Should polygamy be legal?

the majority of tanzanian muslims are shafi'i, with significant hanafi, ja'fari and isma'ili communities and small ibadi, maliki, hanbali and ahmadi communities. The majority of zanzibar's population is muslim, with christianity and indigenous religions predominant in tanganyika.

marriage age in tanzania: Under marriage act 1971 minimum age is 18 for males and 15 for females; courts may permit underage marriage of parties who have reached 14 years of age if specific circumstances make marriage appear desirable; penal code provides that persons of "african or asiatic descent" may marry or permit marriage of girl under 12 years of age in accordance with their custom or religion if marriage is not intended to be consummated before she attains 12 years

marriage guardianship in tanzanaia: Marriage act 1971 provides that valid marriage requires free consent of marrying parties; guardian's consent not required for parties who have attained 18 years

marriage registration: Obligatory; non-registration punishable by fine although does not render marriage void; provision for licensing of religious functionaries as marriage registrars

polygamy in tanzania: Permitted with consent of first wife; upon registration, parties are to declare whether marriage is polygamous, potentially polygamous, or monogamous, and marriage may be 'converted' to polygamous or monogamous by joint declaration obedience/maintenance: Maintenance of wife or wives is husband's duty; becomes wife's duty in cases where husband is incapacitated and unable to earn a living; courts may order maintenance under limited circumstances where husband refuses or neglects to maintain wife.

constitution adopted 25th april 1977, with major revisions in 1984 and insertion of bill of rights in 1988. No official state religion.

thank you now you know.

Lets continue then,
Whay is your general advice?

TUIGE MFANO KUTOKA KWA YAKOBO NABII WA MUNGU NA NDIE ISRAEL MWENYEWE...

.TUANGALIE YAKOBO ALIKUWA NA WAKE WANGAPI?
Jacob had 2 wives, Rachel and Leah (who were sisters, and first-cousins of Jacob), and 2 concubines, Bilhah and Zilpah, an apparently common and accepted practice of the day. Rachel and Leah did not object to the other two women because it was their idea to have more children with them (Genesis 30:3,9).

Ndipo Raheli akamwambia, ‘‘Hapa yupo Bilha, mtumishi wangu wa kike. Kutana naye kimwili ili aweze kunizalia watoto na kwa kupitia yeye mimi pia niweze kuwa na uzao.’’
4Hivyo Raheli akampa Yakobo Bilha awe mke wake. Yakobo akakutana naye kimwili, 5akapata mimba naye akamzalia mwana. 6Ndipo Raheli akasema, "Mungu amenipatia haki yangu, amesikiliza maombi yangu na kunipa mwana.’’ Kwa sababu hiyo akamwita Dania
7Bilha mtumishi wa kike wa Raheli akapata mimba tena akamzalia Yakobo mwana wa pili. 8Ndipo Raheli akasema, ‘‘Nilikuwa na mashindano makubwa na ndugu yangu, nami nimeshinda.’’ Kwa hiyo akamwita Naftalib
9Lea alipoona kuwa amekoma kuzaa watoto, alimchukua mtumishi wake wa kike Zilpa naye akampa Yakobo awe mke wake

KAMA MUNGU ALIMRUHUSU HUYU BASI HAINA ATHARI YOYOTE...NI KUWA MKWELI KWENYE NDOA TU.

[SIZE=+8]Polygamy

[/SIZE]

