Mtizamo wa Mwalimu Nyerere kuhusu Libya, Misri, na Palestina

JokaKuu

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2006
..kwanza nimpe shukurani mwanachama mwenzetu Shwari kwa kutuletea makala hii.

..nimeona niilete makala hii ktk jukwaa la siasa ili iweze kusomwa na wanachama wengi zaidi.

In an interview with Nawal El Saadawy of Egypt's El Mussawar first published on 19 October 1984, Mwalimu Nyerere discusses Palestine, Tanzania's relations with Libya, and Africa's economic woes.

Nyerere's name brings to my mind the names of the leaders of the 1960s: Nkrumah, Lumumba, Nehru, Tito, leaders who, with Gamal Abdel Nasser, led the two huge continents of Africa and Asia towards unity within the Non-Aligned Movement and the Organisation of African Unity. Those years were full of hope; then came the seventies to abort these hopes. Now we are in the eighties and Africa is being buffeted more and more by crises as heavy as the waves of the sea in a storm. Now the continent which is rich in natural resources suffers from problems of food supply. Nyerere rules his country, Tanzania, like the captain of a ship, steering his vessel to avoid the deep currents and the whirlpools. In doing so, he has made his country an island of stability while still continuing to be an African leader who has never stopped struggling.

When you meet him, he is as calm as the waters of Msasani Bay where he lives in Dar es Salaam, and as delicate as a poet. He also writes poetry. He is as simple as a child when he laughs, and as modest as are the truly great. When you sit with him, you yourself feel great; he never seeks to dominate you but gives you all the space in which to be yourself.

He greatly admired Nasser; they worked together for the liberation of the African continent from colonialism. Many times during the last twenty years he has played an historical role in preventing the division of the OAU.

Although his country is poor in financial resources, he has consistently refused to accept foreign aid under unacceptable conditions or at the expense of his country's independence. He rejected West German aid and turned it down for the sake of Zanzibar's independence; he sacrificed British aid for the sake of Rhodesia's independence; he continues to resist Reagan for the sake of Namibian and South African independence. And for the sake of his support for the Palestinians, he sacrifices much. During the October 1973 (Arab-Israeli) war, he spoke up against Israel and closed the Israeli embassy in Dar es Salaam. In 1974, he opened the Palestinian embassy whose flag still flies in the capital.

I sat down beside Julius Nyerere at the hour before sunset on the terrace of his house by the sea, the mango and the papaya trees and tropical flowers around us in profusion. He has lived in his own house in Dar es Salaam for the past twenty years-from soon after independence. Behind me was a blackboard where his children used to write and in the corner was a huge receiver-set through which he can follow debates in Parliament. There were no carpets on the floor; the leather-covered chairs were old. I called him "Mwalimu Nyerere" as his own people do. He is kind-hearted and has a sense of humour. He laughed frequently while commenting on the contradictions of our world. I forgot I was with a head-of-state. The hour-and-half passed by very swiftly. And so I began with my questions.

NAWAL EL SAADAWY: We have followed closely the support you have constantly given to the Arabs. You never stopped supporting Egypt even though you did not like Camp David. You have also always supported the cause of the Palestinians. How do you see their struggle?

JULIUS NYERERE:
We have never hesitated in our support for the right of the people of Palestine to have their own land. Our generation was a generation of nationalists struggling for the independence of our own countries- that is what we were there for. But the plight of the Palestinians is very different and much worse. When we were fighting for our independence, I was IN Tanzania, Kenyatta was IN Kenya. Even now, the Namibians and the South Africans are in their OWN country. But the Palestinian plight is more terrible and unjust; they have been deprived of their own country, they are a nation without a land of their own. And therefore they deserve the support of Tanzania and the entire world. The world must hear their voice and give them understanding and support.

As for supporting the Arab world, you must remember that I believe very strongly in unity. Sometimes, I am accused of supporting unity for its own sake but I believe that unity is an instrument of liberation. And the oppressed must not easily give up their unity-only the enemy can rejoice at its loss. One of my major statements on unity was made in Cairo in a speech at Cairo University in 1964. At that time, both Nasser and Nkrumah were getting impatient with the "reactionaries" in our continent but I said we should not have a confrontation with other African countries; they were a part of us and we all had to live with each other.

