Home of AC Milan, Official Thread

Enough with the youngsters; Gazidis changes AC Milan’s
strategy

Ibrahimovic (38), Begovic (32), Kjaer (30). AC Milan have decided to
focus on safe cards this transfer window, signing some experienced
players.

Certainly, given the first half of the season, it was needed.
As Tuttosport highlights (via MilanNews.it ), the Rossoneri’s moves on
the transfer market have gone against the principles imposed by Ivan
Gazidis. Has the CEO changed his mind? Who knows, but most likely he
understood the issues of solely a young team.
Just one year ago, Milan spent €70m on Paqueta and Piatek, thus
rejecting the opportunity to sign Ibrahimovic and Fabregas. Now,
however, the project is based on players that can help the team
(young or old), as the newspaper states.

Tuttosport also observes that something else might be behind this
sudden change in strategy. For example, the value of the club has
decreased and as Elliott want to sell at a good price, they were
forced to act. Europe, in fact, is crucial.

*Kjaer: 'A dream to play for Milan'*

New Milan signing Simon Kjaer is ecstatic over his move to the Rossoneri. “I’ve always dreamt of playing for this club.”

The Danish defender has signed for Milan on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season from Spanish outfit Sevilla.

Kjaer had initially joined Atalanta on loan, but struggled for playing time at La Dea, and has now made the short journey to Milan.

Interviewed by Milan’s official website, Kjaer claims it’s always been a dream to represent the Rossoneri.

“It’s been my dream to play for Milan. They represent an historic club, with some of the toughest champions in history,” Kjaer stated.

“The strongest defenders of all time were at Milan, namely: Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Franco Baresi and others.

“It’s been my dream for many years, and now I’m finally here!”

Kjaer talked to former Milan striker Jon Dahl Tomasson about the club.

“I spoke with Jon last week, and he had nothing but good things to say about the club, and the city of Milan.”

Despite only being on loan, Kjaer hopes to make an impression at San Siro.

“Milan has many young players with good quality. I’m here because of the interesting project presented to me.

“It doesn’t matter to have arrived on loan, but I hope to show that I deserve to remain here, and to do my best for the club.”

“Kjaer states that despite fellow new signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic being 38 years old, he hasn’t changed.

“Zlatan is Zlatan. He doesn’t need my comments nor anyone else’s to explain how good he is. Everyone knows his strength.

“At 30 or 38, he’s still the same person I met many times. He might not have the same physique as 10 years ago, but he’s still devastating.

“I watched the game against Cagliari and he’s decisive, which is why I believe Milan brought him back.”

Fabio Borini has closed the chapter on his time with AC Milan via a message on his official Instagram account, thanking the fans for their support.

The 28-year-old had medicals ahead of a switch to Hellas Verona last week, and the deal was officially confirmed by both clubs on Tuesday bringing an end to Borini’s two-and-a-half year stay at the San Siro.

With a long post on his Instagram, Borini said goodbye to Milan and the Rossoneri fans.

“Honour, passion, sweat, suffering, happiness, stubbornness! I gave everything for these colours and this glorious club! To give everything was to play in roles not mine, to play in less than optimal physical conditions and without ever devaluing what I was wearing! A wonderful adventure is over but a new challenge is ready to embrace me and I can’t wait! I also wanted to thank my team-mates (where I also found friends), the club, and all the technical staff who have me accompanied, and finally, between ups and downs, I also thank the fans who have always supported me! … THANKS! “

AC Milan set for sensational return

Posted on January 15, 2020 by Rossonero

The highly likely sale of Ricardo Rodriguez in January has forced AC Milan to look around for alternatives and consider recalling Diego Laxalt.

After spending around €100 million on the transfer market last summer AC Milan had hoped that the January window would be quite relaxed. Instead, Paolo Maldini and Zvonimir Boban are moving at a frenetic pace to close a number of deals in the remaining two weeks.

The defence is a department that will continue to suffer changes. The Rossoneri decided to allow Mattia Caldara to leave on loan to Atalanta with the right to buy set at just €15 million and replaced him with Simon Kjaer, who could be purchased at the end of the season for 2.5 million.

Before the end of the January transfer window AC Milan must also find a solution for Ricardo Rodriguez. With Theo Hernandez in scintillating form, Rodriguez has become his back-up. The Swiss left back wants more play time and is very likely to leave in the coming days on loan or on a permanent transfer with PSV and Fenerbahce interested in his services.

