Michezo magazetini leo...

Michezo magazetini leo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redknapp hoping for top-four 'miracle'


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS



Updated Feb 22, 2011 6:45 AM ET
Harry Redknapp claims it would be a "miracle" if Spurs finish above Chelsea and Manchester City to qualify for next season's Champions League.
Redknapp's side currently sit in fourth position in the Premier League and will leapfrog Manchester City into third with a win over Blackpool at Bloomfield Road on Tuesday night.

Sun., Feb. 20
West Brom 1-1 Wolves | Recap
Tue., Feb. 22
Blackpool vs. Tottenham
Wed., Feb. 23
Arsenal vs. Stoke City
Sat., Feb. 26
Aston Villa vs. Blackburn
Everton vs. Sunderland
Newcastle vs. Bolton
Wigan vs. Man Utd
Wolves vs. Blackpool
BPL Scores | Table | Fixtures


The north London outfit have seamlessly taken to the task of juggling domestic and European commitments this year, beating AC Milan and Inter Milan to get within touching distance of the last eight in what is their first appearance in the Champions League.
Whilst Chelsea and Manchester City both broke the bank to bring in the likes of Fernando Torres and Edin Dzeko last month, Redknapp spent just £4.5million on acquiring South African duo Steven Pienaar and Bongani Khumalo.
That, Redknapp insists, means that Spurs should be looking at Champions League qualification as a bonus, rather than as a necessity.
"It would be a miracle if we did qualified," Redknapp said. "I think people get carried away thinking Tottenham should be in the Champions League. Why should we be in the Champions League?
"We'd never been in the Champions League before, suddenly we do it and it's 'oh well we should do it again'.
"Look at Man City and Chelsea's wage bill. Have a look at the money they pay out. Why should we finish above them?
"If you'd have asked me at the start of the year, I'd have put my life on City with the strength they've got with Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli.
"Then I would have said Man United and Arsenal were nailed on and Chelsea too so I think that if we make the top four it'll be a fantastic achievement for the players."
David Beckham left Tottenham on Monday to return to the United States after a six-week training spell with the club.
Beckham had hoped to play for Spurs but negotiations with his parent club, the Los Angeles Galaxy, broke down and the England midfielder will start pre-season training in LA later this week.
The 35-year-old is expected to leave the Galaxy when his contract expires and Redknapp admits he could come back to Tottenham.
When asked whether he thought Beckham would be open to a return to the club, the 63-year-old replied: "Yes, I think he would like to see what the future holds for him - he's a busy lad, his life must be unbelievable, but when you get a lad who wants to come here and train every day when he could be sitting at home having a month's rest, it tells you everything about him. He loves football.
"He's been great to have around the place and he's just a top-class bloke, a proper good lad. He's welcome back any time.
"He can still play, he still pick a pass out. I've not looked into bringing him back in November - the chairman would need to look at that, I don't know what the financial side of it would be - I wouldn't have a clue how much it would cost."
Redknapp has warned his side that they must put last Tuesday's momentous 1-0 win at the San Siro behind them and ready themselves for a tough match against Blackpool.
The Seasiders have made many friends in their first appearance in top-flight football since 1971, mainly because of manager Ian Holloway's personality and his commitment to playing attacking football.
The club sit two points outside of the drop zone and if they are able to stay up, Redknapp believes Holloway should be rewarded with the manager of the year crown he won last season.
"The job Ian Holloway has done there has been amazing, he has been great for the Premier League, a breath of fresh air," Redknapp said.
"Everybody looked at them at the start of the year and said they would be lucky if they got 20 points, and they have passed that.
"They have a big chance of staying up and if he does that he should be manager of the year."
 
Nasri puts contract talks on ice


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS

36 comments »

Updated Feb 22, 2011 6:38 AM ET
Samir Nasri is happy to put contract talks with Arsenal on hold until the end of the season - and believes the 'time is now' to win a trophy.
France international Nasri has been one of Arsenal's most influential performers this term as the club seek to secure silverware for the first time since 2005.

