EAC: How Tanzania is shooting herself in the foot

This is the only Tanzania so far who has written sense. I need only tell him this about the beer issue. he is describing a marketing problem. Most manufacturers in Tanzania have difficulties, some of them self imposed, at venturing out.
In fact a manager in a South Africa supermarket once told me that Tanzanian Manufacturers do not understand the Concept of a super market. When they deliver their supplies, they want to be paid upfront. Supermarkets are mainly outlets where manufacturers are only paid what is sold. Merchandisers only rent space in the super market to sell and pay a commission. So if you walk to uchumi and you do not find Serengeti Beer, call the plant ans ask them to rent a fridge in Uchumi so that you buy from the. But Tanzania Breweries may want to sale to bars that COD. That is a old and outdated system.
Many Kenyan manufacturers set up shop in Tanzania in the 1990s and 2000s because of frustration with the Moi regime. Since Moi was replaced, the country's economy has been on a growth trajectory. in Kenya the market for manufacturers is within a 400KM radius. So with good roads and a growing economy, most lost the incentive to invest in Tanzania.
The other reason for those that remain was; they gunned for the SADC market, which has proven elusive hence the incentive to stay longer in Tanzania is removed.
Now my worry is in 2017, SADC, EACM and COMESA will form a bigger FTA. F or every country that joins the FTA with EAC, Tanzania is pushed down the ranks in terms of importance ans economic partner.
That is our worry because we cannot afford to live with a poor neighbour next door. projection indicate that even though grows at lower pace than Tanzania, by 2016, its GDP will be twice that of Tanzania. of course these projection excluded LNG and OIl as economic factors in both countries. Therefore the difference could be narrowed down or even widened.
I must admit that some Kenyans, including some that write on this forum have a bad attitude just like some Tanzanians are. Bad sweeping our weaknesses under the carpet will not help any one. Neither does bragging over our achievements, real or imagined. The most important thing is to take a step back frfom our attitudes and do some soul searching. Then act Accordingly.

I see it differently. When Tanzania pulled out of Comesa everyone in Comesa was crying. Why? Because Tanzania is a bridge. It is at the centre of everything You cannot talk about trade between North and South of Africa without going through Tanzania, unless you only want to use the ocean which might prove very expensive.

About the Uchumi supermarket in Tanzania I can tell you that Tanzania Breweries are the main brewers of Lager in Tanzania and South Africans know business better than Uchumi. Besides, there other supermarkets in Tanzania which deal with Tanzania Breweries. Currently Uchumi stocks all brands of beer made by Tanzania Breweries.

I have demanded that you remove this copy and stop plagiarising my work for a long time. Why have you chosen to turn a deaf hear? You action is hurting my interest band this is the last time I will caution you on your illegal action
EAERs Management.

As I said, I can engage with you and come to an agreement because you argue ideas. Now that TBL and Uchumi are doing business, it is good. The good thin with Supermarkets is they are a large market for any merchandiser. Many more Tanzanian Companies should follow suit and they will find themselves selling their wares allover East Africa where uchumi and Nakumatt have outlets.

I agree with you that Tanzania is more or less a bridge between North and South. But Bridge, especially when it is a country, should serve much more than just being a road top somewhere. We want to a see a Tanzania that produced goods that are sold in the entire East Africa.
Tanzania is the only country in EA that has bicycle assembling plant. Yet we keep importing bicycles from China and the far East. That is one thing we want to witness. Made in Tanzania bicycles selling allover in EAC. I doubt whether that is looking down on TZ.
There is one unfortunate thing about your country. One infrastructure. There are only about 8000KM of paved roads in Tz.for such a large country. This is a drop in the ocean. It means that a large segment of the country is not a market for local produce.
For instance the areas bordering Kenya, buy their consumer goods from kenya. Those bordering Malawi buy from Malawi etc. How will Tanzinain manufacturing sector expand in the circumstances?

I have demanded that you remove this copy and stop plagiarising my work for a long time. Why have you chosen to turn a deaf hear? You action is hurting my interest band this is the last time I will caution you on your illegal action
EAERs Management.

It is good that the girl who plagiarized your work is also from your country (Kenya). Please sort this issue in a civilized manner...we know you guys are quick to pull a fast one....:hat:

EAERs Management.
i have removed the post if you are talking about mine,sorry i had not read this thread since i posted. pole sana. i have just left the link

Good and let's keep that way. When you copy and paste my work., you arm my interests.

