Maisha bora kwa kila Mtanzania: A reflection from Maternity ward

Tatizo la mlundikano wa watu hospitalini linatokana na kuwa na huduma mbovu, lakini zaidi kuwa na imani potofu kwamba wakunga wajadi si salama katika uzalishaji watoto. Imani potofu kabisa, na watoto wataendelea kufa na kutaabika kwa kuwa tunapenda usasa sana na kushidwa kuelewa mchango wa wakunga katika uzazi, na hivyo kukimbilia kila kitu kwenye mahosipitali yetu ya kisasa ambayo hayatoshelezi mahitaji, na gharama ambazo wananchi wengine hawawezi kuzifikia.

Lazima tufike mahali tukubali wakunga wetu wa jadi wanaweza kufanya kazi ya uzalishaji na kupunguza tatizo la mlundikano mahosipitalini. Ila kwa kuwa tumezoe kujidharau, tunaona wakunga wajadi ni hatarishi katika afya ya mtoto, mtizamo ambao sio sahihi. Watoto wengi tu bado wanazalishwa na wakunga vijijini - na wako salama, wengine wanakufa njiani kwa mama kutembea kufuata hospitali. Sio kwamba hakuna matatizo kwenye ukunga wa jadi, matatizo yapo na changamoto ni nyingi, muono wangu ni kwamba, iwapo serikali itaamuu kushirikiana na wakunga, tatizo linaweza kupunguzwa kwani wakunga watafika serikali izikoweza. Mama anaweza kujifungua nyumbani, nabadaye kwenda hospitali kuangaliwa maendeleo yake. Ama kukawa na kiliniki za kuangalia maendeleo zikishirikiana na serikali. (nadhani Kikwete alishagusia hilo-ila sidhani kama limefanyiwa kazi in 2008)

Naposoma habari kama ya Veronika Joseph, wakinamama majasiri, lakini napoendelea kusoma tafsiri ya mwandishi, nabaki nashangaa iwapo tutakaa tupate ufumbuzi wa matatizo yetu!

DEVELOPMENT-TANZANIA: More Women Dying Preventable Deaths
By Sarah McGregor

DAR ES SALAAM, Jul 19 (IPS) - "I began walking when I felt contractions. I delivered on the roadside five kilometres from the hospital," says the 22-year-old Veronica Joseph.

It is a wonder that her newborn, only a few hours old, is fast asleep in his snug cloth cocoon. He has had a dramatic life up to now. "My mother helped. We put the placenta in a plastic bag and arrived at the hospital. But I feel fine," Joseph insists, speaking Tanzania's national language Kiswahili through a translator.

Looking unruffled, she sits on the edge of the bed she shares with two other women and their infants in the crammed one-room maternity ward of the Dodoma Regional Hospital in Tanzania's capital city. Only a flimsy curtain separates dozens of resting new moms from the moans of those delivering in the adjoining labour room.

Joseph intended to give birth to her still-unnamed son surrounded by healthcare providers who are trained to handle emergencies on the spot. "It is safer here than at my home." The decision is not so clear-cut for many other expectant women in the East African nation.

Tanzania is ranked the fifth most dangerous place in sub-Saharan Africa for a woman to give birth, behind Sierra Leone, Niger, Malawi and Angola, according World Bank development indicators.

For every 100,000 babies born alive in 2000, Tanzania saw an average of 1,500 women die during pregnancy, child labour or shortly after delivery, World Bank statistics show. That year, almost 21,000 women died after problems arose while they were pregnant.

The situation had worsened from a decade earlier, when the maternal mortality rate was 770 per 100,000 live births and about 8,700 women had died due to complications during pregnancy.

A 2005 government survey, gleaned from a door-to-door campaign, put the maternal mortality rate at 578 deaths out of every 100,000 live births, up from 529 in 1996.

This discrepancy in numbers is said to be due to varying methods of collecting and measuring the information.

The figures do, however, show an unacceptably high prevalence of maternal deaths and concern is mounting that the country is moving further away from the United Nations Millennium Development Goal aimed at cutting maternal mortality by three-quarters between 1990 and 2015.

Under-resourced hospitals, a dearth of clinics in remote areas, poor transport and poverty are blamed for the preventable deaths of would-be mothers in Tanzania.

In many cases, rural dwellers follow their communities' beliefs, seeking a traditional healer to deliver babies in a ‘‘natural’’ way using herbs and age-old methods.

Qualified doctors or nurses took part in less than half of births (46 percent) in Tanzania between 2000 and 2004, according to World Bank statistics.

"There is not enough education about safe births," Elizabeth Massawe, a nurse at the Dodoma hospital, tells IPS. "Women think if they come here we will operate and they are scared. They would prefer to do it naturally at home." Activists say an increase in public health spending may help reduce the death rate of pregnant women.