• I am amazed that I feel the need to address this issue, but I have been quoted on a website promoting polygamy, so I feel I should share an e-mail I sent someone who claimed he was led of God to take a second wife.
    You sound very sincere and I commend you for that. Guidance is a very difficult thing and I doubt if there is a man of God who has achieved anything significant who hasn't at some time slipped up in this area. This has often been very devastating for the person because they had felt so sure. Often they even felt God had let them down until eventually they discover they had been too hasty and hadn't sought sufficient confirmation. But God readily picks up anyone who is willing to admit he was wrong.
    Scripture says we must not allow our liberty to be the cause of someone else's fall (Romans 14:20-21; 1 Corinthians 1-2, 7-13). The fact is that all men are at some time tempted to think of adultery and the thought of polygamy can be very appealing and if there is a difference between polygamy and adultery, few men, especially in our society would be able to differentiate. Men hear of polygamists in other cultures and of non-Christians doing things, but to hear of a Christian polygamist presents a whole new range of possibilities for Satan to play havoc in a man's imagination and lead him to at least sin in his heart. Temptation must come, said Jesus, but woe to him who causes it, it would be better for him to have a millstone put around his neck and he be thrown into the sea.
    We are told over and over in Scripture to uphold the law in one's country, unless that the law forbids us to act righteously or evangelize (Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13). Everyone knows polygamy is illegal in the US and many other countries. Any attempt to get around the legal problem is against the spirit of the law and Scripture tells us to do that which is right not just in the eyes of God but in the eyes of man (Romans 12:17: 2 Corinthians 8:21). Even non-Christians tend to see polygamy as immoral. I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 5:1-2, "It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, impurity of a sort that does not even occur among the heathen . . . you ought to mourn until the person who has done this is removed from your fellowship." Moreover Scripture commands us to obey our spiritual leaders (Hebrews 13:17). I doubt that you did this. You might even have rebelled against having anyone over you.
    Finally, every instance of polygamy recorded in Scripture that I can think of, details family disruption and disharmony. For instance, the intense feud leading to rape and murder in King David's family all centered around a son's lust for his half-sister. Had she been his full sister, such a thing would be most unlikely. We find Hannah being severely provoked by her ‘rival,' her husband's second wife (1 Sam 1:6-7), we find bitterness between Sarah and Hagar, and between Jacob's wives and concubines. Scripture seems to go out of its way to paint polygamy as most unwise. Why, then, would the God of the Bible lead someone to do something that he himself has painted as unwise?
    It has been suggested that polygamy is acceptable because the New Testament does not specifically repeal the Old Testament tolerance of polygamy and because Martin Luther, when forced into a tricky political corner, drew attention to this fact. To use this logic one would have to conclude that we should execute heretics because this was not only allowed but commanded in the Old Testament, was not specifically repealed in the New Testament, was advocated by the reformers, and too bad if it's illegal.
    Pharisees challenged Jesus:
    • "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?" (Matthew 19:7)
    Skyrocketing divorce rates over recent years is a sad commentary on the worldliness of modern Western Christians. Don't let this harden you, however, to Jesus' response, which I believe is as relevant to polygamy as it is to divorce.
    • Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." (Matthew 19:8-9)
    Christ emphasized that there is a significant difference between what God permitted under the Old Covenant, due to people's hardness, and the way that people should act. Jesus had just explained the "way" it was "from the beginning." He quoted Genesis saying that two (not three or more) shall become one flesh (Matthew 19:5,6).
    Sadly, in the light of all of the above, I am forced to conclude that the chance that your being led to take a second wife was a product of the lust of the flesh or the wiles of Satan, is enormous. I recognize that facing such a possibility would be extremely painful for you. Everything within you will want to rebel against this. It would take a very brave and strong man to face up to it. If you are willing to do so, I shall do my utmost to try to support you.
    <H2>Additional Thoughts</H2>
    In most cases, marriage vows included something along the lines of "forsaking all others," and even if not expressly stated, it was no doubt in the husband's heart when he made those vows before God. Polygamy would therefore be a breaking of those vows.
    Despite Solomon's behavior, &#8211; and its tragic results &#8211; Deuteronomy 17:17 gives this command to every kings, "He must not take many wives." And we all know the New Testament's instructions to leaders, be they overseers, deacons or elders:

• 1 Timothy 3:2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach
      1 Timothy 3:12 A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well.
      Titus 1:6 An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. (Emphasis mine)
    Leaders must set an example to the congregation. And what example should the congregation be following? Monogamy.