Many years later, when some Arab countries tried to have Egypt expelled from the OAU, I defended the unity of the OAU. We can criticize Egypt, I said, but we can never expel an African state from the OAU- where will it end? Similarly, during the Non-Aligned Summit of 1979 in Havana, there was an attempt on the part of some Arab countries to expel Egypt from the Non-Aligned Movement. I was asked to join them but I argued that Egypt was a member of the OAU and as such could not be expelled from the Non-Aligned Movement.

We will destroy the OAU, and our unity through it, if we begin expelling each other. Egypt is a vital member of the Arab world and of Africa. Sadat went too far in embracing Israel; he was alone because of this; the Arab countries felt betrayed by him. But Africa too lost Egypt-it made a tremendous difference to us, this absence of Egypt. What is the OAU without Egypt? Egypt was a pillar of the OAU, of the Non- Aligned Movement. Earlier this year, President Mubarak came to visit Tanzania, his visit was a success and I believe he is now playing an important role in the Arab world and in Africa.

NAWAL EL SAADAWY: What about your relations with Libya?

JULIUS NYERERE:
We have never cut our relations with Libya; Gaddafi got entangled in the Uganda war against us without really meaning to. Idi Amin was a good actor and pretended Uganda was a Muslim country; amazingly many other countries were also taken in by him. Uganda is not a Muslim country, it is a Christian country, almost as Christian as Southern Sudan. I tried to explain all this to Gaddafi in 1973 when I met him for the first time in Algiers during the Non-Aligned Summit. He had some very vague ideas then about Tanzania. He thought that during the revolution in Zanzibar (1964), Christians had fought against Muslims. I told him that Zanzibar was 99% Muslim and the Zanzibaris, during their revolution, had got rid of their feudalists just as he had got rid of the feudalists in Tripoli in 1969. I wanted to explain this and so get Gaddafi off that hook. He also felt that Tanzania was a Christian country because I am a Christian. But we are very mixed in Tanzania and we have three times more Muslims here than in Libya. But we are also very secular and we do not believe that politics and religion go together in that sense. During the Uganda war, I never wanted to make a big issue out of Libya's involvement in it. Since then, I have tried to get our friend Gaddafi to understand and I think he now has a greater appreciation of what is happening in this part of the world.

Itaonwa lakini haitachangiwa sana tatizo ni "kimalikia"

..ila ni somo zuri sana kwa vijana wanaotaka kujifunza historia ya siasa za mambo ya nchi za Tanzania.

..sikujua kwamba Mwalimu Nyerere na OAU walikuwa against makubalino ya Israel na Misri ya Camp David.

..lakini pia sikujua kwamba ilibidi Mwalimu ampe somo Muammar Gaddafi kuhusu mapinduzi ya Zanzibar, na nafasi ya Waislamu hapa Tanzania.

Ahsante Joka

Old good days
Ni zama hizo za Tanzania kuwa Tanzania na kabla ya jambo lazima waje 'meka' Dar
Nyakati za Watanzania kujinadi mbele ya mataifa 'ninatoka Tanzania au mimi ni Mtanzania''

..ila ni somo zuri sana kwa vijana wanaotaka kujifunza historia ya siasa za mambo ya nchi za Tanzania.

..sikujua kwamba Mwalimu Nyerere na OAU walikuwa against makubalino ya Israel na Misri ya Camp David.

..lakini pia sikujua kwamba ilibidi Mwalimu ampe somo Muammar Gaddafi kuhusu mapinduzi ya Zanzibar, na nafasi ya Waislamu hapa Tanzania.
Mkuu ni kuulize kidogo kuna kakipande hapo kanasomeka "his rejected aid from western Germany because they sake for Zanzibar independent"

Western Germany waliokuwa na maslahi gani na visiwa vya karafuu?

Mkuu ni kuulize kidogo kuna kakipande hapo kanasomeka "his rejected aid from western Germany because they sake for Zanzibar independent"

Western Germany waliokuwa na maslahi gani na visiwa vya karafuu?

..asante sana kwa swali lako.

..baada ya vita kuu ya pili Ujerumani iligawanyika kukawa na West Germany na East Germany.

..East Germany ilikuwa ikifuata siasa za Kijamaa ikiwa chini ya fungamano la ulinzi na Wakomunisti lililojulikana kama Warsaw Pact.

..West Germany ilikuwa ikifuata siasa za kibepari huku ikiwa ktk makubaliano ya ulinzi nchi za mabepari ya Nato.

