How to convert NTFS to FAT32 without data losing?

Herbalist Dr MziziMkavu

JF-Expert Member
Feb 3, 2009

Many people ask me the same questions – how to convert FAT32 partition to NTFS, meanwhile, some people want to convert NTFS to FAT32 without reformatting or losing data.
Why convert FAT32 to NTFS

NTFS file system has many advantages than FAT file system, such as,

• Allows indexing which improves file searching (mostly, faster).
  • Better security – file encryption (not supported by Win XP home)
  • Supports user quotas.
  • File compression to save disk space.
  • Supports larger files than FAT (greater than 4GB).
  • Supported format on dynamic disks (no dynamic disks on Win XP Home).
  • Resistant to fragmentation.
Many computer users want to change partition from FAT to NTFS. Fortunately, Windows provides a non-destructive way to convert FAT partition to NTFS directly,
How to convert FAT32 to NTFS?

1. Open Command Prompt, press "Windows & R" key.
  2. Input "cmd" and then press Enter.
  3. In the command prompt window, type: convert (your drive_letter): /fs:ntfs
For example, typing "convert D: /fs:ntfs: would format drive D: with the NTFS format. See more details hereHow to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS
Note: Once you convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT32 with command line. You need to reformat this partition, of course, you'll lose all data.
Convert NTFS to FAT32

It is strange that NTFS has so many advantages, why converting NTFS to FAT? Microsoft also says you cannot simple convert NTFS to FAT32.
Let's see the real cased below: "I want to convert the USB from NTFS to fat32 so it can be supported by my DVD player for playback.pls".
"I have got DVD player, this disposes about USB anschluss, unfortunately, only fat formatted partition recognizes."
The fact is that some devices can only supports FAT32 file system, so to convert NTFS to FAT32 without reformatting or data losing is required.

This is very simple. Firstly, let's make a test NTFS partition.
Secondly, run Paragon Partition Manager, select the NTFS partition, click "Partition" > "Convert File System"
After apply the operation, you can convert NTFS to FAT32 partition non-destructively.
Another choice is NTFS to FAT32 converter, which is designed to convert NTFS to FAT 32 without losing data.
Popularity: 57%

Many people ask me the same questions – how to convert FAT32 partition to NTFS, meanwhile, some people want to convert NTFS to FAT32 without reformatting or losing data.
Why convert FAT32 to NTFS

NTFS file system has many advantages than FAT file system, such as,

• Allows indexing which improves file searching (mostly, faster).
  • Better security – file encryption (not supported by Win XP home)
  • Supports user quotas.
  • File compression to save disk space.
  • Supports larger files than FAT (greater than 4GB).
  • Supported format on dynamic disks (no dynamic disks on Win XP Home).
  • Resistant to fragmentation.
Many computer users want to change partition from FAT to NTFS. Fortunately, Windows provides a non-destructive way to convert FAT partition to NTFS directly,
How to convert FAT32 to NTFS?

1. Open Command Prompt, press "Windows & R" key.
  2. Input "cmd" and then press Enter.
  3. In the command prompt window, type: convert (your drive_letter): /fs:ntfs
For example, typing "convert D: /fs:ntfs: would format drive D: with the NTFS format. See more details hereHow to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS
Note: Once you convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT32 with command line. You need to reformat this partition, of course, you'll lose all data.
Convert NTFS to FAT32

It is strange that NTFS has so many advantages, why converting NTFS to FAT? Microsoft also says you cannot simple convert NTFS to FAT32.
Let's see the real cased below: "I want to convert the USB from NTFS to fat32 so it can be supported by my DVD player for playback.pls".
"I have got DVD player, this disposes about USB anschluss, unfortunately, only fat formatted partition recognizes."
The fact is that some devices can only supports FAT32 file system, so to convert NTFS to FAT32 without reformatting or data losing is required.

This is very simple. Firstly, let's make a test NTFS partition.
Secondly, run Paragon Partition Manager, select the NTFS partition, click "Partition" > "Convert File System"
After apply the operation, you can convert NTFS to FAT32 partition non-destructively.
Another choice is NTFS to FAT32 converter, which is designed to convert NTFS to FAT 32 without losing data.
Popularity: 57%

Sorry Unaweza rudia Maelezo kwa Kiswahili

Back
Top Bottom