Sun., Feb. 20
West Brom 1-1 Wolves | Recap
Tue., Feb. 22
Blackpool vs. Tottenham
Wed., Feb. 23
Arsenal vs. Stoke City
Sat., Feb. 26
Aston Villa vs. Blackburn
Everton vs. Sunderland
Newcastle vs. Bolton
Wigan vs. Man Utd
Wolves vs. Blackpool
BPL Scores | Table | Fixtures


His form has seen the 23-year-old linked with a move to UEFA Champions League opponents Barcelona - and Nasri only has a further season to run on his current contract.
The midfielder's agent recently suggested that he would be willing to extend his stay at Emirates Stadium - and Nasri certainly does not want to leave the club until he has collected a winners' medal.
"We promised each other to speak about this subject after the season ends," Nasri told Sport magazine. "One of the reasons I came to Arsenal was to win titles and I'm not expecting to leave without one."
Nasri admits he is flattered to be linked with other clubs, but stressed he is happy to be part of Arsene Wenger's team, who will face Birmingham City in the Carling Cup final on Sunday.
He added: "I'm always flattered when my name is mentioned in connection with any big club.
"But I also know how things work. I don't think about these things. If there was any offer it would be different, then I would have to make a choice.
"As things are right now, I feel happy here and I have the confidence from the manager.
"But things can change quickly in football and then we could have a new situation.
"It takes time for a team to develop into a winning side, but I think the time is right now.
 
Agger 'enjoying' run for Reds


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS



Updated Feb 22, 2011 8:15 AM ET
Daniel Agger has admitted his frustration at the injury problems which have plagued his career - but has grown to cope with the setbacks.
The former Brondby centre-back has been a Liverpool first-team regular since Kenny Dalglish took charge in January, but that has not always been the case.

Sun., Feb. 20
West Brom 1-1 Wolves | Recap
Tue., Feb. 22
Blackpool vs. Tottenham
Wed., Feb. 23
Arsenal vs. Stoke City
Sat., Feb. 26
Aston Villa vs. Blackburn
Everton vs. Sunderland
Newcastle vs. Bolton
Wigan vs. Man Utd
Wolves vs. Blackpool
BPL Scores | Table | Fixtures


Agger has suffered from a succession of injuries since arriving in England in 2006 and in the first half of this season he suffered from a serious calf problem.
The 26-year-old missed Thursday's Europa League meeting with Sparta Prague due to a groin complaint, but he is expected to be fit for this week's return leg and does not let his injuries cause the same mental impact as they did in the past.
Agger told the Liverpool Echo: "Nobody was more frustrated than me with my injuries.
"I've learnt to live with it now. I've definitely learnt to be happier and enjoy it more when I'm fit because I don't know if my body's not built to play football, or if I'm unlucky, I don't know.
"I don't get small injuries, just big ones. That's the problem which keeps me out for a long time, so maybe it's down to luck."
Liverpool will welcome Sparta Prague to Anfield with the last-32 tie scoreline poised at 0-0 following the dreadfully dull first leg in the Czech Republic.
Agger is expecting a more attacking mindset from his club in the return meeting, as he said: "We will approach Thursday like we do every home game.
"Try to get forward and keep the ball, playing attacking football, and at Anfield if we play well, it will be difficult for every team.
"So we've got a good chance, but it's not easy, it's never easy in the knockout stages."
 
Yaya: City can overtake Barca


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS



Updated Feb 22, 2011 10:39 AM ET
Yaya Toure believes Manchester City could become a better side than Barcelona if they "continue to work hard and improve with every game".
Blues midfielder Toure, a former star at the Nou Camp, believes that continued investment from City's owners will eventually see Roberto Mancini's side prove more than a match for Pep Guardiola's La Liga pacesetters.

Sun., Feb. 20
West Brom 1-1 Wolves | Recap
Tue., Feb. 22
Blackpool vs. Tottenham
Wed., Feb. 23
Arsenal vs. Stoke City
Sat., Feb. 26
Aston Villa vs. Blackburn
Everton vs. Sunderland
Newcastle vs. Bolton
Wigan vs. Man Utd
Wolves vs. Blackpool
BPL Scores | Table | Fixtures


"You cannot compare Barcelona with City right now because Barca are at the top and have top-quality players," he told The Sun.
"They have Leo Messi, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Dani Alves, who are fantastic. But we are still signing new players.
"In a couple of years we could be better than Barcelona. What we need to do is continue to work hard and improve with every game.
"I keep saying to my brother Kolo and my family that City have great players but we need to continue to work hard to become great."
City currently lie third in the Premier League table, eight points behind leaders Manchester United having played a game more than their rivals.
They are also in the last 16 of the FA Cup and the last 32 of the Europa League.
But Toure, 27, insists the club's only target this campaign is to secure Champions League qualification.
The Ivory Coast international continued: "Our target is still to be in the Champions League next year - that is very important for this club.
"But it will be tough to stay in there because Liverpool are coming and I'm sure Chelsea will be back."
 
