Exclusive: Mwaikagale plagiarized a Mozambican author?

Julius,
You can quote an author verbatim as long as you give attribution. It seems kosa la Mwakikagile ni kutotoa attribution. Hatuwezi sote kushuhudia tukio la kihistoria wakati mmoja, lakini tunaweza kulizungumzia as long as tunatoa sifa kwa sources zetu.

Mwakikagile ametoa source, which means he has given attribution. Source yake ni pdf file tu, bila jina la mwandishi, na bila title ya pdf file hiyo.

Angetaka kuiba, he would not have mentioned the ssurce five times in the chapter notes on Mozambique. Mwakikagile did not name Joao Manauel Cabrita as the author because this name is not on the pdf file Mwakikagile used. Had he used the Cabrita's book, na jina la Cabrita on the book, angemtaja. He has mentioned all the others - so why not Cabrita if his name was on the source he used? Jina hilo halipo. You can't even tell who wrote it. The pdf file has no title.

And the use of words, verbatim, neno kwa neno as Jasusi says, is NOT plagiarism hata bila quotation marks - as long as you acknowledge the source. And once you acknowledge the source, as Mwakikagile has done five times in the chapter notes on Mozambique, it does not take much to figure out that Mwakikagile is saying and admitting that he is NOT the source of that information but got it somewhere or from somebody else. he named the source: a pdf file on the Internet without the author's name or without the work's title.

Kuna chapter ya Congo in Mwakikagile's book, "Nyerere and Africa," where he has cited 139 sources in the chapter notes. So why wouldn't he mention Cabrita's name if it was on the pdf file he used for the chapter on Mozambique?

Even some people in Mozambique who responded to the post on the Mozambican blog where all this has ben posted think this is a ridiculous charge against Godfrey Mwakikagile - after they saw where he got his information from, and admitting that he got it from a pdf file on the Internet.

The information Mwakikagile used did not come directly from Joao Cabrita's book as his accuser claims. It came from a pdf file on the Internet which does NOT have Cabrita's name on it. So how could Godfrey Mwakikagile be blamed for not mentioning Cabrita when Cabrita's name was not on the pdf file? And how could he say he got this infromation from the book, "The Tortuos Road to Democracy in Mozambique" when this title is not on the pd file he used?
And why name the source, as Mwakikaigle did, if you are going to steal it?

I have read some of Mwakikagile's books and they are well-documented with solid sources, full attribution. This one about Nyerere is no exception. I repeat, he has named the same source in his chapter notes several times, unless his accuser didn't care to read the chapter notes to see where Mwakikaigle has mentioned his source on Mozambique several times.

The information Mwakikagile used did not come directly from Joao Cabrita's book as his accuser claims. It came from a pdf file on the Internet which does NOT have Cabrita's name on it. So how could Godfrey Mwakikagile be blamed for not mentioning Cabrita when Cabrita's name was not on the pdf file? And how could he say he got this infromation from the book, "The Tortuos Road to Democracy in Mozambique" when this title is not on the pd file he used?
And why name the source, as Mwakikaigle did, if you are going to steal it?

The title of the publication contained in the pdf file provided "The Tortuos Road to Democracy in Mozambique" (see: http://www.palgrave.com/pdfs/0333920015.pdf ) is clearly printed on top of each page.

So how on earth would a scholar of Mwakakilige's level fail to notice this obvious fact and consequently exercise requisite due diligence to find out details behind the publication including its author?

This issue has deeper implications.

First, his accuser: Godfrey Mwakikagile's accuser may have automatically assumed that Mwakikagile did not give credit to the Mozambican author Joao Cabrita simply because he did not see Cabrita's name in Mwakikagile's book.

But that's not even the main point. The name is not the critical issue - the critical issue is the source, and naming of the source. Once you have named the source, as Mwakikagile did, you have acknowledged that the information did not come from you. And if the book has chapter notes as Mwakikagile's does, go to the chapter notes to match the citations in the main body of the work you're reading. You go to identify the source.

But the deeper implications I am talking about here have to do with Mwakikagile's work.

There are people in Mozambique who don't like the book he wrote about Nyerere - I know some of them - because of what he wrote about people like Uria Simango (whom Mwakikagile knew in Dar) and about Lazarus Kavandame and the havoc he wreaked in Mozambique when he waged war against Frelimo.

