Dr. Patrick Amoth Nominated Vice Chair Of World Health Assembly

Kevin85ify

JF-Expert Member
Apr 6, 2019

=======

Acting Director-General in the Ministry of Health Dr. Patrick Amoth has expressed gratitude after his election as the Vice President of the World Health Organisation(WHO) Executive board.

The medic thanked Health Cabinet Secretary (CS) Mutahi Kagwe and his Ministry for their confidence in him.

"I am overwhelmed & deeply grateful for your support & kind words on my election as Vice President of WHO Executive Board. My sincere gratitude also to Health Ministry Kenya led by CS Mutahi Kagwe, for their confidence in me. I will endeavor to represent Kenya with dignity & honor. Asante," said Dr. Amoth in a Twitter statement on May 23.

WHO Executive Board

According to WHO statutes, the Executive Board consists of 34 people designated by as many members. A member country like Kenya appoints a technically qualified person to the board. The President of the Board is also referred to as the Chairman

The Board meets at least two times every year. WHO says the main meeting is in January and another in May. The core function of the Board is to effect the decisions of the Health Assembly, says WHO

In Africa, only seven countries (Botswana, Burkina Faso, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Madagascar) comprise the executive board.

Dr. Amon will be the only member of an African state to serve at the leadership of the Executive board. Other member countries in the leadership are India, Germany, Guyana, Oman, and Tonga. India's Dr. Harsh Vardhan is the current Chairman.

Back
Top Bottom