Ethiopia to sell power to East Africa

Nzokanhyilu

JF-Expert Member
Feb 19, 2007
Nimesoma hii lastweek. Interesting, very interesting!! Halafu hawa wanatumia tu potential ya maji, bado hawajaangalia utumiaji potential gesi waliyonayo kibao.

Kampala, Uganda — Ethiopia plans to sell electricity to East African states starting with Kenya and Uganda, according to Ethiopia's Second Deputy Prime Minister.
Ethiopia is currently over 2,000 megawatts of electricity. By 2015, the Ethiopia Electric Power Corporation will produce 5,250 megawatts and have installed capacity of 20,000 MW in 20 years.
The Deputy Prime minister who is also the Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Ato Hailemariam Desalegn was in Kampala to sign the Ethio-Uganda Joint Ministerial Commission in Kampala Uganda on July 22 with his counterpart, Mr. Sam Kutesa.
Mr. Desalegn told East African Business Week in an exclusive interview, that Ethiopia had already connected the Kenyans on the grid under a power sale agreement. “We have reached Kenya on the main grid to be completed in three to four years. The project is financed by the African Development bank (ADB),” he said.

Read More

Nimesoma hii lastweek. Interesting, very interesting!! Halafu hawa wanatumia tu potential ya maji, bado hawajaangalia utumiaji potential gesi waliyonayo kibao.

Kampala, Uganda - Ethiopia plans to sell electricity to East African states starting with Kenya and Uganda, according to Ethiopia's Second Deputy Prime Minister.
Ethiopia is currently over 2,000 megawatts of electricity. By 2015, the Ethiopia Electric Power Corporation will produce 5,250 megawatts and have installed capacity of 20,000 MW in 20 years.
The Deputy Prime minister who is also the Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Ato Hailemariam Desalegn was in Kampala to sign the Ethio-Uganda Joint Ministerial Commission in Kampala Uganda on July 22 with his counterpart, Mr. Sam Kutesa.
Mr. Desalegn told East African Business Week in an exclusive interview, that Ethiopia had already connected the Kenyans on the grid under a power sale agreement. "We have reached Kenya on the main grid to be completed in three to four years. The project is financed by the African Development bank (ADB)," he said.

Read More

hawa wanajua wanafanya nini sio sisi viongozi wetu kila aliyeko ofisini anafikiria aibe vipi.....

Kampala, Uganda - Ethiopia plans to sell electricity to East African states starting with Kenya and Uganda, according to Ethiopia's Second Deputy Prime Minister.
Mr. Desalegn told East African Business Week in an exclusive interview, that Ethiopia had already connected the Kenyans on the grid under a power sale agreement. "We have reached Kenya on the main grid to be completed in three to four years. The project is financed by the African Development bank (ADB)," he said.

Read More

2 Gigawatt for a country (Ethiopia) with a population of about 80 Million and you are talking about exporting electricity, this is not serious...Africa is doomed!

World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer

2 Gigawatt for a country (Ethiopia) with a population of about 80 Million and you are talking about exporting electricity, this is not serious...Africa is doomed!

I see your point (the ratio of what is produced in relation to the population may just exceed the one for Tanzania), but they are progressing in comparison to Tanzania, also note, these guys have got massive potential of gas reserves.

- How are you calculating the usage of that electricity in relation to the population? Why is Addis Ababa more of an international hub than Dar es Salaam?
- Why does Mozambique (lower population than TZ) produce more electricity and manages to even export to South Africa (well, if not sabotaged)?

Truth is, exporting earns you more than internal market (if you can atleast satisfy the in-country industries prior to exporting).

Africa is doomed indeed, but it seems that Tanzania is more doomed than anyone else though.

I've been to college with students from Ethiopia, and even dated some Eritrean female back in the day, and I can tell you, Wahabeshi on average are smarter than Bantus. Heck, even Somalis have higher IQs than Bantus.

tukitegemea mipango serious ya kumaliza matatizo yetu...na bado tukiwategemea ccm...basi uwezo wetu wa akili una walakini sana....tunahitaji kuangalia kingine zaidi ya miaka yetu 50 na kujiuliza tuko wapi?

