Kenya unveils new mobile money transfer service

Ehud

JF-Expert Member
Feb 12, 2008
By JAMES RATEMO

Kenyans can now operate a mobile money account without necessarily owning a mobile phone.

This follows the launch of a new mobile money transfer service dubbed "Tangaza" by Mobile Pay Limited. It also enables one to directly buy or sell stocks at the Nairobi Stock Exchange, right from the mobile platform.

Officially unveiling the new service yesterday, Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) Governor Njuguna Ndung'u said the move will see many more Kenyans access mobile banking services cheaply and conveniently.

Uniquely, the service operates across all the existing mobile phone networks, meaning mobile phone users can register their sim cards for the service irrespective of their network.

Users can also register for accounts without necessarily having a mobile phone. They will, however, have to link the account with their simcards to allow accessing the account via the mobile phone.

"The service has already been piloted and seen it can work," Prof Ndung'u said. He said the mobile money transfer service in Kenya has so far witnessed massive economic benefits with subscribers across all the mobile networks standing at 15.4 million.
He said CBK will continue working with Communication Commission of Kenya, the Ministry of Information and other relevant authorities to ensure the mobile services are fraud free and cost-friendly. Statistics show that on the mobile money platform Sh2.45 billion a day is transacted daily.

DIGITAL ASSISTANT

Like other existing money transfer services, the Tangaza Money Transfer lets people send and receive money instantaneously using their mobile phones or a personal digital assistant (PDA) held by an agent.

Recipients receive text messages when they are sent money and can collect it from any of its agents spread across the country. However, unlike other existing operators, the new system ensures subscribers register their details, photographs and fingerprints and thereafter are only required to place the finger on a finger print reader without necessarily having to produce an identity card.

As a security measure too, the subscribers register a unique pin (Personal Identification Number), for authorising transactions. This is expected to radically reduce transaction costs and guarantee better access to the illiterate and those who do not own mobile phones. In the existing mobile money transfer services subscribers are required to produce identification documents before they can be allowed to transact.

"Tangaza has the best security features locally due to the fact that we know our customers as we have all the identification details including their photograph and finger prints," said Mobile Pay's Managing Director Oscar Ikinu. He said once registered, subscribers will not have to produce any identification document or mobile phones to withdraw.

My Take: Wakenya wanakuja juu sana kwenye mambo ya innovation hasa upande wa mobile & finance. Sasa transaction ya mobile inaweza kuwa kwenda mtandao wowote na sio lazima voda-voda au tigo-tigo. Wakati umefika na sisi kuamka na kuonesha kweli tunaweza kushindana hasa kwa kutilia maanani soko la EAC vinginevyo hawa jamaa watatufanya watunza bustani wao.

The Standard | Online Edition :: Kenya unveils new mobile money transfer service

By JAMES RATEMO

Kenyans can now operate a mobile money account without necessarily owning a mobile phone.

My Take: Wakenya wanakuja juu sana kwenye mambo ya ubunifu na innovation hasa upande wa mobile & finance. Sasa transaction ya mobile inaweza kuwa kwenda mtandao wowote na sio lazima voda-voda au tigo-tigo. Wakati umefika na sisi kuamka na kuonesha kweli tunaweza kushindana hasa kwa kutilia maanani soko la EAC vinginevyo hawa jamaa watatufanya watunza bustani wao.

The Standard | Online Edition :: Kenya unveils new mobile money transfer service

Kaka hizo nyekundu hizo zina maana toufauti?

Kenya and Rwanda will lead when EAC start wakina sie tutakuwa bado tunahangaika na chuki zisizoisha...........

Kaka hizo nyekundu hizo zina maana toufauti?

