How Music Can Cure Depression

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Music alleviates depression, reports a study in the journal Complementary Therapies.

Researchers at the National University of Singapore reviewed 17 studies that examined the effects of music on the big D, and found that playing your favorite tunes as little as once a week can help reduce depressive symptoms.

So what's behind the power of the playlist? Valorie Salimpoor, a Ph.D. candidate in psychology and neuroscience at McGill University who has studied the impact of music on mood, says there are three ways music can reduce depression.

It's a distraction. "The brain is organized in such a way that thinking about one bad thing recalls another," Salimpoor says. "Music provides a great intrusion and breaks this cycle. When you're concentrating on the music you hear, you don't have the mental resources to focus on other negative thoughts."

It gets you high. Salimpoor authored a study earlier this year, published in the journal Nature Neuroscience, which found listening to your favorite songs boosts levels of the hormone dopamine. "Dopamine gets us excited and motivated to do things," she says. "There are many drugs that target this system, but music provides a natural high."

It makes you feel understood. Just because you're feeling sad doesn't mean you should avoid sad songs. In fact, "listening to sad songs can make you feel like someone out there knows exactly how you feel," Salimpoor says. "And that can help you feel less alone when you're depressed."

To make music your medicine, Salimpoor says any song will work as long as you like the music and welcome the distraction. "Go through your music collection and create playlists that you know will make you feel a certain way," Salimpoor says. For instance, you could have a "feel good" playlist that gets you energized, or a "let-me-continue-to-feel-sad-but-feel-like-someone-else-gets-me" playlist. (Cue R.E.M.'s "Everybody Hurts.")

It's also important to take steps that will prevent you from getting bored with your music, which could cause you to stop listening to it (and thus spiral back down into the doldrums).

Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder BAK is never on the roof,lol! Bt this could be very true. When I'm on the edge of blowing my head up, I need a long drive alone with maximum speed, ear deafening music and singing my heart out na sauti yangu sa 4.5. Aah, hapo roho yangu kwatuu!

• Thanks
Reactions: BAK
On the other hand the study should have also shown us the consequences of musicians. We read they are the most mentally disturbed and most of them can/could never perform without drugs. Why?

I would strongly suggest you read about Cat Stevens who was in the top charts at the height of his show business and what has helped him on his sufferings, of not only depression, but also other opportunistic ailments caused by drug abuse.

No wonder BAK is never on the roof,lol! Bt this could be very true. When I'm on the edge of blowing my head up, I need a long drive alone with maximum speed, ear deafening music and singing my heart out na sauti yangu sa 4.5. Aah, hapo roho yangu kwatuu![/QUOTE]

Mhhhhh! I need a ride from Airport to city center around 6.00pm (Today) :):):) and please make sure that you're ready to sing to the top of your voice :):) Mie pia huwa napangilia muziki niutakao wakati naendesha huwa unanipa raha sana huku naimba na kudance japo kwa kichwa :):):)halafu asubuhi na jioni kuna radio stesheni (FM) inapiga muziki mkali sana basi DJ siku nyingine huwa anaamua kutosema chochote bali kufanya vitu vyake basi hapo hutaki hata ufike uendako kwa muziki bab kubwa lol!!

On the other hand the study should have also shown us the consequences of musicians. We read they are the most mentally disturbed and most of them can/could never perform without drugs. Why?

I would strongly suggest you read about Cat Stevens who was in the top charts at the height of his show business and what has helped him on his sufferings, of not only depression, but also other opportunistic ailments caused by drug abuse.

....but IMO the percentage of those (Musicians) who are using drugs in order to be able to perform is very minor.

....but IMO the percentage of those (Musicians) who are using drugs in order to be able to perform is very minor.

Its not as minor as you think, its just not reported as drugs are someones secret and not something you show or brag about. Just read when catastrophe knocks there way, how many natural vs unnatural deaths are reported on performers especially musicians? you will be shocked.

Besides, music can never cure depression while at the same time we read about depressing "songs"?

I tend not to agree with the so called "study", it could have been a simple students "interview". I see nothing like a study in the article. Its just someones opinion but I refrain to call it a study.

Mhhhhh! I need a ride from Airport to city center around 6.00pm (Today) :):):) and please make sure that you're ready to sing to the top of your voice :):) Mie pia huwa napangilia muziki niutakao wakati naendesha huwa unanipa raha sana huku naimba na kudance japo kwa kichwa :):):)halafu asubuhi na jioni kuna radio stesheni (FM) inapiga muziki mkali sana basi DJ siku nyingine huwa anaamua kutosema chochote bali kufanya vitu vyake basi hapo hutaki hata ufike uendako kwa muziki bab kubwa lol!!
at
6pm from airport to city center? Aaah, the maximum speed will miss out (I'm talking 150 kms /hr at least,lol). U gotta be alone to get the intended effect,so I will leave a good machine for u, just talk to the inquiries, lol

• Thanks
Reactions: BAK
Its not as minor as you think, its just not reported as drugs are someones secret and not something you show or brag about. Just read when catastrophe knocks there way, how many natural vs unnatural deaths are reported on performers especially musicians? you will be shocked.

