President Magufuli's dilemma: Infrastructure or human capital development, which is more important?

First of all i would like to heartily congratulate the 5th phase government for concerted efforts in improving infrastructure in the country. Infrastructure is indeed the backbone of any modern nations economy.

However, in as much as that is so, it is also a fact that infrastructure development should go hand in hand with human capital development, otherwise it will only lead to widening the gap between the haves and the have nots; people need to be in a position to use infrastructure to improve their economic standing otherwise the investment will be irrelevant.
So our beloved JPM finds himself in a dilemma; a chicken and egg scenario. Which should come first?

I argue that the President should prioritize human capital development (health and education) over infrastructure, while not forgetting the agricultural sector.

Further reading;
Tanzania: Magufuli Has Tied His Legacy to Infrastructures
Education is better......

Wewe panua akili yako usifikirie uchochoro miundo mbinu itawasaidia wananchi indirect kuweka miundombinu mizuri kwanza kutaatract wawekezaji na wawekezaji wakija serikali itapata kodi na huyo mwananchi mdogo unayemlilia atapata ajira pia kwa kubuy planes kutaatract watalii ambao wataingizia kipato Tanzania na kupatia ajira huyo mwananchi wa chini na mapato hayo yatakayopatikana yatajenga hizo zahanati na social development nyingine ujifunze kufikiria nje ya box ucreate namna ya kupata kipato sio kusubiria misaada.Big up our president
Aah the old thinking kwamba "if the rich get richer basi the poor pia watafaidi". If Bakhressa Group grows then it will create employment and all that. Sikatai....it might be a good strategy. Nchi za Russia, Korea na hata India zina makampuni yao yanayobeba uchumi wa nchi zao wataalam wanaziita 'national champions'
But is that the route we want to take as a country?

Brain drain would be a good thing if you ask me because it will lead to increased financial inflows. Nigeria earns billions from diaspora remittances ($35 billion in 2016 alone).
Anyways, the IMF and World Bank reckon that good infrastructure in a country with very low HCD only serves to widen the gap between the haves and the have-nots.
How did the Asian tigers rise to where they are now? China...Korea.....Singapore etc
I think they did both infrastructure and HCD but first priority by far was HCD.

In my humble opinion, I view that drain as an active cause for alarm.

Inflow from taxes? After being "double taxed" don't you think this person might elect to become a citizen of the country from which he draws a salary? Will you still have that inflow if he relocates his entire family? Or what if he fails to land that dream job he envisioned and becomes a dependant on someone abroad?

Furthermore, Picture this brain to be say a leading expert in his/ her field of work. Will guys have to go abroad to seek such services or they'll sit back and watch helplessly?

Finally, as our brains go out there to chase that paper, the bottom line is that they are building those economies through their hard work.

First of all i would like to heartily congratulate the 5th phase government for concerted efforts in improving infrastructure in the country. Infrastructure is indeed the backbone of any modern nations economy.

However, in as much as that is so, it is also a fact that infrastructure development should go hand in hand with human capital development, otherwise it will only lead to widening the gap between the haves and the have nots; people need to be in a position to use infrastructure to improve their economic standing otherwise the investment will be irrelevant.
So our beloved JPM finds himself in a dilemma; a chicken and egg scenario. Which should come first?

I argue that the President should prioritize human capital development (health and education) over infrastructure, while not forgetting the agricultural sector.

Further reading;
Tanzania: Magufuli Has Tied His Legacy to Infrastructures
You really dont know what you are talking about. May be you dont know what is human capital. Look at free education, this led to an imcrease of number of pupils in our primary schools. compare last year's and this year's budget for higher education students. Look health budget (compare). The first he did when he came to power he visited muhimbili and made sure the hospital had enough beds. And other hospitals followed. JPM is a president of its kind.

