Movie Review: The Mechanic

Michael Paul

JF-Expert Member
Nov 2, 2010
Movie Review

mechnk.jpg

The Mechanic

Does Statham's remake of the Bronson hitman pic hit its mark?

A remake of the 1972 movie of the same name starring Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent, The Mechanic stars Jason Statham as Arthur Bishop, a "mechanic" (elite hit man) renowned for his stealth and efficiency in eliminating targets. Bishop is a gun-for-hire for (what else?) a secretive, powerful agency connected to all the right people and institutions.

A loner whose only companionship is the occasional tryst with a hooker, the bayou-based Bishop's world is rocked when his old mentor, Harry McKenna (Donald Sutherland), is killed. Reluctantly teaming with Harry's ne'er-do-well, violent son Steve (Ben Foster), Bishop sets out to train his newfound protege in the deadly arts. Together, they'll go after the agency (led by Tony Goldwyn in the thankless "soulless official" role, but who still gets to deliver the film's most outrageously hilarious threat).

It may not be saying much, but The Mechanic is the best film director Simon West (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Con Air) has made. Infused with a smooth style and pacing perhaps resulting from its Louisiana locations, West delivers an action movie that's a lot more dramatically effective and entertaining than its trailers and tired premise would lead you to believe.

Statham seems to know he has zero range, but he's also one of the few true working action stars left and his low-talking, flat-delivery tough guy persona is actually quite fitting for a role previously played by Bronson. Statham knows how to kick ass six ways from Sunday, and he gets to do plenty of that here. He has decent enough chemistry with Foster and Sutherland, the latter essentially replaying his doomed mentor role from his last collaboration with Statham, The Italian Job. Sutherland, though, classes up most anything by his mere presence.

Foster provides viewers with his latest unhinged screen character, a sleazy but wounded soul whose alcohol consumption in this movie is almost of Barfly or Leaving Las Vegas proportions. Steve didn't necessarily love his dad, but it was still his father and he's not going to let his murder slide. His envy of Bishop being Harry's "chosen one" more than he was is explicit, but he's nevertheless enamored of Bishop's lethal skill set. Foster's first kill in the movie is an especially brutal one that literally drives home the point.

The tension between Statham and Foster is well done and gripping, but the action's the real star here over the nuances of acting and writing. West and Co. fashion a number of high-octane set-pieces, including McKenna's aforementioned first kill, a botched assault in a high-rise, and the climactic attack on the agency. While The Mechanic doesn't retool the formula of a hit man movie, it certainly serves it up better than expected.

by Jim Vejvoda

My personal review on the movie 'The Mechanic'

I loved Arthur Bishop (Statham) personality and attitude and he has been portrayed as being very intelligent to the extent knowing things in advance (such as Steve's plan of avenging the death of his father); For a man of this make i think he would have done anything to avoid the death of his mentor (Sutherland) - killing that man after showing us the scene before of how close they were was heartless, though they have hushed that by portraying him that he cared for the welfare of Steve (the son of mentor)

The opening scene in the movie has the best swaga of all the movie to me.

Tafuta movie inaitwa TAKERS, Cast kwenye hii movie ni CHRIS BROWN, HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN, MATT DILLON, MICHAEL EALY, IDRIS ELBA, STEVE HARRIS, T.I, JAY HERNANDEZ AND ZOE SALDANA.

Pia tafuta movie nyingine inaitwa I AM NUMBER FOUR you'll also love it.

Tafuta movie inaitwa TAKERS, Cast kwenye hii movie ni CHRIS BROWN, HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN, MATT DILLON, MICHAEL EALY, IDRIS ELBA, STEVE HARRIS, T.I, JAY HERNANDEZ AND ZOE SALDANA.

Pia tafuta movie nyingine inaitwa I AM NUMBER FOUR you'll also love it.

Takers is one of my collection and i love it.... Naitafuta AM NUMBER FOUR.... and i honestly believe itakua nzuri...

Takers is one of my collection and i love it.... Naitafuta AM NUMBER FOUR.... and i honestly believe itakua nzuri...
You wont regret watching it pia tafuta FAST FIVE cast waliomo kwenye hiyo movie ni VIN DIESEL, PAUL WALKER, JORDANA BREWSTER, TYRESE GIBSON, LUDACRIS. Pia movie ya PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES ya Johnny Depp

You wont regret watching it pia tafuta FAST FIVE cast waliomo kwenye hiyo movie ni VIN DIESEL, PAUL WALKER, JORDANA BREWSTER, TYRESE GIBSON, LUDACRIS. Pia movie ya PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES ya Johnny Depp

Natafuta Fast Five (in fact tomorrow am going for new movies), ila hio ya pirates of the Carribean on Stranger Tides inaniumiza kichwa mimeitafuta saana last time but i believe hio kesho i will get. Katika movie za hapa karibuni i hope you have watched London Boulevard ya Collin Farrel and Keira Knightly (you will love it), Drive Angry ya Nicholas Cage (thou imeniboa kidogo) na Here after ya Matt Damon.

Natafuta Fast Five (in fact tomorrow am going for new movies), ila hio ya pirates of the Carribean on Stranger Tides inaniumiza kichwa mimeitafuta saana last time but i believe hio kesho i will get. Katika movie za hapa karibuni i hope you have watched London Boulevard ya Collin Farrel and Keira Knightly (you will love it), Drive Angry ya Nicholas Cage (thou imeniboa kidogo) na Here after ya Matt Damon.
Hizo mbili nimeziangalia na nimezikubalia

Hizo mbili nimeziangalia na nimezikubalia

I loved hio ya Farrel nilipomaliza kuangalia nikajuta.... ilinifanya nicheck director ni nani ili next time naangalia mwisho wa movie kwanza ndo naanza kuangalia....lol... Weakness yangu i love happy endings even if it may seem like just the beginning...

