UFC 101: Anderson Silva Vs Forrest Griffin

This is a tough one to predict 1) because Anderson is moving up in weight (2) because Feorrest Griffin is no slouch. He's not scared to bang and he really does come in to fight and not to get a paycheck.

Forrest Griffin is a natural 205-pounder and walks around 220 when he's not gearing up for a fight. So there may a slight size advantage for him. On the other hand, Anderson is a true mixed martial artist. Good on the ground, his jiu-jitsu is better than average, he's awesome in the clinch, and he's very accurate with his punches. Man, I can't call this one. So whoever shows up with a better gameplan tonight may indeed emerge victorious.

B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian will be exciting too.

My instincts tell me Silva will beat Griffin. Hands down! Griffin does appear more powerful and very aggressive, but his fighting style is kinda rough, and unrefined. I'd say, Silva will win by virtue of mastery of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Power is nothing when it comes Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. UFC fighters twice as big and strong and all pumped up with steroids get beat-up all the time by what appears to be skinny-ass Brazilian dwarfs!

lol I confused Rich Franklin with Forest Griffin, anyway The Spider cant be touched!!

My instincts tell me Silva will beat Griffin. Hands down! Griffin does appear more powerful and very aggressive, but his fighting style is kinda rough, and unrefined. I'd say, Silva will win by virtue of mastery of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Power is nothing when it comes Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. UFC fighters twice as big and strong and all pumped up with steroids get beat-up all the time by what appears to be skinny-ass Brazilian dwarfs!

Power is nothing when you don't have skills ala Kimbo Slice. But power, with a decent skill set can neutralize whatever advantage your opponent has on you.

Nowdays they do test MMA fighers for banned substances. Just two weeks ago Josh Barnnet was forced to pull out of the fight against the Russian pound for pound king Fedor Emelianenko. Barnett tested positive for a banned substance. So those days are long and gone and now the sport of MMA is regulated (i.e. doping tests, weight classes, etc.) and it's catching on pretty fast with the mainstream.

Watch this fight and tell me if you see any skill in either guy....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNc_KwMjuAk[/ame]

Power is nothing when you don't have skills ala Kimbo Slice. But power, with a decent skill set can neutralize whatever advantage your opponent has on you.

Nowdays they do test MMA fighers for banned substances. Just two weeks ago Josh Barnnet was forced to pull out of the fight against the Russian pound for pound king Fedor Emelianenko. Barnett tested positive for a banned substance. So those days are long and gone and now the sport of MMA is regulated (i.e. doping tests, weight classes, etc.) and it's catching on pretty fast with the mainstream.

Watch this fight and tell me if you see any skill in either guy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNc_KwMjuAk

The fact is all of UFC fighters use a variety of (legal) drugs to gain and maintain a competitive edge, i.e., greater amounts of power, strength, endurance, lean muscle mass, and whatnot. I mean, these guys probably pop more beans than Gucci Mane ever bragged in his tired-ass lyrics! :)

The BJ Penn Vs Kenny Florian matchup will also be bloody fun to watch (literally speaking that is!) I reckon the vicious and dangerous Kenyy Florian, a Master the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu among other things, will give BJ Penn a good thumping!

The fact is all of UFC fighters use a variety of (legal) drugs to gain and maintain a competitive edge, i.e., greater amounts of power, strength, endurance, lean muscle mass, and whatnot. I mean, these guys probably pop more beans than Gucci Mane ever bragged in his tired-ass lyrics! :)

The BJ Penn Vs Kenny Florian matchup will also be bloody fun to watch (literally speaking that is!) I reckon the vicious and dangerous Kenyy Florian, a Master the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu among other things, will give BJ Penn a good thumping!

Yeah you're right! But the use of legal supplements such as amplified creatine monohydrate, protein shakes, etc. doesn't end with only UFC fighters. Boxers use them, NFL football players use them, soccer players use them, and even many olympic athletes from the west use them. It is the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs that is the issue. If there are going to be rules then everyone should have equal playing field.

Tonight's card is okay. It's not as stacked as UFC 100 was. I just can't wait for the UFC to sign Fedor Emelianenko so he can fight Brock Lesnar. Fedor is a beast and Lesnar has proved himself to be a force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division. That will be one hell of fight.

Yeah you're right! But the use of legal supplements such as amplified creatine monohydrate, protein shakes, etc. doesn't end with only UFC fighters. Boxers use them, NFL football players use them, soccer players use them, and even many olympic athletes from the west use them. It is the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs that is the issue. If there are going to be rules then everyone should have equal playing field.

Tonight's card is okay. It's not as stacked as UFC 100 was. I just can't wait for the UFC to sign Fedor Emelianenko so he can fight Brock Lesnar. Fedor is a beast and Lesnar has proved himself to be a force to be reckoned with in the heavyweight division. That will be one hell of fight.

I just read somewhere there's some kind of deal in the works between Fedor and the UFC (a one-fight deal even, who cares!). I'm no fan of Brock Lesnar at all, and I think fighters with a wrestling background like him don't make great UFC champions (and can be a real bore to watch like Matt Hughes).