I've been to college with students from Ethiopia, and even dated some Eritrean female back in the day, and I can tell you, Wahabeshi on average are smarter than Bantus. Heck, even Somalis have higher IQs than Bantus.
tafadhali tupe taarifa ya huo utafiti.....nasi tusome kuhusiana na Uwezo wa Kufikiri.....vinginevyo hizo ni hadithi za mtaani.....

Read More

Nimelifuatilia suala la mpango wa umeme wa Ethiopia kwa muda mrefu, na ninakubaliana na mipango hiyo. Kifupi Ethiopia wamejenga ,maDam matatu makubwa (ya serikali) kwa siri. Walifanya siri kwasababu maDam hayo yatatatumia maji ya mto Nile ambao kimsingi kwa mkataba waliouweka Waingereza mwaka 1927, ni Misri ndio iliyokuwa na haki ya kutumia maji hayo.

Kwa kuzingatia mkataba huo, ingekuwa ni kinyume cha sheria kwa Ethiopia kujenga MaDam yenye lengo la kutumia maji hayo bila kuutengua mkataba huo. Kwa maneno mengine kama wangeliweka wazi, Misri walikuwa na kila sababu ya kshinda kisheria na pengine kusimamisha mradi huo. Walichokifanya Ethiopia ni kuzishinyikiza nchi za Afrika Mashariki na kati kuunda mkataba mpya utaezipa nchi hizo haki ya matumizi ya maji hayo. Hilo akafanikisha na mkataba mpya umeshasainiwa kuutengua ule wa mwaka 1927, japokuwa Misri imekataa kusaini lakini mkataba mpya umepita.

Mtoa hoja #5 amezungumzia 2GW, Ukweli sasa hivi anafanya matangazo ya biashara tu ili kuunganisha hizi Grid kwa nchi nyingi ikiwezekana hata kugawana gharama za shughuli hiyo. Lengo lake kubwa liko mwaka 2020 pale atapozalisha 20 000 MW, kwani takwimu zinaonyesha kuwa hata baada ya miaka 30 matumizi ya umeme ya waithiopia hayatazidi 10 000 MW. Akiuza 1000 MW kwa kila nchi 7 za Afrika mashariki na kati, bado ana akiba ya kutosha.

Mpango wa muda mrefu wa Ethiopia ni kufanya biashara ya umeme ndani ya Afrika. Kama hii itawalipa basi Ethiopia inaweza kujaa vizalisha vya umeme kila kona. Waziri mkuu wao alishasema, kwa vile nchi yake ni kame haitaipa kilimo kipau mbele, bali itatafuta njia nyingine mbadala za kuwawezesha watu wake kujikomboa kiuchumi.

Kuna walioingiza siasa katika hili katika hoja zao. Kama mnafikiri kuwa Waziri mkuu wa Ethiopia "Mela Zinawe" ndio mfano, kweli mmekosea. Mela Zinawe anaiendesha nchi kwa mkono wa Chuma na haamini katika Demokrasia. Katika chaguzi ya miaka nane iliyopita, aliwaweka ndani wapinzani wake wote. Walikaa huko zaidi ya miaka 4, na alipowatoa amewathibiti kikamilifu. Yeye anaamini kuwa "DEMOKRASIA" ni mpango wa Magharibi na Marekani kutumia udhaifu uliopo wa wAAFRIKA DHIDI YA MGAWANYIKO WA KIKABILA NA DINI ili waweze kututawala kifikra, kiuchumi na kisaikolojia.

Ndani ya Ethiopia huwezi kuangalia Aljazeera, BBC, CNN na kadhalika (zinajam). Tovuti za Blog zote zinaingiliwa mara kwa mara kiteknolojia na kufanya ugumu wa mawasiliano. Simu za mkononi ni issue huko, ni shirika moja tu la serikali ndio linatoa huduma. Mtandao huo hupatikana katika miji maarufu 5 tu. Mela Zinawe amelieleza swala hilo kama si muhimu.