By net-burst.net/note2.htm

So far according Law of marriage act 0f 1971, polygamy is leagal. just have a look at the marriage certificates, there are two options, either polygamy or......single....

So far according Law of marriage act 0f 1971, polygamy is leagal. just have a look at the marriage certificates, there are two options, either polygamy or......single....

KIKAHE,
What is your comment on the following quotation?
''I don't think it's ok. I think it's wrong to expect a woman to accept that a man can have multiple wives. I think for polygamy to be ok, it'd have to be ok for a woman to have multiple husbands, the same way it's ok for men to have multiple wives. ''Mrs.Ho711

Polygamy is legal only to Islams and few people who likes to practice such things and who are more sexually controled than mentally. Tanzania's laws are cold and/or unfactioning with regards to religious matters.

Islam permits a man to have up to four wives at a time, provided the husband treats all of them equally, inter-alia, a muslem must submit to islamic sharia laws, to wit. Tanzania has islams.

Moreover, the Personal Status law arbitrates against a wife, as it gives a man the absolute right to polygamy without provisions mandating that he inform his wife of his plans. “The law doesn’t restrict polygamy according to Sharia rule, which stipulates non-harassment, equality and justice among wives, inter-alia, the same law discriminates against divorced women to the same degree when it comes to alimony and child custody.
Hakuna kumbukumbu yoyote kuwa Nabii ‘Iisa au Yesu (as) alipinga uke wenza au kuoa mke zaidi ya mmoja. Ikiwa alifanya hivyo, ingemaanisha kuwa ameshutumu amali hiyo ya Manabii kabla yake.

Ipo mifano kadhaa na ndoa kwa wake wengi kati ya Manabii iliyonukuliwa katika Taurati. Nabii Ibraahim (as) alikuwa na wake wawili, kulingana na Mwanzo 16: 3: “Kisha, Sarai akampa Abramu Hagari, mtumwa wake wa kike, Mmisri, awe mke wake. Haya yalitokea baada ya Abramu kukaa katika nchi ya Kanaani kwa muda wa miaka kumi”.

Hivyo hivyo ndivyo alivyokuwa Nabii Daawuud (as) kulingana na Samueli 27: 3, “Daudi na watu wake pamoja na jamaa yake wakaishi na Akishi huko Gathi. Daudi alikuwa na wake wawili: Ahinoamu kutoka Yezreeli na Abigaili mjane wa Nabali kutoka mji wa Karmeli”.

Katika 1 Wafalme 11: 3, Sulaymaan (as) ilisemekana alikuwa, “Solomoni akawa na wake mia saba, wote mabinti wa kifalme; na masuria mia tatu”.

Mtoto wa Sulaymaan, Rehoboamu, pia alikuwa na wake wengi, kulingana na 2 Mambo ya Nyakati 11: 21, “Rehoboamu alioa wake kumi na wanane na masuria sitini. Miomgoni mwa wake zake wote na masuria wake, alimpenda Maaka binti Absalomu zaidi”.

Kwa hakika, hata Taurati iliweka sharti makhsusi kuhusiana na ugawaji wa mirathi katika hali ya kuwa na mke zaidi ya mmoja. Katika Kumbukumbu la Sheria 21: 15 – 17, sheria inasema:

“Ikiwa mwanamume fulani ana wake wawili naye anampenda mmoja kuliko mwingine. nao wanawake hao wamemzalia watoto wa kiume, na mtoto wa kwanza kuzaliwa ni wa yule mama asiyempenda, ikafika siku ya kuwapa hao wanawe urithi, huyo baba haruhusiwi kamwe kumtendea mtoto wa yule mke anayempenda kama kwamba ni mtoto mzaliwa wa kwanza, badala ya yule mtoto wa mama asiyependwa ambaye ndiye aliye mzaliwa wa kwanza. Lazima amkubali yule mzaliwa wa kwanza, mtoto wa yule mwanamke asiyependwa, na kumpa haki yake: sehemu ya mali zake mara mbili”.

