English learning thread

Congrats my dear,i also have the sama problem...please any person who is accurate and fluent in english help us kanumbas primary school product..

JF members are very kind and friend Freeman Patric,and jukwaa la Lugha is very active and helpfully,U can not browse this forum and get nothing.
i do really enjoy when i get to browse this forum, mama wawili, you are really getting hot.:hat:

MSEMEA JAMVINI ,we just need to be open to get the assistance,alot of people here are ready to teach and correct us.What we need is just to show them our effort and work hard on it.There is no need to pretend that you know something while its not.St Kanumbas primary school can be transformed to academic/international school via jukwaa la lugha .Lets keep practising ,One day yes.
Congrats my dear,i also have the sama problem...please any person who is accurate and fluent in english help us kanumbas primary school product..

Thanks very much for your explanation.It seems the software is very helpful .I have all the facilities mentioned .What I need now is to keep some savings for the purchase of that software.Real I have added new vocabulary from your post,thanks alot friend
I liken this to a prompter that assists you in preparing your words prior to verbally communicating them. It could be software based or simply you recording yourself and playing that recording back to yourself and critiquing what you hear. This software I believe will try and "type" out the words for you and that speeds up the process since you can use that text and pass it through other checks say, a thesaurus to see other likely words to use and the like.

Unfortunately, they don't have a trial version available hence my call to Dear Santa to remember me this xmas.

On how it is used, I believe you just need a computer with a microphone facility either built in (most laptops will have this, or a headset for PCs) or externally installed. Once you fire up the application, it will ready itself to record on your command anything you say, transcribing it as you progress. You will be able to playback the voice and the application will highlight the words in the sentense for you.

BTW: In my reply, I am intentionally introducing words that you might need to lookup, but hope their context assist you in building that crucial range of vocabulary.

Thanks alot Reginald12. I have nothing to say lather than to thank you all JF members for your courage ,advice,and support that you are continuing to give me.Ipromise to never let you down.I will keep on practising.Have a good day

Very good construction Mama Wawili. I will just make a few corrections that really are minor slips.

Thanks a lot Reginald12. I have nothing to say other than to thank all you JF members for your courage, advice and the support that you continue to give me. I promise to never let you down. I will keep on practising. Have a good day!

Very good construction Mama Wawili. I will just make a few corrections that really are minor slips.

Thanks a lot Reginald12. I have nothing to say other than to thank all you JF members for your courage, advice and the support that you continue to give me. I promise to never let you down. I will keep on practising. Have a good day!

The sentence ''I will just make a few corrections that really are minor slips'' has a total defective syntax. Corrections are always expected to be perfect versions of what appears to a person offering them as a slip. So a subject who supplies revisions for a faulty work that are themselves erroneous is hardly dependable.

The sentence ''I will just make a few corrections that really are minor slips'' has a total defective syntax. Corrections are always expected to be perfect versions of what appears to a person offering them as a slip. So a subject who supplies revisions for a faulty work that are themselves erroneous is hardly dependable.

Agreement

The thread was started by Mama Wawili who's aim was to get help for herself and others wishing to improve their language skills. I would like to improve my language skills as well. I therefore do not see anything wrong with giving guidance to someone trudging along a path that I've already covered. I am not English!

Now that we've established who the paragon of this colonial tongue is, would you care to explain in terms that I would understand, what you perceive is the problem with my construction? In layman terms please, so it would benefit as wide an audience as possible since I am not the only one learning English on this thread.

Reginald, I must tell you I greatly appreciate your being available for the likes of Mama Wawii who are dying to better their English understanding. But even so, I've an opinion that you should do it in an undoubted, meticulous way so you don't end up in misleading or confounding them in the process. Anyhow, you've asked me to cite and remedy the exact problem in that sentence of yours ''I will just make a few corrections that really are minor slips'' I deem erroneous. As I'm sure you already know, the sentence is a complex one that uses the adjective clause ''that really are minor slips'' as a modifier for the direct object ''corrections.'' So if we decide to tear it down, we'll get these individual sentence components:
I= the subject
will just make= the action verb
a few corrections= direct object for the main verb
that really are minor slips= an adjective clause describing the direct object.
Adjective clauses, like ordinary one-word adjectives, serves in English sentences to modify or to limit the application of the noun--in this case the direct object ''corrections.'' They do so by using one of these relative pronouns as their signals: ''that,'' ''which,'' ''who,'' ''whom,'' and ''whose.''
Thus when we further scrutinize our sentence by breaking down its adjective clause, this down is what will be the outcome:
that= the relative pronoun (whose noun antecedent is ''corrections'')
are= the linking verb
really minor slips= the subject complement
You perhaps will have noticed, by now, that the sentence is profoundly imprecise in its semantics. This is due to the fact the direct object ''corrections,'' which is referred to by the relative pronoun ''that'' in a modifying clause, is linked to an arguably wrong subject complement ''slips.'' It right away can be inferred that the speaker or writer provides corrections that are slips--a state of affairs very impossible indeed. To cure that flaw, we scarcely have any option but to completely rebuild the sentence. This might be one of such revisions: ''I will just make a few corrections to your text to rectify its somewhat minor slips.'' You will agree that the sentence doesn't only sound grammatically airtight, but also makes a great deal of meaning. I can dissect it as follows for the sake of learning:
I= the subject
will just make= the action verb
a few corrections= the direct object
to your text= an adjectival prepositional phrase for the direct object
to rectify its somewhat minor slips= an infinitive phrase acting as an adverb of purpose for the action verb.