Picture this;
You build flyovers and the SGR and buy planes and more roads.
Unaamini kweli kwamba wananchi wa chini wataweza kutumia hiyo miundombinu kujiimarisha kiuchumi kama hawana elimu?
Kwani kabla ya SGR na ndege elimu ilikuwaje? Je ndege na reli zinakuja kuua elimu? Hata hivyo ndege na reli hazitazalisha zikaendelea kuhudumia hizo sekta zingine? Kununua ndege SGR na miundo mbinu mingine ni kuwekeza for future mapato yake yataendelea kusaidia sector zingine huku mtaji ukibaki pale pale.

It is true, both are very crucial.
Lakini swali ni, which should have first priority?
infrastructure in a country of illiterates obviously itakuwa na very little benefits if any, and most probably itafaidi only the creme of society.
I congratulate the President for his efforts, ila I pray aweke the same emphasis on education. God knows we need education reforms in this country!
Just be patient he is on track

Kwani kabla ya SGR na ndege elimu ilikuwaje? Je ndege na reli zinakuja kuua elimu? Hata hivyo ndege na reli hazitazalisha zikaendelea kuhudumia hizo sekta zingine? Kununua ndege SGR na miundo mbinu mingine ni kuwekeza for future mapato yake yataendelea kusaidia sector zingine huku mtaji ukibaki pale pale.
So what do you want? You want him to allocate 100% of his budget to education?

Oooh yes he has to balance and prioritize health and education and i think sometime he think he is still Minister for Infrustructure.
Kwa kununua ndege na vingine ndio ameua afya na elimu? Kabla ya ndege elimu na afya vilikuwaje? Unaongea kana kwamba ndege na miundo mbinu ni Bomu la nyuklia limelipua shule na hospitali zote nchini.

Nadhani huyu mdau sio kwamba analalamika. Katoa hoja na mtazamo wake. Hakuna ubaya juu ya hilo. Swala sio uzuri au ubaya wa Raisi Magufuli...braza usipanick. Ishu ni kwamba kipi atilie mkazo. Mm nadhani vyote viwili ni muhimu, viendelezwe kwa pamoja. Bila elimu miundombinu haitotumika vizuri, na bila miundombinu elimu nzuri haiwezi kupatikana.
Kwani elimu.imeachwa? Madawati yamejazwa shule zote za kata maabara zimejengwa na laboratory apparatus zimejazwa pia. Elimu bila malipo inaendelea afya pia imeguswa huku miundo mbinu inarekebishwa hakuna kilichoachwa dormant kila kitu kimeguswa at the same time.

Kwani elimu.imeachwa? Madawati yamejazwa shule zote za kata maabara zimejengwa na laboratory apparatus zimejazwa pia. Elimu bila malipo inaendelea afya pia imeguswa huku miundo mbinu inarekebishwa hakuna kilichoachwa dormant kila kitu kimeguswa at the same time.
Budget ya wanafunzi wa elimu ya juu pia imeomgezeka. Nahis hawa jamaa hawajui wanachotaka kusema

A
Aah the old thinking kwamba "if the rich get richer basi the poor pia watafaidi". If Bakhressa Group grows then it will create employment and all that. Sikatai....it might be a good strategy. Nchi za Russia, Korea na hata India zina makampuni yao yanayobeba uchumi wa nchi zao wataalam wanaziita 'national champions'
But is that the route we want to take as a country?
Cicero acha kabisa mtu akiwaambia anawajengea infrustructure as priority ni wa kuheshimu sana manake hiyo ndio inatriga human capital development yenyewe ngoja nikupe mifano mwingine ukiachana na hiyo ya employment na investment ili uweze kunielewa labda nitakua naongelea katika high level sana umesema education and health,kwa mfano serikali imekujengea shule nzuri sana akakuwekea maabara ya kisasa kabisa na walimu wazuri lakin hakufikiki nikiwa na maana huwezi kufika katika hiyo shule kutokana na hamna infrustructure ya barabara,madaraja n.k mvua zikinyesha kidogo watoto hawaendi shule inakua haileti maana eti ee,mfano mwingine ni health ok umejengewa hospitali za kisasa umewekewa madactari wa ukweli na vifaa vya kisasa halafu hakufikiki no barabara no madaraja ikinyesha mvua kidogo ndio usiseme kabisa in additional to that no umeme italeta maana kweli?

