Arsenal (The Gunners) | Special Thread

#Arsenal launches regional beer partnership with Ganzberg in Cambodia. This three-year partnership will harness the popularity of football and #AFC in Cambodia to continue to support Ganzberg’s growth as the number one beer in the region. As club's ambassador gilbertosilva https://t.co/2YTOaZyhXh
IMG_20190909_152556.jpeg
IMG_20190909_152551.jpeg

Nketiah on Wrighty:

“He’s been brilliant. He’s a bit of a mentor. He messages me, asks me how I am, how I’m finding things up in Leeds...It’s a dream come true to have one of your heroes speaking to you. He’s such a nice guy and a modest guy for the career he’s had.” #AFC https://t.co/ZAP8jGViYh

Nicolas Pepe amejitoa katika kambi ya Ivory Coast na atatumia muda uliobaki kurudi London.
Swala hili ni makubaliano baina ya pande mbili ambazo ni Arsenal na shirikisho la soka la Ivory Coast.
Hajaumia, lakini kutokana na kukosa maandalizi kamili ya msimu imeonekana itakuwa ni bora zaidi arudi London ili kujiweka fiti zaidi.

Pepe alijiunga na timu ya taifa ya Ivory Coast na kutumia nao muda kidogo kabla ya klabu na taifa kukubaliana atumie kipindi hiki cha mechi za kimataifa kujiweka fiti zaidi.

#coyg

Lucas Torreira started Uruguay's 2-1 friendly win over Costa Rica in the early hours on Saturday, but was withdrawn shortly before the half-time whistle blew.

Reports in the midfielder's home country state that he requested to be taken off because of a knock and now it remains to be seen if he is involved against the United States on Wednesday.

Arsenal and Unai Emery handed massive injury boost ahead of Watford trip

Gunners head coach Emery will certainly be sweating on the fitness of Torreira ahead of next weekend's Premier League clash against Watford.

The Spaniard came in for some criticism for his midfield selection in the north London derby draw with Tottenham Hotspur.

After netting a consolation against Liverpool the week before, Torreira was brought in for his first start of the season against the Lilywhites as he partnered Granit Xhaka and Matteo Guendouzi in the engine room.

Following the game many Arsenal fans have urged Emery to drop Xhaka after he recklessly dived in on Son Heung-min to concede a penalty from which Harry Kane made it 2-0.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time talking to the legend that is Kanu last week.

First up from that interview, his thoughts on Arsenal selling Iwobi, why he thinks it was a big mistake and why he would have told the player not to leave. https://t.co/9RmJKkIwGs

"I have been in touch with people at the club but I felt when you go like that you cannot be half in, half out. You let people who come in work their way. I wanted to take a complete distance. It’s still a bit early, to go back."

- Arsene Wenger recently on return to Arsenal https://t.co/1JNnD0Djnh
IMG_20190910_111450.jpeg

Kanu on #Arsenal selling Iwobi:

"I would say they made a mistake, 100%. Why they let him go, I don’t know. He’s a boy who, in & out, is Arsenal. He always wanted to do his best for the club. He loves the club, but not only that he can play football" https://t.co/s190HngacR

Mikh timu ya taifa anavyo kiwasha utafkir sio yule wa arsenal. yote kwa yote huyu gnabry kila nikimuangalia roho inauma, tuliuzaje mashine hii

Mikh timu ya taifa anavyo kiwasha utafkir sio yule wa arsenal. yote kwa yote huyu gnabry kila nikimuangalia roho inauma, tuliuzaje mashine hii
Wenger hakukosea kumuacha ,kama unakumbuka kuna msimu Wenger alimpa muda sana wa kucheza , dogo akafanya vzr

Mkataba wake ukawa unaelekea kuisha ,Wenger akamwambia dogo asaini , akawa anadengua , Wenger akamwambia yupo huru kuondoka , ndipo Wenger akampandisha Iwobi kutoka acardemy. ,japo alikuwa anapiga sana LW
FB_IMG_1568124029748.jpeg

“Raul is one of these rare figures in the industry who is so likeable and has so much charisma and emotional intelligence,” said Dick Law, who left Arsenal soon after Sanllehi arrived, having spent close to a decade working alongside Arsene Wenger and Gazidis on transfers and contract negotiations.

“Raul’s charming, charismatic and he’s got a great sense of humour.

“Even in conflictive situations, he doesn’t look to escalate the conflict. Those are valuable qualities.

“He’s pragmatic, a guy who is focused on finding solutions. His whole life has been sports and football. He knows the game; there is no question about it.”

Law added: “Raul has become part of the premier management of European football.

“Remember, he came through three successive management groups at Barcelona. Anyone who can survive from Laporte to Rosell to Bartomeu has got some skills.

“When Ivan brought Raul in, the idea was to give Ivan some support because part of Ivan’s work with Arsenal was to make sure that the club’s seat at the table for the future of football was maintained.

"That’s why his work with the executive committee at UEFA, and part of his work with the ECA (European Club Association), was so vital to Arsenal’s interests.

“But you can’t be everywhere all the time and Raul was brought in to provide that support.