Thanks Radhia. I assumed that with the context understood and the sentence not in isolation, omitting some structures was not a crime. Now let me go sulk! :A S cry:

Thanks Radhia. I assumed that with the context understood and the sentence not in isolation, omitting some structures was not a crime. Now let me go sulk! :A S cry:

Indeed, English permits its speakers and writers the leeway to squeeze out some words from their sentences only when the omission doesn't result into confusion or mistakes. However, such a process turns out to be undesirable and totally uncalled for if it renders the construction confusing or grammatically flawed.

Hello JF members!How was the weekend?I hope the weekend was good.Mine was somehow good and enjoyable.I spent most of the time with my family and relatives who came to visit us.The visitors left our premises at 7:00,that time I were tired because I have to wash dishes,clean the environment and prepare for this week.

How was your?have a good day

Hi JF,
Honestly your advice,comments and encouragement have added something in my mind.When I started implimenting some of you comments about read more english articles, talk and talk English and listen English news at the beggining it was so difficult and sometimes I lose the confidence to speak infront of people,as time goes on I see myself gaining confidence and improving my poor English.

Most of my friends and office mates are very supportive.They chat with me via English language though not most of the time.They correct me were I am wrong .Real those advice works.

Iam begging you all my teacher never get tired with me I will be improving day by day and you will be blessed
Regalds

Hi JF,
Honestly your advice,comments and encouragement have added something in my mind.When I started implimenting some of you comments about read (reading)more english articles, talk and talk English and listen English news at the beggining("in the beginning", referring to a period in time not a place) it was so difficult and sometimes I lose the confidence(I lose confidence, refer the use of definite article "the") to speak infront(inspacefront=in front) of people,as time goes on I see myself gaining confidence and improving my poor English.

Most of my friends and office mates are very supportive.They chat with me via English language"(naomba msaada hapa wana jamvi matumizi ya "via" yako sahihi?) though not most of the time.They correct me were(where/when/whenever) I am wrong .Real those advice works.

Iam begging you(consider using "I beg you") all my teacher(teachers) never get tired with me I will be improving day by day and you will be blessed
Regalds(regards)

Congratulation.I see you improving and the number of mistakes is going down compared to previous days.I tried to highlight the words/statement I see as having grammatical error.
A bonus for you.Kwa maneno ambayo unakuwa huna uhakika wa past tense yake ikoje huwa tunatumia "did' just before the verb.
eg. I went to the marked yesterday= I did go to the market yesterday
I spoke to Juma last week=I did speak to Juma last week.

Si mbaya kwa pale unapokuwa huna uhakika wa past tense ukatumia hii wakati unajiandaa for the next episode.
Thanks

Congratulation.I see you improving and the number of mistakes is going down compared to previous days.I tried to highlight the words/statement I see as having grammatical error.
A bonus for you.Kwa maneno ambayo unakuwa huna uhakika wa past tense yake ikoje huwa tunatumia "did' just before the verb.
eg. I went to the marked yesterday= I did go to the market yesterday
I spoke to Juma last week=I did speak to Juma last week.