Besides, music can never cure depression while at the same time we read about depressing "songs"?

I tend not to agree with the so called "study", it could have been a simple students "interview". I see nothing like a study in the article. Its just someones opinion but I refrain to call it a study.

huh! there are so many musicians who are not using drugs eg Maria Carey, Beyonce, Leona Lewis, Kelly Rowlands, Kate Perry, Alicia Keys and many more. The article that I posted was not about musicians, the article is about music lovers.

at
6pm from airport to city center? Aaah, the maximum speed will miss out (I'm talking 150 kms /hr at least,lol). U gotta be alone to get the intended effect,so I will leave a good machine for u, just talk to the inquiries, lol

Mhhhh! that is scary...I don't think I'll be able to tolerate such a speed :):)

FF, the issue of musicians getting into drugs is attributed to 2 issues in my guess:
kwanza to cope with the demand. Sometimes they ar forced to do things they don't want to compete. Long performance tours etc. I remember Mariah K was forced to mute for a few days b4 performance to attain stable vocals (she has some nodules defect that works for her advantage if not disturbed). U can imagine muting for two days kama kichwa haijafukua mambo ya mwaka 47 ukapata wazimu! Imagine getting on stage for 5 days weekly till wee hrs like ngwasuma crew! U find the urge to kill the pain or fatigue, end up too deep in!
Pili;loneliness. I know I will be depressed when I'm too rich to even have to question the love from my family! I feel the pain when I think of MJ for once (he was never my fav since the plastic surgeries started). Bt can u imagine how lonely he was deep in, I bet he knew how his dad wld behave when he died! U can't be urself, u can't breakdown and cry, u can't laugh like a horse! U need the flashy smile always for media,whoooooa! I wouldn't cope,I know!
Bt I wld still say music has the healing power, for the distraction and bringing back good memories.

huh! there are so many musicians who are not using drugs eg Maria Carey, Beyonce, Leona Lewis, Kelly Rowlands, Kate Perry, Alicia Keys and many more. The article that I posted was not about musicians, the article is about music lovers.

If there are songs so depressing you just can not stand them how can you say music cures depression? or is it some music? or is it some songs?

I am not saying all musicians, I am saying most, besides, how can you tell if those musicians you have mentioned are not using drugs? do they ever come out and say I am using drugs?

Music can never cure depression.

Just out of curiosity, have u noticed that u mentioned mostly women musicians? Well,my point is women has a better copping when it comes to loneliness than men. I'm just stressing my comment to FF. When u ar a musician u tend to be seen as an item, nt human. Kama sio wanaotaka uwastareheshe basi there ar those waiting for u to print the benjamins!

Studies have also indicated that mood disoders including depression are 8 to 10 more prevalent in artist (composers,writers,painters). It is somehow paradoxical that their works is a source of happiness.

FF, the issue of musicians getting into drugs is attributed to 2 issues in my guess:
kwanza to cope with the demand. Sometimes they ar forced to do things they don't want to compete. Long performance tours etc. I remember Mariah K was forced to mute for a few days b4 performance to attain stable vocals (she has some nodules defect that works for her advantage if not disturbed). U can imagine muting for two days kama kichwa haijafukua mambo ya mwaka 47 ukapata wazimu! Imagine getting on stage for 5 days weekly till wee hrs like ngwasuma crew! U find the urge to kill the pain or fatigue, end up too deep in!
Pili;loneliness. I know I will be depressed when I'm too rich to even have to question the love from my family! I feel the pain when I think of MJ for once (he was never my fav since the plastic surgeries started). Bt can u imagine how lonely he was deep in, I bet he knew how his dad wld behave when he died! U can't be urself, u can't breakdown and cry, u can't laugh like a horse! U need the flashy smile always for media,whoooooa! I wouldn't cope,I know!
Bt I wld still say music has the healing power, for the distraction and bringing back good memories.

Music can bring back "good memories" as you say, no doubt, can also bring back bad memories? wouldn't you agree? and that is not my argument, my argument is "music can never cure depression". Healing power? healing of what? if music could have a bit of a healing power we wouldn't have a single doctor in this world as we hear it everywhere, it is so depressing most of the times. Cure it is not.

There is nothing like tranquility and sounds of nature for depression control.

Studies have also indicated that mood disoders including depression are 8 to 10 more prevalent in artist (composers,writers,painters). It is somehow paradoxical that their works is a source of happiness.

I tend to agree with you 100%, they would have been the first to be depression free if it was of any cure.

Just out of curiosity, have u noticed that u mentioned mostly women musicians? Well,my point is women has a better copping when it comes to loneliness than men. I'm just stressing my comment to FF. When u ar a musician u tend to be seen as an item, nt human. Kama sio wanaotaka uwastareheshe basi there ar those waiting for u to print the benjamins!

King'asti, here are few male musicians who don't need drugs in order to be able to perform. The list is very long but I hope that few names that I included in this list will be sufficient enough to prove my point.