..Sasa mwaka 1964 baada ya mapinduzi ya Zanzibar, East German iliitambua serikali ya mapinduzi na kuamua kufungua ubalozi.

..Kwa upande mwingine, West Germany walikuwa na ubalozi wao huku Tanganyika na wakitupatia misaada mbalimbali.

..Baada ya muungano Tanganyika na Zanzibar, West Germany wakaanza kutukoromea kwamba kama tunataka tuendelee kupokea misaada yao basi tunapaswa kufunga ubalozi wa East Germany.

..Shinikizo hilo lilimtibua Mwalimu Nyerere na hivyo akaamua kuvunja uhusiano na West Germany na kupoteza fursa ya misaada. Ni kutokana na tukio hilo ndipo Mwalimu Nyerere alitoa kauli kwamba Tanzania ni nchi huru na haitakubali kuchaguliwa marafiki au maadui.

NB:

..ngoja niite waalimu wangu wanirekebishe pale nilipokosea.

cc Nguruvi3, Shwari, Kichuguu, Richard

..baada ya vita kuu ya pili Ujerumani iligawanyika kukawa na West Germany na East Germany.

..East Germany ilikuwa ikifuata siasa za Kijamaa ikiwa chini ya fungamano la ulinzi na Wakomunisti lililojulikana kama Warsaw Pact.

..West Germany ilikuwa ikifuata siasa za kibepari huku ikiwa ktk makubaliano ya ulinzi nchi za mabepari ya Nato.

..Sasa mwaka 1964 baada ya mapinduzi ya Zanzibar, East German iliitambua serikali ya mapinduzi na kuamua kufungua ubalozi.

..Kwa upande mwingine, West Germany walikuwa na ubalozi wao huku Tanganyika na wakitupatia misaada mbalimbali.

..Baada ya muungano Tanganyika na Zanzibar, West Germany wakaanza kutukoromea kwamba kama tunataka tuendelee kupokea misaada yao basi tunapaswa kufunga ubalozi wa East Germany.

..Shinikizo hilo lilimtibua Mwalimu Nyerere na hivyo akaamua kuvunja uhusiano na West Germany na kupoteza fursa ya misaada. Ni kutokana na tukio hilo ndipo Mwalimu Nyerere alitoa kauli kwamba Tanzania ni nchi huru na haitakubali kuchaguliwa marafiki au maadui.

NB:

Sawa kaka mkubwa

Sawa kaka mkubwa

..Tanzania pia tuliwahi kuvunja mahusiano ya kibalozi na Uingereza.

..Pia kuliwahi kutokea mtafaruku wa kidiplomasia kati ya Tanzania na Marekani.

..Sina uhakika kama tulifukuziana mabalozi na Marekani, au wanadiplomasia chini ya mabalozi.

..Mwalimu Nyerere alikuwa hapendi kuyumbishwa ktk misimamo yake.

Nikiangalia na kusoma misimamo ya Nyerere halafu nikilinganisha na rais wa sasa, napata majonzi sana.

Yani Nyerere hata alipokosea unaona kabisa huyu mtu alikuwa na coherent reasoning na alijua ku articulate his vision philosophically.

Siku hizi rais anasema atawapendelea wanwake weupe, mara atawapiga mpaka shangazi zetu.

Aibu sana.

JokaKuu upo sahihi kabisa kuhusu hilo la Germany

Mwalimu alichukua hatua dhidi ya Uingereza mwaka 1965 kwa suala la Ian Smith na Rhodesia

Kwa kizazi kipya, Zimbabwe ilikuwa South Rhodesia na Zambia ilikuwa North Rhodesia.

Katika hiyo article uliyoleta Mkuu Joka, kilichonigusa sana ni kumbu kumbu ya kwanini tulivunja uhusiano na Israel.
Hata kama mtu hakubaliani na Mwalimu, lakini tukubaliane kuwa Mwalimu alichukua hatua kwa kuzingatia hoja

Mwl hakukata uhusiano na Israel kwasababu ya Uislam na Ukristo ambayo ndiyo msingi wa hoja zetu leo.
Mwl alijua huwezi kumnyooshea kidole Kaburu ukiacha Palestina wanateseka.

