15. Avenue Road Location: Toronto, Ontario Avenue Road is a major north-to-south running street in Toronto, Ontario. The road is a continuation of University Avenue, linked to it via Queen's Park Circle East and West. Many Canadians consider the name of the street unusual and contradictory-sounding. Robert Fulford once wrote that it "sounded like an identity crisis with pavement." There is a joke about how Avenue Road got its name. According to local legend, Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe was surveying the old town of York and came to a spot on Bloor Street and pointed north. He said (in an English accent), "Let's 'av a new road!" However, Avenue Road is a common street name elsewhere, notably London, where at least 40 streets bear this name. The word Avenue in British-English means a row of trees, hence Avenue Road means a street lined with trees. In Canadian English avenue is synonymous with the word street. 14. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Location: Webster, Massachusetts Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is a lake located in the town of Webster, Massachusetts. The lake is near the Connecticut border. It holds the longest place name in the U.S. and the 6th longest in the world. Many people refer to the body of water as Lake Chaubunagungamaug or Webster Lake. The original name comes from Nipmuc, an Algonquian language, and is believed to mean, "Fishing Place at the Boundaries -- Neutral Meeting Grounds." The lake was an important fishing spot on the borders of several tribal territories. Many paths of the Great Trail system start and end at the lake. For this reason the area was often used as a meeting place. Webster Lake has 7 or 8 islands. Some of the islands have houses and are habitable, while others are extremely small and uninhabitable. 13. DISH Location: Denton County, Texas DISH, Texas is a small town located in the U.S. state of Texas. On November 16, 2005 the town's name was changed from Clark to DISH. In exchange for renaming the town to DISH, all 181 residents were given free basic television service for ten years. They were also given free DVR technology from DISH Network. At the time, there was no formal opposition to renaming Clark, and twelve citizens attended the council meeting to support the measure. 12. Knob Lick Location: St. Francois County, Missouri Knob Lick is an unincorporated community in southern St. Francois County, Missouri. It is located on U.S. Route 67 about eight miles south of Farmington. The community was named in 1876 for the nearby Knob Lick Mountain. In the Ozarks, knob typically refers to an isolated summit, and lick is a natural salt lick or salt spring. In the past, the St Louis and Iron Mountain Railroad had a stop at Knob Lick that was a shipping point for granite mines. 11. Lost Location: Aberdeenshire, Scotland Lost is a tiny village in Aberdeenshire, Scotland with a population of less than two dozen people. It lies 40 miles west of Aberdeen in the Cairngorm Mountains. Despite its small population, the families of Lost are famed for their strength and fighting honor. The name comes from the Gaelic word for "inn". Today the hamlet has a few houses, a war memorial and a farm. Due to its unusual name and the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere, the area has received unwanted publicity through tourist guidebooks. The town has also suffered from regular thefts of street signs. Each street sign costs approximately £100 (US$200) to replace. As a result, the Aberdeenshire Council tried to change its name to Lost Farm; however, in the face of strong local opposition, the village's traditional name was reinstated. 10. Westward Ho! Location: Devon, England Westward Ho! is a seaside village near Bideford in Devon, England. The village's name comes from the title of Charles Kingsley's novel Westward Ho! (1855). The exclamation mark in the name is intentional and it is the only such place in the British Isles with that emphasis, although Saint-Louis- du-Ha! Ha!, Quebec, shares the distinction of having an exclamation mark in its name. Development of the village began ten years after the 1855 Kingsley novel was published, in order to satisfy the Victorian's passion for seaside vacations.. 9. Truth or Consequences Location: Sierra County, New Mexico Truth or Consequences is a spa city located in Sierra County, New Mexico. As of the 2000 census, the population was 7,289. The town was originally named Hot Springs, however the city changed its name to Truth or Consequences, the title of a popular NBC radio program. In 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the radio quiz show Truth or Consequences announced that he would air the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Hot Springs, NM won the honor. Ralph Edwards traveled to the city during the first weekend of May for the next fifty years. The annual event was called "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, a parade, and a stage show. The city still celebrates Fiesta each year during the first weekend of May. 8. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Location: Island of Anglesey in Wales Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is a village and community on the island of Anglesey in Wales, situated on the Menai Strait next to the Britannia Bridge and across from Bangor. The town‘s name is commonly shortened to Llanfair PG or Llanfairpwll. The village is best known for its name, the longest place name in Europe and one of the longest in the world. According to the 2001 census, the population of the village is 3,040, with 76% of the people speaking Welsh fluently. It is the fifth largest settlement on Anglesey Island by population. Tourists often stop at the railway station to be photographed next to the station sign. People also like to visit the nearby Visitors' Centre or have their passports stamped at a local shop. The name of the village officially means: St Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near the swirling whirlpool of the church of St Tysilio with a red cave. 7. Toad Suck Location: Perry County, Arkansas Toad Suck is an unincorporated community in Perry County, Arkansas, United States. According to a local website, the town got its name from a common quotation in regards to the captains and crew of steamboats that traveled the Arkansas River, "They suck on the bottle 'til they swell up like toads." Toad Suck Daze is an annual fair that raises funds for scholarships. It is held in Conway, Arkansas. The fair was first organized in 1982 and has been held annually since. 