Romney in London

Jasusi

JF-Expert Member
May 5, 2006
Romney's diplomatic blunder in London:
He just found a way to infuriate the Britons.

LONDON—Mitt Romney tried to downplay his suggestion that he found preparations for London's Summer Olympics "disconcerting," which he said in an in an interview with NBC News. But the GOP candidate's comment continues to haunt him here. At a pre-Olympics rally in Hyde Park Thursday, London Mayor Boris Johnson openly mocked Romney's comments—calling him out by name to the crowd.
"There are some people who are coming from around the world who don't yet know about all the preparations we've done to get London ready in the last seven years," Johnson said. "I hear there's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know whether we're ready. He wants to know whether we're ready. Are we ready?! Are we ready?! Yes, we are?!"
Johnson's criticism comes just hours after British Prime Minister David Cameron offered a snippy response to Romney's comments, telling reporters," Of course it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere"—a comment widely interpreted to be a reference to Salt Lake City, where Romney ran the 2002 Winter Olympics.
But Cameron apparently didn't voice his displeasure with Romney face-to-face. A senior Romney aide, who declined to be named, told reporters Romney's comments on the London Olympics didn't come up in their meeting at 10 Downing Street earlier today.
Still, Romney emerged from the meeting praising the London games at length—a suggestion that he was aware of the firestorm his comments to NBC had started in the British press.
"What I see shows imagination and forethought and a lot of organization, and I expect the games to be highly successful," Romney said.

• Thanks
Reactions: BAK
A tempest in a teapot

But this right here is a major gaffe

Last edited by a moderator:
A tempest in a teapot

But this right here is a major gaffe

That was no gaffe. The Romney people are trying to twist it as a gaffe, but what the President said is correct. The small business man needs the infrastructure which was put there by someone else. But the Romnitos, because they tend to twist and criticize anything Obama says, have twisted this out of proportion.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was no gaffe. The Romney people are trying to twist it as a gaffe, but what the President said is correct. The small business man needs the infrastructure which was put there by someone else. But the Romnitos, because they tend to twist and criticize anything Obama says, have twisted this out of proportion.

Unfortunately, the Obamas and Democrats are extremely poor in communicating with voters. The anti-"ObamaCare" and the anti-"Bailout" uprisings of 2010 were indeed caused by the good spinning machinery of the GOP and given legitimacy by the poor and timid defense from the Democrats.

There are many political opportunities that Democrats let go, which GOPs would have used effectively. For example, if Obama was twisting facts to satisfy his agenda, the GOPs would have been all over him portraying him as a person who belittles Americans by telling lies; even terms like unpatriotic would have been used against him. But when Romney and the GOps twist facts, nobody goes over them, instead the Obamas and Democrats end up just defending themselves, which they also do very poorly. They are poor in both attacking their opponents as well as in defending their own views and record.

Unfortunately, the Obamas and Democrats are extremely poor in communicating with voters. The anti-"ObamaCare" and the anti-"Bailout" uprisings of 2010 were indeed caused by the good spinning machinery of the GOP and given legitimacy by the poor and timid defense from the Democrats.

There are many political opportunities that Democrats let go, which GOPs would have used effectively. For example, if Obama was twisting facts to satisfy his agenda, the GOPs would have been all over him portraying him as a person who belittles Americans by telling lies; even terms like unpatriotic would have been used against him. But when Romney and the GOps twist facts, nobody goes over them, instead the Obamas and Democrats end up just defending themselves, which they also do very poorly. They are poor in both attacking their opponents as well as in defending their own views and record.

You guys amaze me!

You talk as if the Democrats don't spin things. Come on now...spinning is part of politics and if there one thing that we all can agree on, then spinning is it.

So both sides spin things.

The Independent headlined a story about Romney's visit with a cutting quote from Olympian Carl Lewis: "I swear, sometimes I think some Americans shouldn't leave the country."

"Are you kidding me, stay home if you don't know what to say," added Lewis, who attended an event for children Friday morning with First Lady Michelle Obama, who is leading the U.S. Olympics delegation.

Romney's biggest stumble was implying that London may not be ready to host the Olympics in an interview with NBC News just after his arrival, saying there were some "disconcerting" signs of organizational and security issues.

London Mayor Boris Johnson slapped back in very public fashion during a massive pre-Games rally.

"There's a guy called Mitt Romney who wants to know if London is ready," he cried, prompting the 60,000-person crowd to jeer the candidate's name. "Are we ready?"
During an interview with NBC's "Today" on Friday, Romney continued to do damage control.

"After being here a couple of days, it looks to me like London is ready," he said.
Romney also said his comment would be forgotten as soon as the games kick off.

'Party-Pooper' Mitt Romney Wakes To Scathing UK Headlines, London Trip Continues To Go Awry | New York Daily News

"I swear, sometimes I think some Americans shouldn't leave the country."

Sarah Palin thought Africa was a country, not a continent. God bless you, Carl Cameron, for promising an "avalanche" of Palin revelations that had been off-the-record until the election was over. She threw temper tantrums and was unmanageable. She didn't prepare for her Couric interview. And did we mention that she thought Africa was a country, and not a continent? Wait until she hears about Australia: it's both. [YouTube]

255372_10150958676576545_805114399_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom