Rwanda Presidential Guard flee

babukijana

JF-Expert Member
Jul 21, 2009
Written by Norman Miwambo
Sunday, 13 June 2010

President Paul Kagame's bodyguard, Innocent Kalisa, who is used to travel First Class, if not on a presidential jet, was for the first time sealed in a vegetable container onto a plane and ferried to a safer country after escaping from Kigali, the Rwandan capital.

2i6hvm8.jpg

A member of Rwanda's Presidential Republican Guard (PPG) survived death in what could easily be considered a match for a Hollywood movie.

dhbh1d.jpg

KPte Kalisa pictures soon after escaping from prison in Kigali

16gblf7.jpg

President Kagame plays football on the lawn of his Presidential Mansion while Kalisa keeps guard in the background (in grey suit)

In an exclusive interview with this correspondent, Mr Kalisa said he now considers himself the luckiest person. "I really don't know how I got here. I must have been the luckiest person because during the two days I spent in a Safe House, at least 20 people, an average of 10 per day, were executed," Kaliisa, a private in the Rwanda army, (Rwanda Army No. AP98709) who had served in the PPG since 2001 said.

Like many army officers in Kigali now in fear for their lives after President Kagame's recent accusations against former senior Rwandan military officers of being involved in subversive activities against his country, Pte Kaliisa also claims to be suffering from psychological fear every time he sees President Kagame's image.

With handcuffs still on his hands and fear engulfing his face, including fresh wounds allegedly inflicted on him by his tormentors in a safe house at Kabeza, a Kigali suburb, Kaliisa narrated: "There were blood stains on the carpet. I knew that at any time I was also going to be killed. The next night in the safe house, one army major came into one of the rooms and questioned me. He threatened me that the worst was yet to come the following day if I didn't tell him the truth. After he left, I started planning my escape." He said that using the knowledge he had attained from various army courses he had attended, he managed to escape.

Barely months to the country's presidential elections, has Kigali remained hostile to both the opposition and members of the armed forces who have previously had any slight knowledge about the renegade generals who fled the country into exile since last year. According to Pte Kalisa, the only clue to his suffering was when he was demobilized and decided to go to Uganda where he planned to pursue further education.

He explained: "My brother who was in the army and served in the same unit before me, advised me to go for further studies like him. He added: "Apart from visiting Uganda, I have no knowledge about those people [Lt. Gen. Kayumba Nyamwasa and Col. Patrick Karegyeya]. It is just because the President no longer trusts anybody. At the moment, he may not even trust his own shadow," says the former bodyguard. Kaliisa says his only problem is that he did not have any information to give about the renegade army generals who recently fled the country.

Former Chief of Staff and Ambassador to India, Lt. Gen. Kayumba Nyamwasa fled the country in February and joined the former Rwandan Chief Spy, Col. Patrick Karegyeya who fled the country in 2007. Others who have also fled the country include: Theoneste Mushindashaka, Senator Stanley Safari, Lt. Col. Sam Baguma, Capt. Eliphaz Ndikuyezu, Capt. Claude Bizimungu, Capt. John Wuwintari, Capt. John-Bosco Muhizi, Capt. Theobal Gakumba, Capt. John Ontabuka and Jean Pierre Kagubare. All fled the country to seek refuge in exile.

Having served as a close bodyguard and his vast knowledge about the Rwanda presidential set-up, Kalisa fears the Kagame regime will now be after him. He insists he does not know why he has been linked to the army officers now in exile. "I started serving as bodyguard in 2001. I held responsibilities as a close bodyguard to the president's family, including his wife Jeannette and their children. I had never harboured any bad motives against them. But why now?" asks Kalisa, adding: "I have in the past travelled with the President to African States like Tanzania, Mwanza, Zambia-Lusaka, South Africa. Why me at this time," he wondered.

We contacted the head of the Rwanda PPG to make a comment on what Kalisa had said. In an exclusive interview with this reporter and without giving reason why in the first place Kaliisa had been arrested, Colonel Tom Byabagamba, the overall commander of President Kagame's Republican Guard, described Kalisa as a wanted man.

Sounding familiar with what had happened, he said: "Kaliisa? If he is the Kaliisa I know, he was working with us but he escaped from prison." Col. Byabagamba added: "That guy is on a wanted list of our police, you can contact the police spokesperson and they are conversant with his case." He did not mention or single out a single charge levelled against his former subordinate.

However, Col. Byabagamba referred us to the country's police spokesman, Eric Kayiranga who said: "Right now I'm in a stadium, I'm following the defense processions and I can't give the details." With regards to Kalisa, Kayiranga confirmed: "Yes he is a wanted person." Without giving the details of charges against Kalisa, Kayiranga claimed: "Even our newspapers [have referred to him] as a criminal. He should be arrested and brought to face justice."