Even Mwakikagile's accuser has gone to great lengths to mention the fact that Mwakikagile was close to Joauquim Chissano, who later became president of Mozambique, and that Mwakikagile also visited Mozambique during the liberation struggle (I don't know who told him that and where he got that from - it does not say in the article in Wikipedia about Mwakikagile or anywhere else I have read about him). His accuser also mentions the fact that Mwakikagile also knows President Mkapa and that even the vice president of South Africa quoted from Mwakikagile's writings.

I can not discern his/her motives for saying all that. But I do know there are elements in Mozambuque who, unto this day, are not happy Frelimo won and assumed power in Mozambique. This hostility is also expressed in other ways including attempts to discredit some people who have written objective accounts about the liberation struggle in Mozambique - accounts which are deemed to be biased towards Frelimo by those who don't like Frelimo, simply because they are positve accounts and do not unnecesarily attack Frelmo. Mwakikagile is one of those people who has been subjected to such criticism.

I know him and I know people, older people than him and me, who know him very well. He has been the subject of malicious campaigns even before because of some misconceptions of who and what he really is. And I am going to name names here to verify what I am saying.

After we finished high school together at Tambaza High School, Godfrey Mwakikagile worked very briefly at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in Dar in 1971 after completing National Service at Bulombora in Bukoba. I used to talk to him quite often in those days in Dar. He did not want to stay at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and wanted to return to the "Daily News" where he had worked before since his high school days when the paper was still owned by Lonrho and was called the "Standard."

The Director of Information and Broadcasting, Abdallah Riyami, refused to let Mwakikagile go and return to the "Daily News." He told Mwakikagile that they needed him there at the Ministry of Information. Mwakikagile tried again and again, to leave, to no avail. So he went to the "Daily News" and told Sammy Mdee, the editor, that Riyami won't let him go and return to the "Daily News."

Sammy Mdee himself failed to get Mwakikagile out of the Ministry of Information and felt he had to do the only thing he could do. He went directly to President Nyerere and told him that Riyami won't release Mwakikagile to return to the 'Daily News." Nyerere told Riyami to let Godfrey Mwakikagile go and let him return to the "Daily News" right away. It was with President Nyerere's intervention that Mwakikagile was able to go back to the "Daily News" where he wanted to work and where he had worked before.

If you don't believe this story, ask Juma Penza and Uli Mwambulukutu and other senior reporters at the "Daily News" in those days including Joseph Mapunda who late became editor of the paper. Without Nyerere's intervention, Mwakikagile would have been stuck at the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting where he did not want to work.

After this story circulated in the editorial office at the "Daily News," saying that President Nyerere had helped Godfrey Mwakikagile return to the "Daily News," some of his colleagues on the editorial staff felt vindicated in their belief, erroneous belief, that Godfrey Mwakikagile was "working for the government," a euphemism which means exactly what it means as you all should know. Some were even scared of him and wondered how did this kid, only 19 years old at the time, was able to get a job on the editorial staff of the largest national newspaper in Tanzania, the "Standard," when he was still in high school at Tambaza. All the other reporters were older than he was. He was the youngest. I was with him In Dar. I remember very well. Now, with President Nyerere's intervention which enabled Mwakikagile to go back to the "Daily News," some people really believed that he was one of them - you know who - Usalama Wa Taifa.

That was a ridiculous charge. Mwakikagile vehemently denied the charge. There were also those who didn't believe it, including the late Reginald Mhango. There was another reporter, Marianus Mbunda, who was not sure and tried to verify this by getting really close to Mwakikagile in social settings and other arenas. He was also finally convinced that Mwakikagile was not what some of their colleagues thought he was. But the rumour persisted, nonetheless.

And there are some people even today, here in Dar - I know some of them - and elsewhere who still want to tarnish him reputation. And they relish when they hear stories such as this one that he stole from somebody else's work - in spite of the fact that he cited the source in his book.

One member here, Kichuguu, has mentioned the fact that Godfrey Mwakikagile was close to national leaders in Dar when he was still in Tanzania during Nyerere's leadership. It is true he was close to them, including a number of cabinet members from what I know. Many people knew that. But it had to do with his job as a news reporter more than anything else as far as I know. And the fact that he wrote a highly acclaimed book about Nyerere has fuelled the mis-perception and misconception among some people that he is biased towards Nyerere and did really work for the government in that capacity - you know what!

