Tanzania Daily News (Dar es Salaam) BY ORTON KIISHWEKO, 19 JULY 2012 Comment NDOVU Resources, a subsidiary company of Aminex Plc of UK has already hit 1.17 trillion cubic feet of gas at Ntorya. The Principal Petroleum Geologist of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC), Mr Sebastian Shana said that the discovery was a result of testing though a Gas initially in place (GIIP) that indicated better prospects. Mr Shana said the GIIP showed that Ruvuma was now estimated to contain 5.7 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas-in-place. Ntorya alone is estimated at 1.17 tcf and 178 billion cubic feet of that is already deemed to be 'discovered.' The report identified a potentially large lead 'up-dip' of Ntorya, which is estimated to be in the order of 2.62tcf. The Ntorya discovery also indicates that the 'gas fairway' related to the large Ruvuma discoveries offshore Tanzania. Currently Aminex is the larger partner in the venture with a 75 per cent, while Solo owns the other 25 per cent. The Nyuni PSA meanwhile is estimated to contain 5.67 tcf of undiscovered gas in place. This acreage comprises mainly offshore prospects from the shallows through the 'transition zone' and into deep waters. According to Mr Shana, gas instruments including gas policy and gas master plan are currently being prepared ahead of a vibrant gas regime. This comes as British Gas Group has also recently achieved a 100 per cent success rate in Tanzania's virgin exploration basin so far in five consecutive gas discoveries. He said the group has managed to drill five consecutive successful gas discoveries offshore. "Naturally, achieving a 100 per cent success rate in this virgin Tanzania exploration basin is extremely encouraging," the Chief Executive Officer of BG Group Sir Frank Chapman briefed President Jakaya Kikwete last week. The group entered the country in 2010 acquiring interests in offshore blocks one, three and four. Blocks three and four cover approximately 20,850 square kilometres of the Mafia Deep Offshore Basin and northern portion of the Ruvuma basin and comprise areas where no previous exploration activity had been conducted. Soon after its entry into Tanzania, BG along with its partner Ophir Energy mobilised a deep water drilling rig to commence a three-well exploration drilling campaign. In October 2011,the Pweza -1 gas discovery was made in April 2011, a third gas discovery was made at the Chjaza -1 well. The second drilling campaign which commenced in January, this year, has been another success, with the first well at Jodari-1 having completed in March and is also a gas discovery. The second exploration well Mzia has also been a further gas discovery.