kiongozi. Ilikuwa nia ya Sheikh Ali Muhsin Zanzibar ipiganie uhuru wake chini ya chama kimoja cha kizalendo chenye nguvu chama cha kitaifa badala ya vyama vilivyojijenga katika misingi ya rangi.

Ilikuwa pigo kubwa sana kwake Abeid Amani Karume alipoasisi Afro Shirazi Party, chama kilichosimama kwa maslahi ya Waafrika na Washirazi. Sheikh Ali Muhsin alipigania uhuru wa Zanzibar mpaka ukapatikana tarehe 10 December 1963.

Sheikh Ali Muhsin alishiriki katika mkutano wa katiba Lancaster House. Baada ya mapinduzi yaliyotokea Zanzibar tarehe 12 Januari 1964 Sheikh Ali Muhsin alikamatwa na kusafirishwa Tanganyika ambako alifungwa Ukonga na jela nyingine kwa kipindi cha miaka 10 na miezi michache.

Katika kipindi alichokuwa kifungoni Sheikh Ali Muhsin aliandika miswada kadhaa ambayo alikuja kuichapa kama vitabu baada ya kutoka kifungoni.

Kabla hajafa mwaka 2006 Sheikh Ali Muhsin aliandika kitabu cha maisha yake, ''Conflict and Harmony in Zanzibar,'' ambacho kilikuja kufasiriwa kama ''Kujenga na Kubomolewa Zanzibar.''

Katika kitabu hiki cha maisha yake Sheikh Ali Muhsin anaeleza yaliyopitika Zanzibar kabla na baada ya mapinduzi. Baada ya kushindwa kupata pasi ya kusafiria, Sheikh Ali Muhsin alitoroka nchini mwaka 1974.

Hadi anafariki siku zote Sheikh Ali Muhsin alikuwa akisema yale hayakuwa mapinduzi bali mavamizi.

Ingia hapa kusikiliza kipindi: Skh Ali Muhsin Barwan - Mohamed Said

mash'Allah kwa darsa yako.

Hakika wewe ni bahri ya ilmu, tupo hapa utudarsishe.

Nimemuona Mwanakijiji amekutaja kiaina katika mada yake katika gazeti la Tanzania daima la jana 30/April 2014 la huko Tz

Ahsantum na Allah akuzidishie.

Haya ndo yale ukitaka kujua muungano bado lazima ujue historia ya mapinduzi.
Sasa vyereje sheikh Ali Muhsin waziri serikali ya zanzibar huru kapinduliwa zanzibar hana kosa lolote alofanya lakini jela akatupwa ukonga mpaka bukoba!!!
Ndio hizo nyimbo za kina Asha bakari mapinduzi daima na sie tumepindua..ukitaka nchi tupindue kumbe wasilo lijua ni kuwa na wao wako biru chini

Haya ndo yale ukitaka kujua muungano bado lazima ujue historia ya mapinduzi.
Sasa vyereje sheikh Ali Muhsin waziri serikali ya zanzibar huru kapinduliwa zanzibar hana kosa lolote alofanya lakini jela akatupwa ukonga mpaka bukoba!!!
Ndio hizo nyimbo za kina Asha bakari mapinduzi daima na sie tumepindua..ukitaka nchi tupindue kumbe wasilo lijua ni kuwa na wao wako biru chini

Tumeambiwa alianzia kufungwa Kilimani UNGUJA kwa miezi sita kabla ya kuhamishiwa Bara.

Amandla.......

English please.

I am baffled by your request and perhaps you may find this a little bit offensive. I am not sure about your intention in asking me to translate that in English but I had told my great and most authoritative writer Sheikh Mohammed Said to enlighten us more on this very important person particularly on the issue relating to Zanzibar terittory in the mainland (i.e. the 10 miles strip that starts from Lamu and end in Maputo Mozambique). I have told Sheikh Mohammed that the person he has mentioned is a jewel to the history of Zanzibar if not a crown jewel. I have heard that Sheikh Ali Muhsin Barwan launched a lawsuit at the United Nation to request that the terittory above should be returned back to Zanzibar and Monarch terittory.

I hope you have understood my request and perhaps let me ask you a question in return. So why did you ask me english please? Did you thought a coffee seller like myself would not be able to comprehend what I have asked him in English?