Good to hear that from you.

You're typical Swahiliman! Always complain on every single thing.

When there's no development you complain! When there's development you still find reasons to complain!

I know everyone in this nation had a reason to complain for the rampant corruption of our past government.

But now we have a President, a real President!

Instead of all those pity issues, let's come together and share thoughts and ideas to put an end to corruption and focus on prosperity.

Just for the records: Magufuli is the best President that Tanzania has ever had and he has a clear vision to his people.

This is the President who is the first to make changes and he will be the one who made Tanzania amongst the best countries in the world, if not Africa!

Let me put u into my record coz the best leadership is by developing people not making people beg for the mess within there home.
To me building economic for the citizens it's best idea a leader can do to his people otherwise even the colonist they had idea of building something.

Last I'm waiting to witness ur vision that Magufuri will make the best President.

A

Cicero acha kabisa mtu akiwaambia anawajengea infrustructure as priority ni wa kuheshimu sana manake hiyo ndio inatriga human capital development yenyewe ngoja nikupe mifano mwingine ukiachana na hiyo ya employment na investment ili uweze kunielewa labda nitakua naongelea katika high level sana umesema education and health,kwa mfano serikali imekujengea shule nzuri sana akakuwekea maabara ya kisasa kabisa na walimu wazuri lakin hakufikiki nikiwa na maana huwezi kufika katika hiyo shule kutokana na hamna infrustructure ya barabara,madaraja n.k mvua zikinyesha kidogo watoto hawaendi shule inakua haileti maana eti ee,mfano mwingine ni health ok umejengewa hospitali za kisasa umewekewa madactari wa ukweli na vifaa vya kisasa halafu hakufikiki no barabara no madaraja ikinyesha mvua kidogo ndio usiseme kabisa in additional to that no umeme italeta maana kweli?
I never said infrastructure is not important. In fact, watu wengi (Koffi Annan and Donald Kaberuka) wameshasema kwamba infrastructure is Africa's key growth constraint for now.
The thing with HCD is that it takes a long time to manifest itself. How do we ever expect to compete with the developed world when to this day we have kids born who end up grazing cows and hawking on the streets? We still have people (and many) who have never been to a classroom. Watanzania wenye university degrees eti ni asilimia tatu tu!!!
I once spoke to a Korean and this was his advice to Tanzania
1) we need a hero. That is a President who has a vision and is willing to do everything to attain it. He should make his entire country believe in his dream and work with him towards attaining it. They had their General Park and China had their General Mao. Is Magufuli our hero?
2) we need to put education first above all else. Korean parents sacrificed all they had to ensure their kids went to school. Their government did everything to ensure theirs was a working first class education system. Students were even sent abroad in thousands. In short hakuna maendeleo bila elimu. Question is, will our current education system bring us development? Do you not see that we need a major national dialogue that'll lead to a complete overhaul of our education system? Mambo ya kuona illiterate kids on the street yamepitwa na wakati aisee it's 2017 for crying out loud!