The first time I visited Tanzania, I thought i was dropped right bang in the middle of beggars- always begging for this or that even begging Shopkeepers to sale to you. In Kenyan parlance there is a world of difference between asking for help( Naomba) and demanding for action.

I think that is why a shopkeeper in Tanzania can rudely tell an impatient customer to go away and shop elsewhere and still be in business tomorrow.
May be a short story would do. I have a few Tanzanian friends with whom we exchange visits. The last time my friend visited me, he had time to walk around sampling Kenyan culture, especially the business culture.
One day he accompanies to a local branch of Uchumi Super Markets. As I walked In stumbled on the group CEO of the chain. I shook his hand congratulating for turning the supermarket round.
We exchanged pleasantries before he asked me what was wrong spraying pump I was carrying in the store. I explained that i bought it in that branch and since it did not function properly, I returned to establish whether it was working or I assembled it in the wrong way.
The man immediately took the pump, inspected it and immediately pointed the trouble. He even re-assembled it for me. It worked. Meanwhile my friend asked a staffer to show a particular counter. The staffer, immediately stopped what he was doing and led my friend to the counter.

later as we discussed the experiences of the day, My friend's wife, commented about the efficiency of the Kenyan Business Community. "in Kenya, the customer is King. In Tanzania the shop owner is King."
I believe that tells something

The first time I visited Tanzania, I thought i was dropped right bang in the middle of beggars- always begging for this or that even begging Shopkeepers to sale to you. In Kenyan parlance there is a world of difference between asking for help( Naomba) and demanding for action.

I think that is why a shopkeeper in Tanzania can rudely tell an impatient customer to go away and shop elsewhere and still be in business tomorrow.
May be a short story would do. I have a few Tanzanian friends with whom we exchange visits. The last time my friend visited me, he had time to walk around sampling Kenyan culture, especially the business culture.
One day he accompanies to a local branch of Uchumi Super Markets. As I walked In stumbled on the group CEO of the chain. I shook his hand congratulating for turning the supermarket round.
We exchanged pleasantries before he asked me what was wrong spraying pump I was carrying in the store. I explained that i bought it in that branch and since it did not function properly, I returned to establish whether it was working or I assembled it in the wrong way.
The man immediately took the pump, inspected it and immediately pointed the trouble. He even re-assembled it for me. It worked. Meanwhile my friend asked a staffer to show a particular counter. The staffer, immediately stopped what he was doing and led my friend to the counter.

later as we discussed the experiences of the day, My friend's wife, commented about the efficiency of the Kenyan Business Community. "in Kenya, the customer is King. In Tanzania the shop owner is King."

Very true shop keeper is the king in tansania

Kenyans may not be arrogant it is just that their language seems very rude. It is not their fault they were born that way. Kenyans have a problem with communication which makes them sound rude. It will take a visitor sometime to get used to this.

I totally agree with you that to a Tanzanian ( and many people of other nationalities I've met) the Kenyan way of communicating may sound arrogant. In speech Kenyans are blunt, usually brief and concise, with little or no regard to small talk. 'Hello, nipe soda mbili!' A Tanzanian would go through an elaborate greeting ritual where a Kenyan would simply say 'hi'. ('.....maybe five minutes ...... habari zaidi?') Most Kenyan languages are 'tonal'. You communicate not just by the words you use but your tone of voice determines your meaning. I don't think Kenyans have problem with communication(otherwise they wouldn't flood the reception/PR desks in foreign lands), but rather the cultural set up makes their communication play to a different set of rules. A Kenyan would consider a strong sounding 'Shikamoo!' as delivered by many urban youth rude because to him, it is the voice and not the words that is important.

Mwathai,

..in my opinion when u travel to a new place u have to familiarize urself with the culture of that place. For example what is a good customers service and what is bad. how could u tell that business negotiations r going well or bad?

..Let me give u an example: at my work place I have had a subordinate who often times would respond in ENGLISH "I don't care." I would call him and his team and give a task to them, and if I wanted to know weather he is OK or not, he would respond "I don't care."

..at first i was getting very frustrated with him, but i just kept it to myself, because whatever task i gave him he would perform it to my satisfaction. it is only after a while that i realized that he was saying "I don't care" bcuz that is a direct translation from his NATIVE language to ENGLISH meaning he was OK/READY/GOOD TO GO.