Al habiby tunapata faraja sana na darsa yako ila tuwekee na kiswahili ila na wengine wafaidike

Al - bajouny,
Niwie radhi ndugu yangu.

Hiyo taazia mimi nimeipata katika Coastweek gazeti kutoka Mombasa na
hilo ni gazeti la Kiingereza.

Kwa ajili hiyo nami nikaiweka hapo kama nilivyoipata.
Tuwaombe wanajamvi watufanyie tafasiri.

mash'Allah kwa darsa yako.

Hakika wewe ni bahri ya ilmu, tupo hapa utudarsishe.

Nimemuona Mwanakijiji amekutaja kiaina katika mada yake katika gazeti la Tanzania daima la jana 30/April 2014 la huko Tz

Ahsantum na Allah akuzidishie.

Barubaru,
Mwanakijiji anaogopa kupiga mbizi aibuke na lulu.

Kote alikopita kanikopi ila kwa ujanja ambao mtu kama wewe huwezi kuzugika.
Anatumia maneno ''mzee,'' bila kujua.

Nyerere alikuwa mkubwa kwa Abdul Sykes kwa miaka miwili.

Nyerere alipokutana na Abdul Sykes Abdul alikuwa na miaka 28 na Nyerere
alikuwana miaka 30 wote walikuwa vijana sana.

Sasa hii ya ''mzee,'' sijui kaitoa wapi.

Katika kuileta TAA katika mikono ya vijana walikuwapo wazee nao ni Sheikh
Hassan bin Amir, Schneider Abdillah Plantan
na Clement Mohamed Mtamila,
Said Chamwenyewe na wengineo.

Hawa ndiyo walikuwa wazee.

Dk Kyaruzi hakukaa sana katika uongozi wa TAA.

Kuna mambo mimi sikuyaweka kwenye kitabu kwa ajili ya staha.

Liko sakata la Amri Kweyamba wa Special Branch na timu yake walipovamia
nyumba ya Abdul Sykes na Nyerere yuko ndani Mtaa wa Sikukuu.

Ilibidi Nyerere ajifiche asikutwe pale.

Mwache Mwanakijiji abwabwaje hana moja anolojua.

Sina haja ya kuendelea zaidi na mtu huyu nilishamuwia radhi siku nyingi sana.
Nilimwambia mwandikieni kitabu Nyerere ndiyo mtaweza labda kumnusuru.

Msipamchike na sifa zisizokuwa zake.
Mtachekesha.

Barubaru,
Hilo ni gazeti la juma lilopita la jana sijui kasema nini maana sinalo.

Mohamed Said
Tunashukuru kwa jitihada zako za kuitafuta na kuiweka wazi historia halisi ya uhuru ya nchii hii.
Kisa hiki cha Ali Muhsin ni moja ya mambo ambayo vijana wengi hawajui ni nani na upi mchango wake katika harakati za uhuru wa Zanzibar.
Kuna mtu mmoja muhimu katika historia ya Zanzibar huru, huyu si mwengine balii ni Sheikh Mohamed Shamte, waziri mkuu wa Zanzibar huru.
Wengi hatujui historia yake,
Alikotoka na nini kilimfika baada ya mapinduzi
Jee na yeye aligungwa magereza ya nyerere ? Kuna mtu anajinasibu naye kule zanzibar Bakari Shamte huyu mpaka nishani ya miaka 50 ya mapinfuzi katunukiwa.
Tunakuomba hebu utufanyie utafiti kidogo kuhusu Mohamed Shamte na maisha yake.
Natanguliza shukrani

Last edited by a moderator:
I am baffled by your request and perhaps you may find this a little bit offensive. I am not sure about your intention in asking me to translate that in English but I had told my great and most authoritative writer Sheikh Mohammed Said to enlighten us more on this very important person particularly on the issue relating to Zanzibar terittory in the mainland (i.e. the 10 miles strip that starts from Lamu and end in Maputo Mozambique). I have told Sheikh Mohammed that the person he has mentioned is a jewel to the history of Zanzibar if not a crown jewel. I have heard that Sheikh Ali Muhsin Barwan launched a lawsuit at the United Nation to request that the terittory above should be returned back to Zanzibar and Monarch terittory.

I hope you have understood my request and perhaps let me ask you a question in return. So why did you ask me english please? Did you thought a coffee seller like myself would not be able to comprehend what I have asked him in English?
Umejibiwa...
English please.
Na wewe jibu hata mistari miwili tu kama unaweza.