To replace Ricardo Rodriguez AC Milan will not sign another player. Instead, the management will recall Diego Laxalt who is on loan at Torino. The 26-year-old left back has made 14 appearances with Torino this season, almost always as a substitute.

The agents of Diego Laxalt were at Casa Milan today to discuss a potential return in case of Rodriguez’s departure. Torino have a €12 million option on Laxalt but they have no intention to exercise it. According to Sky Sports, Milan have also received offers from Spain for Laxalt. No matter their final choice, Laxalt’s time at Torino seems to have come to an end.

FT:- *A.C. Milan 3-0 S.P.A.L.*.
Goals scored by Krzysztof Piatek, Samuel Castillejo and Theo Hernández, assisted by Ismaël Bennacer and Krzysztof Piatek.

All done for #Rodriguez to #Fenerbahce: he will leave on loan with an obligation to buy set at €5million. #Milano satisfied the player by refusing an offer from #PSV that was higher. @SempreMilanCom #SempreMilan

⏱ Antonio Donnarumma is the first goalkeeper in #ACMilan history to have played at least 300 minutes without conceding a single goal.

🐐❤️️🖤

Inzaghi to Corriere della Sera on Milan : "It’s bad, but unfortunately it’s nothing new,but I know Maldini and I trust him. I am sure that Paolo and Zvonimir Boban will get the club out of this situation. You have to reset, insert two or three of the right players every year and, above all, be patient. And you will need continuity in the management of the club.”

“Zlatan ? They’ve done well. He was needed. I played with him and I respect him a lot. He doesn’t need money or glory. If he’s back, it means that he believes he can make a mark. It seems to me that he has already shown this during his first games. Even during his debut, his weight was noticed.”

"My future? I only see myself at Benevento.In 2017 the sporting director Foggia called me. I had a lot of proposals, I chose Bologna. And he was looking for me six months ago, even if the situation was worse for me."

“They showed me respect when everyone wanted me, but also when nobody did. I will never forget this.”

The failure to sell Suso in the summer certainly affected the Milan's plans.The fact that no attacking midfielder or second striker (aside from Rebic) arrived, also depended on the permanence of the Spaniard, whose departure, in addition to an important capital gain, it would have guaranteed considerable savings in terms of engagement (6 million gross).

What to do now? It is certain from his performance that Suso cannot be a regular 1st team player,

but continuing to keep him is constantly reducing his market value and not helping Milan. Either Milan will lower their claims, entering the order of ideas that the player is worth much less than the 40 million required in the summer, or the Spaniard will hardly move. The technical revaluation to date appears almost impossible, unless Suso decides to reinvent himself elsewhere.

Castillejo has proven to be a much more effective wing striker than his compatriot, who has never convinced during the current season. To date, in case of permanence, it is difficult to think that the number 8 can become the protagonist again, a consideration that should also be clear in the management during these market weeks. Some clubs have just inquired about Suso but his wages and poor performances make it difficult for Milan to sell as they want €25M for him.

Home » Player Ratings: AC Milan 3-0 SPAL – Piatek back on target, Castillejo continues to impress

PROMOTED - HOMEPAGE THE MATCH

Player Ratings: AC Milan 3-0 SPAL – Piatek back on target, Castillejo continues to impress

By Fred Ilondo - 15 January 2020, 20:24

The Rossoneri started their Coppa Italia campaign with a win against SPAL at the San Siro. Piatek and Castillejo were first to score in the first half before Theo Hernandez outstanding goal sealed the deal for Pioli’s men.

STARTING XI

A. Donnarumma (6.5): Didn’t have much to do but was solid overall and made a good save in the second half.

Conti (6): Except for a couple of misplaced passes and an underwhelming offensive display, his contribution in defence was crucial at times.

Kjaer (6.5): An encouraging debut for the newly signed centre-back. It will certainly be interesting to see if he can keep performing like he did tonight.

Romagnoli (6.5): The captain took charge of his defence and was always in control of the game. He didn’t make a single mistake and was always there to stop every dangerous attacking opportunity the opposition could create.

Hernandez (7): Despite an unimpressive first half, Hernandez stepped up in the second half and managed to score an amazing goal in the process.

Castillejo (7 – MOTM): For the second time in a row, Castillejo proved that the team can rely on him, he was everywhere and was always either creating chances for his teammates or looking to score himself. He was rewarded with a stunning goal towards the end of the first half.

Krunic (6): Even though he wasn’t as good as what we can expect, he still managed to deliver a decent performance.

Bennacer (6.5): A very mature performance from the Algerian, fought for every ball and even managed to get an assist.

