Tension in Mombasa as Al-Shabaab suspect Rogo killed

Mauaji yake yamesababisha kuzuka kwa ghasia katika baadhi ya mitaa ya Mombasa huku mali ya thamani ya mamilioni ikichomwa. Gari la polisi lilichomwa huku mtu mmoja akiuawa katika ghasia hizo.

NTVKENYA youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
As leaders gathered in Nairobi to call for peace, violent mobs went on the rampage in the coastal city of Mombasa, attacking the police and setting fire on churches hours after the mysterious killing of terrorism suspect Aboud Rogo

Sheikh Rogo ni nani ?

Mhubiri wa kiislamu Aboud Rogo aliyekamatwa kwa madai ya kuwa na silaha nyumbani kwake huko kilifi ameachiliwa. Rogo aliachiliwa kwa dhamana ya shilingi milioni tano na wadhamini watatu wa kiasi kama hicho.Aboud Rogo alikamatwa januari 29 nyumbani kwake.

Dunia ya sasa sijui inaekea wapi ee mola tuepushe na yatakayoweza tokea

Mkuu, haya mambo yapo huku kwetu tu, waliotunga hizi dini na kutuletea wamenyamaza kimya wanatuona tunavyohangaika, dunia yetu imekuwa uwanja wa mapambano wa vitu ambavyo si vyetu na hatuna uhusiano navyo zaidi ya kuletewa. Tutakapogundua hilo, tutasisitiza zaidi ubinadamu na utu wetu kuliko haya ya sasa. Kweli, Mola 'wetu' atuepushe na haya .

Boss, wacha presha. The man was a leader of an organisation (AL-Hijrah) which has declared war on Kenyans because they happen not to share the same faith. They've been uttering threats for years and even now are all over the internet uttering threats against Kenya. The man was caught on tape just a few weeks ago celebrating the fact that a Christian church had been attacked and 17 christians massacred for christ sake...if these are the kind of people you sympathise with just because they happen to share your faith, then people like you are the probblem with your faith and with humanity in general. Surely you cannot declare war on a people and act on that declaration and then start crying and complaining when they fight back with extreme prejudice.

P.S. The KNHCR, which by your logic is a "christian" organisation was at the forefront of fighting against the renditions and defending the people subjected to it.

This is the 2nd riot by some muslims in Kenya in defence of a terrorist (let's drop the pretence of calling him a suspect, his own words and actions condemn him). more than 50 christians have been massacred in Kenya by Muslim extremists over the last few months and hundreds more over the last decade and a half...have you seen any riots or blanket condemnation of Muslims or attacks on their places of worship by christians as is happening now in Mombasa? What have christian churches and properties belonging to christians have to to with this shooting?
Nchi yoyote ambayo vyombo vyake vya usalama vimeingiliwa na kutawaliwa na Marekani vitu kama hivi ni kawaida kutokea.Na hii ni muendelezo tu wa vita ya kupiga uislamu na kuhodhi uchumi kote duniani.

Hii ndio gharama ya kuchimba mafuta ya Somalia huko mbeleni.Kila anayepinga uvamizi atatafutiwa vyeo ili aingizwe kwenye orodha ya mauwaji.Haingii akilini kwamba sheikh kama huyu na kutafutwa kwake kote na polisi na kuwa na kesi mahakamani za uongo ambazo zinamkosehsa raha ya maisha halafu awe na silaha nyumbani kwake eti za kuripua daraja la Nyali na .....Mbali na hivyo achukue cheo cha Alshhabaab.Hizi ripoti za US na UN kumhusu sheikh Aboud Rogo na wenzake bure kabisa!.zote zinafagilia ubeberu tu.

Watu kama wewe kshaka tayari mumeingizwa kwenye mtego wa kuona wananchi wenzenu ni adui kwa kuamini eti ndio walioua watu kwenye makanisa.

Amka wewe!..

