I would like to know the uses of the following!

Hussein J Mahenga

JF-Expert Member
Mar 5, 2012
Hi jf members

naomba kufahamu matumizi ya miundo ifuatayo:

-so as.....
-so that..,
-notwithunderstanding.....
-nevertheless..,
-no matter...,
-such as...,
Nawasilisha.

correction
notwithstanding

make a start with the web search of terms as follows
Enter the following as the search string either as the url name or in the search box

define "notwithstanding"

This will give you these categories for each word

Preposition:
Adverb:
Conjunction:
Synonyms:

Sir H, ''so as to,'' ''so that,'' ''nevertheless,'' ''no matter,'' ''so as to,'' ''notwithstanding'' and ''such as'' all are grammatical devices that can be used in English written works to connect ideas between sentences or even between paragraphs. The first two--so that and nevertheless--better known as ''subordinating conjuctions,'' are more remarkable and, unlike others, always they're followed by a complete clause in construction, rather than a single word or a phrase.
Now let's have a look at each of them and analyze on how they are precisely utilized. ''So as to'' and ''so that'' falls under the group of causal transitions and can both be used to convey a sense of purpose as in ''I've furnished the house with new furniture so that it may look attractive'' or ''Our teacher has given us an English exam so as to test our understanding.'' (Note that in the ''so that'' sentence, the conjunction has been followed by a complete clause ''It may look attractive,'' a condition necessary for such constructions.)
''Nevertheless,'' another subordinating conjunction, and ''notwithstanding,'' an adverb, can interchangeably be used to express a sense of concession in an almost the same way as other adversative transitions ''nonetheless,'' ''although'' ''despite,'' ''in spite of'' or ''even though.'' Examples of such sentences: ''There was a heavy rain on that day; nevertheless, the game went on'' or ''The game went on notwithstanding the heavy rain.''
Next, ''such as'' is known as an additive transition and correctly used to introduce other word or words for the sake of giving clarification to the sentence as in ''Third Word countries, such as Kenya and Tanzania, always fall behind in their efforts to give their people good health services.''
Finally, ''no matter'' is employed in its perfect meaning when showing that something mentioned earlier is not that significant or might not pose any difficulty as, for instance, if you're in a hotel and the waiter says the food you've ordered is finished, you can reply to him or her ''No matter, I'll have any other available food.''
I hope I've managed to some extent to alleviate your confusion regarding those transition words and phrases. I must, however, tell you that the subject of proper usage of such devices is very extensive and equally crucial to the expansion of the grammar grasp. So, for the advantage of acquiring a greater comprehension on the matter, I suggest you visit and learn from as many various English language resources as possible

Mbona iko paragraphed. Si kuna paragragh tatu hapo?
paragraph means

Radhia Sweety ........................

Radhia Sweety........................

Radhia Sweet ............................ and not

Radhia Sweet....................
Radhia Sweet...................

Nafikiri umempata!

paragraph means

Nafikiri umempata!

umeleta vitu gani hivi?

Radhia Sweety naomba basi weka paragraphs, ili isomeke vema zaidi...

Mbona iko paragraphed. Si kuna paragragh tatu hapo?

paragraph means

Nafikiri umempata!

Sir H

''so as to,''
''so that,''
''nevertheless,''
''no matter,''
''so as to,''
''notwithstanding''

and ''such as'' all are grammatical devices that can be used in English written works to connect ideas between sentences or even between paragraphs.

The first two--
so that and nevertheless--better known as ''subordinating conjuctions,'' are more remarkable and, unlike others, always they're followed by a complete clause in constructions, rather than a single word or phrase.

Now let's have a look at the usage of each of the transitions you've presented.

''So as to'' and ''so that'' falls under the group of causal transitions and can both be used to convey a sense of purpose as in ''I've furnished the house with new furniture so that it may look attractive'' or ''Our teacher has given us an English exam so as to test our understanding.'' (Note that in the ''so that'' sentence, the conjunction has been followed by a complete clause ''It may look attractive,'' a condition necessary for such constructions.)

''Nevertheless,'' another subordinating conjunction, and ''notwithstanding,'' an adverb, can interchangeably be used to express a sense of concession in an almost the same way as other adversative transitions ''nonetheless,'' ''although'' ''despite,'' ''in spite of'' or ''even though.''