Kikwazo tu cha uke wenza ni kupigwa marufuku kumchukua dada ya mke kama mke mwendani mpinzani katika Walawi 18: 18, “Kamwe usimwoe dada wa mke wakati mke wako yungali hai; hiyo itasababisha ushindani”.

Talmud inashauri idadi ya wake isipite wanne kama ilivyotekelezwa na Nabii Ya‘quub (as).

Uislamu ulitia kikomo cha wake wanne katika ndoa ya uke wenza kwa wakati mmoja. Iliweka sharti la msingi la kukimu na kudumisha uadilifu katika ndoa aina hiyo. Katika Suratun Nisaa’ (4):3, Allah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'ala) Anasema:

“Basi oeni mnaowapenda katika wanawake, wawili au watatu au wane. Na mkiogopa kuwa hamwezi kufanya uadilifu, basi mmoja tu”.
An-Nisaa 4:3

Therefore, according to the Sharia, despite declarations of the equality of the sexes before God, women are considered inferior to men, and have fewer rights and responsibilities. A woman counts as half a man in giving evidence in a court of law, Mahakama ya kadhi, or in matters of inheritance. Her position is less advantageous than a man’s with regard to marriage and divorce. A husband has the moral and religious right and duty to beat his wives for disobedience or for perceived misconduct. A woman does not have the right to choose her husband, or her place of residence, to travel freely or have freedom in her choice of clothing. Women have little or no autonomy and are deemed to need the protection of their fathers, husbands or other male relatives throughout their lives. Any conduct that undermines the idea of male supremacy will fall foul of the Sharia.

Wherefore, the question 'SHOULD POLYGAMY BE LEGAL' is defacto, because polygamy is already legal to Tanzanians with the faith and beliefs of muhammadic.

This is according to my understanding of ethical laws.

Please be informed accordingly,

Max Shimba, A Bondservant of Jesus Christ.

Huo uongo umeupata wapi wa kuelezea kuwa Mwanamke kuwa ana haki chache dhidi ya mwanaume?

Wakati mwingine jaribu kuondoa chuki ndani ya nafsi yako unapo jadili mada mbali mbali humu JF.

Kulingana na Padre Eugene Hillman, Hakuna sehemu yoyote katika Agano Jipya ambapo kuna amri ya dhahiri kuwa ndoa iwe kwa mke mmoja tu au amri yoyote ya wazi inayoharamisha kuoa mke zaidi ya mmoja”. Alizidi kuhimiza hakika kuwa Kanisa la Roma lilipiga marufuku kwa wake wengi ili kwenda sambamba na utamaduni wa Kiyunani – Kirumi ambayo iliagiza kuwa mke mmoja tu wa kisheria ndiye anaruhusiwa ilhali walikubali na kusamehe usuria, uhawara na ukahaba.

Yes I'm sure polygamy is practiced in tanzania by the evil sex loving 'islams' under their evil devilish sharia law. All people who are non-muslims in tanzania are morally superior and do not engage in extra marital affairs and sexual innuendos because they have clean souls etc. I regret the observation that your stupidity knows no limits...
Chuki zako kaka zitakuangamiza mwenyewe, hao walio amua kuoa mke zaidi ya mmoja ni wao na iman yao... wanaweza kuwa ni Waislam au wakristo kule vijijini, na wanaweza kuwa ni Watanzania wali amua kufuata ndoa za kimila.

Wewe mwenyewe binafsi kwenye ukoo na kabila lenu uko nyuma hakuna walio oa au kuolewa kwenye ndoa za mke zaidi ya mmoja... mbona tuna ingiza chuki zisizo na mwanzo wa mwisho...!?

Ukichukua statistic toka Idadi ya watanzania

Kuna asilimia 54.1% ya watu wenye umri wa kuanzia miaka 15-64

Kati ya hao wanaume wapo 10,956,133 na wanawake wapo 11,255,868.