Boss, wacha presha. The man was a leader of an organisation (AL-Hijrah) which has declared war on Kenyans because they happen not to share the same faith. They've been uttering threats for years and even now are all over the internet uttering threats against Kenya. The man was caught on tape just a few weeks ago celebrating the fact that a Christian church had been attacked and 17 christians massacred for christ sake...if these are the kind of people you sympathise with just because they happen to share your faith, then people like you are the probblem with your faith and with humanity in general. Surely you cannot declare war on a people and act on that declaration and then start crying and complaining when they fight back with extreme prejudice.

P.S. The KNHCR, which by your logic is a "christian" organisation was at the forefront of fighting against the renditions and defending the people subjected to it.

This is the 2nd riot by some muslims in Kenya in defence of a terrorist (let's drop the pretence of calling him a suspect, his own words and actions condemn him). more than 50 christians have been massacred in Kenya by Muslim extremists over the last few months and hundreds more over the last decade and a half...have you seen any riots or blanket condemnation of Muslims or attacks on their places of worship by christians as is happening now in Mombasa? What have christian churches and properties belonging to christians have to to with this shooting?

Boss, sio presha bali nilikua naeka mambo wazi. By the way I'm enjoying this sober conversation with you
despite the set of circumstances prevailing.

Kisha nowhere in my posting did I say KNHCR is a christian organization. Hio once again umeleta wewe.

Once again lemmie give you my perspective. I do not like the way Rogo went about his business more so if it involved
the death of innocent people...be they Christians or Muslims. At the same time I do not like the way the man
met his death...VIOLENCE BEGETS VIOLENCE. Violence and human blood do not augur well with me.

Meanwhile who labeled this guy a terrorist? Si wangemshika tu from the jump and link him to the Kikambala
bombings....kisha wamfunge and throw away the key.I believe Kenya has those anti-terrorism laws since
the attacks on the US embassy and the collateral damage on the Cooperative building on the side. What
became of those laws?

Why was this man not accorded Due Process? Hio bado hujajibu. Murdering people in broad daylight is not a civilized
way to go about this thing. It only emboldens this man's supporters coz we saw what they did in Majengo area and parts
of the CBD of Mombasa. Also acts like these make Rogo get sympathisers like me in this case. You just don't gun down
people arbitrarily simply because you dont like the way they think. The man was taking his wife to hosi and another
relative...both innocent people if u ask me yet they got bullets in them as we speak.

In regards to the burning of christian churches, I abhor those actions to the fullest but I guess that is the collateral
damage that comes from the act of shooting somebody dead in broad daylight. The KE police have all tools at their
disposal to arrest these kinda people, stall the judicial process and eventually lock them up. What didn't they simply
do that? Are those police units rogue doing things like they want without asking questions?

Trying to justify Rogo's murder will not wash!

MOMBASA BURNS AS RAILA AND KIBAKI LEAD PEACE TALKS.

Splash+px.jpg

GSU walking past a van set on fire in Majengo area in Mombasa after angry youths went in protest following the death of fiery Islamic preacher Sheikh Aboud Rogo in this picture taken on August 28, 2012. The preacher was gunned down by unknown gunmen along Mombasa-Malindi highway at Bamburi.

By NATION TEAM newsdesk@ke.nationmedia.com
Posted Monday, August 27 2012 at 23:30

In Summary

• Scores of irate youths in Sheikh Rogo's funeral procession looted Jesus Celebration Centre and Neno Evangelism Centre
  • Prime Minister Raila Odinga appealed to Mombasa residents to exercise restraint as the killing is investigated
  • Sheikh Rogo was buried at Manyimbo Muslim Cemetery in Tudor

Protesting youths smashed motor vehicles, looted shops and attacked four churches in Mombasa after gunmen killed Al-Shabaab suspect Sheikh Aboud Rogo on Monday.

The fiery madrassa teacher, named by the United Nations and the US as Al-Shabaab's chief agent in Kenya, was shot near Bamburi on the Mombasa-Malindi highway as he drove his wife to hospital.

His wife sustained gunshot wounds in the legs. Her father, Mr Abdhallah Ali, who was also in the 14-seater van, suffered slight injuries but the couple's eight-year-old daughter was unhurt.