Bonaventura (6): Not his best performance but Jack, even in his bad days, brings so much to the team in terms of creativity. He was decent going forward.

Rebic (6): Despite being clumsy and irritating at times, This is a performance the Croatian should build on. His contributions to the team are almost non-existant but the potential is still there.

Piatek (6.5): With a goal and an assist, the Polish international delivered what is undeniably his best performance this season. Certainly an encouraging sign, and if he stays, he needs to continue like this.

SUBSTITUTES

Suso (6): Nothing special from the Spaniard but like most of the players today, he did well enough to help the team secure the win and keep pushing forward.

Paqueta (6): The Brazilian misplaced a lot of passes but managed to create as much danger going forward as his predecessor.

Gabbia: N/A

Pioli: 'Full-backs more advanced'

Football Italia

Stefano Pioli explained why the new tactical approach has made such an impact at Milan after their comfortable Coppa Italia win.
The Rossoneri secured a second consecutive victory, beating SPAL 3-0 to set up a Coppa Italia Quarter-Final against Torino, with goals from Krzysztof Piatek, Samu Castillejo and Theo Hernandez.

“It was a positive evening, it was important to us to get through and give a sense of consistency to the performance against Cagliari. Everyone was ready and stepped up,” the coach told Milan TV.

The switch to a 4-4-2 system seems to have done wonders, as this 3-0 result followed a 2-0 win in Sardinia.
“Positions on the pitch are never static, it’s all about the spaces you occupy and we need to cover the whole pitch at the right moments. We did that often today and created many scoring opportunities.

“Aside from the system, whether you like it or not, the important thing is the concepts of football. We kept the full-backs more advanced to create superiority on the wings.
“It’s crucial that we play with intensity, whether we are on the ball or chasing it down.”

Milan and Roma could work out a loan swap with option to buy for Cengiz Under and Suso. The Turkish player wants to play more and his entourage's pushing for the sale while Suso is on the list of outgoing players for Milan [Di Marzio]

Five key talking points as Milan see off SPAL and advance in Coppa Italia
January 15, 2020 Sumeet Paul
Piatek Milan SPAL
FacebookTwitterShare
Milan enjoyed a comfortable night’s work on Wednesday as we secured a 3-0 win over SPAL to advance to the quarter-finals of the Coppa Italia.

Goals from Krzysztof Piatek, Samu Castillejo and Theo Hernandez set up a tie with Torino in the next round, while we continue to build all-important momentum after the win over Cagliari last weekend.

SEE MORE: Why double Milan loan signing could be part of prudent plan in bigger picture
The focus will now switch to hosting Udinese on Sunday, but for now, there are reasons to be positive for Stefano Pioli as it was a commanding and assured performance.

Great night for Piatek
While he could, and probably should, have added to his tally on the night, this was a much-improved display from the Polish international as he scored and provided an assist too.

With Piatek, it’s all about the service. If he’s allowed to work off the shoulder of the last defender and find space in behind, he can be lethal as his clinical finish showed.

His movement was good throughout and he was much more of a threat, but he’ll have to be more consistent now especially against much tougher defences moving forward as this will hopefully be a big boost for his confidence.

Hernandez continues to shine
That’s now five goals and two assists in 16 appearances so far this season, as the 22-year-old continues to impress down the left flank.

Defensively improving and always a major threat going forward, he capped it off with a superb strike to wrap the game up and he has now established himself as one of the most important players in the side.

After his lack of playing time at Real Madrid, perhaps it was simply a case of giving him a chance with a more prominent role and he would repay that faith. That certainly seems to be the case so far.

Tidy debut for Kjaer
Drafted in at the start of the week, the loanee was given an immediate start from Pioli as he lined up alongside Alessio Romagnoli in the heart of the backline.

While he will no doubt face much tougher tests in the months to come if he gets the nod again, it was a positive debut for the defensive stalwart as he slotted in well and kept things tight at the back.

Showed good reading of the game and physicality, and while his lack of pace may be exposed moving forward, as a back-up option for Mateo Musacchio for the rest of the season, he looks a safe bet.

Castillejo pushing Suso closer to exit?
As per the Daily Mail, teams are said to be lining up for Suso this month as not only is his place in the Milan XI under threat, but his time at the club seemingly is too.

Jeered by the home faithful after coming on in the second half, he did show flashes of quality in possession, but he was outshone by compatriot Samu Castillejo.

The Spaniard scored with a stunning effort and his work ethic makes him a better fit for Milan if they continue with the 4-4-2 system. In turn, while he is stepping up his game and showing more quality, that could make it an easier decision for Milan to part with Suso this month if the right offer arrives.