..EAC is a multicultural society, and each one of us need to appreciate and embrace it. I would not try to fit Kenyans/Ugandans/Rwandese into my Tanzanian culture. I believe if I am in Kenya/Rwanda/Uganda I have to understand how ppl in those societies communicate, and how I have to relate to them.

NB:

..frm ur visit to Tanzania, what is one thing that the PEOPLE of our country really impressed u with??

Hii tread imejaa pumba na maringo ya wendawazimu ambao wamejifunza kutumia vyoo walipokuja Tanzania, ama sivyo ni watumia flying toilet kule kwao. What a waste.

Mwathai,

..in my opinion when u travel to a new place u have to familiarize urself with the culture of that place. For example what is a good customers service and what is bad. how could u tell that business negotiations r going well or bad?

..Let me give u an example: at my work place I have had a subordinate who often times would respond in ENGLISH "I don't care." I would call him and his team and give a task to them, and if I wanted to know weather he is OK or not, he would respond "I don't care."

..at first i was getting very frustrated with him, but i just kept it to myself, because whatever task i gave him he would perform it to my satisfaction. it is only after a while that i realized that he was saying "I don't care" bcuz that is a direct translation from his NATIVE language to ENGLISH meaning he was OK/READY/GOOD TO GO.

..EAC is a multicultural society, and each one of us need to appreciate and embrace it. I would not try to fit Kenyans/Ugandans/Rwandese into my Tanzanian culture. I believe if I am in Kenya/Rwanda/Uganda I have to understand how ppl in those societies communicate, and how I have to relate to them.

NB:

..frm ur visit to Tanzania, what is one thing that the PEOPLE of our country really impressed u with??
My response was to people who have a problem with the Kenyan way of communicating. They did not time to ask themselves; Is our way of communicating pleasant to every one?
What I am calling for is cultural tolerance. I find it hypocritical that when I write about Tanzania building more roads to open up the country. No Tanzanian comments, when we point out -in good faith-areas that need to be improved. We are accused of looking down on them.
Today in our copy, we have pointed out that Tanzania is among the African country that Economists project will post fast growth rates in Africa. No one has responded. We are looking at improving our economies through integration so that we create a large market. Tanzania needs Kenya as much as Kenya needs Tanzania. Kenya is the leading market in Africa for Tanzanian agricultural and manufactured goods. In a word, the growth of Tanzanian manufacturing sector- and the jobs it creates- is driven by Kenya consumers. Therefore this insolent attitude like this madman Wacha1 who says we first used toilets in Tanzania is annoying.
One thing that Impressed me about Tanzania-it is a country of drunkards. It is the only Country I know where People "dilute "a 7.5 alcohol content beer(Safari and kilimanjaro) with a 40% proof gin( Konyagi).

mwathai,

..kuna gazeti kama The East African ambalo liko very NEGATIVE about TANZANIA and her ppl.

..I am very interested kusoma gazeti la Kenya which portrays Tanzania in a positive light.

..Quite frankly, hiyo ni trend mpya and we would hope it continues.

..kama wa-Mtanzania napenda positive and constructive criticism toka kwa ndugu zetu wa-Kenya, the problem ni kwamba, and this is very unfortunate, most of the Kenyans ambao wako hapa JF wana dharau nyingi sana.

..We need to ACT and SPEAK as ONE. If we keep on clinging to our nationalism, and continue to malign and sobatage one another, then the EAC will have no future.

..Lastly, I found ur previous post to be positive and civil, however it is unfortunate that u concluded on a negative note when u remarked that "Tanzania is a country of drunkards."

Last edited by a moderator:
mwathai,

..kuna gazeti kama The East African ambalo liko very NEGATIVE about TANZANIA and her ppl.

..I am very interested kusoma gazeti la Kenya which portrays Tanzania in a positive light.

..kama wa-Mtanzania napenda positive and constructive criticism toka kwa ndugu zetu wa-Kenya, the problem ni kwamba, and this is very unfortunate, most of the Kenyans ambao wako hapa JF wana dharau nyingi sana.

..We need to ACT and SPEAK as ONE. If we keep on clinging to our nationalism, and continue to malign and sobatage one another, then the EAC will have no future.