“The challenge for him now in this role – and it’s one that I know he has embraced very clearly – is to preserve the Arsenal ethic and everything that has been built on by prior generations.

“I think he personally believes that it is part of the DNA and identity of the club, and he is committed to preserving it because clubs without identity typically go south.”

It’s certainly been a remarkable few months at Arsenal with Sanllehi at the helm. The mood of dejection that hung over the club following the capitulation at the end of last season has been replaced with a sense of optimism and excitement.

The squad has been transformed during a transfer window that saw six new arrivals and a remarkable 16 departures.

[https://images]

Nicolas Pepe was bought from Lille for a club-record £72 million ($89m) fee, with Dani Ceballos, Kieran Tierney, Gabriel Martinelli, David Luiz and William Saliba also coming through the door.

In all, Arsenal committed around £140m ($173m) on new players this summer, with Sanllehi and chief negotiator Huss Fahmy leading the overhaul. It’s the type of ambition fans have been crying out for.

“He’s a good negotiator,” one agent who has worked closely with Arsenal told Goal. “Raul knows how to handle things in the right way.

“There is no bullsh*t with him. If he says he’s going to do something, then he does it. There are plenty in the industry who will mess you around and change things at the last minute. He’s not one of those.”

The summer wasn’t just about incomings at Arsenal. In fact, there was much more movement out of the club than there was coming in.

Several squad members were shown the door in ruthless fashion – a process which dramatically cut the wage bill while also bringing in valuable transfer fees and generating more opportunities for the club’s talented young players to progress.

And for Sanllehi, that is key. When you talk with the Spaniard, the conversation will often turn to the 10 years he spent as director of football at Barcelona and the huge success the club enjoyed during that time.

He believes that success was down to the large numbers of academy players who made up the team. Lionel Messi, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol, Victor Valdes, Pedro and Gerard Pique were all developed at La Masia and went on to become cub legends.

“Sanllehi was a follower of what he found at La Masia,” Goal’s Barcelona correspondent Ignasi Oliva explained. “It was like Vicente Del Bosque taking the Spain national team after Luis Aragones.

“Sanllehi continued what he found and he made it evolve. He played a hugely important role in what happened at Barcelona when he was there.

“And don’t forget we are speaking about the greatest era in Barcelona’s history. He has huge importance.

“Raul was a good person for making players exploit their talents and to go on and make it with the first team.”

Given the success that Barcelona’s academy products brought to the Camp Nou, it is no surprise to learn of the importance that Sanllehi has now placed on youth at Arsenal and the work that is being done at Hale End, the club’s own version of La Masia.

There has been significant money ploughed into developing youth in recent years. Under Gazidis, £40m ($49m) was spent on transforming the facilities at Hale End and London Colney, and that investment is starting to pay off, with Joe Willock, Reiss Nelson and Ainsley Maitland-Niles all starting games in the Premier League this season.

Sanllehi sees the academy as vital to Arsenal’s future success, but he is not someone who looks to wield his power and get in the way of the work that is being done at Hale End.

Instead, he is happy to take a back seat and allow the four-man leadership team of Per Mertesacker, Lee Herron, Luke Hobbs and Marcel Lucassen run things how they see fit.

“The importance of the academy to the club is clear day to day,” a high-placed figure within Hale End told Goal. “It’s so refreshing. They see it as a shining light.

“You don’t see Raul all the time because a lot of what he does is very strategic. He’s with UEFA, the FA, he’s lobbying for this and doing that.

“So, you don’t see him constantly, but you see him when the time is right. If you need him, then he will be there.

“And he’s not one to come in and just say ‘This is what I want.' He says ‘What do we want and what are we going to do?’ That’s the way he works.

“At the end of the day, the academy is about developing young players for the club, but it’s also clear that it’s about trying to develop good young people. And if they come through as good Arsenal players, then it’s even better.

“So, from Raul, it’s certainly not a case of this is what I want and you better deliver it. It’s what do we want and how are we going to achieve it?”

[https://images]

Creating an environment where staff feel they have a voice has been one of the areas that Sanllehi has been keen to improve since taking the reins at the Emirates.

In fact, he and Venkatesham have introduced workshops which are held three or four times a year to help bring people at the club together.

Staff are invited to the stadium and briefed on how things are going. They are also encouraged to share any matters they want raised and to ask any questions they might have.

“They are transparent and you don’t get that a lot in football, I can tell you that now,” one Arsenal source told Goal.

“It gives us all a real sense of togetherness.”

It’s been a long time since Arsenal has felt like a united club. Protests have become the norm in and around the stadium in recent years. Indeed, only a few weeks before Pepe arrived there was a small gathering of fans outside the Emirates still venting their frustrations towards owner Stan Kroenke.

Board members and directors have grown accustomed to being booed and jeered by supporters who have questioned their ambition following years of decline and perceived inactivity in the transfer market.

That is why the sight of Sanllehi being mobbed and cheered as he made his way into Anfield was such a significant one. It was a clear indication of the dramatic shift of mood in north London.

Back
Top Bottom