The Mechanic iko so predictable, Takers well wamecopy movie nyingi na kubundle pamoja i.e The Italian Job, Heat just to name the few.

The Mechanic iko so predictable, Takers well wamecopy movie nyingi na kubundle pamoja i.e The Italian Job, Heat just to name the few.

Very interesting perspective Eqlypz... I can see where it is coming from... though never thot in those lines.

Tafuta movie inayoitwa Gangsters Paradise Jerusalema, ni filamu ya south Afrika.
Storyline

Starting off with simple smash and grabs, and petty crime, Lucky Kunene quickly graduates to more aggressive heists such as armed robbery and carjacking. Soon, Lucky realizes he needs a bigger score to fulfill his goals of making it big, and escaping from the slums, to a dream house by the sea. Kunene hatches an elaborate and violent plan to make his fortune - hijacking buildings from landlords of Johannesburg tenements by winning the favor of the tenants and then holding their rent hostage from the landowners. His high-profile real estate acquisitions attract the attention of the local police force who have no qualms about using unprovoked brutality to bring him down. His trouble with the law, coupled with an escalating war between a local drug lord, creates a tense standoff: both sides are closing in, and Kunene must stay one step ahead--or his empire, and his life, will come crashing down.
gangsters-paradise-jerusalema-movie-poster-2008-1010558152.jpg

Very interesting perspective Eqlypz... I can see where it is coming from... though never thot in those lines.
Yep, in fact if you watch closely you will realise there's a little bit of Ocean's 11, 12 & 13 as well.. nadhani The Town was the best heist movie of 2010.
Takers
takers-paul-walker-hayden-christensen-cast-michael-ealy-zoe-saldana.jpg

Ocean's 11
Oceans_Eleven01.jpg

Ocean's 12
2021413828_9061444dc7.jpg

Simkubali Ben Afleck but ukweli The town ni bora kuliko Takers.... Of all the oceans, I love Oceans 11 and Oceans 13 hio Oceans 12 naona tu walichakachua.. to the extent when i heard Oceans thirteen was coming out nilijua sitaangalia. But nilipogundua Zeta Jones atakuepo it pushed me kuangalia and i loved it.

Apart from Mechanic Bronson also acted in highly acclaimed Death Wish series.Death wish 2 is a must watch. Justifies extrajudicial killing claiming 'the law sometimes doesnt work'

Simkubali Ben Afleck but ukweli The town ni bora kuliko Takers.... Of all the oceans, I love Oceans 11 and Oceans 13 hio Oceans 12 naona tu walichakachua.. to the extent when i heard Oceans thirteen was coming out nilijua sitaangalia. But nilipogundua Zeta Jones atakuepo it pushed me kuangalia and i loved it.
Mwenyewe simzimii Ben Afleck lakini The Town was a very good movie, nice camera movement, fluid visual effects and the plot was good and easy to understand yet not so predictable. Takers on the other hand camera movement haikuwa smooth mfano camera shake kwenye foot chase ya Chris Brown na polisi.

Tukirudi kwenye The Mechanic, it's an okay movie certainly not a wow movie, nayo imekaa kama Transporter hivi labda ni mimi tu ndio ninayeona hivyo.

I Am Number Four ni movie nzuri (may be kwa sababu nampenda D.J. Caruso) good effects and fight sequence yake ni top notch especially mwishoni kwenye football field ile slo mo ilikuwa si mchezo.

Sijawahi na sinto angalia any of the Pirates of Caribbean movies so siwezi kuelezea chochote. Nasubiria X-Men na especially Transformers 3 kwa sababu I saw a big part of the shooting while I was interning for Paramount Pictures nataka kuona jinsi kila kitu kilivyowekwa pamoja.

Mwenyewe simzimii Ben Afleck lakini The Town was a very good movie, nice camera movement, fluid visual effects and the plot was good and easy to understand yet not so predictable. Takers on the other hand camera movement haikuwa smooth mfano camera shake kwenye foot chase ya Chris Brown na polisi.
Tukirudi kwenye The Mechanic, it's an okay movie certainly not a wow movie, nayo imekaa kama Transporter hivi labda ni mimi tu ndio ninayeona hivyo.
I Am Number Four ni movie nzuri (may be kwa sababu nampenda D.J. Caruso) good effects and fight sequence yake ni top notch especially mwishoni kwenye football field ile slo mo ilikuwa si mchezo.
Sijawahi na sinto angalia any of the Pirates of Caribbean movies so siwezi kuelezea chochote. Nasubiria X-Men na especially Transformers 3 kwa sababu I saw a big part of the shooting while I was interning for Paramount Pictures nataka kuona jinsi kila kitu kilivyowekwa pamoja.

Come on Eqlypz you can not like movies and do not watch the pirates of the Caribbean... what is it? Is it Jonny Depp himself or the movies itself (the first time i saw the trailer i thot NO this is not me...) but then watched it with a friend and loved it.

The Mechanic wakati inaanza ilianza kwa mkwara mzito but huku mwishoni iko poa but sio ile wow (as your expression)... TF ameni advice kuhusu am number four kind of busy but looking for it this week. I Second the movies ya X-Men and Transformers 3 (can't wait infact)

BUT hapo in RED are you pulling my leg.... Boy am impressed, jealous, .... really don't know what to say... i think HONGERA SAANA will do..

• Thanks
Reactions: 3D.