Yani Nyerere hata alipokosea unaona kabisa huyu mtu alikuwa na coherent reasoning na alijua ku articulate his vision philosophically.
Nimeliongelea bandiko la awali, kwamba hata kama hukubaliani na Mwalimu Nyerere kuna kitu sote tunakubaliana. Kwamba, Mwl alifahamu anazungumzia nini, alijenga hoja si vioja. Tena alijenga hoja za ushawishi.
Ndiyo maana tukiwa Taifa changa tuliheshimika sana . Old good days !

NB:

Uliyosema ni sawasawa kabisa; in fact West German walirespond kwa kubomoabomoa barabara walizokuwa wameshajenga hapo Dar na kurudisha kwao vifaa vya hospitali walivyokuwa wameleta Ocean Road. Nyerere akawaambia wachukue hata sindano walizoleta.

Bahati nzuri sana hawakubomoa Ukumbi wa Nkrumah ambao waliujenga kwa vile wakati huo ukumbi ulikuwa umeshakamilika na wakandarasi walishaondoka.

Uliyosema ni sawasawa kabisa; in fact West German walirespond kwa kubomoabomoabarabara walizokuwa wameshajenga hapo Dar na kurudisha kwao vifaa vya hospitali walivyokuwa wameleta Ocean Road. Nyerere akawaambia wachukua hata sindano walizoleta.

Bahati nzuri sana hawakubomoa Ukumbi wa Nkrumah ambao waliujenga kwa vile wakati huo ukumbi ulikuwa umeshakamilika na wakandarasi walishaondoka.
Yeah Naikumbuka hii

Uhusiano ulirudishwa tena na Chancellor Willy Brandt aliyemtembelea Mwalimu

Mwl alikuwa na misimamo isiyoyumba, alikuwa na hoja zenye mashiko na aliifahamu dunia.
Alitufanya Watanzania tukaheshimika sana pamoja na umasikini wetu. Ni zama hizo

NB:

Nikiongezea tu ni kwamba East Germany iliingia Zanzibar kwa influence ya Abdulrahman Mohamed Babu na Abdullah Kassim Hanga ambao walikuwa waumini wakubwa sana wa ukomunisti.

..kwanza nimpe shukurani mwanachama mwenzetu Shwari kwa kutuletea makala hii.

..nimeona niilete makala hii ktk jukwaa la siasa ili iweze kusomwa na wanachama wengi zaidi.

In an interview with Nawal El Saadawy of Egypt's El Mussawar first published on 19 October 1984, Mwalimu Nyerere discusses Palestine, Tanzania's relations with Libya, and Africa's economic woes.

Nyerere's name brings to my mind the names of the leaders of the 1960s: Nkrumah, Lumumba, Nehru, Tito, leaders who, with Gamal Abdel Nasser, led the two huge continents of Africa and Asia towards unity within the Non-Aligned Movement and the Organisation of African Unity. Those years were full of hope; then came the seventies to abort these hopes. Now we are in the eighties and Africa is being buffeted more and more by crises as heavy as the waves of the sea in a storm. Now the continent which is rich in natural resources suffers from problems of food supply. Nyerere rules his country, Tanzania, like the captain of a ship, steering his vessel to avoid the deep currents and the whirlpools. In doing so, he has made his country an island of stability while still continuing to be an African leader who has never stopped struggling.

When you meet him, he is as calm as the waters of Msasani Bay where he lives in Dar es Salaam, and as delicate as a poet. He also writes poetry. He is as simple as a child when he laughs, and as modest as are the truly great. When you sit with him, you yourself feel great; he never seeks to dominate you but gives you all the space in which to be yourself.

He greatly admired Nasser; they worked together for the liberation of the African continent from colonialism. Many times during the last twenty years he has played an historical role in preventing the division of the OAU.

Although his country is poor in financial resources, he has consistently refused to accept foreign aid under unacceptable conditions or at the expense of his country's independence. He rejected West German aid and turned it down for the sake of Zanzibar's independence; he sacrificed British aid for the sake of Rhodesia's independence; he continues to resist Reagan for the sake of Namibian and South African independence. And for the sake of his support for the Palestinians, he sacrifices much. During the October 1973 (Arab-Israeli) war, he spoke up against Israel and closed the Israeli embassy in Dar es Salaam. In 1974, he opened the Palestinian embassy whose flag still flies in the capital.