An acute shortage of trained health care professionals has seriously compromised the level of hospital care with only about one doctor for every 20,000 patients, according to government statistics.

"We need a bigger health care budget. There is an inadequate amount of skilled health care professionals and too few clinics in rural areas," says Rose Mlay, Tanzania's coordinator of the White Ribbon Alliance. The alliance represents 50 non-governmental organisations focused on women's health.

"Women can be a hundred kilometres from a hospital and it costs too much to drive or take a taxi."

Mlay said community leaders should be taught home-based care skills to recognize warning signs of an unsafe pregnancy and birth complications.

Another factor further complicating the issue is gender inequality. In Tanzania, males often rule household decision-making which means women cede control over their own health decisions, Ananilea Nkya, of the Dar es Salaam-based Tanzania Media Women's Association said.

"Culturally women have a low status in this country. A woman is not supposed to make decisions if the husband is not home," Nkya points out.

Tanzanian President Jakaya Kikwete has said tackling the country’s high maternal mortality rate is a top priority - on a par with efforts to fight the seven percent AIDS infection rate and to reduce unemployment, which affects more than one in ten people.

Health and Social Welfare Minister David Mwakyusa announced in June this year that the government is aiming for a goal of halving the national maternal mortality rate by 2010, to 265 deaths out of every 100,000 live births.

More efficient patient care, better hospital equipment and improved coordination between clinics and ambulance drivers were promised to reach the target.

"We are hopeful because there now seems to be some sort of political commitment," says Mlay of the White Ribbon Alliance. "Women should not be dying so needlessly." (END/2007)

President Kikwete on Maternity!

REMARKS OF H.E. JAKAYA MRISHO KIKWETE, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA, DURING A SPECIAL EVENT ON COMMITMENT TO PROGRESS FOR MOTHERS, NEWBORNS AND CHILDREN,

SEPTEMBER 25™ 2008
Friends,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

On behalf of the government of United Republic of Tanzania, I am very honored to welcome you to this event. I am happy to see here a lot of advocates and leaders in the momentous efforts to achieve progress on survival and health for mothers, newborns and children. I thank you for good work you are doing in this effort. Your joint action so far is already helping to raise awareness on the problem and gaining support.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In too many parts of the world, women's ability to survive childbirth remains a matter of chance. The importance of our joint efforts to improve their survival and well being cannot be emphasized enough. I have seen this first-hand in my country, where approximately 8,100 women die each year from complications during pregnancy and childbirth. I have witnessed first hand the troubles women go through to deliver child. One day in 2000, when I was a Member of Parliament, and was travelling in my constituency in Bagamoyo Tanzania, I met a group of people pushing a bicycle carrying a woman on the backseat. The woman had been in labour for many hours and was extremely weak and exhausted. Her family was trying to get her to the health centre, which was far from the village. Because I had a vehicle, I was able to assist them in getting to the hospital faster, and both the mother and baby survived. Ever since that day, I have wondered what would have happened if I had not - simply by chance - been passing by that road at that particular moment. What about thousands of other pregnant women, who never got the chance to access the medical facilities? I have heard a lot of stories travelling around the country of pregnant women getting to the hospital with a baby's hand already sticking out for many hours. (Language! Context all questionable)

Friends, Ladies and Gentlemen,
For too many of the world's women - and especially poor women - it is a matter of chance whether they can reach a health care facility during pregnancy and it is even more difficult at childbirth; whether skilled maternity care providers are there; and whether essential equipment and drugs are available. Surviving childbirth should not be a matter of chance. It is a matter of women's basic right to health and life. Women have a right to get through pregnancy and childbirth safely. Access and proximity to health centres to health centres with qualified and experienced midwives is a still a serious impediment to maternal health. We have an obligation to ensure this right for all women. We must act to ensure that all women - rich or poor - can access essential services that have been proven to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality. These services include:-

1. Family planning and reproductive health;
2. Skilled maternity care throughout pregnancy and childbirth;
3. Emergency obstetric care when life-threatening complications develop; and,
4. Immediate postnatal care for both mothers and newborns.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

While there is agreement about what needs to be done to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality, the fact is that we are not on track to reach MDG 5 on improving maternal health. In some regions, such as sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, we have made little or no progress in increasing women's access to life-saving maternal health services. In many parts of the world, gaps between rich and poor women have been increasing – not decreasing.

