SoC01 Proposed Skills Development Incubation Program Within Universities In Tanzania

Stories of Change - 2021 Competition

G-empire-FP

Feb 24, 2017
Can anyone imagine how many students graduate Universities and go back homes with full of books and hand-outs in their heads but with no any idea neither skills of how to fight the poverty in their societies, and set up businesses?

WE DON’T NEED CAPITAL TO THINK
It is good to know that no one needs capital in order to think or develop an idea. Thinking does not require capital. The issue is what are we thinking? Are the things that we are thinking impactful? Most of us waste a lot of time having impact-less thinking. Mostly, thinking has no measure. But the impact of what we think can be measured.

Idea is used as the foundation and source of creation of things. Everything that exists was once an idea in someone’s mind, the building, aircraft, train and everything that is seen today was used to be an idea in someone’s mind. Even this writing was once an idea in my mind, before creation, God had an idea to create the heavens and the universe. And He didn’t have experience to do that- for He is all mighty. That’s why He always gave us ideas on who to get things (including money). Therefore as a nation we have to think of how to stop generating graduates full of handbooks and books they creamed to answer examinations and start generating graduates full of skills and potentials to change the world. We must as a nation come together and think of how to make our Universities a place to generates and cultivate all the potentials carried by students instead of teaching student for passing examinations.

Therefore the proposed skills development incubation can come up with program which will be used to cultivate and nurture creativity and entreneurship amongst student in the universities. Furthermore the incubator will act as a grantor in order for the approved innovations, discoveries, ideas and businesses from the incubator to obtain fund to further them and enable their start up. This way we will have solved the challenges facing many graduates of obtaining loans and funds from financial institutions due to lack of collaterals bu also the incubator will cultivate potentials in our Universities and will be a sure way to tackle the unemployment crisis in our country. This will stop the singing of I have no capital amongst our graduates and generate new generation of innovators and entrepreneurs Tanzania.

Proposed Vision:
Nurturing innovation through a collaborative graduate community of entrepreneurs

Proposed Mission:
To facilitate and catalyze innovation, entrepreneurial skills development, and business success that fosters sustainable economic growth.

Target Population:
The program is aimed at entrepreneurs amongst faculty, Students and alumni of colleges or local youth with sound technical knowledge with intent to set up businesses within Tanzania.

Key Processes and Key Practices

STAGE 1:

1.1 Attraction and Prospection
1.2 Selection
1.3 Development of the skills
1.4 Graduation and Graduates Relations
1.5 Basic Management

Stage 2:
2.1 Expansion Limits
2.2 Strategic Management
2.3 Incubator Evaluation

Stage 3:
3.1 Institutional Relationship
3.2 Network Development
3.3 Social and Environmental Responsibility

Stage 4:
4.1 International Operations

STAGE 1
  • Attraction and Prospection: It involves maintaining a documented ongoing process for community sensitization regarding entrepreneurship and for the prospection of new ventures. There are three key practices involved in this process: Attraction, Prospection and Potential Entrepreneurs Qualification.
  • Selection: It involves maintaining a documented ongoing process for the selection of graduates to join the incubator. This process should include a well-defined methodology, selection criteria and trained professionals to evaluate the graduates willingness and readiness to join the program, taking into account at least the following criterion: entrepreneurship, value proposition, capital, market and management. This key process consists of three key practices: Proposals Reception, Evaluation and Contracting.
  • Development of the Companies: It involves maintaining a documented ongoing process for the generation and growth of companies, including the provision of value added services (training, consultancy, participation in events) that promote the fast development of the companies. This process also includes the need for the incubator to assist in planning and continuous monitoring of the companies. There are three key practices involved in this process: Planning, Value Addition and Monitoring.
  • Graduation and Graduates Relations: The incubator should keep a systematic process to assist companies in the “status change” of “Incubated Company” to “Graduate Company”, in addition to structuring actions for the continuity of the incubator interaction with the graduate company. This key process consists of two key practices: Graduation and Graduates Relations.
  • Basic Management: It involves the maintenance of a minimum structure in management, physical and technological terms, enabling the systematic generation of successful companies. This includes the existence of practices that operationalize the institutional model, operational services, financial management, communication and marketing, physical and technological, providing support to the companies. This key process consists of five key practices: Institutional Model, Financial Management and Sustainability, Physical and Technological Infrastructure, Operational Services, Communication and Marketing.
STAGE 2
  • Expansion of Limits: It involves systematic and formal processes to expand the target audience and/or the services provided by the incubator to improve its results. To do this, the process contains two key practices: Services to Organizations and Ideation environments.
  • Strategic Management: The incubator should have a systematic and documented process for planning and for strategic management, which would structure and track at least its identity, goals, actions and targets in defined scenarios. To do this, this process contains two key practices: Strategic Planning and Strategic Management.
  • Incubator Evaluation: It involves systematic and formal processes to evaluate the results and impacts of the incubator. To do this, this process contains three key practices: Operational Evaluation, Quality Evaluation and Impact Evaluation.
STAGE 3
  • Institutional Relationship: It involves systematic and documented processes on the positioning of the incubator as a proactive agent in a network of organizations to propose public policies aimed at promoting creativity, entrepreneurship and innovation. To do this, this process contains three key practices: Interaction with the Surrounding Areas and Participation in Public Policy Definition.
  • Network Development: It involves systematic and documented processes to expand the limits of its operations, through a network of organizations that have common interests, sharing expertise and resources. This key process includes three key practices: Mentors Network, Supply and Demand Management and Virtual Incubation.
  • Social and Environmental Responsibility: It involves the establishment of a policy aimed at the adoption of good social and environmental management practices. This key process includes two key practices: Environmental Management and Social Responsibility.
STAGE 4
International Operations: It involves systematic and documented processes of international operations that enable the expansion of resources (financial, technological and human), knowledge and markets for the incubator and for companies. To do this, this process contains two key practices: Internationalization of Incubator and Internationalization of companies