Scores of irate youths in Sheikh Rogo's funeral procession looted Jesus Celebration Centre and Neno Evangelism Centre, vandalised Ziwani SDA and petrol-bombed Pentecostal Assemblies of God churches all in Buxton area.

Sheikh Rogo was buried at Manyimbo Muslim Cemetery in Tudor.

The protesting youths burnt tyres outside Msikiti Musa, Majengo Market and along the Buxton-Nyali road where they harassed motorists and pedestrians. During the mayhem one person was stoned to death.

Earlier at Msikiti Musa, where Sheikh Rogo regularly attended evening prayers, the youths burnt a government van that had slowed down at a road bump and raided a Salvation Army Church.

The fate of the driver and passengers could not be established. The mobs barricaded a section of King'orani road between the Kenya Railway Station and Mewa Hospital junction.

The violence erupted shortly after Sheikh Rogo's body was buried.

Sheikh Rogo, who ran a madrassa in Kilifi, was facing terror-related charges in court. He has been linked to Somalia's Al-Shabaab and Al-Qaeda groups by both Kenyan and US authorities.

Last month, the US accused him, together with Eritrean intelligence and military officials, of fund raising for Al-Shabaab. A UN report said he provided "financial, material, logistical or technical support to Al-Shabaab".

He was the "main ideological leader" of the Muslim Youth Centre in Pumwani, Nairobi, the report added.

Sheikh Rogo "used the extremist group as a pathway for radicalisation and recruitment of principally Kiswahili-speaking Africans for carrying out violent militant activity in Somalia," the UN said.

Kenya had also accused him of recruiting youths at the Coast to fight for the rebel group in Somalia where the Kenya Defence Forces have deployed as part of an African Union stabilisation force. (Read: Cleric ‘was plotting attacks' in Mombasa)

In the wake of the 2002 terror attack on the Israeli-owned Paradise Hotel in Kikambala, Sheikh Rogo was charged but acquitted for lack of evidence.

He died instantly after a vehicle that was trailing him suddenly pulled next to him near the Pirates Public Beach and its occupants sprayed his van with bullets.

The preacher's wife, Haniya Said Sagal, immediately pointed a finger at the police. A shaken Ms Sagal said police had been trailing her husband and were behind an attempt to abduct him in Nairobi two weeks ago where he was to attend court in an illegal weapons possession charge.

"Why do the police kill my husband in broad daylight?" she asked.

When police officers arrived at the scene, Ms Sagal refused their offer to take her to hospital. "I don't need your help. You have killed my husband, now leave us alone," she shouted.

Angry youths blocked the officers from collecting Sheikh Rogo's body. Instead, they took it to Manyimbo cemetery for burial. They stoned a man to death near the cemetery and damaged four parked vehicles before disappearing into the sprawling Sparki Village.

The Daily Nation's photographer Laban Walloga was rescued from a club-wielding youth who wanted all the pictures he had taken deleted.

The Majengo/King'orani/Sabasaba areas were no-go zones as armed youths blocked roads and engaged police in running battles. Public transport on Mombasa Island was grounded with matatu operators withdrawing their vehicles.

Prime Minister Raila Odinga appealed to Mombasa residents to exercise restraint as the killing is investigated.

"I appeal to our people not to use this sad act to inflict more pain and suffering on our country. Let us come together in calm instead and join hands in order to get to the bottom of the murder," said Mr Odinga.

The government, he said, was committed to bringing the culprits to book.

"It is even more shocking that Sheikh Rogo was killed while taking his sick wife to hospital," said Mr Odinga.

Muslim Human Rights Forum asked the government to set up an inquiry into the killing.

Reports by Mwakera Mwajefa, Bozo Jenje, Caleb Mutua, Winnie Atieno and Daniel Nyassy

Man stoned to death as rampant youths protest over Rogo

CONDOLENCES & APPEAL FOR CALM ON SHEIKH ROGO'S DEATH:

A few hours ago, we got this surprising news of the fatal shooting of Sheikh Aboud Rogo in Mombasa.

I am shocked and saddened by this horrific and tragic shooting that came in a day and a time the country is celebrating the second anniversary of the new constitution and hosting a conference on peace.

