Nchi inaweza kuwa ya viwanda bila kuwa na chuma?

by PD Lawton 14 May 2020

“The role of the Iron and Steel Industry in national industrialization is pre-eminent. This is because steel remains the basic raw material for a host of manufacturing activities and hence the material backbone for national economic development in general.”

Hapa wanasema kuwa technology tranfer ni ngumu bila kuwa na steel.

There is no doubt that actualization of the Steel company will bring about technology transfer to the country. This will open a new vista for our technological take-off. It is expected that when the Steel Company becomes functional, foreign investors would be attracted to participate in the steel development. Indeed, nothing can expedite and actualize the much talked about technology transfer to developing countries especially Nigeria like the take-off of the Ajaokuta Steel Company Limited and other steel industries.”

Huyu professor anasema wazi kuwa hakuna nchi inaweza kuwa ya viwanda bila kuwa na uwezo wa kuzalisha chuma.

According to a pioneering Nigerian Economist, the late Dr. Pius Okigbo, in a lecture delivered at Institute Management and Technology, Enugu in 1980, warned that “No country can claim to be industrialized if it does not develop metalworking industries: it must have its own steelmaking as the basis of the ferrous metal industry. The steel fabricating industries multiply beyond count. The key lies in the establishment of iron and steel industry as the basic unit of any serious industrial development.”

Jibu la swali lako ni NDIO.

Dunia inakoelekea, vitu muhimu kuliko vyote ni elimu ya kweli, kwenye mambo ya msingi, hasa wa kisayansi, teknolojia na hisabati; pamoja na:

1. Artifical Intelligence
2. Machine Learning
3. Big Data / Data Science
4. Robotics

Mapinduzi ya Nne ya Viwanda. OP unazungumzia Tanzania ya viwanda vya Mapinduzi ya Pili ya Viwanda. Tujadili Mapinduzi ya Nne ya Viwanda.

Asante kwa hiyo article nzuri sana japo imeishia kunihuzunisha.
Tuanzie hapo juu. Sifahamu kama makaa hapo yapo chini sana lakini siyo sababu ya msingi. Tuna makaa ya mawe Kiwira na yapo mengine Ruvuma, kama unaenda Mbinga. Hawa wa mbinga huwa wanasafirisha kabisa hadi Arusha. Hatuwezi kushindwa kusafirisha makaa ya mawe kutoka Kiwira au Ruvuma. Ruvuma na Ludewa zimepakana tu. Morocco huwa wanasafirisha makaa ya mawe kwa meli Kutoka SA. Hatuwezi shindwa kusafirisha km 150-200.

Kuja kwenye Article yako. Hakuna sehemu wamesema kuwa mradi ulishindwa kwa sababu hauko sawa kiuchumi bali wamesema shida ni sera za fitina za IMF, WB, Rushwa,Urasimu nk. Amelaumu kama ymewahi soma A confession of economic hit man, article imeeleza kitu kama hicho. Nchi tajiri na haya mashirika hatako tayari kukukopesha ujenge steel plant au kiwanda cha matrekta ila wanakukopesha ujenge vitu kama daraja la kupita baharini salenda.

Congo inaweza kulisha bara lote hili chuma na umeme. WaSA walitaka kuwekeza kwenye mradi wa Inga wa 40,000MW. Mara ishirini ya stiegler's lakini wote tunajua shida ya DRC.

Nitaweka hapa chini jinsi watu walivyozungumzia umuhimu wa steel kutoka kwenye hiyo article.

Actually I am not against the extraction and the use of iron deposit for the development of the country. If we can we should try to use, but we should be prudent.

In your post, you complain why we can transport coals from the source to the consumer when the distance covered is about 150 to 200 km? I don't know why that can't be done. From my experience, I could say you need a robust railway network to transport the raw material in bulks. If you use trucks, the expense goes up. Therefore, there are a number of things to consider before you take full control of your resources. Transport system is one of them.