System change suiting players

It isn’t just Castillejo who appears to be benefitting from the switch away from the 4-3-3, as Ismael Bennacer and Rade Krunic provided us with a solid foundation in midfield and had a good understanding.

Giacomo Bonaventura came in for Hakan Calhanoglu on the left and while he may not have the legs to match his teammate in terms of defensive work off the ball, he looked comfortable in that role too.

Meanwhile, Ante Rebic blew hot and cold over the course of the game but showed some life. In turn, he could now be an option for Pioli to rotate with Rafael Leao as the second striker, offering more pace and movement off the ball to add a different dynamic alongside Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Piatek.

Milan look defensively sound and more threatening going forward since changing formation, as that’s now five goals in the last two games and back-to-back clean sheets. In turn, Pioli may well have found a crucial solution with his tactical tinkering for the time being, but we’ll hopefully continue to improve and be more effective in the coming weeks

AC Milan have reportedly completed the signing of Dinamo Zagreb star Dani Olmo on a €30 million transfer fee.
For the past two years AC Milan have been following with great attention Dani Olmo. The very talented Spaniard took an unconventional path in 2014 leaving Barcelona to join Dinamo Zagreb but his courage has been rewarded and Olmo is one of the most in-demand players in Europe today.

After two unsuccessful attempts in the past AC Milan are finally close to purchasing Dani Olmo. According to the Croatian press, AC Milan have made a 30 million euros offer to sign Olmo from Dinamo Zagreb.

This would be an operation conducted by Zvonimir Boban who has important contacts at his former club Dinamo Zagreb. The 30 million fee however is hefty figure for the financially struggling Rossoneri. That’s why the management is trying to close an important sale in the coming days with one between Suso, Piatek, Kessie or Lucas Paqueta destined to leave.Despite the required sacrifice, AC Milan desperately need a player of Dani Olmo’s qualities. At one point Dani Olmo seemed closer to Barcelona with Manchester United and Chelsea also interested in him but AC Milan have managed to convince the 21-year-old who has made over 120 appearances with Dinamo Zagreb.

In Stefano Pioli’s 4-4-2 formation there is a need to sign a new right winger. Suso offers no guarantees in that position while Castillejo alone is not enough. Dani Olmo plays primarily as attacking midfielder and also as right or left winger with great success. In 22 appearances this season the Spanish star has scored 8 goals and assisted 7. The former Barcelona youngster has won 4 league titles in Croatia and the European Under-21 Championship last season as an absolute protagonist.

AC Milan continues to think about Roma’s 22-year-old Turkish winger, Cengiz Ünder. So much so that an offer could arrive in the coming hours, we have learned.

It’s no secret that Suso and Milan mutually want to part ways this month, and widespread reports are claiming that Suso made it known this week that he would like to leave the Rossoneri in January.

The player allegedly prefers a move to the red-and-yellow half of the Italian capital, Roma. The Giallorossi, however, have discarded the idea of acquiring the Spanish winger as they are instead working on bringing in Inter’s Matteo Politano.

Milan for their part haven’t given up on the idea of acquiring Under though, so much so that the Rossoneri could make a bid for the Turkish international in the coming hours.

According to what we have learned, the offer is likely to be one involving Suso as a counterpart plus a cash sum, with the hopes of persuading Roma to part with the 22-year-old.

And as far as it goes for Ünder, a report on Wednesday said that he wants out of Roma and that Milan holds a firm interest.
Sky are also reporting that an exchange between the two is possible.

Boban had contacts with Dinamo Zagreb for Dani Olmo. He is trying to sign the player and a concrete attempt took place. The Croatian club’s request is €25M+bonuses. Olmo wants to leave Dinamo, a decision that’s been communicated through his entourage

[@86_longo] Milan Eye on Twitter

Contrasting Olmo-Milan reports.

There continue to be contrasting reports from Croatia and Italy over the proposed Dani Olmo transfer from Dinamo Zagreb to Milan.

Sportske Novosti maintain today that the switch to San Siro is a matter of days away, for €20m immediately, plus €5m in bonuses and a percentage of his future transfer sale.

The five-year contract would be worth €2.5m per season for the 21-year-old Spain international.

It’s suggested Olmo will not take part in today’s friendly game with Lokomotiv.

However, Sky Sport Italia transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio stands by his insistence that any Milan interest is for the summer.

Olmo’s current contract with Dinamo Zagreb is due to expire in June 2021 and he has reportedly turned down an extension. Milan

Back
Top Bottom