Teh teh teh

Mohamed Said
Tunashukuru kwa jitihada zako za kuitafuta na kuiweka wazi historia halisi ya uhuru ya nchii hii.
Kisa hiki cha Ali Muhsin ni moja ya mambo ambayo vijana wengi hawajui ni nani na upi mchango wake katika harakati za uhuru wa Zanzibar.
Kuna mtu mmoja muhimu katika historia ya Zanzibar huru, huyu si mwengine balii ni Sheikh Mohamed Shamte, waziri mkuu wa Zanzibar huru.
Wengi hatujui historia yake,
Alikotoka na nini kilimfika baada ya mapinduzi
Jee na yeye aligungwa magereza ya nyerere ? Kuna mtu anajinasibu naye kule zanzibar Bakari Shamte huyu mpaka nishani ya miaka 50 ya mapinfuzi katunukiwa.
Tunakuomba hebu utufanyie utafiti kidogo kuhusu Mohamed Shamte na maisha yake.
Natanguliza shukrani

crabat,
Huyo ni Baraka Shamte siyo Bakari Shamte.

Baraka Shamte ni mtoto wa Sheikh Mohamed Shamte aliyekuwa
Waziri Mkuu Zanzibar ambae alipnduliwa na yeye akaja kufungwa
Ukonga Prison, Dar es Salaam.

Habari zake ni nzito kada huyu wa ASP na CCM.
Nakuombeni wanajamvi muwe na subira.

Nimefanya mahojianonae nyumbani kwake Mkunazini Zanzibar nikiwa
na TV Imaan.

Subirini hivi karibuni TV yetu itakuwa hewani kupitia Startime In Sha
Allah mtamsikie yeye mwenyewe akijieleza.

Picha hiyo hapo chini tukiwa katika majadiliano:
ALI+MUHSIN%252C+KARUME+BABU%252C+SHAMTE.jpg

Sheikh Mohamed Shamte

20121124_144923.jpg

crabat,
Huyo ni Baraka Shamte siyo Bakari Shamte.

Baraka Shamte ni mtoto wa Sheikh Mohamed Shamte aliyekuwa
Waziri Mkuu Zanzibar ambae alipnduliwa na yeye akaja kufungwa
Ukonga Prison, Dar es Salaam.

Habari zake ni nzito kada huyu wa ASP na CCM.
Nakuombeni wanajamvi muwe na subira.

Nimefanya mahojianonae nyumbani kwake Mkunazini Zanzibar nikiwa
na TV Imaan.

Subirini hivi karibuni TV yetu itakuwa hewani kupitia Startime In Sha
Allah mtamsikie yeye mwenyewe akijieleza.

Picha hiyo hapo chini tukiwa katika majadiliano:

20121124_144923.jpg

Ahsante tutasubiri kwa hamu ila hivi vingamuzi ndio tatizo...viko vingi hivyo tunaweza tusione sote hio interview.itakuwa vyema tukapata link na hata habari zake kwenye hapa forum

Ahsante tutasubiri kwa hamu ila hivi vingamuzi ndio tatizo...viko vingi hivyo tunaweza tusione sote hio interview.itakuwa vyema tukapata link na hata habari zake kwenye hapa forum

crabat,
In Sha Allah tukiwa hewani kipindi hicho utakiona na vingine vingi sana.

English please.

wewe mwana wa kufikia leo hii unajifanya unaongea kiingereza??

kwi kwi kwi kwi.

na kwa mfano ni kisema Matola! The rat the cat the dog chased killed ate the malt!

au nikasema

This exceeding trifling witling, considering ranting criticizing concerning adopting fitting wording being exhibiting transcending learning, was displaying, notwithstanding ridiculing, surpassing boasting swelling reasoning, respecting correcting erring writing, and touching detecting deceiving arguing during debating

Hebu kweli kama wewe ni mjua hicho kiingereza nipe tafsiri, Tena nakuruhusu utumie hata dictionary!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Umejibiwa...

Na wewe jibu hata mistari miwili tu kama unaweza.

Teh teh teh

Ritz,

I think Matola wanted to just change the topic by sarcastically asking me to write in english. If not I guess he still suffers from the disease known as Mswahili syndrome!!!!!:der:

Back
Top Bottom