Examples of such sentences: ''There was a heavy rain on that day;
nevertheless, the game went on'' or ''The game went on notwithstanding the heavy rain.''

Next, '
'Such as'' is known as an additive transition and correctly used to introduce other word or words for the sake giving clarification to the sentence .... as in ''Third Word countries, such as Kenya and Tanzania, always fall behind in their effort to give their people good health services.''

Finally,
''no matter'' is employed in its perfect meaning when showing that something mentioned earlier is not that significant as, for instance, if you're in a hotel and the waiter tells you your food of choice isn't there, you can tell him or her ''No matter, I'll have any other available food.''

I hope I've helped to some extent alleviating your confusion regarding those transition words and phrases. I must, however, tell you that the subject of proper usage of such words is extensive and equally crucial to the expansion of the grammar grasp. So, for the advantage of acquiring a greater comprehension on the matter, I suggest you visit and learn from other English language resources.

Haya Neiwa nafikiri hapo utakuwa umempata Radhia Sweety na hata Sir H atakuwa amenufaika

Thanks alot my trim,my fellow jf member Radhia sweety! Your guidlines are of great paramount since i have benefited from them!

Another device i would like to know it,that is,"such that"! I'm sorry for disturbance!

Thanks alot my trim,my fellow jf member Radhia sweety! Your guidlines are of great paramount since i have benefited from them!

Another device i would like to know it,that is,"such that"! I'm sorry for disturbance!

I'm glad that the explanation I've supplied has indeed satisfied your question. I should hasten also to say you don't need apologize for asking me questions, because I believe it somewhat behooves any person knowledgeable with a certain subject or field to help others attain the level of proficiency he or she has.
As to the proper usage of ''such that,'' it is used when saying that a particular type of situation, action or behaviour brings about the outcome that one is mentioning. For example, ''She was such an outstanding singer that tickets to her shows were always sold out two weeks before performing'' or ''The hatred between the two siblings was such that they were not talking to each other.''

I should hasten also to say you don't need apologize for asking me questions, because I believe it somewhat behooves any person knowledgeable with a certain subject or field to HELP OTHERS attain the level of proficiency he or she has.

Your hospitality can't be easily comparable to anyone else since in nowadays majorities are unwillingly to educate minorities that's why i feel so glad for the wisest few who are ready to educate others of low level like! Let me PM you!

umeleta vitu gani hivi?
Hahaha radhia S mwenzako aliomba uweke maelezo yako kwenye Paragraph nawe ukamjibu mbona iko 'paragraphed' nilichogundua sio kwamba hakukuelewa ila alikuwa anakukosoa kuwa pamoja na kuwa unasema umeweka kwenye paragraph tatu, hazionekani kuwa ni paragraph kwa kuwa hakuna nafasi (space between those paragraph) ingawa wewe unaona kuwa ziko.

Mfano wangu ulikuwa kati ya majina matatu ya "Radhia Sweet......." yenye nafasi ndio inaonyesha kuwa ni paragraph tatu kwa sababu kuna "space between" na majina matatu ya "Radhia Sweet..........." hayana nafasi inaonyesha kuwa ni paragraph moja tu. nafikiri nimeeleweka.

By the way thanx 4ur explanation.

Hahaha radhia S mwenzako aliomba uweke maelezo yako kwenye Paragraph nawe ukamjibu mbona iko 'paragraphed' nilichogundua sio kwamba hakukuelewa ila alikuwa anakukosoa kuwa pamoja na kuwa unasema umeweka kwenye paragraph tatu, hazionekani kuwa ni paragraph kwa kuwa hakuna nafasi (space between those paragraph) ingawa wewe unaona kuwa ziko.

Mfano wangu ulikuwa kati ya majina matatu ya "Radhia Sweet......." yenye nafasi ndio inaonyesha kuwa ni paragraph tatu kwa sababu kuna "space between" na majina matatu ya "Radhia Sweet..........." hayana nafasi inaonyesha kuwa ni paragraph moja tu. nafikiri nimeeleweka.

By the way thanx 4ur explanation.

we need your contributions as well,pls!

Back
Top Bottom