Great Tanzanian companies?

Kang

JF-Expert Member
Jun 24, 2008
It depends what do you mean by a "Tanzanian company". is it a company owned by a Tanzanian(s). Is it a company whose shareholders are mostly Tanzanians? Or is it a company simply based in Tanzania. I ask this because if let's McDonald's opened a branch in Tanzania( I hear there is one but I'm not sure) can you call it a Tanzanian company? Or if a company has it's headquarters in Tanzania but is owned by foreigners can you call it a Tanzanian company? Once we agree upon what a Tanzanian company constitutes of then we can look at the companies which fit the criteria and start to make a judgement.

It depends what do you mean by a "Tanzanian company". is it a company owned by a Tanzanian(s). Is it a company whose shareholders are mostly Tanzanians? Or is it a company simply based in Tanzania. I ask this because if let's McDonald's opened a branch in Tanzania( I hear there is one but I'm not sure) can you call it a Tanzanian company? Or if a company has it's headquarters in Tanzania but is owned by foreigners can you call it a Tanzanian company? Once we agree upon what a Tanzanian company constitutes of then we can look at the companies which fit the criteria and start to make a judgement.

Lets say a company started in TZ, not a branch of a multinational.

Azam Group of Companies.......

Yes probably Tanzania's most successful company. A great place to work? I don't know, someone who knows please share.

Anymore? Especially looking for someone innovative or exiting. Not necessarily big.

that's a good topic for discussion, i suppose there are a number of things to consider before picking one or another company.

obviously, there are issues to do with ownership, good working environment for staff, profitability, tax responsibility, transparency and many more.

i believe there are very few companies owned by indigenous tanzanians, capable of meeting all those requirements. especially a great place to work?

we could be assuming company a is owned by businessan x from kenya, but in reality the owner could one of our politicians.

i'll name a few whose practices are questionable, SS Bakhresa Group of Companies (of course Bakhresa is not a bantu businessman, but at least he is a local breed).

Tanzania Breweries Ltd + Tanzania Cigarette Company ( i know you'll be saying they are owned by foreigners, but remember they were just privatised.)

If we ignore size, there are smaller companies which are doing very well. let's keep the debate rolling.

I dont care about Mbantu or indigenous, as long as its a Tanzanian in Tanzania.

Exim Bank,I think it can also be included in the list. As a the only local bank which has a branch in overseas (Comoros).

Also I quote from their website "Exim Bank is a locally established and privately owned commercial bank. Operations began in August 1997 as a result of the liberalization of the banking and financial sector in Tanzania. The Bank broke even within its first 5 months of operations, which is a rare occurrence in any banking sector"
I developed interests in this bank and I think it is not doing bad.

Add the following ....

1. Precision Airlines
Humble beginnings and now they operate in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. It is growing. Ok it still has to improve on timing but at least we know they will fly. The most successful private airlines in EAST AFRICA!

2. Serengeti Breweries
They are growing fast

3. IPP Media

Back
Top Bottom