The country's Police spokesman, who said that Kalisa was a wanted person with a file already in the criminal justice system through Interpol, seemed not to be aware of the actual charges Kalisa is facing. "By the time you get back to me, I would have gathered all the information about him and I will provide you with the detailed information," he blurted out.

President Kagame, who has been praised overseas for social and economic progress, has embarked on clamping down on the opposition politicians and the media ahead of the August presidential elections. Mrs Ingabire Umuhoza Victoire is just but one of the many of his political opponents that are now incarcerated. She is under house arrest in Kigali, after the court confiscated her passport and denied her any movement outside the country. Even an American Attorney, Peter Erlinder who had come to represent Mrs Ingabire was arrested and remains in detention charged with genocide denial.

It remains a mystery why Rwandan security agents arrested Kalisa when he had been demobilized on 28 January 2010, according to the demobilization certificate, a copy of which we have seen. We have independently obtained a demobilisation certificate from the Rwanda Defense Ministry which suggests that Pte Kalisa was relieved of his duties in January this year.

The demobilisation certificate bears the signature of the country's Minister of Defense, General Marcel Gatsinzi. It is written in Kinyarwanda and says: "Ministeri y'ingabo irashimira No. AP98709 Pte Kalisa Innocent akazi yakoreye igihugu mugihe yari akiri umusirikare akaba asezerewe kamugaragaro le 28th January 2010. (The Ministry of Defense would like to thank, No. AP98709 Pte [Private] Kalisa Innocent for serving his country as a soldier. He has officially been relieved of his duties as from 28th January, 2010."

The progress Rwanda is making could pause a threat to the neighbours who regarded themselves as big brothers. The only way Kagame could survive is to ensure he makes those general part of his team by agreeing to disagree without too much commotions. Otherwise I smell trouble, big trouble for him.
Yasije yakatokea yale yale ya Kabila

Kagame gonna loose this battle, this is not the era of kings as he think. Sasa hivi wanaokimbia Rwanda si Wahutu tu even his fellow tsutsi. Kagame ametawaliwa na njaa ya madaraka.

Kagame gonna loose this battle, this is not the era of kings as he think. Sasa hivi wanaokimbia Rwanda si Wahutu tu even his fellow tsutsi. Kagame ametawaliwa na njaa ya madaraka.
na hiyo tamaa ndiyo inampeleka pabaya,alikua kajijengea sifa nzuri tu na umaarufu,lakini mwaka huu ndio kazidi kuharibu,sijui lakini maana kiburi chake chote ni kwa sababu US na UK wanamsupport.

Hivi walianza lini kukorofishana na Mseven? kwani jamaa alikuwa bossi wa military intelligence ya Uganda kabla hajatumwa na Mseven kwenda kufanja vita Rwanda. Inaonekana wamekorofishana sasa.

Hivi walianza lini kukorofishana na Mseven? kwani jamaa alikuwa bossi wa military intelligence ya Uganda kabla hajatumwa na Mseven kwenda kufanja vita Rwanda. Inaonekana wamekorofishana sasa.
kabila,kagame,museveni lao moja,museveni hapendi kuona mwanafunzi wake anakua ndio mwalimu ndio yanayotokea sasa.

Inelekea Kagame ni mtu wa ajabu sana; nilimwona siku moja hapa Washington DC akihojiwa na ma waandishi wa habari.

Alikuwa anatoa majibu kwa jeuri sana nikadhani labda ni kutokana na ulewa mdogo wa kiingereza kwa hiyo kuna maneno ya jeuri alikuwa anayatumia bila kujua maana yake halisi. Lakini kumbe kweli jamaa huyu ni jeuri kikwelikweli; anaweza kuwa Hitler mwingine huyu kwa kutaka kujipanulia madaraka.

Tunatakiwa tujiulize:-

1. Ilikuwaje Laurent Nkundabatware akakamatwa "kirahisi" hivi? Na je kesi yake inaelekea wapi? na "charges" ni zipi?
2. Je Interahamwe wamaishia wapi? Wamemalizwa kabisa - katikati ya Rwanda/DRC/Uganda?
3. Kwenye hii basin ya Lake Albert pana "mafuta" hapo (who owns what - and who is who)?
4. Kumbuka pia kuwa kama Rwanda na Uganda wakipatana EAC could be in jeorpady : both Kagame and Museveni "are power-hungry"

Mmmh lets wait and see where the 'bullets will head.
In his head,chest,or a missing point?
Coup,he is planting another coup in rwanda.

ANAYEUA KWA UPANGA HUULIWA KWA UPANGA.