And in spite of the fact that he does not live in Tanzania, wrote the book after being gone for more than 30 years, and also wrote it when he was in the United States and not in Tanzania where he could have talked to some national leaders about his project, the perception still persists that he wrote such a book because of his position as "a government agent."

I have heard this rubbish even from some of the people I consider to be very intelligent here in Dar but who are just as paranoid. Also, the fact that Dr. Salim and Joseph Butiku read the manuscript of Mwakikagile's book about Nyerere before it was published, as he himself states in his book, did not help, further fuelling rumours of who and what Mwakikagile really is - besides being what he says he is: a simple African, with no power and no influence, as he has always identified himself.

Yet there are people who still dispute that. They believe he is more than what he claims to be - and not just "asimple African."

That's pure rubbish.

People who know Godfrey Mwakikagile and who are very close to him here in Dar and who have connections at the highest levels in the government have vouched for him and still maintain that he never was, never has been, and is not a government agent despite his so-called connection to Nyerere and other people such as Mkapa.

There has also been the accusation that he wanted a high position in the government. That's more rubbish. If he wanted such a position, why did he stay abroad all these years instead of returning to Tanzania? And why did he not return to Tanzania when Mkapa, who sent him to school in the United States and with whom he was in touch after that, became president or when he was minister of foreign affairs among other ministerial posts, if he really wanted a high position in the government? He could have used his ties to Mkapa to seek such a position. But, instead, he stayed away and did not return to Tanzania for reasons discussed earlier under the thread about him, "Where is Godfrey Mwakikagile?" on the Celebrities Forum.

What benefit is he getting from Tanzanian leaders who support Nyerere by living abroad instead of returning to Tanzania? He did not write the book about Nyerere to please them or to please Nyerere's family. I don't even believe he knows the members of Nyerere's family besides Mwalimu Nyerere's eldest son, Andrew, who went to school with us at Tambaza. He wrote it because he wanted to write a book about Nyerere and his leadership as he states in his book, "Nyerere and Africa: End of an Era."

Now comes this ridiculous charge that he stole from somebody else's writings - in spite of the fact that he named the source of the information - unfortunately, a source which did not have the author's name on it; which explains why Mwakikagile did not, and could not, name the author.

Did he have to invent a name and falsely claim that was the name of the author of the pdf file he used after finding it on the Internet?

He did what any other researcher would and could have done in those circumstances. And that is cite the name of the file itself as the source of his/her information. Mwakikagile did that. And it's in the chapter notes on Mozambique.

He is not here at Jamii Forums to defend himself and I doubt he would have been involved in such skirmishes probably besides referring his critics - and, yes, some detractors - to go to the source he has acknowledged and cited. I have sent messages to him indirectly to try and coax him into joining Jamii Forums but I am told he has refused to do so; I don't know for what reason - may be it's a distraction from what he does, writing, I;m not sure.

But there are some people who relish conflict and confusion. Even some of Mwakikagile's relatives and "friends" don't like the fact that he was written some books. Citation of sources by him in his books to prove that he got the information elsewhere mean absolutely nothing to them. I know some of them and I know about a few others.

I don't know if his Mozambican accuser - or whatever he or she is - has ulterior motives when he levelled the charge against him, in spite of the evidence to the contrary in Mwakikagile's book which refutes the accusation. And I don't believe all the Tanzanians who have responded here have anything against him. But there are times when false accusations and unwarranted charges are levelled against innocent people for different reasons. Right here in Tanzania. Dr. Salim's presidential candidacy was ruined that way; coincidentally, a candidacy Godfrey Mwakikagile supported, a fact which has nothing to do with the fact that he knew Salim back in 1972 when he lived in New York and when Salim was our ambassador to the UN.

But it's also true that, as the saying goes, "it comes with the territory." Godfrey Mwakikagile should be used to that. He has, for example, been attacked by black conservatives in the United States for his incisive analysis and criticism of the black conservative phenomenon in that country in his book, "Black Conservatives in The United States." So he knows exactly what it means when people say - "it comes with the territory."