..Lastly, I found ur previous post to be positive and civil, however it is unfortunate that u concluded on a negative note when u remarked that "Tanzania is a country of drunkards."

I am keen to see good relation everyone. I cannot talk for the East African. However, the last time i checked most people who pen Tanzanian stories are Tanzanians.
Being negative in reportage is a disease common with media houses- I don't know who told them that a positive report is the preserve of public relations departments. In Kenya we have a similar problem with the press. Even when there is nothing negative to report, they'd create some. The same is the case with Tanzanian press.

You asked me what impressed me and I responded accordingly. In Tanzanian parlance," mimi ni mnywaji sio Mlevi." And I was taught in Tanzania. It never existed in my vocabulary. Consequently I have little respect for drunkards be they Kenyan or Tanzanians. What struck me was the practice of "diluting beer with Konyagi because it is unheard of even among Kenyan drunkards.
Perhaps it was wrong to wash your dirty linen in public. I am sorry and make no excuses for it.

My response was to people who have a problem with the Kenyan way of communicating. They did not time to ask themselves; Is our way of communicating pleasant to every one?
What I am calling for is cultural tolerance. I find it hypocritical that when I write about Tanzania building more roads to open up the country. No Tanzanian comments, when we point out -in good faith-areas that need to be improved. We are accused of looking down on them.
Today in our copy, we have pointed out that Tanzania is among the African country that Economists project will post fast growth rates in Africa. No one has responded. We are looking at improving our economies through integration so that we create a large market. Tanzania needs Kenya as much as Kenya needs Tanzania. Kenya is the leading market in Africa for Tanzanian agricultural and manufactured goods. In a word, the growth of Tanzanian manufacturing sector- and the jobs it creates- is driven by Kenya consumers. Therefore this insolent attitude like this madman Wacha1 who says we first used toilets in Tanzania is annoying.
One thing that Impressed me about Tanzania-it is a country of drunkards. It is the only Country I know where People "dilute "a 7.5 alcohol content beer(Safari and kilimanjaro) with a 40% proof gin( Konyagi).

Teh Teh heheheeee...... So what about chang'aa drinkers..... who say unazima taa unafikiri ndiyo nitaondoka napo siondoki ng'o... kumbe the eyes are gone....

By the way the alcohol content of Safari is 5.5% v/v (http://www.beerlabels.com/labels/labels.pl/2461/safari_lager.html). and if you add 5.5% v/v to 40% v/v it doesn't make 45.5% v/v but rather dilute to almost 50% of its concentration (refer to quantitative analysis)......

Having gone this far, I believe I have a pretty good idea what ails Tanzanians. I think -whether they know it or not- Tanzanians feel swamped by Kenyans who own a robust media and robust economy. To some extend, Tanzanians feel that their information never gets out in a positive way.

There are large project development projects in Tanzania that do not get the right exposure. That is true. I for one, have to look elsewhere to get info about Tanzania developments because I do not know where to start in Tanzania (the media there is unreliable). Now let me offer Tanzanians an opportunity to have their say. I have the forum and am willing to open it up to them and anyone else in East Africa who feels the same. These are the conditions of entry.
i.The report must be factual, it must be backed by verifiable references
ii. It must be in English-
iii. It must be devoid of propaganda

Send the info to the e-mail on the blog, also include your real name, address and telephone number.
Then you shall be by lined as a guest writer

Let's talk about equals here. Chang'aa is called gongo in Tanznaia. I did not talk about Gongo. I am comparing the middle class in a country

Teh Teh heheheeee...... So what about chang'aa drinkers..... who say unazima taa unafikiri ndiyo nitaondoka napo siondoki ng'o... kumbe the eyes are gone....

By the way the alcohol content of Safari is 5.5% v/v (Tanzania Breweries Ltd. Safari Lager Beer Labels .com). and if you add 5.5% v/v to 40% v/v it doesn't make 45.5% v/v but rather dilute to almost 50% of its concentration (refer to quantitative analysis)......

Let's talk about equals here. Chang'aa is called gongo in Tanzania. I did not talk about Gongo. I am comparing the middle class in a country. In Kenya they drink beer or spirits-but they don't mix. That is suicide

Mwathai
Havent you got something better to do other than using endless hours on Tanzania bashing? I am on record for having written in this forum that our true friends are to the south with whom Tanzania has a partenership based on mutual respect. The common denominator between Tanzania and Kenya is minimal and a patrnership of the uwilling.

