SoC03 Promoting Accountability and Good Governance in the Gold Mining Sector in Geita, Tanzania

Stories of Change - 2023 Competition

Jackyesa

Aug 15, 2012
Abstract:

Accountability and good governance are crucial factors in the gold mining sector in Geita, Tanzania. This sector significantly contributes to the country's economy while providing employment opportunities to a large number of people. However, in order to drive positive change and foster sustainable development in this sector, it is essential to enhance accountability and good governance practices.​

Introduction:

The gold mining sector in Geita plays a pivotal role in Tanzania's economy. Geita Gold Mine, operated by AngloGold Ashanti, is one of the largest gold mines in Africa, producing over 500,000 ounces of gold annually. However, the sector faces several challenges, including inadequate accountability mechanisms and governance practices.​

1. Lack of Transparency and Accountability:
    Transparency and accountability are essential for sustainable development in the gold mining sector. Unfortunately, in the past, the lack of transparency in revenue flows from the sector raised concerns about potential revenue losses for the government. However, in recent years, efforts have been made to address this issue. The Tanzania Extractive Industries (Transparency and Accountability) Act was enacted in 2015 to enhance transparency and accountability in the extractive industries, including gold mining. This legislation requires companies to publicly disclose their payments to the government, promoting transparency and enabling citizens to monitor revenue flows.

2. Stakeholder Engagement:
    In promoting accountability and good governance, it is crucial to involve all stakeholders in decision-making processes. The Geita community and local civil society organizations have been advocating for their involvement in mining-related decisions. One successful example is the establishment of the Geita Gold Mining Environmental Management Committee (EMC). This committee comprises representatives from the mine, local government, and community. It serves as a platform for dialogue, information sharing, and joint decision-making on environmental and social issues. The EMC has played a significant role in addressing community concerns and ensuring the mine's compliance with environmental regulations.

3. Environmental Management and Restoration:
    Gold mining operations have significant environmental impacts, including deforestation, soil erosion, and water pollution. To promote accountability, mining companies are expected to adhere to environmental management standards and restore degraded land. The Geita Gold Mine has implemented various environmental management initiatives. For instance, they have established a progressive rehabilitation program that focuses on restoring the land affected by mining activities. Additionally, the mine has implemented measures to reduce water pollution by investing in wastewater treatment plants and sediment control systems.

4. Community Development and Benefits Sharing:
    Accountability in the gold mining sector also entails ensuring that local communities benefit from mining activities. Mining companies are expected to contribute to community development through infrastructure development, job creation, and social investment programs. The Geita Gold Mine has implemented several community development projects, such as constructing schools, health centers, and water supply systems. These initiatives have had a positive impact on the local communities, improving access to education, healthcare, and clean water.
Conclusion:

Enhancing accountability and good governance in the gold mining sector in Geita, Tanzania, is essential for sustainable development and the well-being of all stakeholders involved. Efforts to promote transparency, stakeholder engagement, environmental management, and community benefits sharing have been made in recent years. The enactment of legislation, such as the Tanzania Extractive Industries (Transparency and Accountability) Act, has improved transparency in revenue flows. The establishment of the Environmental Management Committee and the implementation of environmental restoration initiatives by the Geita Gold Mine demonstrate progress in addressing community concerns and mitigating environmental impacts.

To further promote accountability and good governance, continuous monitoring and evaluation of mining operations, robust enforcement of regulations, and capacity-building initiatives are crucial. The government, mining companies, and civil society organizations must collaborate to ensure that the sector operates responsibly and delivers sustainable benefits to the local communities. By prioritizing accountability and good governance, the gold mining sector in Geita can contribute to Tanzania's economic growth while safeguarding the environment and improving the well-being of its citizens.