It is even more shocking that Sheikh Rogo was killed while taking his sick wife to hospital. I offer condolences to family and friends of Sheikh Rogo, and more so to his widow, Haniya Said Saval.

I am equally saddened by the violence and the destruction that has followed the shooting incident. I want to appeal to our people in Mombasa to exercise restraint and allow the government to get to the bottom of the matter.

We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice. I appeal to our people not to use this sad act to inflict more pain and suffering on our country. Let us come together in calm instead and join hands in order to get to the bottom of the murder.

RAILA A. ODINGA.

Hasira za hawa wakenya kutandikwa na Wasomali wanazitolea kwa Waislaam Wakenya.

Wakumbuke Uislaam hawauwezi, imeshindwa crusade itaweza renaissance?

CONDOLENCES & APPEAL FOR CALM ON SHEIKH ROGO'S DEATH:

A few hours ago, we got this surprising news of the fatal shooting of Sheikh Aboud Rogo in Mombasa.

I am shocked and saddened by this horrific and tragic shooting that came in a day and a time the country is celebrating the second anniversary of the new constitution and hosting a conference on peace.

It is even more shocking that Sheikh Rogo was killed while taking his sick wife to hospital. I offer condolences to family and friends of Sheikh Rogo, and more so to his widow, Haniya Said Saval.

I am equally saddened by the violence and the destruction that has followed the shooting incident. I want to appeal to our people in Mombasa to exercise restraint and allow the government to get to the bottom of the matter.

We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice. I appeal to our people not to use this sad act to inflict more pain and suffering on our country. Let us come together in calm instead and join hands in order to get to the bottom of the murder.

RAILA A. ODINGA.

Hana lolote !.Raila awache ujanja wake kwa waislamu.
Yeye naye ni mhusika.Si ni yeye aliyekwenda Israel kuomba msaada eti kupambana na Alshabaab.Sasa wameingia kazini yeye anasema nini?.Waislamu wakimpata naye apigwe mawe.

Kwa mtindo huu vyombo vya dola navyo vinageuka kuwa kikundi cha ugaidi.

Mi asa nashangaa! Kwani huyu mtu si mtuhumiwa? Amepelekwa mahakamani akashtakiwa akaachiwa kwa dhamana kama nlivosoma ya shilingi milioni 5, au sio? Kisha inaonekana ana free movement, hajifichi, sasa inakuaje auliwe na government Forces bure bure? Hawakumtendea haki kabisaaaa, hawa mabeberu wasijifanye wao ndo wanapenda peace!

Wao ndio wanaochafua dunia, hawa Alqaeda, alshabbab na vikundi vyengine vya Ugaidi vyote vimeanzishwa na hao USA wakitumia mitandao ya ya kijasusi! Yaani huwa anatafuta reason ya kuchafua sifa ya UISLAM! Mungu amekwisha tuahidi, uislam ndio utakaotawala dunia, sasa wacha wao wafanye mipango ya kuwaua waislam mpaka wachoke wajue hawatumalizi! A time will come where grenades, missiles, tanks, guns, fighter jets will not function, only the sword will be your weapon to use and a horse will b your transporter!

Karibuni tutaskia al shabbab wamechafua nairobi!

Jihad Kingpin auwawa kwa kupigwa risasi na majambazi wasiojulikana

Ni ajabu swala la uislamu unaingizwa ndani ya tukio hili na aliyejitolea kuua na kutekeleza maafa kwa jina la Allah anaruhusiwa na "koran-takatifu".

Jihad Kingpin auwawa kwa kupigwa risasi na majambazi wasiojulikana

Ni ajabu swala la uislamu unaingizwa ndani ya tukio hili na aliyejitolea kuua na kutekeleza maafa kwa jina la Allah anaruhusiwa na "koran-takatifu".

Mazee why is your reasoning a little bit skewed by this comment?...DUE PROCESS!!!...thats the debate we should
be engaging in.

They had him in court twice and they let him go. That's when they should have nailed him but as usual the
KE police have no clue how to carry out investigations and that's why they botched the Kikambala Bombings
that saw Sheikh Aboud walk. Then the other day they had gun charges on him and they cut him loose on bail.
My gut feeling is that they didn't have any evidence to hold him.