Unaweza kuandika lugha ya kiswahili iwafikie watu wengi zaidi?
Hakika litatafsiriwa, kwa sasa nipe kura yako.. kwa wakati sahihi litatafsiriwa kaka.

Pia soma na

Maonesho ya vyakula vya asili fursa mpya ya Utalii Tanzania

Ulipigia na kura pia

I like every suggestion you have put,but stage number three can be easily applied with no additional costs. There should be interactions between community and students/university. One way is, community gives University students a challenge/s that community face and let the students explore possible solutions and give feedback back to the community. In this way students learn theories but can apply to real-world problems rather than just cramming. Second those who create syllabus should encourage independent learning not providing hard to learn material that promote cramming. And lastly, syllabus makers should not rely on western countries syllabus, they have their own challenges and resources, we have to create one which is our environment-specific. i like the topic you have my vote mkuu....

I like every suggestion you have put,but stage number three can be easily applied with no additional costs. There should be interactions between community and students/university. One way is, community gives University students a challenge/s that community face and let the students explore possible solutions and give feedback back to the community. In this way students learn theories but can apply to real-world problems rather than just cramming. Second those who create syllabus should encourage independent learning not providing hard to learn material that promote cramming. And lastly, syllabus makers should not rely on western countries syllabus, they have their own challenges and resources, we have to create one which is our environment-specific. i like the topic you have my vote mkuu....
Your observation is well welcomed.

Thank you for your endorsement. 🙏

Your observation is well welcomed.

Thank you for your endorsement.
I welcome you to read my other article

Maonesho ya vyakula vya asili fursa mpya ya uUtalii Tanzania

Our education system must be the one that liberates us from slavery mentality and nurture creativity. Our universities must be a place of hope and innovations, our government has a great responsibility to redeem the time and resources used in enabling students throughout university by ensuring they graduates with something to do and show to the community apart from just certificates. We must act now before its too late to handle well the unemployment crisis..💪

Our education system must be the one that liberates us from slavery mentality and nurture creativity. Our universities must be a place of hope and innovations, our government has a great responsibility to redeem the time and resources used in enabling students throughout university by ensuring they graduates with something to do and show to the community apart from just certificates. We must act now before its too late to handle well the unemployment crisis..💪

I know this topic is about what can be done or is missing in our education system in terms of quality but I think too government is losing a lot of resources educating A LOT of people who in the end are not productive. So as we think of it qualitatively we should also think how numbers/quantity is also a factor. Having10 graduates with world class certificate is better than100 graduates with below standard qualifications. In my opinion University should not be for everyone. We should have few universities and more technical colleges. Those who want to go to university there should be one important criterion; that is individual project on what they want to do to Tanzania I.e how Tanzania is going to be benefited with their education? Those few with best ideas should be given access to education where they can transform their ideas,the rest can go home LOL,,,,, seriously if we have few graduates who are intelligent, creative and have got knowledge/skills gained from their studies is enough lol,some dumb ass like becky should be in college that's it lol

Thank you for reading and voting for this incredible idea which can change our education system and quality for better. If you have not voted, please do so now, support this idea and be part of bringing changes in the quality of education provided in our universities.

Back
Top Bottom