TP: Potters must be switched on


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS



Updated Feb 22, 2011 11:54 AM ET
Stoke boss Tony Pulis has warned his players they face a potential hiding at Arsenal on Wednesday night if they are not "switched on."
Pulis is happy to admit Arsenal are in a different class, in particular after viewing last week's stunning Champions League win over Barcelona up close.

Sun., Feb. 20
West Brom 1-1 Wolves | Recap
Tue., Feb. 22
Blackpool vs. Tottenham
Wed., Feb. 23
Arsenal vs. Stoke City
Sat., Feb. 26
Aston Villa vs. Blackburn
Everton vs. Sunderland
Newcastle vs. Bolton
Wigan vs. Man Utd
Wolves vs. Blackpool
BPL Scores | Table | Fixtures


Ignoring the shock FA Cup draw at Leyton Orient on Sunday when boss Arsene Wenger fielded a weakened side, Pulis knows the Frenchman is likely to parade his strongest possible line-up on Wednesday as the Gunners look to close the gap at the top of the table to one point on leaders Manchester United
"I went to their game with Barcelona, and it was a fantastic game," said Pulis, whose side visit the Emirates Stadium for what is a rearranged fixture that was initially postponed before Christmas due to bad weather.
"For all of Barcelona's dominance, and they were very dominant at times, Arsenal still had very good chances. Robin van Persie could have scored a hat-trick.
"Arsenal will be delighted to be 2-1 ahead and heading out for the return with a great opportunity of going through. It means the second game will be a great one.
"But in watching that game I can say we're not on their level, I think everybody accepts that.
"So we just have to go there and do our best, and that's what we'll do.
"We have to be switched on. It's a game we know will be very, very difficult, even if we play at our best. If we don't, then we're in trouble."
Although Stoke sit in a relatively comfortable 10th place in the table, they are still far from safe as they are only six points above the relegation zone.
Aside from an FA Cup quarter-final tie at home to West Ham, Pulis' main concern now is ploughing through the 40-point barrier that is often viewed as the target required for safety.
With Stoke seven points shy at present, Pulis added: "I've said to the players we've a great opportunity now at the back end of this season.
"Although we've some very tough games in the Premier League coming up, we have to get the 40 points, that's massively important for us.

The home of the best LIVE soccer and rugby awaits at FoxSoccer.tv -- don't miss a second of the action.

"The basis of the Premier League is that you have to get to those 40 points as quick as you can because no-one is safe.
"Just look at the table and some of the teams below us who have been in this league for a long time and have more experience than us.
"It shows you have no God-given right to be anywhere and accept anything other than the fact you have to get those 40 points as quickly as you can."
The match is Stoke's first against Arsenal since a 3-1 home defeat a year ago, a game sadly remembered for Ryan Shawcross' challenge on Aaron Ramsey that left the young midfielder with a broken leg.
It was a tackle that infuriated Wenger at the time who in the aftermath claimed it was "horrendous."
Ramsey has since recovered, although he will not be involved as he is currently on loan with npower Championship side Cardiff as he continues to build up his fitness.
In addressing the situation back in December, Pulis admitted then Shawcross would not be affected by any potential abuse from the Arsenal fans, with that viewpoint unlikely to have altered since.
As captain, Shawcross will lead out a side likely to be missing Matthew Etherington, who has sustained a back injury understood to be linked to a defect in his jawline.
Asmir Begovic will return in goal ahead of Thomas Sorensen, while Dean Whitehead is due to figure after being rested as an unused substitute for Saturday's 3-0 FA Cup fifth-round win over Brighton.
 
Hammer Keane out for a month


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS

0 comments »

Updated Feb 22, 2011 8:21 AM ET
West Ham loan star Robbie Keane will miss at least a month because of a calf injury, while Matthew Upson's injury has been 'overplayed'.

The home of the best LIVE soccer and rugby awaits at FoxSoccer.tv -- don't miss a second of the action.

The 30-year-old missed the 5-1 FA Cup fifth-round win over Burnley and is a major doubt for Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia in March.
Better news for the Hammers comes in the form of Upson, who seems set to quash reports he will not play again this season.
First-team coach Wally Downes said: "The problems with Matthew have certainly been overplayed in the media.
"He's just had a scan, the same most players have every now and again. If you scan any footballer at any time, you will find something wrong with them. The medical people are so thorough nowadays."
 