But criticism should be justified.

Ebana Shwari eeeh....mbona unamtetea hivyo Mwakikagile? Ni mshikajo wako nini? Au wewe mwenyewe ndo Mwakikagile?

Ebana Shwari eeeh....mbona unamtetea hivyo Mwakikagile? Ni mshikajo wako nini? Au wewe mwenyewe ndo Mwakikagile?

Sishangai unasema hivyo. Kumbuka kuna mmoja wetu amewahi kusema hapa: "Is Mwanakijiji = Godfrey Mwakikagile?"

Jibu alilopata: "No, Mwanakijiji = Mwanakijiji."

Hata mimi kuna wakati nilidhani hivyo kwamba labda Mwanakijiji ni Mwakikagile kutokana na analyses zake.

Halafu kuna mwingine alisema kuhusu Jasusi: "That's Godfrey Mwakikagile in disguise."

Jasusi kajibu na kusema kwamba "Mwakikagile is a friend of mine."

Jasusi pia ananikumbusha sana kuhusu Mwakikagile. Nilifikiri ndiyo huyo.

Halafu unakuja na kusema mimi pia ni Godfrey Mwakikagile.

Sijamsahau tangu Tambaza. Na sitamsahau.

Shwari,

..haya makombora yanatokea Mozambique lakini utetezi wako umejaa maelezo marefu sana kuhusu Mwakikagile na wa-Tanzania wenzake.

..ungeeleza kuhusu Uria Simango wa Frelimo, na the fact kwamba aliuawa na kina Samora, yeye na mke wake, na mpaka leo makaburi yao hayajulikani yalipo, labda wananchi wangeweza kuelewa kinachoendelea.

Shwari,

..haya makombora yanatokea Mozambique lakini utetezi wako umejaa maelezo marefu sana kuhusu Mwakikagile na wa-Tanzania wenzake.

..ungeeleza kuhusu Uria Simango wa Frelimo, na the fact kwamba aliuawa na kina Samora, yeye na mke wake, na mpaka leo makaburi yao hayajulikani yalipo, labda wananchi wangeweza kuelewa kinachoendelea.

Joka Kuu,

Uria Simango alitaka kummaliza Dr. Eduardo Mondlane. Mondlane alipouawa February 1969, nadhani February 13th, wachache wetu kutoka Tambaza High School tulitembea na kwenda kwenye mazishi yake Kinondoni Cemetery. Uria Simango alizungumza kwenye msiba huo, kwa nguvu sana, lakini baada ya hapo, watu wengi waliona hakuwa na huzuni hata kidogo. Hata mimi nilimwona hivyo siku ile mchana. Na ilikuwa mara ya kwanza nilipomwona Mwalimu Nyerere akitoa majonzi hadharani. Yalikuwa kidogo tu na hakusema chochote siku hiyo.

Nakumbuka mke wa Dr. Mondlane, Janet, aliposimama pembeni pale kaburini na watoto wao wawili. Wengi wetu tulijaa na huzuni lakini siyo Uria Simango.

Yeye mwenyewe alimalizwa. Nilisikia Nachingwea na inawezekana makaburi yao yako huko kama nilivyowahi kusikia. Unaweza kuchunguza zaidi.

Moja ya waandishi maarufu katika vyuo vikuu hapa Marekani na pia watu wengi sana wanatumia vitabu vyake niliwahi kuuliza huyu jamaa yupo wapi lakini sikuweza pata jibu

Shwari said:
Joka Kuu,

Uria Simango alitaka kummaliza Dr. Eduardo Mondlane. Mondlane alipouawa February 1969, nadhani February 13th, wachache wetu kutoka Tambaza High School tulitembea na kwenda kwenye mazishi yake Kinondoni Cemetery. Uria Simango alizungumza kwenye msiba huo, kwa nguvu sana, lakini baada ya hapo, watu wengi waliona hakuwa na huzuni hata kidogo. Hata mimi nilimwona hivyo siku ile mchana. Na ilikuwa mara ya kwanza nilipomwona Mwalimu Nyerere akitoa majonzi hadharani. Yalikuwa kidogo tu na hakusema chochote siku hiyo.