Sasa kwa idadi hii kila mwanaume mwenye uwezo wa kuoa tujaalie akiamua kuoa mke mmoja hii ina maana milion kumi toa milioni kumi na moja idadi itakayo baki ni 299,735, kumbuka kuwa idadi hii haijumlishi idadi ya wale tunao waita taifa la kesho au wale walio juu ya umri wa miaka 65years and over: 2.9% male 513,959 & female 663,233 (2009 est.)

Sasa unataka wanawake hawa wasio na wanaume wawe masister (nuns au chakula cha makasisi?).

For me personally polygamy is against my religion and I stand by those teachings. I believe it is unfair for a man to be allowed to have multiple wives but a woman be subjected to only one husband. It feels like a form of discrimination. I also believe that if you have true love you can only love one person and I don't see how a person can be in love with more than one person at the same time.

BUT

Personal feelings aside, I also believe that my religious morals and values is not the same as everyone else. In Tanzania there are three types of marriages 1.Religious 2.Government and 3.Traditional. This means you marry into whatever is suited to your beliefs. If someone wants to have more than one wife so be it as long as the women in the marriage have willingly and whole heartedly accepted the situation. As long as there is no defiance of human rights let the others do as they please. After all there are people with one wife but still practice extra marital affairs which to me is worse than having more than one wife.

Last edited:

Wewe mwenyewe binafsi kwenye ukoo na kabila lenu uko nyuma hakuna walio oa au kuolewa kwenye ndoa za mke zaidi ya mmoja...QUOTE]

X-PASTER,
What is your comment on this ''It's wrong to expect a woman to accept that a man can have multiple wives. I think for polygamy to be ok, it'd have to be ok for a woman to have multiple husbands, the same way it's ok for men to have multiple wives''

Tuwe wakweli.Kuna jamii ya watu fulani hao hawana wake wala waume,lakini mbona ukimwi bado unawanyemelea kila kukicha?

Wewe mwenyewe binafsi kwenye ukoo na kabila lenu uko nyuma hakuna walio oa au kuolewa kwenye ndoa za mke zaidi ya mmoja...

X-PASTER,
What is your comment on this ''It's wrong to expect a woman to accept that a man can have multiple wives. I think for polygamy to be ok, it'd have to be ok for a woman to have multiple husbands, the same way it's ok for men to have multiple wives''
Haya ni maoni yako binafsi toka kichwani kwako, hayahusiani hata kidogo na imani ya dini yako.

Hakuna kumbukumbu yoyote kuwa Nabii ‘Iisa au Yesu (as) alipinga uke wenza au kuoa mke zaidi ya mmoja. Ikiwa alifanya hivyo, ingemaanisha kuwa ameshutumu amali hiyo ya Manabii kabla yake.

Ipo mifano kadhaa na ndoa kwa wake wengi kati ya Manabii iliyonukuliwa katika Taurati. Nabii Ibraahim (as) alikuwa na wake wawili, kulingana na Mwanzo 16: 3: “Kisha, Sarai akampa Abramu Hagari, mtumwa wake wa kike, Mmisri, awe mke wake. Haya yalitokea baada ya Abramu kukaa katika nchi ya Kanaani kwa muda wa miaka kumi”.

Hivyo hivyo ndivyo alivyokuwa Nabii Daawuud (as) kulingana na Samueli 27: 3, “Daudi na watu wake pamoja na jamaa yake wakaishi na Akishi huko Gathi. Daudi alikuwa na wake wawili: Ahinoamu kutoka Yezreeli na Abigaili mjane wa Nabali kutoka mji wa Karmeli”.

Katika 1 Wafalme 11: 3, Sulaymaan (as) ilisemekana alikuwa, “Solomoni akawa na wake mia saba, wote mabinti wa kifalme; na masuria mia tatu”.

Mtoto wa Sulaymaan, Rehoboamu, pia alikuwa na wake wengi, kulingana na 2 Mambo ya Nyakati 11: 21, “Rehoboamu alioa wake kumi na wanane na masuria sitini. Miomgoni mwa wake zake wote na masuria wake, alimpenda Maaka binti Absalomu zaidi”.