SWALI KWA wATANZANIA: Je mpo tayari leo kutawaliwa katika mtindo huo? Ukipata jibu hapo ndio utaelewa jinsi gani tupo makini. Kama tupo tayari kubadilishana uhuru wa maneno kupapaya mitaani na maendeleo. Ninachofahamu kwa watanzania tupo tayari tufe njaa ilmradi tu tupewe nafasi ya kumtukana Rais.

Hii hoja ya rafiki yangu sina utafiti naye. Ninachoweza kusema ni kwamba hawa watu wa nchi hizi mbili alizozitaja ni WAZALENDO sana wa nchi zao. Wakiwa Ulaya na maisha mazuri, wakati nchi zao zilipoingia katika vita wengi walirudi nyumbani kushika bunduki kutetea nchi zao. Sijui kama mtanzania anaweza kufanya hivyo.

Nafikiri ndugu yangu amechanganya kati ya IQ na UZALENDO. Halika dhalika kuwa Smart na IQ. hUJAELEWA TAFSIRI KAMILI YA MANENO HAYO utachanganya kila uyatumiapo, hali ambayo utaumiza vichwa vya watu.

Katika suala zima la maada hii ni UZALENDO na si vinginevyo.

I see your point (the ratio of what is produced in relation to the population may just exceed the one for Tanzania), but they are progressing in comparison to Tanzania, also note, these guys have got massive potential of gas reserves.

- How are you calculating the usage of that electricity in relation to the population? Why is Addis Ababa more of an international hub than Dar es Salaam?
- Why does Mozambique (lower population than TZ) produce more electricity and manages to even export to South Africa (well, if not sabotaged)?

Truth is, exporting earns you more than internal market (if you can atleast satisfy the in-country industries prior to exporting).

Africa is doomed indeed, but it seems that Tanzania is more doomed than anyone else though.

Slow ya roll, where in my statement did i compared the two countries?

bantugbro said:
"2 Gigawatt for a country (Ethiopia) with a population of about 80 Million and you are talking about exporting electricity, this is not serious...Africa is doomed!"

As i have above-mentioned this is not a beauty contest. However, the fact that Mozambique is exporting power to RSA does not mean that they have good policies either. With a population 4 times less than that of Ethiopia, Mozambique produces more electricity than Ethiopia too (Moz. 2.3 GigaWatt vs Ethio. 2.0 GigaWatt). The problem is only 12-13% of Mozambican have access to their electricity!!...

Why countries have to start exporting electricity when they have not fulfill their primary national obligation which is electricity for every Citizen or at least the majority?.

Take a leaf from RSA (with population of around 49 Million) but produces more than 35 GigaWatt of electricity this is about 2/3 of all African countries combined. RSA is still seeking new and diverse sources (including importing electricity) in order to ensure that every household is connected to this important resource.

I don't know where you come from but let me give you pathetic stats w.r.t household electricity connectivity rate in the Eastern African region (this is the lowest connected region in Africa):

1: Ethiopia 40%
2: Kenya 16% (20% urban areas and 12% rural areas)
3: Tanzania 14%
4: Uganda 10%
5: Rwanda 6%
6: Burundi 2%

Talking about massive Ethiopia's Natural Gas resources that can be used in the future to generate electricity? Tanzania too have the following proven reserves which can be used for the same purpose:

1: Natural Gas - 7.5 Trillion Cubic feet
2: Uranium Oxide - 100 Million Pounds
3: Coal - 324 Million metric Tones

The problem here is poor policies in many African countries.

Slow ya roll, where in my statement did i compared the two countries?

As i have above-mentioned this is not a beauty contest. However, the fact that Mozambique is exporting power to RSA does not mean that they have good policies either. With a population 4 times less than that of Ethiopia, Mozambique produces more electricity than Ethiopia too (Moz. 2.3 GigaWatt vs Ethio. 2.0 GigaWatt). The problem is only 12-13% of Mozambican have access to their electricity!!...

