Only one runway? Unbeilevable.

simplemind

JF-Expert Member
Apr 10, 2009
Jomo Kenyatta international airport had to shutdown for nine hours yesterday after an Egyptian plane overshot runway. Flights had to be diverted to Dar,Kampala and Mombasa. I was amazed/shocked to learn that Nairobi airport has only one runway (more so for country boasting a reowned national carrier aptly reffered to as pride of Africa). Is the same true for Dar, Zanzibar, Kilimanjaro ,Entebbe airports?

Jomo Kenyatta international airport had to shutdown for nine hours yesterday after an Egyptian plane overshot runway. Flights had to be diverted to Dar,Kampala and Mombasa. I was amazed/shocked to learn that Nairobi airport has only one runway (more so for country boasting a reowned national carrier aptly reffered to as pride of Africa). Is the same true for Dar, Zanzibar, Kilimanjaro ,Entebbe airports?

It is not how many runways you have, It is how you manage trafic with the one you have. Heathrow has 100x more traffic than Dar es salaam airport, but the manage with three runways, EA countries do not need two runways because there in no frequenty landings and flyings.

Interesting, Dar has more than one...:sick:

I worked in TZ between 2003 and 2005 and it was my first time to land on a MURRAM runway so don't even think of comparing yourselves to Kenya. Bukoba, Shinyanga etc all had murram runways!!!! how much does it cost to tarmac a runway. In Kenya, a murram runway is unimaginable, even in the remotest Wajir town.

How many run ways Hong Kong airport has? Do Heathrow, the busiest airport in the world have 100x runways?

I worked in TZ between 2003 and 2005 and it was my first time to land on a MURRAM runway so don't even think of comparing yourselves to Kenya. Bukoba, Shinyanga etc all had murram runways!!!! how much does it cost to tarmac a runway. In Kenya, a murram runway is unimaginable, even in the remotest Wajir town.
mhhhh kazi inaanza

I dont think having one runway should be an issue, The probability of what happened happening is so low as to not warrant the expense of building another runway for the volume of flights most African airports receive.

On the other hand now that the volume of flights is increasing, both passenger and cargo, it makes sense to build another runway, and it appears that it is something that the Kenya airports authority (KAA) has anticipated as shown in the image below

after.jpg

source

The cost of building and maintaining such a airport would have been prohibitive for revenue of a few airlines that frequented JKIA, especially considering Kenya airways was not always profitable.

How many run ways Hong Kong airport has? Do Heathrow, the busiest airport in the world have 100x runways?

tatizo ni pooroooooooooooooojo tu ndio mumesalia. observing all indicators lazima kukazana ndugu hakuna cha ndoto hapa

kuna massive expansion ya Jomo Kenyatta airport ambayo imesababisha hizo runways nyingine nazo kuwa closed

they are way beyond one lane

Interesting, Dar has more than one...:sick:

Confirmed, Julius Kambarage Nyerere Airport has two runways, but only one can handle big planes.
Airfield Data: 2 Runways, Fire Category 7
Runway 1: Heading 05/23, 3 000m (9 842ft), 56/F/A/W/T, Aircraft size max: B747
Runway 2: Heading 14/32, 1 000m (3 280ft), 15/F/B/Y/U

Mnataka Airport iwe na runway ngapi ? They are supposed to have a spare one (even the taxiway) for emergency

Back
Top Bottom