With regard to your comments about the article I posted and the situation in Nigeria, I think there were some systematic issues in play here. As you can see, it wasn't only Tanzania, but also Nigeria and the DRC. I bet, there were other African countries with iron deposits that took similar but mate with similar fate. It's a sad story but as an African, I don't want that to repeat. We can blame the World Bank, IMF and others. Nevertheless, if we have to improve in the ways we run our affairs.

Take for example Tanzania. It isn't coincidence that TAZARA, Mbeya Technical College (Now University), Kiwira coal mine, and Liganga mine were conceived in the same decade. I believe there was a national blue print that failed to materialized.

Dunia inakoelekea, vitu muhimu kuliko vyote ni elimu ya kweli, kwenye mambo ya msingi, hasa wa kisayansi, teknolojia na hisabati; pamoja na:

2. Machine Learning
4. Robotics

Mapinduzi ya Nne ya Viwanda. OP unazungumzia Tanzania ya viwanda vya Mapinduzi ya Pili ya Viwanda. Tujadili Mapinduzi ya Nne ya Viwanda.

Mkuu hili hata huko juu kidogo nimegusia. Hii AI, machine learning na robotics kazi yake kubwa ni kusaidia uzalishaji, hasahasa viwandani. Machine learning inasababisha AI iwezekane. AI inasabaisha robots zifanye kazi. Robots zinafanya kazi ya uzalishaji. AI yenyewe inaweza tumika kucontrol uzalishaji nk.

Ukija kwenye uzalishaji utakuta chuma ndiyo mhimili wa uzalishaji. Hapa kwenye hiyo link ya wikipedia wamesema hilo.

The Fourth Industrial Revolution (or Industry 4.0) is the ongoing automation of traditional manufacturing and industrial practices, using modern smart technology. Large-scale machine-to-machine communication (M2M) and the internet of things (IoT) are integrated for increased automation, improved communication and self-monitoring, and production of smart machines that can analyze and diagnose issues without the need for human intervention.[1]

Huyu professor anasema wazi kuwa hakuna nchi inaweza kuwa ya viwanda bila kuwa na uwezo wa kuzalisha chuma.

According to a pioneering Nigerian Economist, the late Dr. Pius Okigbo, in a lecture delivered at Institute Management and Technology, Enugu in 1980, warned that “No country can claim to be industrialized if it does not develop metalworking industries: it must have its own steelmaking as the basis of the ferrous metal industry. The steel fabricating industries multiply beyond count. The key lies in the establishment of iron and steel industry as the basic unit of any serious industrial development.”

Thanks for sharing with me the work of Dr. Pius Okigbo. I agree with what he says. However, the world doesn't wait for wrong doers to correct their mistakes. It moves on at rapid pace. If Nigerians, the DRC or Tanzania had successfully implemented their industrialization policies back in 70s or 80s, we would be speaking in different terms by now.

As a learned person, Dr. Pius Okigbo made his case based on the data or observations that were valid or prevalent back then. For example, in 1980 and before that, Tanzania imported more cars from United Kingdom than anywhere else. They were expensive and cost the country a lot of money to maintain. The same story could be found in other former British colonies. However, today we import cars from Japan, China, Korea, India etc and almost all popular British car brands have vanished or changed owners.

In 1980, the US was the largest car exporter in the world. If you had been in the United States in 70s or 80s, on the street more than 5 out of 10 were American built cars. Today, Japanese and South Korean cars dominate.

The point I want to make is Dr. Okigbo made a compelling argument back in 1980 based on the optics that existed back then. Back then if you are a manufacturer country, you dominate the economy. And if you are a poor country, you suffer. However, today, the situation has changed. Countries that dominated the manufacturing sectors in 80s have struggled to maintain their competitive advantage as new players with very low cost products have entered the scene. In this new configuration of the world economy, where do we fit in? I think this the question we should ask ourselves.

2. Machine Learning
4. Robotics

Nimeipenda hiyo lecture. Ni jambo ambalo halipo mbali.

Back
Top Bottom