African Satellite World and Sat Gear

change your setup to 68.5 as primary and apstar above it. you wont be disappointed, previous i had the same installation, was hitting s.ni channels 56/57% most of the time could not get them except on weekends when signal went up to above 60%
thanks man I will give that action a try

stansport on is20 seems to be the bed of epl this time 11014 V 3750 -Biss.but I don't remember seeing it

Here is my setup with apstar7 as the prime and the scalar ring on the lnb on is 20
Hmmmm.... You have not used lnb setting of OCS that's why your sytem is showing 3465 amd 3980 instead of 3974 . I am assuming so. However not to take away credit your signal strengths are quite good

CIMG1841.JPG CIMG1844.JPG
Apstar 7 as the primary :whistle:

Yes, it is possible to nab even three or more birds but it depends on some factors like dish size, location, lnb type etc. It will be good to indicate your location and the size of the dish in your possession. This will give a more comprehensive base for advice. If you are considering Strong decoders (as your list suggest), check out SRT 4922 (original - beware of fakes) and 4950H. You could also check out Openbox Combo.
For starters, check the list of birds to select here: LyngSat. You can check how your dish size will perform in your location here:SatStar.net - Setup

thanks Gich.
I have been doing my homework on satellite tv,receivers, polarities, footprint, lnbs, offset dish and the like.

I settled on the OpenBOx, anybody know where I can get the openbox combo receiver?

also,among astra 4A
ses5, amos5, NSS 12, Intelsat-20,Intelsat-22, Nilesat 201..which three among them has variety.
For starters, I know AMos5 is awesome goodies

thanks Gich.
I have been doing my homework on satellite tv,receivers, polarities, footprint, lnbs, offset dish and the like.

I settled on the OpenBOx, anybody know where I can get the openbox combo receiver?

also,among astra 4A
ses5, amos5, NSS 12, Intelsat-20,Intelsat-22, Nilesat 201..which three among them has variety.
For starters, I know AMos5 is awesome goodies
The best three solely depends on your preferences as each offers distinct interesting content (though some may offer same content)
As for the Openbox, pm a forumer called muzombozi.

change your setup to 68.5 as primary and apstar above it. you wont be disappointed, previous i had the same installation, was hitting s.ni channels 56/57% most of the time could not get them except on weekends when signal went up to above 60%
True man i am using same combination no shaking you may sacrifice a few channels though but the most important one will smile on your screen

looking to experiment with a cband lnb on an offset dish anyone know where i can buy cband lnb holder for offset dish plus the conical scalar ring in nairobi?

looking to experiment with a cband lnb on an offset dish anyone know where i can buy cband lnb holder for offset dish plus the conical scalar ring in nairobi?

Am doing just that but the results are not so impressive. But looks promising, get a good LNB because mine a Supermax 444 is not good am getting a 39% on 3974H19500 carrying HBO on Is20 using the pf flat scalar,4950h,90cm. I used a Ku Lnb to get Is20 then removed it and inserted the Cband. More grease to the knees and elbows

More on Mr. Dongra’s 2.4m Offset Dish Fabrication

All,
This is additional information to the post by Dongra (https://www.jamiiforums.com/tech-ga...lite-world-and-sat-gear-542.html#post11570281) on 5[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2015. Mr. Dongra had promised to share the measurements we used. Here they are.

The Dish from Mr. Subbi came without any of its metal parts (LNB arms, neck support structure, stand, etc). Hence we had an uphill task figuring out how to fabricate these. To start with, we used the following simple formula for calculating the Focal length (i.e., length of LNB arm) as:

Focal length = (Width x Width x Width) / (16 x Depth x Height)

In the case of the off-set dish we had: Height = 270 Cm; Width = 250 Cm; Depth = 22 Cm

Therefore, Focal length = (250 x 250 x 250) / (16 x 22 x 270) = 164.4 Cm
Hence the Focal length given by Mr. Subbi of 165Cm, was fairly accurate. We also decided to go by his LNB side support arm length of 197Cm.

CALCULATING THE OFFSET ANGLE:

According to the measurements on the dish:
AB = 270 Cm = distance across dish from top to bottom (HEIGHT)
BF = 165 Cm = distance of bottom of dish to focal point [i.e., size of LNB arm]
AF = ……. = distance of top of dish to focal point
P = 22 Cm= maximum perpendicular distance from the chord to the dish (or DEPTH).

The offset angle ‘theta’ can be calculated using the following formula:
Angle theta = (1/2) x asin(8P/AB) = 0.5 x asin[(8 x 22) / 270] = 20.68 Degrees

This angle of approximately 21 Degrees is comparable to that of the Eurostar 130Cm which is usually between 21 and 22 degrees.

Now that we had found the Offset angle (20.68 Degrees) above;

Offset Angle = asin [(AF - BF) / AB]

Now to calculate the distance AF = distance of top of dish to focal point ......................

From the formula: Angle theta = (1/2)*asin(8P/AB) = 20.68 Degrees,

Also:
20.68 Degrees = asin [(AF - BF) / AB] = asin [(AF – 165)/270

Sin20.68 = (AF – 165)/270 and therefore AF = 260.35

Ideally, this should be the correct length between the top of the Dish and the tip of the LNB focal arm (of 165Cm) in order to achieve an offset angle of 20.68 Degrees.

Therefore, we went ahead to use these measurements for the fabrication of the LNB arm and its support arms.

THEN CAME THE DILEMMA !!

Once this was done; after installing the dish, we started by tracking 5E and got a very strong quality of 85% for the DW TV Transponder. Next we tried 7East. Then we realized that the LNB was not in the right focal position since it was collecting little signal from 7 East.

To overcome this, we decided to bring down the LNB arm and the two side supports and make them adjustable so that we could play around with the arms during the tracking process! Also, thw wind factor was real trouble since the 100Kg or so dish structure plus its metal was shaking at slight provocation. Note that the 3-inch pipe stand structure (anchored by twelve M-10 Roll-bolts on the concrete base) was very firm.

SHOUTS OF JOY !!

Days later, after re-fabrication of the arms and making extra back supports to act as wind break, finally, we managed to track the 7East Europe beam using Focal length of 157Cm instead of 165Cm; and LNB side support arms of 196Cm instead of 197Cm. This effectively altered the Offset Angle.

However, all apart from three TPs are streaming in stable at quality of 78%. The 3 weak ones are scratching at 40% as indicated by Mr. Dongra (11534 V 30000; 11575 V 30000; 11617 V 30000). This means that further minor adjustments can be done to arrive at the original factory Focal position. Next we added other LNBs for 7W, 5E and Amos5.

Attached below find extra photos with measurements we used. Pardon for lots of mathematics above.

View attachment 216569 View attachment 216570 View attachment 216571 View attachment 216572 View attachment 216573 View attachment 216574 View attachment 216575 View attachment 216576 View attachment 216577 View attachment 216578

I always gasp in awe at this, I salute you gentlemen

where to watch uefa champions league....ptv airs only baclays premiaer league , laliga, bundesliga only no uefa..?.

On strong 4950H I scanned Intelsat 20 and apstar 7. The interesting channels. HD ones I have only sound but no video. I was told that entering power Vu keys will unscramble but I have no idea how to go about it with strong 4950h. Please help me out. Am newbie. I cannot get power Vu menu on strong 4950h

Back
Top Bottom