I never said infrastructure is not important. In fact, watu wengi (Koffi Annan and Donald Kaberuka) wameshasema kwamba infrastructure is Africa's key growth constraint for now.
The thing with HCD is that it takes a long time to manifest itself. How do we ever expect to compete with the developed world when to this day we have kids born who end up grazing cows and hawking on the streets? We still have people (and many) who have never been to a classroom. Watanzania wenye university degrees eti ni asilimia tatu tu!!!
I once spoke to a Korean and this was his advice to Tanzania
1) we need a hero. That is a President who has a vision and is willing to do everything to attain it. He should make his entire country believe in his dream and work with him towards attaining it. They had their General Park and China had their General Mao. Is Magufuli our hero?
2) we need to put education first above all else. Korean parents sacrificed all they had to ensure their kids went to school. Their government did everything to ensure theirs was a working first class education system. Students were even sent abroad in thousands. In short hakuna maendeleo bila elimu. Question is, will our current education system bring us development? Do you not see that we need a major national dialogue that'll lead to a complete overhaul of our education system? Mambo ya kuona illiterate kids on the street yamepitwa na wakati aisee it's 2017 for crying out loud!
mkuu sasa hivi unakuja vizuri kiukweli Rais wetu kapokea hii nchi ikiwa katika hali mbaya sana na tatizo kubwa sana lilikua ni corruption viongozi wengi ikiwemo wa upinzani walikua wanatetea tumbo zaidi sasa amekuja the Hero president Maguful and is transforming Tanzania to born to new country this is a very tough process na sisi ili kumsaidia tunatakiwa tuchange our mind attitude from negativity to positive and seriously we need to support him and not to pull him back,suala la infrustucure ni muhimu sana katika kufacilitate hiyo education na naomba unielewe rais wetu anapojenga infrastructure sio kwamba mambo ya afya na education yamesimama ni kuwa hivi vitu vinaenda kwa pamoja which is very impontant we have only 10years for maguful to accomplish mission ya kuiletea maendeleo Tanzania which is very short time sasa ukisema yeye ajenge shule tuu mambo mengine yasimame umekosea mkuu

I believe the emphasis he is putting on infrastructure is the right one. Unlike education or health sectors, if the govt does not improve or maintain good/better infrastructures, no one else will be able to do so.
But we see individuals, private and non govt organisations investing in education and healthcare sectors.

Woow ! Thanks fellow Tanzanians for worrying about tomorrow's Tanzania.

a) I think Hon. Magufuli's idea of improving infrastructure now is a Godsend. As years go by, construction costs keep on rising. So, his idea of putting into place infrastructure improvements now is a great idea. This will make our country more open to investment from outside the country because more areas of the country will be reachable.

b) Economic researchers say that our economy loses billions and billions of shillings every year due to the time lost in traffic jams in Dar es Salaam. Maybe after ten years, the cost of construction of the fly-overs to be built will have been compensated by the cost of the time that would have been lost. So, Hon Magufuli's idea of investing in infrastructure development now is a very sound idea.

c) Many of you are arguing that he should invest more in Human Capital Development. Is offering free education to primary and secondary school children not part of HCD? Or do you mean he should increase the number of varsity entrants? How many graduates are now roaming the streets because there are no jobs? Don't you think that improving infrastructure will enable more investors to reach the hinterland and make investments that will create employment possibilities for the now unemployed graduates?

d) You, as Tanzanians should not complain about whatever any president that comes in does. It is within his mandate to decide where to put his priorities. Instead of complaining, you should get together as a nation (you educated people to be the vanguard), and set out a priority list for our country. Unfortunately now you are so deeply embroiled in party favoritism that there is open hostility between the ruling party and the opposition. Whatever the opposition says (even if it is the best solution) is immediately rejected by the ruling party and vice versa. There is no way the elite of this country can sit and map out any strategy for the future. If we continue in this manner, we are only digging a deep grave for the country's development. We are already creating political enmity (which might even result into hatred) that may result into chaos and political turmoil. Then, the peace that we have known for so many years will evaporate.

e) I think we should support Magufuli. But there is one thing that I would request from him. I think he should make it a condition for investors to include local ordinary men and women in their investment programs. This can be done through setting up and agreement with investors that forces them to set aside funds for empowering young men and women. Such funds should then never be diverted by the government into its own use but should be left strictly for empowering young men and women economically.

I believe the emphasis he is putting on infrastructure is the right one. Unlike education or health sectors, if the govt does not improve or maintain good/better infrastructures, no one else will be able to do so.
But we see individuals, private and non govt organisations investing in education and healthcare sectors.
What about Public-Private-Partnerships (PPP) kwenye infrastructure? Sijui build, operate and transfer (BOT)

What about Public-Private-Partnerships (PPP) kwenye infrastructure? Sijui build, operate and transfer (BOT)
If there are private companies Tz with enough capital to invest in infrastructures, then be it. To be honest, Tz is very unstable and unpredictable when it comes to investing, no matter how small is the business, let alone big ones.

Back
Top Bottom