So what do they decide next? Let man walk and we gonna waylay him and shot his behind to oblivion.
Now where is the civility in that? That's archaic reasoning that reeks of colonial thinking if you ask me.
Even with a new constitution bado mnauawa watu kana kwamba these are the dark days of Kenyatta
and Moi. Hey, maybe they still are!

This is what Paul Muite says and I totally concur:

Sheikh Aboud Rogo was yesterday extra-judiciary executed in broad daylight,Oscar Kingara/Paul Oulu style. All fingers point to the Government. I do not support whatever wrong doing he and others in MRC might have been involved in.My concern is the message the GoK is sending to the people when it takes the short-cut of extra judicial execution as an acceptable instrument of governance.Actions always speak louder than words.

Look at the contradiction,'peace meetings are organized across the 47 Counties culminating in the national one at Bomas. They are organized by County Commissioners illegally in office in in defiance of court orders, at great expense to tax payers and with opaqueness in the spending of the money. Platitudes are then spoken by the leaders including the President and the Prime Minister concurrently with the extra judicial execution,the message,do as I do not what I say.

If the government adopts violence to resolve a problem,why shouldn't the citizens do the same?Is it any wonder that violence,self help style is so prevalent in Kenya today including the violence in Tana River,Garisa,Mandela,Isiolo and elsewhere so close to the elections?Frightening. Violence begets violence.Rogo should have been arrested and taken to court, not extra judicially executed!

Paul Muite.

Mazee why is your reasoning a little bit skewed by this comment?...DUE PROCESS!!!...thats the debate we should
be engaging in.

They had him in court twice and they let him go. That's when they should have nailed him but as usual the
KE police have no clue how to carry out investigations and that's why they botched the Kikambala Bombings
that saw Sheikh Aboud walk. Then the other day they had gun charges on him and they cut him loose on bail.
My gut feeling is that they didn't have any evidence to hold him.

So what do they decide next? Let man walk and we gonna waylay him and shot his behind to oblivion.

The man Rogo has openely on camera talked for AS activities and proclaiming "JIHAD"...It is imperative to note that a radical preacher sending a whole young generation to waste through cult-like activities cannot be condoned. Preaching and propagating JIHAD in a country that has not known any religious intelerance and sectarian mobilization is uncalled for. And it is also imperative that as kenya heads to county governance structure that such forms of secterian mobilzation be dealt with.

.............However, my above statement does not delegitmize due process of law. It is best we let investigations report give the true picture on the ground.

This is what Paul Muite says and I totally concur:

Sheikh Aboud Rogo was yesterday extra-judiciary executed in broad daylight,Oscar Kingara/Paul Oulu style. All fingers point to the Government. I do not support whatever wrong doing he and others in MRC might have been involved in.My concern is the message the GoK is sending to the people when it takes the short-cut of extra judicial execution as an acceptable instrument of governance.Actions always speak louder than words.

Look at the contradiction,'peace meetings are organized across the 47 Counties culminating in the national one at Bomas. They are organized by County Commissioners illegally in office in in defiance of court orders, at great expense to tax payers and with opaqueness in the spending of the money. Platitudes are then spoken by the leaders including the President and the Prime Minister concurrently with the extra judicial execution,the message,do as I do not what I say.

If the government adopts violence to resolve a problem,why shouldn't the citizens do the same?Is it any wonder that violence,self help style is so prevalent in Kenya today including the violence in Tana River,Garisa,Mandela,Isiolo and elsewhere so close to the elections?Frightening. Violence begets violence.Rogo should have been arrested and taken to court, not extra judicially executed!

Paul Muite.
Ab-Titchaz,

Huyu Muite ni wale tunaoita opportunists wanaoendesha vyombo vya dola/NGO...That is how they operate...Some NGO corporate values unajua tu hawana...How fast have you ruled out kwamba hawa walikuwa enemies wa rogo? pengine hata walitofautiana na kina wenzake waislamu kuhusu fedha za msaada. you never know, do not be quick to judge.

Back
Top Bottom