Yesha
Senior Member
- Jan 28, 2026
- 138
- 64
Chimurenga music legend Thomas “Mukanya” Mapfumo has defended his decision to accept a US$1 million performance offer from businessman Wicknell Chivayo, saying the deal does not mean he has abandoned his values, activism or support for ordinary Zimbabweans.
The 81-year-old music icon has faced criticism from some fans and social commentators who accused him of compromising his long-standing reputation as a voice for social justice and human rights.
Responding to the backlash, Mapfumo said accepting the gift from Chivayo — who has previously given expensive gifts to several public figures — should not be interpreted as an endorsement of any political side or a betrayal of his beliefs.
“I am, and will always remain, a human rights activist,” Mapfumo said in a statement. “Accepting a gift from a fan does not mean that I have abandoned my cause or betrayed my people or my music.”
Mapfumo, whose music played a major role in Zimbabwe’s liberation struggle and has often addressed social and political issues, said his conscience remained clear despite the criticism.
He said many people had accused him of “crossing the floor” but argued that his role as an activist should not be confused with that of an opposition politician.
“While I am an activist, I am not an opposition politician,” he said. “The responsibility of contesting for political power and pursuing government reform belongs to political leaders.”
Mapfumo also questioned why he had faced intense criticism when other musicians and public figures had previously received gifts from Chivayo.
He mentioned several Zimbabwean musicians, including Feli Nandi, Alick Macheso, Baba Manyeruke, Leonard Zhakata and the late Nicholas Zakaria, as artists who had received similar gestures.
“Zimbabwe has had a dozen celebrity artists emerge from the USA to perform and get paid by the same people who are inviting me to perform and take a gift,” he said.
The Chimurenga legend said he intended to donate most of the proceeds to charity and maintained that accepting the offer did not mean he supported any political movement or abandoned his principles.
“I have not sold out my conscience or my values,” Mapfumo said. “I intend to remain true to them for the rest of my life.”
The controversy comes as debates continue in Zimbabwe over the relationship between artists, public figures and political figures who offer financial support or gifts.
The 81-year-old music icon has faced criticism from some fans and social commentators who accused him of compromising his long-standing reputation as a voice for social justice and human rights.
Responding to the backlash, Mapfumo said accepting the gift from Chivayo — who has previously given expensive gifts to several public figures — should not be interpreted as an endorsement of any political side or a betrayal of his beliefs.
“I am, and will always remain, a human rights activist,” Mapfumo said in a statement. “Accepting a gift from a fan does not mean that I have abandoned my cause or betrayed my people or my music.”
Mapfumo, whose music played a major role in Zimbabwe’s liberation struggle and has often addressed social and political issues, said his conscience remained clear despite the criticism.
He said many people had accused him of “crossing the floor” but argued that his role as an activist should not be confused with that of an opposition politician.
“While I am an activist, I am not an opposition politician,” he said. “The responsibility of contesting for political power and pursuing government reform belongs to political leaders.”
Mapfumo also questioned why he had faced intense criticism when other musicians and public figures had previously received gifts from Chivayo.
He mentioned several Zimbabwean musicians, including Feli Nandi, Alick Macheso, Baba Manyeruke, Leonard Zhakata and the late Nicholas Zakaria, as artists who had received similar gestures.
“Zimbabwe has had a dozen celebrity artists emerge from the USA to perform and get paid by the same people who are inviting me to perform and take a gift,” he said.
The Chimurenga legend said he intended to donate most of the proceeds to charity and maintained that accepting the offer did not mean he supported any political movement or abandoned his principles.
“I have not sold out my conscience or my values,” Mapfumo said. “I intend to remain true to them for the rest of my life.”
The controversy comes as debates continue in Zimbabwe over the relationship between artists, public figures and political figures who offer financial support or gifts.