Bannan vows to fight for place


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS

0 comments »

Updated Feb 22, 2011 11:58 AM ET
Barry Bannan is prepared to fight for a place at Aston Villa rather than go out on loan, saying: "I'm good enough to play for this club."
Scotland international Bannan impressed Villa boss Gerard Houllier during the early part of his reign.

Sun., Feb. 20
West Brom 1-1 Wolves | Recap
Tue., Feb. 22
Blackpool vs. Tottenham
Wed., Feb. 23
Arsenal vs. Stoke City
Sat., Feb. 26
Aston Villa vs. Blackburn
Everton vs. Sunderland
Newcastle vs. Bolton
Wigan vs. Man Utd
Wolves vs. Blackpool
BPL Scores | Table | Fixtures


But the arrival of Jean Makoun and Michael Bradley last month, plus the return to fitness of Stiliyan Petrov and Nigel Reo-Coker, served to intensify competition.
Bannan, 21, said: "I've had loan spells before at Derby and then last season at Blackpool which was brilliant for me.
"But I don't really want to go out on loan again. Now I've played in the Premier League, I think I'm good enough to play for this club.
"You want to be playing every week but I'm still young and I've had a good few first-team games already this season.
"I wouldn't say I'm frustrated but, after a taste of it, I want more."
Bannan, who recently signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract, added: "The gaffer has been brilliant with me and kept my head up.
"He let me know I'm a big part of his plans. He didn't have to go out of his way to do that, but he has which was reassuring.
"I know I've come a long way in a short space of time."
 
Nelsen: I'll end career at Ewood


RivalsDM



PRINT RSS



Updated Feb 22, 2011 8:26 AM ET
Blackburn captain Ryan Nelsen has vowed to accelerate through the finish line of his Rovers career - and 'loves the atmosphere' at Ewood Park.

The home of the best LIVE soccer and rugby awaits at FoxSoccer.tv -- don't miss a second of the action.

The 33-year-old New Zealand defender recently signed a contract extension to keep him at Ewood Park until 2013 - and is keen to repay the faith the club have shown in him.
He said: "I want to see out my contract here. The club has been extremely good to me. I love the fans and the atmosphere here.
"My philosophy is I will give everything and put everything in until I can't. Until my body packs in or I am told I am not good enough to be around.
"Whether that be next week, it could be next week, or whether it is two years I will just keep doing that. I can't see myself going anywhere else, not in England now to tell you the truth.
"I don't think I could feel comfortable playing for another club now, having put so much time and effort into Blackburn. It just wouldn't sit right."
 
Defender Evra signs Man United deal until 2014


storypage_APlogo_01.png




PRINT RSS



Updated Feb 21, 2011 8:56 AM ET
Manchester United defender Patrice Evra has a signed a contract extension through the 2013-14 season.
The 29-year-old Frenchman has made 226 appearances since joining United in January 2006, winning three Premier League titles and the Champions League.

The home of the best LIVE soccer and rugby awaits at FoxSoccer.tv -- don't miss a second of the action.

"Patrice is unquestionably one of the world's best left backs," United manager Alex Ferguson said Monday. "He has developed into a key character in the dressing room and it is great that he has committed himself to the club.
"His experience and skill will be increasingly important to us."
The former Monaco player said he chose to stay at Old Trafford to win more titles.
"The fans, the players, the manager and the staff all work hard to make this club the best in the world," Evra said on United's website. "I have won a lot in the last five years, but I want to win more."
 
Beckham exits Tottenham with pie and mash lunch


storypage_APlogo_01.png




PRINT RSS

9 comments »

Updated Feb 21, 2011 2:25 PM ET
Before returning to Los Angeles, David Beckham treated Tottenham's staff and players to a traditional English meal on his last day of training with the club.

The home of the best LIVE soccer and rugby awaits at FoxSoccer.tv -- don't miss a second of the action.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says Beckham had meat pies and mashed potatoes delivered to the club's training ground in east London from "somewhere up the road, and we all tucked in."
Redknapp, who was brought up on the dish in London's East End, says "some of the foreign lads were not too sure what to make of pie and mash so we had their portions."
Beckham had to settle for training with the club after a full loan deal was blocked by the Los Angeles Galaxy.
The Galaxy start the Major League Soccer season against the Seattle Sounders on March 15.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Discussions

Back
Top Bottom