Kagame analijua hilo na ndio mara nyingi huwa yuko kwenye hofu kuu same as MU7, na kwa hiyo hofu hawezi kumwamini mtu yoyote, na kwa sababu na yeye ni mwanajeshi na amekuwa kwenye system ya kuuana kwa muda mrefu, na kila anachofanya huwa yuko well informed iwe ni kwa uongo au kwa uhakika, lakini huwa yuko well informed.

Katika Afrika Mashariki sidhani kama kuna kiongozi anayelindwa au mwenye ulinzi mkali wa kumlinda Rais kama Kagame, hiyo sysytem yake ya usalama iko so complex kiasi kwamba hata hao watu wenyewewa usalama hawaaminiani, ni kitu ambacho hakiwezekani kwa gari la Kagame kuwekewa mafuta mabovu au kuchomoka tairi (sio pancha), Au Kagame kurushiwa mawe

Rwanda: Erlinder acknowledges suicide attempt in jail

The daughter of the Minnesotan being held in Rwanda said the admission might simply be a strategic move.

By JEREMY HERB and KEVIN DIAZ
Star Tribune staff writers
June 14, 2010

"I had a breakdown," Peter Erlinder told a Rwandan court on Monday, explaining his mental state when he couldn't talk with lawyers or family members.

WASHINGTON - St. Paul law Prof. Peter Erlinder told a court on Monday that he did try to kill himself in a Rwandan jail cell this month.

Erlinder, who appeared in Rwanda's high court appealing for his release on bail, said he has struggled with depression for 25 years and has felt suicidal before, according to audio recordings of the hearing obtained by the Star Tribune.

"Your honor, I lost all hope to live," said Erlinder, who appeared in court clad in a pink jail smock and shorts and sporting a freshly-buzzed head and beard. "When I was in the detention facility not knowing what was going to happen, not being able to talk to lawyers, family, not knowing if I was going to live or die, I had a breakdown," he said.

Erlinder's suicide admission on Monday was the latest in a series of odd occurrences stemming from his arrest in Rwanda last month on charges of denying the country's 1994 genocide.

A professor at William Mitchell College of Law, Erlinder remains in prison after being denied bail last week. His appeal will be decided on Thursday.

Erlinder's daughter, Arizona attorney Sarah Erlinder, said her father's statements may have been part of a strategy to put his psychological concerns before the court.

Erlinder's court statements allude to his mental health problems and raise the prospect that he could die in Rwandan custody -- a scenario that could have diplomatic repercussions.

"There's been a lot of guessing on our part about where his head is at and what his strategy is," Sarah Erlinder said.

At Monday's hearing, Erlinder also alluded to a connection with the Obama family, saying that he was once First Lady Michelle Obama's "garbage man." Erlinder's family says it appears to be a reference to his early days working at his father's truck hauling business on the South Side of Chicago.

source:hungryfortruth

mytake-i dnt think this guy is serious now,anakua kama kashachanganyikiwa au ni hao malawyer wake wanamfundisha kuongea ujinga huu,kweli mganga hajitibu.lakini si kosa lake wamarekani washamuuza.

Progress za Rwanda ni propaganda za wamareakani kataika kuhakikisha kuwa wanatawala the great lakes region. There is a lot of politics in it. Kagame ni dikteta kama ndugu yake Museveni. Ukiona watu wa kribu yake wanaanza kukimbia ujumbe wa mbali yake walisha umia vya kutosha. Natarajia kuwa mwisho mbaya wa Kagame unakuja kwa kuwa yeye aliwamaliza kina Habyeremana na dhambi hiyo ndo inamrudia yeye

Huwa nashangaa kila mara kusikia oh...rwanda ni namba moja ktk kila kitu EAC....hizi zote ni propaganda za wamarekani na waingereza kwa sababu wameiteka DRC kwa kuitumia rwanda na uganda. Binafsi nikiiangalia rwanda, burundi, uganda naona kama tuko sawa tu tena sisi tunawazidi kwa hali nzuri ya nchi.

Huwa nashangaa kila mara kusikia oh...rwanda ni namba moja ktk kila kitu EAC....hizi zote ni propaganda za wamarekani na waingereza kwa sababu wameiteka DRC kwa kuitumia rwanda na uganda. Binafsi nikiiangalia rwanda, burundi, uganda naona kama tuko sawa tu tena sisi tunawazidi kwa hali nzuri ya nchi.
kwa mambo mengi mengine wanajitahidi sana kwakweli,ila tu swala la ukabila jamaa bado sana maana utawala uliopo sasa hivi unarudia yaleyale makosa waliyofanya utawala wa habyarimana.

Back
Top Bottom