Michezo magazetini leo...

Michezo magazetini leo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny Dalglish insists Roy Hodgson 'has nothing to prove'

• Liverpool face Hodgson's West Bromwich on Saturday
• 'Everyone knows he's an excellent coach,' says Dalglish




  • Simon Burnton
  • guardian.co.uk, Thursday 31 March 2011 15.36 BST <li class="history">Article history
    The-Liverpool-manager-Ken-007.jpg
    The Liverpool manager, Kenny Dalglish, who has defended the record of his predecessor, Roy Hodgson. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images Kenny Dalglish has defended Roy Hodgson's managerial record, insisting the man he replaced as Liverpool's manager has "nothing to prove to anybody". Hodgson, now in charge at West Bromwich Albion, has his first chance to exact revenge for his sacking on Saturday when Liverpool visit The Hawthorns.
    "Roy hasn't got anything to prove to anybody," said Dalglish. "If you say he has extra motivation then you are doubting the man's integrity and implying he never had enough motivation before.
    "It's Liverpool versus West Brom and we'll face a team that has been prepared by Roy. I don't have a problem with that. It'll be nice to see him again."
    Hodgson's six-month spell at Anfield ended in January after 31 games in charge, making him the most short-lived appointment in the club's history. He was hired by West Bromwich in February, replacing Roberto Di Matteo, and his new club are unbeaten in his four games in charge.
    "Roy brings his own management style to the club and they have done well since he went in there. We are looking forward to the game. I have great respect for him, as I said when I came in here, and that isn't going to change now that we are playing against each other.
    "So for me, the game is about Liverpool against West Brom and that's the way I'll go into it. I'll see an old friend of mine standing in the opposite dugout. Everyone knows he's an excellent coach so we know what to expect. We know how they will play so it's up to us to be better than them on the day."
 
Ryo Ishikawa to give 2011 golf earnings to Japan disaster victims

&#8226; 'I have enough money,' says Japanese golfer
&#8226; Ishikawa aiming to raise £1.5m for charity



  • Agencies
  • guardian.co.uk, Thursday 31 March 2011 11.12 BST <li class="history">Article history
    The-Japanese-golfer-Ryo-I-007.jpg
    Ryo Ishikawa, who is hoping to raise £1.5m for victims of the earthquake and tsunami in his native Japan. Photograph: Scott Miller/Reuters Ryo Ishikawa, the world No45, has announced that he will be giving all of his tournament earnings this year to the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in his native Japan.
    Kyodo News has reported that the 19-year-old Ishikawa is also pledging 100,000 yen (£750) for every birdie he makes. If he plays similar to last year, Ishikawa could wind up giving more than £1.25m toward relief efforts.
    "I feel thrilled," he said. "My goal is 200m yen [£1.5m]. I have enough money to spend for my golf. I still have savings. I believe this is the most positive way for me to spend money."
    He was No3 on the Japan golf tour money list in 2010, making just over £1.1m, which includes his earnings from the PGA majors and the World Golf Championship. He led the tour by making 341 birdies last year, which would add up to another £255,750.
    Ishikawa won his first pro tournament as a 15-year-old amateur and has earned more than 100m yen each year since turning professional in 2008, aged 16.

 
Andy Murray without coach but set to enter Monte Carlo Masters

&#8226; Scot considers former world No1 Ivan Lendl as new coach
&#8226; Murray parted company with Alex Corretja on Tuesday



  • Kevin Mitchell
  • guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 30 March 2011 20.39 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Andy-Murray-007.jpg
    Andy Murray has had a poor start to the season and needs a new coach to improve his fortunes. Photograph: James D Morgan/Rex Features Andy Murray, still to choose his next coach after a dismal start to the season, is almost certain to play in the Monte Carlo Masters 1000, which starts on 10 April.
    Murray, who split with his part-time coach of three years, Alex Corretja, on Tuesday, has stayed in Miami, the scene of his latest early defeat in straight sets, and has had talks with at least two candidates, one of whom is believed to be the former world No1 Ivan Lendl, a Florida resident. Murray will return to London next week, to confirm his entry to Queen's in June.
    Murray, who will not be overly buoyed by the technical restoration of his world No4 ranking on Monday, needs a quick fix to restore his confidence before the clay-court season. Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic will head a strong field in Monte Carlo, before moving on to Barcelona the following week.
    Murray is at his most content when on court and he accepted a late invitation to Monte Carlo last year after a similarly dreadful start to the season. He was beaten in 61 minutes by Philipp Kohlschreiber but had shaken off his blues by the time Wimbledon started. He is expected to decide on a new coach soon &#8211; it will not be the former British No1 Tim Henman, who ruled himself out on Tuesday.
    Murray, who is a big boxing fan, took time out from tennis to visit the 5th St Gym in Miami Beach, where Angelo Dundee trained Muhammad Ali, to watch the Londoner David Haye prepare for his world heavyweight title fight with Wladimir Klitschko.