Kwa hakika, hata Taurati iliweka sharti makhsusi kuhusiana na ugawaji wa mirathi katika hali ya kuwa na mke zaidi ya mmoja. Katika Kumbukumbu la Sheria 21: 15 – 17, sheria inasema:

“Ikiwa mwanamume fulani ana wake wawili naye anampenda mmoja kuliko mwingine. nao wanawake hao wamemzalia watoto wa kiume, na mtoto wa kwanza kuzaliwa ni wa yule mama asiyempenda, ikafika siku ya kuwapa hao wanawe urithi, huyo baba haruhusiwi kamwe kumtendea mtoto wa yule mke anayempenda kama kwamba ni mtoto mzaliwa wa kwanza, badala ya yule mtoto wa mama asiyependwa ambaye ndiye aliye mzaliwa wa kwanza. Lazima amkubali yule mzaliwa wa kwanza, mtoto wa yule mwanamke asiyependwa, na kumpa haki yake: sehemu ya mali zake mara mbili”.

Kikwazo tu cha uke wenza ni kupigwa marufuku kumchukua dada ya mke kama mke mwendani mpinzani katika Walawi 18: 18, “Kamwe usimwoe dada wa mke wakati mke wako yungali hai; hiyo itasababisha ushindani”.

Talmud inashauri idadi ya wake isipite wanne kama ilivyotekelezwa na Nabii Ya‘quub (as).

Uislamu ulitia kikomo cha wake wanne katika ndoa ya uke wenza kwa wakati mmoja. Iliweka sharti la msingi la kukimu na kudumisha uadilifu katika ndoa aina hiyo. Katika Suratun Nisaa’ (4):3, Allah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'ala) Anasema:

“Basi oeni mnaowapenda katika wanawake, wawili au watatu au wane. Na mkiogopa kuwa hamwezi kufanya uadilifu, basi mmoja tu”.
An-Nisaa 4:3

Huo uongo umeupata wapi wa kuelezea kuwa Mwanamke kuwa ana haki chache dhidi ya mwanaume?

Wakati mwingine jaribu kuondoa chuki ndani ya nafsi yako unapo jadili mada mbali mbali humu JF.

Kulingana na Padre Eugene Hillman, Hakuna sehemu yoyote katika Agano Jipya ambapo kuna amri ya dhahiri kuwa ndoa iwe kwa mke mmoja tu au amri yoyote ya wazi inayoharamisha kuoa mke zaidi ya mmoja”. Alizidi kuhimiza hakika kuwa Kanisa la Roma lilipiga marufuku kwa wake wengi ili kwenda sambamba na utamaduni wa Kiyunani – Kirumi ambayo iliagiza kuwa mke mmoja tu wa kisheria ndiye anaruhusiwa ilhali walikubali na kusamehe usuria, uhawara na ukahaba.

Soma Koran yenye SHAKA

KIKAHE,
What is your comment on the following quotation?
''I don't think it's ok. I think it's wrong to expect a woman to accept that a man can have multiple wives. I think for polygamy to be ok, it'd have to be ok for a woman to have multiple husbands, the same way it's ok for men to have multiple wives. ''Mrs.Ho711
Sheria kama unaiona hayendani na imani yako (kwa uoni wako), huna haja ya kuivalia njuga.

Wenye kuhusika na maswala hayo ya mitala (polygamy) hawalalamiki... Inashangaza wanao lalamika niwale wanao dhani kuwa wana haki ya kuwasemea hata wale ambao hawna imani na imani zao.

Sijakuelewa Max,
Korani yenye SHAKA ni nini?

Koran yenye shaka ni kitabu cha Marehemu Mwamadi Mtume wa Waislam. Kitabu hiki ni cha kugushi na si kutoka kwa allah kama anavyo dai bali kiliandikwa na akina Abdalah rafiki zake.

Back
Top Bottom