This lack of progress is not because the task is too great or too challenging. It is because we have failed to make maternal health a priority. We, in this room, are in positions to change this, and indeed, we must do so. We have to scale-up budgetary allocations while mobilizing more resources. We must significantly increase the allocation of financial resources for maternal and newborn health. To meet the targets we have set, we need to increase funding for maternal and newborn health by US $5 billion annually by 2010 and by an additional US $8 billion annually by 2015. It is also important that we invest in increasing the number of skilled service providers - that is nurses, midwives, lab technicians and doctors. We need an additional 1 million skilled attendants by 2010 to ensure that lifesaving care is available to all women throughout pregnancy and childbirth.

We also need to make operational theatres medical equipments and supplies possible, for women in need of surgical interventions

Friends, Ladies and Gentlemen,

Ensuring women's right to safe pregnancy and childbirth is an issue of social justice. And it is also an economic imperative. In terms of lost productivity, the costs of maternal ill health and related newborn mortality are estimated at US $15 billion per year. This is a staggering amount. Yet, with an investment of an additional US $ 5 billion per year, we could prevent most of these maternal and newborn deaths. We who are here in this room today must work together and engage other partners in this effort to make pregnancy and childbirth safer. We can do it and we must do it.

I thank you for your kind attention!

REMARKS OF H.E. JAKAYA MRISHO KIKWETE, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA, DURING A SPECIAL EVENT ON COMMITMENT TO PR

Hizi hutuba zisizo na uetekelezaji hazina hata maana, kwani maneno matupu wakati wamama wanazidi kufa na kukanyagana kwenye hospital za manispaa hazina maana yeyote, whats is needed ni kujenga majengo na kuweka vifaa vipya halafu ndio wapige domo namna hiyo.

Tatizo ni kuwa na viongozi wanaongangania madaraka wakati sio innovative na creative katika kazi zao, viongozi wa manispaa za jiji wameongeza nini tangia uchaguzi uliopita hadi leo, au wao ni kula posho tu.

umefika wakati wa kuwa na viongozi waonaongea kwa vitendo zaidi kuliko kupiga siasa bila matendo.

Hivi ndio viliwafanya hakina aristotal na prato kufikiria umuhimu wa serikali kama haiwezi kuwakilisha mawazo na matakwa ya wananchi wake.

Lakini pamoja na hayo watanzania wanatakiwa kuwa na matatizo kama hayo ndio watajua kuwa kuwachagua watu kwa ushindi wa kishindo ndio matokeo yake, uchaguzi ujao wanatakiwa kujifunza na kuangalia kama wanaowachagua ni sahihi au wanaliwa kama 2005

Tumekwenda mbali na plato ndugu - na sikubaliani naye kimsingi kwani yeye anaamini wanafalsafa tu ndio wanaoweza kuongoza nchi, labda tumfikilie kidogo aristote na imani yake ya kwamba mwanadamu yoyote anaweza kuwa mwanafalsafa, lakini, rationality ndio tatizo. Lakini katika mitizamo yao, familia na mgawanyiko wa majukumu ni muhimu sana katika utopia wao. Mwananchi sio adai haki tu, ila ijue wajibu wake. Wao hawana tatizo na nguvu ya dola, ila wanataka dola ambolo linatosheleza mahitaji ya wananchia. Pia wanaweka msukumo mkubwa katika familia kwani nayo ni sehemu la kujenga hilo taifa kubwa - sasa sisi tunakuza watoto kwa kubahatisha bahatisha tu siku hizi.

Aah hiyo picha si ya kweli ni photoshop!!

Mkuu wewe unakaa Tanzania au nje kama tanzania usiende temeke nenda muhimbili ward ya wazazi kule chini karibu na geti la kutokea the utakuja na jibu kama ni photoshop au kweli.

Tatizo kubwa hapa ni ubinafsi !Aingii akilini kabisa kwa jiji la Dar es Salaam kushindwa kuboresha hii wodi , wakati wanakusanya mamilioni if not mabilioni ya shilingi kila mwezi . Meya wa jiji yuko wapi ? Madiwani wako wapi ? Mawaziri wanawake wako wapi ? Kwanini awatetei haki za hawa wanyonge ? I am really saddened with these images , how on earth can they allow to this happen ? It is the government responsiblity to protect people who are vulnerable.

Eeeh Mungu weee!..
Kilichobakia ni kuomba Mungu tu, tuondokane na Ndivyo tulivyo!

Tatizo kubwa hapa ni ubinafsi !Aingii akilini kabisa kwa jiji la Dar es Salaam kushindwa kuboresha hii wodi , wakati wanakusanya mamilioni if not mabilioni ya shilingi kila mwezi . Meya wa jiji yuko wapi ? Madiwani wako wapi ? Mawaziri wanawake wako wapi ? Kwanini awatetei haki za hawa wanyonge ? I am really saddened with these images , how on earth can they allow to this happen ? It is the government responsiblity to protect people who are vulnerable.