 
Andy Murray without coach but set to enter Monte Carlo Masters

• Scot considers former world No1 Ivan Lendl as new coach
• Murray parted company with Alex Corretja on Tuesday



  • Kevin Mitchell
  • guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 30 March 2011 20.39 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Andy-Murray-007.jpg
    Andy Murray has had a poor start to the season and needs a new coach to improve his fortunes. Photograph: James D Morgan/Rex Features Andy Murray, still to choose his next coach after a dismal start to the season, is almost certain to play in the Monte Carlo Masters 1000, which starts on 10 April.
    Murray, who split with his part-time coach of three years, Alex Corretja, on Tuesday, has stayed in Miami, the scene of his latest early defeat in straight sets, and has had talks with at least two candidates, one of whom is believed to be the former world No1 Ivan Lendl, a Florida resident. Murray will return to London next week, to confirm his entry to Queen's in June.
    Murray, who will not be overly buoyed by the technical restoration of his world No4 ranking on Monday, needs a quick fix to restore his confidence before the clay-court season. Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic will head a strong field in Monte Carlo, before moving on to Barcelona the following week.
    Murray is at his most content when on court and he accepted a late invitation to Monte Carlo last year after a similarly dreadful start to the season. He was beaten in 61 minutes by Philipp Kohlschreiber but had shaken off his blues by the time Wimbledon started. He is expected to decide on a new coach soon – it will not be the former British No1 Tim Henman, who ruled himself out on Tuesday.
    Murray, who is a big boxing fan, took time out from tennis to visit the 5th St Gym in Miami Beach, where Angelo Dundee trained Muhammad Ali, to watch the Londoner David Haye prepare for his world heavyweight title fight with Wladimir Klitschko.
 
Craig Whyte's takeover of Rangers moves a step closer to completion

&#8226; Businessman set to buy 75% of Sir David Murray's shares
&#8226; Agreement over Rangers' debt reached with Lloyds Bank



  • Ewan Murray
  • guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 30 March 2011 14.26 BST <li class="history">Article history
    craig-whyte-007.jpg
    Craig Whyte's proposed takeover of Rangers moved a step closer after an agreement was reached over the club's debt. Photograph: Andrew Milligan/PA Craig Whyte is poised to make a formal offer to take control of Rangers within days, after a significant hurdle in the businessman's protracted bid to buy a majority stake in the Ibrox club was negotiated.
    Whyte has agreed a package with the Lloyds Banking Group to clear the debt, thought to be about £21m, owed to them by Rangers. A further Rangers loan of £4m with Lloyds will be taken on and paid back in instalments if the takeover goes ahead. Whyte held talks with the Rangers board on Tuesday evening, with the manager Walter Smith also in attendance.
    The 39-year-old Whyte is therefore closing in on a deal to purchase David Murray's 85% interest in the Scottish club, a move which has been on the cards since the pair first entered talks last November. Reports have suggested Murray will seek £6m for his stake, the same figure he paid to buy Rangers in 1988. All parties have insisted, though, that no such figure has been offered or agreed to.
    Andrew Ellis, who had initially planned a buy-out of Murray on his own, is expected to be handed 25% of the shares bought by Whyte.
    Rangers have been firmly in the grip of Lloyds since the bank looked to halt heavy borrowing by Murray International Holdings (MIH), which is essentially the football club's parent company. Until separation between Rangers and MIH is ensured, cost-cutting will remain in place at Ibrox; if the Whyte deal collapses at the last minute, it is estimated £1m will need to be shaved from Rangers' wage bill this summer. Whyte's plan includes core transfer funding of £25m, spread over five seasons.
    Rangers have been delaying the publication of their annual accounts as the takeover edges closer. Club chairman Alastair Johnston has hoped to back up the figures, which are due to be revealed on Thursday in showing a debt reduction of £6m from £27m, with concrete information for supporters regarding the Whyte deal.
    One not insignificant matter which remains unresolved is an ongoing investigation by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs relating to offshore, employee benefit trust payments made by Rangers to players.
    Sources close to the Whyte camp remain relaxed over that affair, with one possibility that MIH will agree to indemnify Rangers in the event of a penalty &#8211; which could reach millions of pounds &#8211;being forthcoming.