Why countries have to start exporting electricity when they have not fulfill their primary national obligation which is electricity for every Citizen or at least the majority?.

Take a leaf from RSA (with population of around 49 Million) but produces more than 35 GigaWatt of electricity this is about 2/3 of all African countries combined. RSA is still seeking new and diverse sources (including importing electricity) in order to ensure that every household is connected to this important resource.

I don't know where you come from but let me give you pathetic stats w.r.t household electricity connectivity rate in the Eastern African region (this is the lowest connected region in Africa):

1: Ethiopia 40%
2: Kenya 16% (20% urban areas and 12% rural areas)
3: Tanzania 14%
4: Uganda 10%
5: Rwanda 6%
6: Burundi 2%

Talking about massive Ethiopia's Natural Gas resources that can be used in the future to generate electricity? Tanzania too have the following proven reserves which can be used for the same purpose:

1: Natural Gas - 7.5 Trillion Cubic feet
2: Uranium Oxide - 100 Million Pounds
3: Coal - 324 Million metric Tones

The problem here is poor policies in many African countries.
1. You dissed the plans for Ethiopia's progression, which I was highlighting (subtly) in relation to Tanzania. By you dissing Africa (which you are right), you are indirectly comparing all African countries. Yet you go ahead and name drop RSA, while you know damn well that it is the work of the white man.

2. Somehow you do not seem to understand that people can afford electricity only if their income allows (or through government subsidies). In order for income to allow, you need industries that provide employment and economic growth. Manufacturing/production industries (especially mining) drove the South African industry (also, the weather in SA has an effect). You hear everyday that companies/industries in Tanzania are struggling to keep up because of lack of electricity. The fact that we rely on importing finished goods, does not encourage seriousness in tackling the electricity problem.

3. Countries export electricity because that makes more money. Compare the cost of a unit of electricity for South Africa, Tanzania, Mozambique, Ethiopia...heck, any African country. Look at the average income for those countries, look at the average usage of electricity for an "average" household, then look at the affordability of that electricity, and finally, answer your own question on why electricity is exported.

4. Tanzania has proven gas reserves yes, but only a couple of years ago, the mining companies up North were willing to tap the electricity that could be generated by Artumas. If you understand how Gas production works, it can not be produced and stored in large quanties without a ready market being there. So what is the use of having the gas reserves when the market potential is there, and those who want to invest and guarantee a market for it are not empowered?

Now, like I just said, Mining industries in South Africa helped the growth of the electricity industry. These guys arevstruggling to find Energy resources of their own (oil/gas), but they think so far ahead that they are considering tapping the potential of Oil/Gas in Namibia (yaani waivute hub ya maendeleo iwe Cape Town). Ooh throw in Zimbabwe too in the mix, and dont forget to acknowledge the input of the whiteman. Once you acknowledge that, maybe then you can appreciate the little being done by Ethiopia and the likes. And maybe you can understand why Dar es Salaam does not pull international institutions as well as Nairobi and Addis.

I tell you what, if we could have winter in Tanzania for 6 months, the solution for electricity would be found.

1. You dissed the plans for Ethiopia's progression, which I was highlighting (subtly) in relation to Tanzania. By you dissing Africa (which you are right), you are indirectly comparing all African countries. Yet you go ahead and name drop RSA, while you know damn well that it is the work of the white man.

Ethiopia still has to connect 60% of her population before even start thinking of exporting her electricity. You probably don't know the RSA story very well...

3. Countries export electricity because that makes more money.

When your leaders ignore the primary priorities the country... (FYI: Electricity is not an export commodity, it is a basic human right to every Citizen). Pls refer to my response above...

