Mzungu discovers Mount Kilimanjaro?

Mahesabu

JF-Expert Member
Jan 27, 2008
ADAM LUSEKELO, 25th September 2010 @ 12:00, Total Comments: 5, Hits: 1627

THE other day I was having a casual look at our papers. In this rag they were talking a little tuition lesson to 'O' level history. I went through it and, believe it or not, the item was about 'the Maji Maji Rebellion' of 1905-07.

Excuse me! So, some of our history books to teach our totos still talks about the 'Maji Maji Rebellion'? I thought that those wrongs and lies have already been corrected more than 50 years after independence.

I remember at 'O' level a youthful teacher in training came down from the University of Dar and had fearsome language for what had transpired in pre-colonial Tanganyika in the 18th and 19th century.

"Karl Peters was an 19th century German thief who came to steal our land!" boomed the trainee teacher. The class was so quiet you could hear a gecko break wind from the classroom walls.

I looked at my desk mate in astonishment and disbelief. Was this man from the Uni of Dar okay? He seemed to enjoy telling us that. "Yes." He nodded, "Karl Peters was just an agent of German business thieves who came and conned the people of Morogoro in Tanganyika into signing their lands away. Who was Rebmann, then", he asked.

That sounded easy streets. Someone raised his hands and: "Rebmann was the first man to see and discover Mt Kilimanjaro," My fellow student said with a triumphant glee on his face.

"Oh yeah? Where was Mr Swai's grandfather at this time? You mean there were no people around the mountain, for Rebmann to see? Was there only the mountain. Where were the Chagga, the Taita the Pare people at this time?" Silence.

Then it dawned on us. The revolutionary teacher in practice made sense. It is true that we have been diddled by both the European powers, Germany, Britain into thinking that the colonialists had come to civilize us.

Both parties share the blame of the historical disaster. What is unforgivable is that you suspect that the 18th and 19th century rip-off is creeping in today and our so-called 'leaders' are giving it an enthusiastic nod. Eti investors!

Every right thinking person knows that sooner or later today's colonialists, wearing suits, will try to run our show, if they are not running it already. In our struggle for the liberation, Africans have been very happy with the left-over toys -- the toys and like the flag and the motor-cade.

Other than that, the wazungus and Arabs can come and turn our country into a playground and a brothel. My biggest fear is that it is a matter of time before we get a mzungu or an Indian or an Arab PM. Or, even a president! It does not seem to bother us. The reason? This country's path is not based on racism!

Mkuu.
Inategemea nani anaandika historia hiyo.
Ukichukua "point of view " ya wazungu kuwa huyo Mzungu aligundua Ml. Kilimanjaro basi ni sahihi lakini kwa mtanzania na mwenyeji wa nchi hii kuwa na uoni kama wa mzungu huyo ni dalili ya kutokujielewa.

Si katika ugunduzi wa milima tu au "new worlds" lakini leo kuna urushaji na uandishi wa habari. Habari nyingi kusukumwa katika macho na masikio yetu kupitia uoni na mitizamo wa wazungu au watu wa nje na sisi bila ya kupima wala kudadisi huwa tunakuwa makasuku.

Kutawaliwa kifikra!

Nao hao viongozi wa nchi hii, wanashindwa kuandika mitaala yenye kuendana na Utaifa wetu...! Labda wanaogopa kuwaudhi wakubwa wa hii dunia.

Labda tukisema kuwa Mlima Kilimanjaro, ulivumbuliwa na wakaazi wanao zunguka mlima huo tutakosa pesa za kujikimu kutoka mataifa tajiri.

Sioni sababu yoyote ya msingi mpaka kupelekea kuwafundisha watoto wa shule kwa mfano majina ya Maziwa (Lakes) ya Tanzania kama vile ziwa Nyanza na kuita ziwa Victoria.

"Oh yeah? Where was Mr Swai's grandfather at this time? You mean there were no people around the mountain, for Rebmann to see? Was there only the mountain. Where were the Chagga, the Taita the Pare people at this time?"
Bwana Rebmann alikuwa wa kwanza kuona mlima Kilimanjaro kwa sababu Babu ya Swai alipouona hakujua anaangalia geological feature gani mbele yake. Bwana Rebmann akaiambia dunia, jamani hapa kuna Mlima, Babu Swai akasema hapa kuna Mungu.

Baadae ikaja kukubalika duniani kote kwamba Kilimanjaro ni mlima, sio Mungu.

Credit ikaenda kwa Rebmann kwamba Bwana Rebmann ndio amegundua mlima Kilimanjaro, Babu Swai didn't know what he was looking at.

Bwana Rebmann alikuwa wa kwanza kuona mlima Kilimanjaro kwa sababu Babu ya Swai alipouona hakujua anaangalia geological feature gani mbele yake. Bwana Rebmann akaiambia dunia, jamani hapa kuna Mlima, Babu Swai akasema hapa kuna Mungu.

Baadae ikaja kukubalika duniani kote kwamba Kilimanjaro ni mlima, sio Mungu.

Credit ikaenda kwa Rebmann kwamba Bwana Rebmann ndio amegundua mlima Kilimanjaro, Babu Swai didn't know what he was looking at.
Mkuu mbona unamdharirisha Babu yake na Swai...!

Babu yake na Swai alikuwa sahihi kabisa, kwa sababu walipo uona huyo mlima (Kibo, Mawenzi, na Shira) walikubali uwezo wa Mungu, na ndio maana wakauita huo mlima Kilimanjaro, yaani Mlima wenye Kung'ara (shining mountain), au mlima wenye weupe juu. Kwa tafasiri nyingine ni Mlima ulishindika kuupanda.

Back
Top Bottom