I bet Fedor Emelianenko would beat the crap out of Brock Lesnar, if ever the two get to fight. Brock Lesnar may have an impressive physique: all raw muscle and power and extremely aggressive, but I think he's rather poor on technique.

I just read somewhere there's some kind of deal in the works between Fedor and the UFC (a one-fight deal even, who cares!). I'm no fan of Brock Lesnar at all, and I think fighters with a wrestling background like him don't make great UFC champions (and can be a real bore to watch like Matt Hughes).

I bet Fedor Emelianenko would beat the crap out of Brock Lesnar, if ever the two get to fight. Brock Lesnar may have an impressive physique: all raw muscle and power and extremely aggressive, but I think he's rather poor on technique.

I beg to differ. Fighters with a wrestling pedigree make great champions. Matt Hughes is just one out of many. Where can I even start...how about the legendary Randy Couture. One of the best UFC champions. Well versed in many aspects of the fight game. He can box, he can wrestle, his Muay Thai is decent. His takedowns are second to none. He can finish the fight in many different ways i.e. ground and pound, knockout, submissions and etc. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson also has a wrestling background and he is one of the most exciting guys to watch. Rashad Evans wrestled in college at Michigan State if I'm not mistaken. The French Canadian Georges St.Pierre has wrestling background. The Ice Man Chuck Lidell was a wrestler in college and that's why his sprawl (takedown defence) was so good. I mean, I can go on and on about fighters who have a wrestling background. The important thing is how you utilise and blend your skills.

As for Fedor vs. Brock, I agree with you in this sense. On paper, Fedor's resume is impressive. He has never lost a fight in his 30 fight career. That is super impressive for an MMA fighter. The only blemish on his record is a no contest. Therefore, he has more MMA experience than Brock who only has 4 professional fights. Having said that, in any fight especially in the heavyweight ranks, when you step into that Octagon, everything that's on your resume goes out of the window and it is mano a mano between you and your opponent. At any given moment the fight can go either way. I'm not sure if you watched the fight between Gabriel Gonzaga (the Brazilian heavyweight) and Shane Carwin. If you haven't I suggest you find and watch it and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I beg to differ. Fighters with a wrestling pedigree make great champions. Matt Hughes is just one out of many. Where can I even start...how about the legendary Randy Couture. One of the best UFC champions. Well versed in many aspects of the fight game. He can box, he can wrestle, his Muay Thai is decent. His takedowns are second to none. He can finish the fight in many different ways i.e. ground and pound, knockout, submissions and etc. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson also has a wrestling background and he is one of the most exciting guys to watch. Rashad Evans wrestled in college at Michigan State if I'm not mistaken. The French Canadian Georges St.Pierre has wrestling background. The Ice Man Chuck Lidell was a wrestler in college and that's why his sprawl (takedown defence) was so good. I mean, I can go on and on about fighters who have a wrestling background. The important thing is how you utilise and blend your skills.

As for Fedor vs. Brock, I agree with you in this sense. On paper, Fedor's resume is impressive. He has never lost a fight in his 30 fight career. That is super impressive for an MMA fighter. The only blemish on his record is a no contest. Therefore, he has more MMA experience than Brock who only has 4 professional fights. Having said that, in any fight especially in the heavyweight ranks, when you step into that Octagon, everything that's on your resume goes out of the window and it is mano a mano between you and your opponent. At any given moment the fight can go either way. I'm not sure if you watched the fight between Gabriel Gonzaga (the Brazilian heavyweight) and Shane Carwin. If you haven't I suggest you find and watch it and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

You'll agree with me (no doubt) that in the UFC, its most fun, exciting and blood-roiling to watch when fighters go toe-to toe maneuvering, punching and kicking until the wrestling moves start creeping in: the pin-downs, hold-downs and so-called take-downs etc (you know the drill!)

Nobody gives a fart that you're the UFC Ultimate Champion if you won the title fight by some sneaky God-knows-what, on the ground submission move, especially when from the first bell, you were on the defensive, and all what your game plan consisted of was a single-minded attempt to get your opponent's ass on the darn floor!

This appears to be the one strategy of fighters with a purely wrestling background of Mike Hughes' type. The best they can do is throw in a few punches and then some half-assed body kicks here and there at their opponents while all the time their main strategy really is, is to get opponents on the floor, wear them out on the ground until all the energy is drained out of their bodies, and then pin them down in some "submissive move".

That said, I happen to be of the opinion that the UFC is all about blood-flowing and bone-crunching punches and kicks. Wrestlers best belong to show-actors in the WWF!

Last edited:
Its all good. A virtually unscathed Anderson Silva took out Forrest Griffin in the first round!

Forrest Griffin camp reveal dislocated jaw as Anderson Silva contemplates Lyoto Machida

The mystery of Forrest Griffin's jog from the Octagon in Philadelphia immediately after being knocked out spectacularly by Anderson Silva at UFC 101 was clarified Sunday when the American's camp revealed he had suffered a dislocated jaw after being struck by the supremely-gifted Brazilian.
Griffin was roundly criticised in the hours following the fight, and for failing to show at the post-event news conference, but Griffin had been taken to the hospital for checks, unable to hear in one ear, and in order to get his jaw checked.

ufc_1459095c.jpg

The demolition of Griffin was staggering in both its simplicity, and enactment. Silva, the 185lb UFC champion, fighting Griffin at light-heavyweight, measured the American up for the first minute of the fight, and he now does with all his rivals.