 
Mixu Paatelainen leaves Kilmarnock to take charge of Finland

&#8226; Paatelainen leaves after less than a season at Rugby Park
&#8226; Assistant manager Kenny Shiels takes temporary charge



  • Press Association
  • guardian.co.uk, Thursday 31 March 2011 13.43 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Mixu-Paatelainen-007.jpg
    The former Kilmarnock manager Mixu Paatelainen, who has left the club to take charge of his native Finland. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images Mixu Paatelainen has left Kilmarnock with immediate effect to take over as manager of Finland, the Scottish Premier League club have confirmed. Paatelainen, who also held talks with managerless Scunthorpe, scored 18 goals in 70 appearances for his country and is Finland's 12th most-capped player and fifth-highest goalscorer.
    The assistant manager, Kenny Shiels, will take control of team affairs following the departure of the 44-year-old. Paatelainen, who joined Kilmarnock only last June and has guided a team that only narrowly avoided relegation last season to fifth place in the league, is expected to be unveiled in his new position at a press conference later today.
    A statement from Kilmarnock read: "Following careful consideration, Mixu has decided that the honour of managing his national team is one which he cannot refuse. He will take up his duties with the Finnish FA with immediate effect. Assistant first-team coach Kenny Shiels will take charge of the club's preparations for its forthcoming matches."
    The Kilmarnock chairman, Michael Johnston, added: "I wish to record my personal thanks to Mixu for the manner in which he has conducted himself throughout his time at Kilmarnock, always positive, open to discussion and never complaining of any lack of resources, and to wish him every success in his new role as national team manager of Finland."
    Shiels was disappointed to learn of Paatelainen's departure but understood his reasons for quitting. "I've lost a good colleague," he said. "I'm disappointed on that front but I'm also happy for him that he can manage his country, which is a fantastic honour. It's a good moment for him."

 
Mixu Paatelainen leaves Kilmarnock to take charge of Finland

• Paatelainen leaves after less than a season at Rugby Park
• Assistant manager Kenny Shiels takes temporary charge



  • Press Association
  • guardian.co.uk, Thursday 31 March 2011 13.43 BST <li class="history">Article history
    Mixu-Paatelainen-007.jpg
    The former Kilmarnock manager Mixu Paatelainen, who has left the club to take charge of his native Finland. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images Mixu Paatelainen has left Kilmarnock with immediate effect to take over as manager of Finland, the Scottish Premier League club have confirmed. Paatelainen, who also held talks with managerless Scunthorpe, scored 18 goals in 70 appearances for his country and is Finland's 12th most-capped player and fifth-highest goalscorer.
    The assistant manager, Kenny Shiels, will take control of team affairs following the departure of the 44-year-old. Paatelainen, who joined Kilmarnock only last June and has guided a team that only narrowly avoided relegation last season to fifth place in the league, is expected to be unveiled in his new position at a press conference later today.
    A statement from Kilmarnock read: "Following careful consideration, Mixu has decided that the honour of managing his national team is one which he cannot refuse. He will take up his duties with the Finnish FA with immediate effect. Assistant first-team coach Kenny Shiels will take charge of the club's preparations for its forthcoming matches."
    The Kilmarnock chairman, Michael Johnston, added: "I wish to record my personal thanks to Mixu for the manner in which he has conducted himself throughout his time at Kilmarnock, always positive, open to discussion and never complaining of any lack of resources, and to wish him every success in his new role as national team manager of Finland."
    Shiels was disappointed to learn of Paatelainen's departure but understood his reasons for quitting. "I've lost a good colleague," he said. "I'm disappointed on that front but I'm also happy for him that he can manage his country, which is a fantastic honour. It's a good moment for him."
 
Israel defeats Georgia 1-0 in Euro 2012 qualifier


storypage_APlogo_01.png




PRINT RSS

0

Updated Mar 29, 2011 3:52 PM ET
Tal Ben Haim's second-half goal gave Israel a 1-0 victory over Georgia on Tuesday to boost the team's hopes of qualifying for the 2012 European Championship.

Sat., Mar. 26
Georgia 1-0 Croatia | Recap
Malta 0-1 Greece | Recap
Israel 2-1 Latvia | Recap
Tue., Mar. 29
Israel 1-0 Georgia | Recap

The defender struck in the 59th minute at a packed Bloomfield Stadium to lead Israel to its second win in four days, after the 2-1 victory over Latvia on Saturday.
Israel rose to third in Group F, level on 10 points with Croatia but trailing on goal difference. Greece leads with 11 points.
Chelsea midfielder Yossi Benayoun made his first appearance since injuring his Achilles in September, coming on as a 71st-minute substitute as a resolute Israel wore down the Eastern Europeans.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Discussions

Back
Top Bottom