Nakumbuka mke wa Dr. Mondlane, Janet, aliposimama pembeni pale kaburini na watoto wao wawili. Wengi wetu tulijaa na huzuni lakini siyo Uria Simango.

Yeye mwenyewe alimalizwa. Nilisikia Nachingwea na inawezekana makaburi yao yako huko kama nilivyowahi kusikia. Unaweza kuchunguza zaidi.

Shwari,

..binafsi sikuwepo wakati wa mazishi ya Edward Mondlane kwa hiyo siwezi kujua kama Uria Simango alionekana vipi siku hiyo.

..pia naomba kuuliza kama wewe binafsi unamfahamu vizuri Uria Simango kiasi cha kuweza kusema kwa uhakika kama kweli alihuzunishwa na kifo cha Mondlane kwa kumtizama kwa muda mfupi siku ya mazishi ya Mondlane..

..binafsi naona tatizo linaweza kutokea kwa hao jamaa wa Uria Simango ambaye aliuawa na kina Samora Machel bila ya kupewa nafasi ya kujitetea ktk mahakama inayoeleweka. mpaka sasa hivi makaburi ya Uria Simango na mkewe hayajulikani yalipo.

Shwari,
Thanks for coming out with this info. Hata mimi nina high respect for Mwakikagile, siyo kwamba
tu wote ni alumni wa Tambaza, but for the works he has done. Now I too can go look for some pop corn.

The title of the publication contained in the pdf file provided "The Tortuos Road to Democracy in Mozambique" (see: http://www.palgrave.com/pdfs/0333920015.pdf ) is clearly printed on top of each page.

So how on earth would a scholar of Mwakakilige's level fail to notice this obvious fact and consequently exercise requisite due diligence to find out details behind the publication including its author?

What is overlooked is the fact that he cited the source, the pdf file. And I am not even sure Mwakikagile types all or any of his manuscripts. I am not trying to provide an excuse for anything but secretarial errors do occur. And even if he typed the manuscript himself, he was still careful enough to name the pdf file he used and cited several times as the source of his information on Mozambique. There is one book by him, I don't know if it's "Military Coups in West Africa Since The Sixties" or "Ethnic Politics in Kenya and Nigeria; A Comparative Study," about which the editor of a book review magazine - the review is on Barnes&Noble - says has"noticeable typos." I don't know if Mwakikagile's publisher in New York corrected that in subsequent editions or not.

And there is another reviewer on amazon.com who said Godfrey Mwakikagile writes too much and too fast - that's why he has so many titles on the market. I don't know exactly what his point was. But if that is indeed the case, some omissions can occur although Mwakikagile has been careful not t omit his sources. That's why he cited several times in his book the pdf file he used.

There is also something else involved concerning Mwakikagile's work as I have pointed out. And that is the conflict in Mozambique itself where some people, some of whom I know, don't like Mwakikagile's work anymore than they do Frelimo or Nyerere.

It does not mean mistakes should not be pointed out. They should be. But also acknowledge that the source Mwakikagile used about Mozambique has been cited, which is an acknowledgement on his part that he is not the source of the information he used.

And I hope no proxy wars are going to be waged here between Frelimo and anti-Frelimo forces! Mwakikagile admits both exist in Mozambique even today and mentions them, with attribution, in his book "Nyerere and Africa: End of an Era."

But it's also true that, as the saying goes, "it comes with the territory." Godfrey Mwakikagile should be used to that. He has, for example, been attacked by black conservatives in the United States for his incisive analysis and criticism of the black conservative phenomenon in that country in his book, "Black Conservatives in The United States." So he knows exactly what it means when people say - "it comes with the territory."

But criticism should be justified.

Wow! your story is gripping!

I think he aspired to be the best in writings, and he is doing so perfectly.

Je ni kweli kuwa ameshawahi kuwekwa kizuizini na serikali ya Tanzania kupitia usalama wa taifa? or is it just a rumors?

Shwari, kwanza shukrani kwa sababu umetupa somewhat the other side of the story and what is probably behind the story. Ukiangalia nadhani tatizo ambalo critic ameandika inahusiana na sentensi ambazo zinaonekana kuchukuliwa moja kwa moja toka kwenye hiyo pdf bila alama au dalili ya kuonesha kuwa siyo maneno ya mtunzi.