Silva circled his prey and was hardly touched by Griffin during the three and a half minutes the contest lasted in the opening round of a fight scheduled for three periods.

Silva had landed first with a right hook in the second minute, then an upper cut, two straight left hands down the pipe, and had Griffin on the ground.
Clean, accurate strikes. Griffin threw and struck, but landed with little. After some ineffective ground and pound, Silva called Griffin to his feet.
Griffin fought back, but was clearly dazed and confused. Silva, his hands hung low, called Griffin in for a toe-to-toe war, and ended the contest with a countering left jab/left cross which put Griffin on his back, clearly hurt, and finished. Immediately afterwards, Griffin jogged from the arena with his management team.

The natural follow-up to this performance by Silva will be the potential match-up between 'The Spider' and Lyoto Machida, the incumbent UFC light-heavyweight champion. It is a fight the fans, and the sport, must see within the next year. No one has found a way - yet - of unlocking Machida.
Silva, across two weight divisions, may be just the man.

Hahahaha! What did I say? The Spider cant be touched!!!!!!!

Anderson Silva is the best pound-for-pound UFC fighter out there, no question about that (and I guess that pisses of a lot of leading White commentators in the sport). He's the Michael Jordan of UFC! A boxing match between Silva and Roy Jones Jr (at his prime) would have been great fun to watch!

Have you ever heard of Lyoto Machida (don't let the name fool you, he's Brazillian also)? Have you ever heard of the Machida puzzle? Check this out, this dude is 15-0. He has never lost a fight. Meanwhile, Anderson Silva is 25-4 so the blueprint to whupin him has already been laid out. Not to take anything away from him, but what a match up that would be for Machida and Silva to finally square off.

I think Machida stands a very good chance to beat Silva coz he's a better match up. But here is the thing, they are close buddies so I don't see that fight happening. But if it were to happen, I'd put my money on Machida.

Hardcore MMA fans are already calling for Joe Silva (UFC matchmaker) to make it happen. We'll see

Here's an article from Sherdog....

Sunday, August 09, 2009
Joe Hall
thumbnail_crop.php
PHILADELPHIA -- Anderson Silva was shaking his head no before the reporter finished his question. Silva was shaking his index finger, too.

The UFC middleweight champion didn't need his interpreter to tell him that his knockout win Saturday over Forrest Griffin would only crank up the calls for a dream matchup against Lyoto Machida. So as soon as Silva heard "Machida" -- the name of a friend, occasional training partner and UFC 205-pound titleholder -- at the UFC 101 postfight news conference, he began dismissing the possibility of ever fighting him.

Then UFC President Dana White intervened.

"These two are friends," White said, quick to remark on the matter before Silva. "It has nothing to do with friendship. It's about who's the best. It's about competing against somebody else, no different than a basketball game or a football game. If Anderson gets to that point where he starts taking out 205-pounders, I'll make that fight. I promise you, I'll make that fight."

White turned to Silva and Ed Soares, the Brazilian's manager and interpreter.

"Go ahead," he told them, half-jokingly. "What'd you want to say?"

Everyone laughed. Everyone waited.

Silva answered in Portuguese, which Soares translated: "Lyoto's my friend. He's my brother, and there's no way that fight will happen." There was a pause for laughter and to take account of the gamesmanship between fighter and promoter. "And also not just because (Lyoto's) my friend. (Lyoto would) be a big problem for me."

Silva was grinning when he said that last line. Still, it warranted some ohs and aws, which will have to do for now.

Henderson ‘Probably' Next at 185; Roy Jones Jr. Talk Lingers

A middleweight title defense against Dan Henderson is "probably" next for Silva, according to White.
Henderson is coming off a highlight-reel knockout over Michael Bisping at UFC 100, but judging from facial expressions, Silva didn't look too interested with the rematch when White mentioned it Saturday night. The Brazilian had joked and teased throughout the postfight news conference; when Henderson was mentioned, Silva wasn't grinning. He'd rather box Roy Jones Jr., who was reportedly in the audience at UFC 101.

White reiterated that he doesn't like the Jones Jr. idea.

"I respect boxing," he said, careful to express his respect for Jones Jr. as well. "I respect the sport of boxing. … I don't know what would happen if Anderson Silva went in to box Roy Jones Jr. I just don't see the point. This is MMA; this is what we do."

Silva, for his part, sat there smiling. Later he frowned and formed a timeout with his hands when more discussion of his next bout came up.

Here was everyone wanting to make his next match, and he wasn't but an hour or two removed from a masterful performance against a former UFC light heavyweight champion. The talk went on, and Silva dropped his fruitless timeout signal, his hands capable of stopping Forrest Griffin but not speculation on the future of a truly great fighter