Kenya and Rwanda will lead when EAC start wakina sie tutakuwa bado tunahangaika na chuki zisizoisha...........

tunahangaika na ufisadi unaovumiliwa, kuendeshwa na kufadhiliwa na viongozi wetu,

tunahangaika na ufisadi unaovumiliwa, kuendeshwa na kufadhiliwa na viongozi wetu,

Hizo ndio chuki zenyewe hao wanaopiga kelele ni kwasababu hatujawapa fursa mnakumbuka jinsi Mwai Kibaki alipokuwa kwenye muungano wa upinzani aliahidi katiba mpya Kenya lakini alipoingia madarakani ilibidi watu wafe ndio Kenya ikaingia kwenye mchakato wa katiba mpya ila nadhani bila ile damu kumwagika Serikali isingetoa Katiba mpya nina wasiwasi sana na watu wanaoitwa "wanasiasa".

waende zao, and so wat?

hute I think we should replace the 'U' in your name with an 'A'... we learning from each other, not boasting or gloating, we have emulated alot from you people and other African countries, its the only way foward. If you let hate cloud your vision, then you'll stay mark-timing.

hute I think we should replace the 'U' in your name with an 'A'... we learning from each other, not boasting or gloating, we have emulated alot from you people and other African countries, its the only way foward. If you let hate cloud your vision, then you'll stay mark-timing.

The only difference is :

While other people in a neighboring country are busy politikign hard, other people are also busy @ work milking ca$h through innovation, unlike in Tanzania where everyone is busy politiking hard these days and no one is hardly innovating anything...

This is not bungee-jumping, we seriously need to find a balance real quick or else we are in for a big free-fall....

The only difference is :

While other people in a neighboring country are busy politikign hard, other people are also busy @ work milking ca$h through innovation, unlike in Tanzania where everyone is busy politiking hard these days and no one is hardly innovating anything...

I think we need to find a balance....

Kaka, nikiangalia baadhi ya matatizo yaliop ambayo ni very basic na ni rahisi sana kuyatatua, naeza kusema safely kuwa nchi hii na watu wake wana laana.

It can't get worse than this 4 sure.

Kaka, nikiangalia baadhi ya matatizo yaliop ambayo ni very basic na ni rahisi sana kuyatatua, naeza kusema safely kuwa nchi hii na watu wake wana laana.

It can't get worse than this 4 sure.

Mkuu, kuna kitu inaitwa dira ya taifa ndio tumekipoteza, sasa hivi hatujui majukumu yetu wenyewe ni yapi na majukumu ya serikali ni yapi (hii ni kwa viongozi na wananchi.) Kila mtu ameshajikatia tamaa ndio maana kila anayepata kajinafasi kidogo mahala kitu cha kwanza anachofikiria ni wizi tu....

Brandon started a company in Berlin, Pennsylvania that specializes
in a new kind of drilling technology. One day last summer, he saw the
news that halfway across the world, 33 men were trapped in a Chilean
mine, and no one knew how to save them.
But Brandon thought his company could help. And so he designed a
rescue that would come to be known as Plan B. His employees worked
around the clock to manufacture the necessary drilling equipment. And
Brandon left for Chile.

Along with others, he began drilling a 2,000 foot hole into the
ground, working three or four days at a time with no sleep.
Thirty-seven days later, Plan B succeeded, and the miners were
rescued. But because he didn't want all of the attention, Brandon
wasn't there when the miners emerged. He had already gone home, back
to work on his next project.

Later, one of his employees said of the rescue, "We proved that
Center Rock is a little company, but we do big things."

We do big things.

From the earliest days of our founding, America has been the story
of ordinary people who dare to dream. That's how we win the future.

We are a nation that says, "I might not have a lot of money, but I
have this great idea for a new company. I might not come from a family
of college graduates, but I will be the first to get my degree. I
might not know those people in trouble, but I think I can help them,
and I need to try. I'm not sure how we'll reach that better place
beyond the horizon, but I know we'll get there. I know we will."

We do big things.

The idea of America endures. Our destiny remains our choice. And
tonight, more than two centuries later, it is because of our people
that our future is hopeful, our journey goes forward, and the state of
our union is strong.

Thank you, God Bless You, and may God Bless the United States of