6. Blue Balls Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Blue Ball is an unincorporated community in Lancaster County, near the town of New Holland, Pennsylvania. The name, though often considered sexually suggestive, actually comes from the Blue Ball Hotel, which stood on the southeast corner of the PA 23-US 322 crossroads. The inn is no longer standing and was torn down in 1997 after more than 200 years in service. A popular t-shirt in the 1990s read "It's hard living in Blue Balls, Pennsylvania." That's not true. 5. Dildo Location: Newfoundland and Labrador Dildo is a town on the island of Newfoundland in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Dildo has a long history, going as far back as 2000 BC when aboriginal people resided at Anderson's Cove. Dildo has a fast-growing tourist industry, on account of the town's unusual name. Dildo offers great scenery and fun, with several bed and breakfasts, eating establishments, and the Dildo Museum interpretive centre. 4. Shades of Death Road Location: Warren County, New Jersey Shades of Death road, sometimes referred to locally as just Shades, is a two-lane rural road that is about seven miles (11.2 km) in length. It is located in central Warren County, New Jersey. Several explanations have been given for the road's strange name, none of which has ever been confirmed. The name of the road has given rise to many local legends about ghosts and other paranormal activity. This has brought many tourists to the area. Two locations along Shades of Death road are said to be good places to see ghosts and other supernatural phenomena. They are Ghost Lake and The Fairy Hole, which is a small cave. Others have reported strange events on Lenape Lane, which is an unpaved one-lane dead-end street about three quarter mile (1.1 km) in length running eastward off Shades of Death road. 3. Gropecunt Lane [TABLE] [TR] [TD="align: center"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="align: center"]Magpie Lane in Oxford[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Gropecunt Lane was a street name used in English towns and cities during the Middle Ages. It is believed to be a reference to the prostitution rings that were centered in those areas. The earliest known use of the word was 1230. It appears to have been derived as a compound of the two words. Both of these words were commonly used during the Middle Ages until the eighteenth century. Streets that were given the name were often in the busiest parts of medieval towns. The name was once common in England. However, changes in attitude resulted in it being replaced by more innocuous versions such as Grape Lane. Gropecunt was last recorded as a street name in 1561. Magpie Lane in Oxford was once known as Gropecunt Lane. 2. No Place Location: County Durham, England [TABLE] [TR] [TD="align: center"][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD="align: center"]Beamish Mary Inn[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] No Place is a small village near the town of Stanley in County Durham, England. It is home to an award-winning real ale pub, the Beamish Mary Inn and lies near the Beamish Mary coal pit. The origin of the village's unusual name is uncertain; however, theories have suggested a shortening of "North Place," "Near Place," or "Nigh Place." Other people have pointed out that the original houses of the village stood on a boundary between two parishes, neither of which would accept the village. The Derwentside Council tried to change the name of the village to Co- operative Villas in 1983; however, they were met with strong protests from local residents. Today the city signs read both No Place and Co-operative Villas. 1. ****ing Location: Innviertel Region of Western Upper Austria ****ing is a town in the municipality of Tarsdorf, in western Upper Austria. The village is located 33 kilometres (21 mi) north of Salzburg and four kilometres (2.5 mi) east of the German border. Despite having a population of only 104 people, the village has become famous for its name, particularly in the English-speaking world. Its road signs are a popular attraction for visitors, and the signs were often stolen by souvenir-hunting tourists until 2005 when they were modified to be theft-resistant. It is believed that the settlement was founded around the 6th century by Focko, a Bavarian nobleman. The existence of the village was documented for the first time in 1070 and historical records show that some twenty years later the lord's name was Adalpertus de Fucingin. ****ing's most famous feature are four traffic signs with its name on it, beside which tourists still stop to have their photograph taken. The local residents, the ****ingers, did not become aware of the notoriety of their town's name until World War II when American and British soldiers started coming around to take pictures. In July 2009 it was announced that the village would be installing numerous CCTV cameras in an attempt to deter summertime tourists from filming themselves having sexual intercourse in front of the ****ing signs. In 2010, a German brewery began marketing a beer named "****ing Hell." They claim the beer is actually named after the Austrian village ****ing and the German term for pale lager, Hell.