Si mbaya kwa pale unapokuwa huna uhakika wa past tense ukatumia hii wakati unajiandaa for the next episode.
Thanks

I am afraid you're totally off the mark in stating that ''did,'' which is a past-tense form of an auxillary verb ''do,'' can be combined with a base form of any action verb to work just as a past-tense of that verb. You've proclaimed particulary that we can cheerfully write or say ''I did go to the market yesterday'' in place of ''I went to the market yesterday'' and ''I did speak to Juma last week'' in place of ''I spoke to Juma last week.'' But as far as I am concerned, we can perfectly apply such an auxillary verb when we want to make questions or when we want to make negative statements. Examples are here on how two forms of an auxillary verb, ''do'' and ''did,'' are legitimately employed: ''Do you like to watch movies?'' (do correctly used to make a question) and ''I didn't intend to hurt her'' (did correctly used to make a negative statement).
In addition to those two major applications, forms of ''do'' are useful in explaining similarity and differences in conjunction with ''so'' and ''neither'' as in ''My wife hates spinach, and so does my daughter'' or ''I don't like watching Nigerian movies; neither do my parents.''
I hope this explanation of mine has fairly helped you to be conversant with the precise and genuine usefulness of forms of ''do'' in our written or spoken English.

I am afraid you're totally off the mark in stating that ''did,'' which is a past-tense form of an auxillary verb ''do,'' can be combined with a base form of any action verb to work just as a past-tense of that verb. You've proclaimed particulary that we can cheerfully write or say ''I did go to the market yesterday'' in place of ''I went to the market yesterday'' and ''I did speak to Juma last week'' in place of ''I spoke to Juma last week.'' But as far as I am concerned, we can perfectly apply such an auxillary verb when we want to make questions or when we want to make negative statements. Examples are here on how two forms of an auxillary verb, ''do'' and ''did,'' are legitimately employed: ''Do you like to watch movies?'' (do correctly used to make a question) and ''I didn't intend to hurt her'' (did correctly used to make a negative statement).
In addition to those two major applications, forms of ''do'' are useful in explaining similarity and differences in conjunction with ''so'' and ''neither'' as in ''My wife hates spinach, and so does my daughter'' or ''I don't like watching Nigerian movies; neither do my parents.''
I hope this explanation of mine has fairly helped you to be conversant with the precise and genuine usefulness of forms of ''do'' in our written or spoken English.
Please read between lines may be we will on the same page.I did not write about the auxiliary verb "do" I did explain how someone not competent with the past tense of a certain verb can make use of "did" while finding out what the real past tense is.Note the knowledge level of a person you are dealing with matters when it comes to education.For you I think you have some knowledge on the language but not everyone can see what you have seen.From primary to o-level we were taught that the sun is stationary,in a-level we were taught the sun is moving.One step at a time no need to rush,it is not necessary to understand me now you may understand me even after one week or a month it is acceptable in learning especially when there is no exams.

I go to the market yesterday(huyu ataonekana ni tatizo sana)
I did go to the market yesterday(huyu walau ataeleweka)

That is what I tried to explain only if past tense huijui nasisitiza.I appreciate your opinion.
The way I see it

Please read between lines may be we will on the same page.I did not write about the auxiliary verb "do" I did explain how someone not competent with the past tense of a certain verb can make use of "did" while finding out what the real past tense is.Note the knowledge level of a person you are dealing with matters when it comes to education.For you I think you have some knowledge on the language but not everyone can see what you have seen.From primary to o-level we were taught that the sun is stationary,in a-level we were taught the sun is moving.One step at a time no need to rush,it is not necessary to understand me now you may understand me even after one week or a month it is acceptable in learning especially when there is no exams.

I go to the market yesterday(huyu ataonekana ni tatizo sana)
I did go to the market yesterday(huyu walau ataeleweka)

That is what I tried to explain only if past tense huijui nasisitiza.I appreciate your opinion.
The way I see it

There are only three types of primary auxillary verbs in the English language, namely verb forms of ''have,'' ''do,'' and ''be.'' All of them are used in conjunction with the ''main verb'' in a sentence to form what is known as a ''verb phrase.'' A verb phrase, for your information, is exactly what is represented by ''did go'' in your sentence ''I did go to the market yesterday.'' I can only infer that either you're a type of person given to argue for the sake of arguing or you're a type of person who doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

There are only three types of auxillary verbs in the English language, namely verb forms of ''have,'' ''do,'' and ''be.'' All of them are used in conjunction with the ''main verb'' in a sentence to form what is known as a ''verb phrase.'' A verb phrase, for your information, is exactly what is represented by ''did go'' in your sentence ''I did go to the market yesterday.'' I can only infer that either you're a type of person given to argue for the sake of arguing or you're a type of person who doesn't know what he or she is talking about.
Again thanks for your opinion.

Don't let someone else's opinion of you become your reality.(by Les brown)

Back
Top Bottom