English learning thread

With written English I advise that you always try to use short sentences. One could revise/break down your statement above into more sentences as follows:

Thanks Pangu Pakavu. I am poor in writting but its worse when it comes to the issue of speaking. I do not have such confidence in speaking, I feel uncomfortable and shy, but I have made up my mind. I hope one day I will be fluent.

Also note that the capital I (refering to self) - not i.
Noted pmwasyoke,I am learning alot here,the class have started,I am taking notes

I note that you have begun and I congratulate you. Your level is actually quite good. I am myself not all that good, and I need people to correct me too. We need to encourage each other. Many mistakes can be avoided by using shorter sentences, especially when our command of the language is not very advanced.
pmwasyoke, some few corrections on your paragraph.
I have noticed you over use pronouns.
See how I would have written ur message:

I congratulate you for having started already. Your level is actually quite good. Personally, I am not that good and need to be corrected too. We need to encourage each other.

*nb: i concur with you on the 'use short sentences when you aren't too conversant with any language' advice.
Kudos...keep it up mama wawili.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you all the best Mama Wawili. You could start by writing a short diary/journal entry about various aspects of your day. Writing in paragraphs will be much better than concentrating on isolated sentences. Good luck!

thanks for the wish Reginald,and the idea will be implimented soon,I will be posting short stories or descibe something hope you will challenge and correct me,thanks again

mama wawili, jizoeshe kusoma kila gazeti au kitabu kilichondikwa Kiingereza unachoweza kukitia mkononi, itakusaidia sana, ongea Kiingereza kila unapopata fursa, usikasirike kukosolewa wala usione haya kuwa utakosea. Jiepushe kuongea swanglish, yaani kile Kiingereza cha kina Wema Sepetu cha kuchanganya na Kiswahili.

I note that you have begun and I congratulate you. Your level is actually quite good. I am myself not all that good, and I need people to correct me too. We need to encourage each other. Many mistakes can be avoided by using shorter sentences, especially when our command of the language is not very advanced.

Myself I am not all that good,..........

Thanks Pngu pakavu,am poor in writting but its worst when it comes to the issue of speaking,i dont have such a confidence to speak,i feel un comfortable and shame,but i have made my mind ,hope one day i will be fluent
hi mama wawili. . What do you mean when you say you want to learn English while you know it? Jokes aside, your English is good bearing in mind that it is not your mother tongue.

thanks for the wish Reginald,and the idea will be implimented soon,I will be posting short stories or descibe something hope you will challenge and correct me,thanks again

Let us use pwasyoke's idea of writing shorter sentences: Thank you for wishing me well Reginald. The idea will be implemented soon. I will be posting short stories or describing things. I hope you will challenge and correct me. Thank you.

You could also say, " I will post short stories or describe things."

Hi members,I am happy to see people are interested in learning new things.In any language,if you want to be good you should learn first the grammar.So my advice to Mama Wawili,while we can help one another through JF,she should find some books in English grammar.Read them or find someone who is good in the language or you can also ask JF members just in case you face problems.My English I can not say is super but I believe to be among the Tanzanians who can speak fluent English.Remember in any language you are allowed to make mistake only when speaking but when it comes to writing you have to make no grammatical errors.I welcome challenges,thanks.

Please visit Ted.com. There are many topical discussions that can be downloaded for offline viewing. I will suggest however to also download the transcript and follow it as the video plays. This approach can enhance the comprehension of the grammer in use. Another vital resource is the discussion following each of the video topic in forms of rforum posts. Many are well written and yet another arsenal in your learning/improvement journey.

Cogratulations mama wawili. Remember, practive makes perfect. Still your English is good, do not worry at all. You are not alone in this, are many behind facing the same, me inclusive.
Bora umesema mapema otherwise nisingekusaidia.
Practise(practise-UK,practice-USA,not practive) makes perfect.
they (you did not put they)are many behind facing the same...

Cogratulations mama wawili. Remember, practive makes perfect. Still your English is good, do not worry at all. You are not alone in this, are many behind facing the same, me inclusive.
Thanks alot Zogwale.Thats why i have decided to express my idea here.I hope if I follow well all the advices i have given,one day my English will be superb.
What forces me to learn english
First is that my son is turning 3 years this month.I am planning to send him in English Medium school,I want to help him in his studies e.g His homework .I do not want him to face the same challenge as his mumy does.
Second I want to start a business which will involve different people.As you know language will help me to communicate with them.
please correct me

Back
Top Bottom