Having gone this far, I believe I have a pretty good idea what ails Tanzanians. I think -whether they know it or not- Tanzanians feel swamped by Kenyans who own a robust media and robust economy. To some extend, Tanzanians feel that their information never gets out in a positive way.

There are large project development projects in Tanzania that do not get the right exposure. That is true. I for one, have to look elsewhere to get info about Tanzania developments because I do not know where to start in Tanzania (the media there is unreliable). Now let me offer Tanzanians an opportunity to have their say. I have the forum and am willing to open it up to them and anyone else in East Africa who feels the same. These are the conditions of entry.
i.The report must be factual, it must be backed by verifiable references
ii. It must be in English-
iii. It must be devoid of propaganda

Send the info to the e-mail on the blog, also include your real name, address and telephone number.
Then you shall be by lined as a guest writer

mwathai,

Mkuu mbona kuna Wakenya wengi tu wastaarabu na wanaheshimu binadamu wenzao, wengine wapo mpaka humu lakini wenye traits kama ya jamaa huyo ni wachache sana, sitaki kuwataja majina. Post zake za mwanzo zilikuwa a bit +ve, lakini hiyo ilikuwa ni gimmick zake zakutaka kutuingia lakini kashindwa, sasa hivi ndio anajionyesha makucha yake baada ya kuona malengo yake yameingia nyongo kumbe Tanzanians are no fools. Nilisha sema humu kwamba Tanzania haitaji shotgun marriage na mambo ya EA, majority of Tanzanians feels at home na majirani zetu wa Southern Africa tulioshirikiana nao katika ukombozi wao tukamwaga damu kwa kukomboa Wafrica wenzetu; we don't need people who speaks with a folked tongue.

We chukua muda kuwa-study, huatashindwa kuelewa kwamba wanao iandika vibaya Tanzania ni wale wanao ona kwamba hawana njia ya kutuingia sisi kupitia mgongo wa nyuma i.e we're a hard nut to crack, chukulia mtu kama huyu unaye jibizana naye sasa hivi - mimi nilisha mshitukia siku nyingi kwamba ana lengo fulani la kibihashara ambalo alisubiri kuli-reveal at an opportune TIME (anafikili hatuna akili). Uzuri wa watanzania, watu wenye attitude kama za jamaa huyu tunawapa enough rope ili wajimalize wenyewe. Revisit Ndugu Nicholas posts, amekaa huko anawajuwa fika.

Hapa anajitia kutoa ushauri na gimmicks nyingine chungu mzima mpaka anafikia kuzozana na Mkenya mwenzake openly badala ya kumtumia private message ili waelewana badala ya kudhalilishana adhalani - Yote haya ni PUBLICITY STUNT zake za kwenye stone age era anafikili Watanzania hatuwezi ku-smell a rat zaidi ya lightyears away.

Jamaa huyu ana blog yake na hii ndilo lilikuwa lengo lake la kuingia kwenye jamvi hili - hakuwa na lengo lingine zaidi ya kutaka kijinufahisha hapo baadae - haya ni mambo ya kisaikolojia una angalia mambo anayo yaandika yana muelekeo gani hata akijitia ku-draw a long bow kuna mahali atajisahau tu kutokee a slip up.

Katika mawazo yake anafikili Watanzania tunaweza kupelekwa ndani ya virtual sailing boat yake inayo ongozwa na trade winds (monsoon) bila ya kuona beyond our noses - mtu mwenye Dutch courage ya nini kijibizana naye, ndio maana anazungumzia mambo ya ulevi levi tu of all things!!!

Mwisho tumuhulize huyo jamaa ni nchi gani raia wake wanakunywa KILL ME QUICK (sijuhi kill me quickly)? nchi gani raia wake wenye kipato cha chini wakinywa pombe za kienyeji mchana kweupe, baadae ya muda wanamwambia muhuza pombe awashe taa wanaona giza, kumbe pombe ilikuwa-laced na methanol na kuwafanya wawe vipofu mchana kweupe!! Sisi tulio pata bahati ya kutembelea Kenya na kwenda mpaka vijijini tuna mengi ya kueleza asione tumenyamaza/hatusemi akafikili hatujuhi.

Back
Top Bottom