Mawaziri Wanawake wako busy kutetea uhalali wao kushiriki katika siasa kwa kupewa nafasi nyingi zaidi za jasho dogo. Hawana muda wa kuangalia wanawake wenzao wanateseka kiasi gani.

Nchi hii ina mambo kweli kweli.

Maternity ward: Hospitali ya Wilaya ya Temeke, Jijini Dar es Salaam

Wataalamu wa afya na usanifu majengo watuambie kama hicho chumba kinauwezo wa kuhimili watu wote hao i.e ventilation?

Wakina mama waliolala vitandani inasadikika ni wale waliojifungua tayari na waliolala chini ni wajawazito wenye matatizo na wanaosubiri kujifungua?

Je ni afya vichanga kuwekwa kwenye chumba crowded namna hiyo? Vipi kaa mmoja wa waliolazwa hapo ana ugonjwa wa kuambukiza?

Kama hali ni hii jijini Dar es Salaam, vipi huko vijijini?

Mabilioni ya EPA kwa nini yasitumike kuboresha huduma mahospitalini?
Picha kutoka hapa

View attachment 3822

View attachment 3823

Hapa ndipo mahali tunapotakiwa kupigania na kutumia nguvu zote kwa pamoja kuleta mabadiliko ya haraka inasikitisha tena inauna tena ni aibu kubwa kwa Nchi kama hii yeye majisifu ya kila aina leo hii kina mama hawa ambao watoto wao kesho ndio viongozi wa taifa hili au tujikumbushe sisi wenye tungekuwa nahisia gani kama ingekuwa hali hiyo imewatokea wazazi wetu binafsi wakati wanatuzaa nikitu gani kingekuwa tunakiwaza kwa serekali kama hiyo huu ni uchafu wa mwisho wa serekali hakuna nani au nani tusidanganye tena hapa ukweli ni huo , katika nchi za magharibi mfuga kuku anatakiwa kisharia ni lazima kuku awe na eneo la kujinyoosha bila matatizo leo hii Binadamu tena mzazi katika TANZANIA anawekwa katika hali ambayo hata mnyama katika ulimwengu mwengine hawekwi hivyo viongozi wetu hawalioni hilo ?hawana hata haya,huruma, basi hata hawahisi vibaya jee hawa kweli wana ubinadamu kama wanavyotwambia au wanajifikiria wao na familia zao naomba watanzania tulizungumzie hili kwa nguvu moja wanayo fanyiwa Hawa wazazi ni unyama wa mwisho unaweza kusema hakuna tafauti na mikusanyiko walivyokuwa wanakusanywa waizrail na Adof H. Mungu alipitishe fagio la chuma zidi ya serekali yenye maovu juu ya raia wake.Machungu ya uzazi yanatosha poleni kina mama Mungu hajakusahauni na wala msitowe mungu shukurani kuweni wastahamilivu ni wakati tu haujafika .

Mengi yamesemwa na yatasemwa sana! Lakini mimi naomba kuwauza ccm kwa nia ya kutaka kujua. Je maisha bora kwa kila mtanzania mlidhamiria kutudanganya au uwezo wenu ndo umeishia hapo?

uwezo wao ndio ulipoishia Mkuu.hata kuku wa mayai mwisho wa kutaga mayai ni miaka 2 baada ya hapo hana uwezo wa kutagatena. Ni kumtumia kama mboga.

Ccm imekuwepo madarakani kwa miaka 50 sasa na uwezo wake wa utendaji umeshafika mwisho. Hapa ni kubadili mfumotu. Hamna jinsi.

Ewe mama , ewe baba, ewe kaka , ewe dada maisha bora utayapata peponi, usitarajie kupata maisha bora chini ya CCM

Selekali hii iliyo shindwa hata kuzoa taka zilizo kusanywa mnadhani wata weza kusimamia afya njema?

Najiuliza, hivi kauli mbiu ya Maisha Bora kwa kila Mtanzania imekwisha kamilika au inaendelea?

Imetathiminiwa imefikia kiasi gani kulingana na malengo na matarajio yake?

Mbona haizungumziwi tena uchaguzi huu kama msingi wa kujinadi kwa kuangalia ni asilimia ngapi imetekelezwa?

Au ndo tulivyo WaTz kila mmoja anakuja na maono yake kuombea kura bila kujali anamaanisha nini na kauli mbiu yake?

Nionavyo ilikuwa ni mtaji mzuri wa kuanzia kwa kuhubiri tulikotoka na ilikotufikisha ili kutuhaminisha kuikubali kauli mbiu mpya ya Hapa Kazi Tu

Hayo ndo maisha bora kwa kila mtanzania pengo limezidi kuongezeka kati ya masikini na tajiri hao viongozi hakuna ambae atampeleka mwanafamilia yake kwenye hizo hospital

Back
Top Bottom