Uses of ON and IN when referring date

Aqua

JF-Expert Member
Jul 23, 2012
Habari wana jamvi la lugha,kuna kitu napenda kushea kuhusu matumizi ya ON na In unapotaja tarehe.I may not be that much good in explaining but worry not because the concept will not be distorted.

use of ON when referring date
On is used when the specific date of a month is known.Examples

1.The meeting was conducted on July 6th 2005.
2.The money will be paid to you on August 22nd next year.

use of IN when referring date
In is used when the exact date of the month is not known or you know it but you are not interested in mentioning the exact date you just want to mention the month.

1.The board meeting was conducted in July 2005.(here the date is any date but within the month of July 2005)
2.The money will be paid to you in December 2012.(here the exact day of the month not known or it is known but no need to mention it).
Ni hayo tu kwa leo,one step at a time.
Let me know if you found this information useful to you.

Inabidi urudi shule kijana, hujui ulichoandika
Sometimes it is better to be quite that to say or write something because by so doing we give more information of who we really are.Time is a resource that once wasted can not be recovered,let me save my time and energy.The greater thinkers of this forum will judge you by what you have written.You are at the wrong place at the right time.

Naomba tusaodiane katika IN and AT tunapozungumzia miji mf. Is it right to say 'Am living at kariakoo street or is it right to say 'am living at Tabora region' which is which? Can you help me please.

Inabidi urudi shule kijana, hujui ulichoandika

542356_10151120484693469_1028782272_n.jpg
nyie ndo kama huyuuu

Naomba tusaodiane katika IN and AT tunapozungumzia miji mf. Is it right to say 'Am living at kariakoo street or is it right to say 'am living at Tabora region' which is which? Can you help me please.

Sahihi ni;
At Kariakoo
In Tabora

Sahihi ni;
At Kariakoo
In Tabora

Na inadanya kazi / hutumiwa kwa maelezo kama ya tarehe happ juu.
Kama unapataja kabisa mahali / eneo husika unatumia at na kama unataja eneo kubwa (mjumuisho) kama nchi, mkoa, wilaya... unatumia in.

New Noel, prepositions of place are ''in,'' ''on'' and ''at.'' As a general principle, use ''in'' for enclosed places such as walled places, towns, cities, or countries. Examples are ''The meeting will take place in the manager's office,'' ''He is expected in Kampala tomorrow'' and ''I have been living in Canada for three years.'' Use ''on'' for islands and streets whose names have been mentioned. Examples include ''Clashes broke out last month on Zanzibar island over land issues'' and ''Janeth Brooke has a boutique on 33Krempton Street.'' And finally use ''at'' for points in the sense of being mentioned generally. Examples of such constructions are ''We will meet each other at the bus stand'' and ''She is currently boozing at a neighbouring bar''
Based on the explanation, we can therefore see that both ''I am living at Tabora region'' and ''I am living at Kariakoo street'' are grammatically erroneous sentences, the correct versions of which should be ''I am living in Tabora region'' and ''I am living on Kariakoo street''
I hope I have somewhat helped you.

Za kwako Radhia Sweety? Unanipaga raha sana unavyochangia mada za kidhungu! Napata picha 'O' Level ulikung'uta 'A' au kitu karibu na hapo kwenye English.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Noel, prepositions of place are ''in,'' ''on'' and ''at.'' As a general principle, use ''in'' for closed places, towns, cities and countries. Examples are ''The meeting will take in the manager's office,'' ''He is expected in Kampala tomorrow'' and ''I have been living in Canada for three years.'' Use ''on'' for islands and streets whose names have been mentioned. Examples include ''Clashes broke out last month on Zanzibar island over land issues'' and ''Janeth Brooke has a boutique on 33Krempton Street.'' And finally use ''at'' for certain places in the sense of generalization. Examples of such constructions are ''We will meet each other at the bus stand'' and ''She is currently boozing at a neighbouring bar''
We can therefore see that both ''I am living at Tabora region'' and ''I am living at Kariakoo street'' are grammatically erroneous sentences. The correct versions of then would be ''I am living in Tabora region'' and ''I am living on Kariakoo street''
I hope I have somewhat helped you.

Hapo kwenye red hapajakaa vizuri,ingawa ukisema I live at kariakoo street(kuna mapungufu) compare sentensi hizi;
1.I live at Kariakoo street
2.I live at Kariakoo street house number KR29
You must feel some difference in meaning.Tujikumbushe kidogo