I sat down beside Julius Nyerere at the hour before sunset on the terrace of his house by the sea, the mango and the papaya trees and tropical flowers around us in profusion. He has lived in his own house in Dar es Salaam for the past twenty years-from soon after independence. Behind me was a blackboard where his children used to write and in the corner was a huge receiver-set through which he can follow debates in Parliament. There were no carpets on the floor; the leather-covered chairs were old. I called him "Mwalimu Nyerere" as his own people do. He is kind-hearted and has a sense of humour. He laughed frequently while commenting on the contradictions of our world. I forgot I was with a head-of-state. The hour-and-half passed by very swiftly. And so I began with my questions.

NAWAL EL SAADAWY: We have followed closely the support you have constantly given to the Arabs. You never stopped supporting Egypt even though you did not like Camp David. You have also always supported the cause of the Palestinians. How do you see their struggle?

JULIUS NYERERE:
We have never hesitated in our support for the right of the people of Palestine to have their own land. Our generation was a generation of nationalists struggling for the independence of our own countries- that is what we were there for. But the plight of the Palestinians is very different and much worse. When we were fighting for our independence, I was IN Tanzania, Kenyatta was IN Kenya. Even now, the Namibians and the South Africans are in their OWN country. But the Palestinian plight is more terrible and unjust; they have been deprived of their own country, they are a nation without a land of their own. And therefore they deserve the support of Tanzania and the entire world. The world must hear their voice and give them understanding and support.

As for supporting the Arab world, you must remember that I believe very strongly in unity. Sometimes, I am accused of supporting unity for its own sake but I believe that unity is an instrument of liberation. And the oppressed must not easily give up their unity-only the enemy can rejoice at its loss. One of my major statements on unity was made in Cairo in a speech at Cairo University in 1964. At that time, both Nasser and Nkrumah were getting impatient with the "reactionaries" in our continent but I said we should not have a confrontation with other African countries; they were a part of us and we all had to live with each other.

Many years later, when some Arab countries tried to have Egypt expelled from the OAU, I defended the unity of the OAU. We can criticize Egypt, I said, but we can never expel an African state from the OAU- where will it end? Similarly, during the Non-Aligned Summit of 1979 in Havana, there was an attempt on the part of some Arab countries to expel Egypt from the Non-Aligned Movement. I was asked to join them but I argued that Egypt was a member of the OAU and as such could not be expelled from the Non-Aligned Movement.

We will destroy the OAU, and our unity through it, if we begin expelling each other. Egypt is a vital member of the Arab world and of Africa. Sadat went too far in embracing Israel; he was alone because of this; the Arab countries felt betrayed by him. But Africa too lost Egypt-it made a tremendous difference to us, this absence of Egypt. What is the OAU without Egypt? Egypt was a pillar of the OAU, of the Non- Aligned Movement. Earlier this year, President Mubarak came to visit Tanzania, his visit was a success and I believe he is now playing an important role in the Arab world and in Africa.

NAWAL EL SAADAWY: What about your relations with Libya?

JULIUS NYERERE:
We have never cut our relations with Libya; Gaddafi got entangled in the Uganda war against us without really meaning to. Idi Amin was a good actor and pretended Uganda was a Muslim country; amazingly many other countries were also taken in by him. Uganda is not a Muslim country, it is a Christian country, almost as Christian as Southern Sudan. I tried to explain all this to Gaddafi in 1973 when I met him for the first time in Algiers during the Non-Aligned Summit. He had some very vague ideas then about Tanzania. He thought that during the revolution in Zanzibar (1964), Christians had fought against Muslims. I told him that Zanzibar was 99% Muslim and the Zanzibaris, during their revolution, had got rid of their feudalists just as he had got rid of the feudalists in Tripoli in 1969. I wanted to explain this and so get Gaddafi off that hook. He also felt that Tanzania was a Christian country because I am a Christian. But we are very mixed in Tanzania and we have three times more Muslims here than in Libya. But we are also very secular and we do not believe that politics and religion go together in that sense. During the Uganda war, I never wanted to make a big issue out of Libya's involvement in it. Since then, I have tried to get our friend Gaddafi to understand and I think he now has a greater appreciation of what is happening in this part of the world.

What about Swahili version of this

Alichojaribu mwalimu ni kumjaza pumba mzee Gaddafi, Ila Gaddafi alikua sahihi aliyokua akiyaamini.

Back
Top Bottom