4. Tanzania has proven gas reserves yes, but only a couple of years ago, the mining companies up North were willing to tap the electricity that could be generated by Artumas. Once you acknowledge that, maybe then you can appreciate the little being done by Ethiopia and the likes. And maybe you can understand why Dar es Salaam does not pull international institutions

I am very much aware of the saga, and i am not here to defend the incompetence shown by the Minister of Energy or the Government. You mentioned Ethiopian's Natural Gas reserves and its potential to generate electricity, so what you think could stop me from mentioning Tanzanian's proven natural resources potential in the same context?

I find you very incoherent in your arguments, you always drift out of the core issue may be due to lack of facts, plse do research...

as well as Nairobi and Addis

.."as well as Nairobi and Addis..." what does that mean??? Anyway i guess you meant another beauty contest! LMFAO

I tell you what, if we could have winter in Tanzania for 6 months, the solution for electricity would be found.
Have you been to Iringa, Mbeya, Moshi, Njombe??????

Is this the reason why they kill each other every day?

What do you mean by that? Americans kill each other every single day, so do Germans, Koreans, Japanese, Tanzanians and people in Papua New Guinea (who kill and eat each others brains out). So, what's exactly your point?

What is the story of the RSA that you know very well?
Nzokanhyilu said:
Yet you go ahead and name drop RSA, while you know damn well that it is the work of the white man.

Please visit Eskom website to find out how many South African homes have been connected since the black government came into power...

My question to you Mr./Miss Coherent, how do you sell electricity to a person in the village and at what price?

What does 'rural electrification' mean to you sis?

Anyway if it is justifiable to export electricity to other countries before meeting your national needs...good for you!!!!

What do you mean by that? Americans kill each other every single day, so do Germans, Koreans, Japanese, Tanzanians and people in Papua New Guinea (who kill and eat each others brains out). So, what's exactly your point?
It was a question not a point, thanks for the good answer anyway....

Please visit Eskom website to find out how many South African homes have been connected since the black government came into power...

What does 'rural electrification' mean to you sis?

Anyway if it is justifiable to export electricity to other countries before meeting your national needs...good for you!!!!

First of all, I am a man.
I suppose ESKOM was started by black South Africans right? So sending me to the ESKOM website is what you call research?

Besides a few minor typos and this paper being old, you might learn alot.
Electricity Access to the Poor: A study of South Africa and Zimbabwe

Page 2 of the paper, in regards to South Africa and Zimbabwe (at the time), says;
"Due to the fragmented nature of the sub-region resulting in many countries, this paper will concentrate of two most industrialised countries in the sub-region. Together, they account for over 50% of the population and 80% of the electricity produced and used."

Now, tell me if it was the black man who made these 2 countries the most industrialised!

The electrification programme started in RSA for the poor, is a foundation laid by the progress of the whiteman in South Africa.

Refer to page 3;
"Zimbabwe obtained its independence in April 1980 and inherited all the ills of a racially divided society, but with a developed industrial sector and a better infrastructure than most of its neighbours."

Same page;
"..South Africa is more industrialized than Zimbabwe, and is the most industrialised country in Africa."

Keep reading, and tell me how many times you see the word "industrialised". Like I said, industrialisation is the key word, which in the end will result in villages being supplied with electricity!

Page 4;
When I lightly touched on government subsidies, this is what I meant....
"The social sector was accorded a high proportion of Government expenditure, including access to modern forms of energy with the hope of redressing past inequalities. In Zimbabwe as in most African countries, access to modern energy services is very income dependent as shown in table 1."

Page 11;
"Under the apartheid system, which prevailed until 1994, development progressed on racial lines, and this pattern pervaded the energy industry. Consequently, the focus of electricity provision was on heavy industry, mining and white households which formed about 12 per cent of the total population."

The socialist thinking of the black government (however right they are to improve the people's lives) had to subsidise (more of this page 20). Why? Because people cant afford it. In the West everyone can afford it because the income levels allow it.

"The electricity distribution industry was going to reformed to address the constraints to achieving the primary objective of meeting lectrification targets, and ensuring high quality supply at low-cost and equitable price to all consumers."

Chapter 5 utasoma zaidi kuhusu affordability, government subsidies.

1 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom