Mtwara ARV user develops abnormally big breasts

DECENT DUDE

Oct 17, 2011
Some men who have been prescribed anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs for prolonging their lives have developed abdnormal "breast -like enlargements.

Changes in body
One of her sons is also HIV positive and has been taking ARV drugs since October, 2007.
She explained they had both been taking the drugs, but due to unknown reasons, she started noticing changes in her body.
But she believes the changes were caused by the fact that she has been unable to follow the instructions of taking the ARVs.
She said the drugs were very strong and required the users to get a balanced diet. But Salima was unable to follow the instructions and at times stopped taking the medicine.
"These drugs are very strong; if you take them without enough food you become very weak. But there are days when I'm forced to take them without eating anything, especially when I get seriously sick. In other words, I take the medication irregularly," she explains. The family lives off the earnings of her husband who repairs bicycles.
After paying for alcohol which Salima admits she likes very much, there is little left to support a big family like theirs, especially for buying food. Actually, Salima has been forced to sell all the family goats to pay for food.
Like many families in Mtwara District, Salima's has been experiencing food shortage since 2007, a situation complicated by the recent long drought in the district, forcing many people to survive on only one meal a day.
She feels very weak on days she does not take the medication. "I have even started developing some complications …I believe it is due to my inconsistency in taking the drugs. My left side is developing rashes, and I suffer much pain," she says, as she shows me a scar.
Despite her HIV-positive status, Salima had until recently insisted on having more children. Three months ago she gave birth to twins. One died, and the other is very weak. While pregnant, Salima's doctors gave her treatment to prevent transmission of the virus to her babies.
Hassan has agreed they will not have more children, although Salima is not convinced. She particularly dislikes his refusal to use a condom when having sex.
There is no alternative to taking ARVs by HIV positive persons, even though it is challenging to adhere to the treatment because of lack of resources to get proper diet.
Matiti.jpg

Attachments

• Matiti.jpg
    Matiti.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 148
Some men who have been prescribed anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs for prolonging their lives have developed abdnormal "breast -like enlargements.

Changes in body
One of her sons is also HIV positive and has been taking ARV drugs since October, 2007.
She explained they had both been taking the drugs, but due to unknown reasons, she started noticing changes in her body.
But she believes the changes were caused by the fact that she has been unable to follow the instructions of taking the ARVs.
She said the drugs were very strong and required the users to get a balanced diet. But Salima was unable to follow the instructions and at times stopped taking the medicine.
"These drugs are very strong; if you take them without enough food you become very weak. But there are days when I'm forced to take them without eating anything, especially when I get seriously sick. In other words, I take the medication irregularly," she explains. The family lives off the earnings of her husband who repairs bicycles.
After paying for alcohol which Salima admits she likes very much, there is little left to support a big family like theirs, especially for buying food. Actually, Salima has been forced to sell all the family goats to pay for food.
Like many families in Mtwara District, Salima's has been experiencing food shortage since 2007, a situation complicated by the recent long drought in the district, forcing many people to survive on only one meal a day.
She feels very weak on days she does not take the medication. "I have even started developing some complications …I believe it is due to my inconsistency in taking the drugs. My left side is developing rashes, and I suffer much pain," she says, as she shows me a scar.
Despite her HIV-positive status, Salima had until recently insisted on having more children. Three months ago she gave birth to twins. One died, and the other is very weak. While pregnant, Salima's doctors gave her treatment to prevent transmission of the virus to her babies.
Hassan has agreed they will not have more children, although Salima is not convinced. She particularly dislikes his refusal to use a condom when having sex.
There is no alternative to taking ARVs by HIV positive persons, even though it is challenging to adhere to the treatment because of lack of resources to get proper diet.
View attachment 39415

Huu ni uongo uliotukuka.

Back
Top Bottom