Niliwahi kuuliza hapa juu ya hotuba moja ya Mkapa ambayo kwangu naamini ilikuwa ni copy and paste ya hotuba ya Nyerere. Nyerere ya kwake ilikuwa na sehemu inayohusu "utanganyika" na Mkapa ya kwake ilikuwa ni kuhusu "Utanzania" wote wawili walikuwa wanazungumzia maadili yanayomtofautisha Mtanzania.

Labda swali ni je inatosha kutaja source kwa ujumla wake lakini kutounganisha sentensi unazotumia na source ile? Yaani, mtu atajuaje kuwa kauli fulani inatoka kwenye source fulani iliyotajwa mahali pengine bila kuzihusisha?

Shwari,

..binafsi sikuwepo wakati wa mazishi ya Edward Mondlane kwa hiyo siwezi kujua kama Uria Simango alionekana vipi siku hiyo.

..pia naomba kuuliza kama wewe binafsi unamfahamu vizuri Uria Simango kiasi cha kuweza kusema kwa uhakika kama kweli alihuzunishwa na kifo cha Mondlane kwa kumtizama kwa muda mfupi siku ya mazishi ya Mondlane..

..binafsi naona tatizo linaweza kutokea kwa hao jamaa wa Uria Simango ambaye aliuawa na kina Samora Machel bila ya kupewa nafasi ya kujitetea ktk mahakama inayoeleweka. mpaka sasa hivi makaburi ya Uria Simango na mkewe hayajulikani yalipo.

Hata kama judgement yangu ni mbaya kuhusu sura ya Uria Simango siku ile kwenye mazishi ya Dr. Mondlane, watu waliomfahamu sana walimwona kama mtu ambaye hana huzuni hata kidogo. Zaidi ya hapo, kulikuwa na power struggle katik Frelimo na Simango ndiye aliyetaka kuchukua nafasi ya Dr, Mondlane. Serikali yetu ilikuwa upande wa Mondlane na watu wengi wanaweza ku verify jambo hilo nadhani watu kama Jasusi.

Sijui ulitaka Simango ajitetee vipi wakati alinaswa katika mpango wake wa kumwondoa Mondlane. It depends on which you are on, of course, lakini serikali ya Tanzania ilijaribu sana kuwasaidia wapigania uhuru Mozambique waungane.

Kuhusu makaburi, naamini yako Nachingwea.

Wow! your story is gripping!

I think he aspired to be the best in writings, and he is doing so perfectly.

Je ni kweli kuwa ameshawahi kuwekwa kizuizini na serikali ya Tanzania kupitia usalama wa taifa? or is it just a rumors?

Inawezekana ameponea chupuchupu!

Ninachojua ni kwamba wenzake, Charles Kizigha na Jenerali Ulimwengu ambao alifanya nao kazi pamoja pale "Daily News," waliwahi kuwekwa kizuizini.

Kizigha alikamatwa na leaflets za Kambona uwanja wa taifa baada ya ndege kudondosha vikaratasi hivyo uwanja wa Saba Saba. Nilivyojua ni kwamba hakuwa na nia mbaya lakini wana Usalama wa Taifa walimnasa. Nilisikia alikuwa anavikusanya tu, kutoka chini na kuwaambia watu walioviokota wampe hivyo vi leaflets, ili awape wana Usalama wa Taifa. Sijui ukweli zaidi y hayo. Pia sijui kama wana usalama walimwona kama ana interfere na kazi yao au vipi. Yeye mwenyewe alikuwa mwandishi wa habari gazet la serikali. Kwahiyo labda alikuwa na perspective nyingine na aliona ni wajibu wake kufanya hivyo kama mtumishi wa serikali.

Kuhusu Ulimwengu, nilisikia aliwekwa kizuizini in the 1980s, probably in the mid-1980s.

Kuhusu Ulimwengu, nilisikia aliwekwa kizuizini in the 1980s, probably in the mid-1980s.

Aliwekwa kizuizini na nani maana alikuwa anapendwa sana na Nyerere pamoja na Samora, tena ni miongoni mwa waliokuwa viongozi wa TAMOFA - kwenye makabrasha kuna picha moja wako msituni na Samora kwenye meza ya mti!

Back
Top Bottom