East African Federation (EAF) public Views

Tanzania is an underdog in the EAC common market

Published on: Thu, 07/08/2010 - 1:43pm

Evarist Kagaruki

The coming into effect on July 1, of the EAC Common Market Protocol heralds the beginning of the integration of the economies of the community’s member countries, namely Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi. The long-awaited landmark treaty is essentially about free movement of people, capital, labour, goods and services as well as the right of establishment in the region.
The Protocol creates a single regional market for over 120 million people who, hitherto, were having difficulty integrating and trading with each other in the region. It also enables the Partner States to stand as one strong bloc that can easily penetrate overseas markets and tap foreign capital through investments. The Common Market further consolidates regional integration after the establishment of the Customs Union in January 2005.
With the removal of restrictions under the Common Market Protocol, the EAC citizens will now be able to interact and conduct business among themselves (as East Africans) and invest anywhere in the region. That is the essence of regional integration from the perspective of the ordinary “wananchi” who are the real beneficieries of cooperation in the community.
But while the benefits deriving from the Common Market are obvious (as afore-stated), looking at the big picture one also sees the great disadvantages, especially for a country like Tanzania which had joined the regional economic cooperation as a desperate underdog in the economic sense. I will explain.
Since the adoption of market policies in Tanzania, the economy has continued to have a weak supply capacity due to lack of protection of the infant domestic industries; and also because of low levels of investment in the manufacturing sector and in agriculture.
Because of the unguided liberalisation regime, the country has been turned into a virtual dumping ground of subsidised cheap (and in most cases substandard) imports. This has killed the manufacturing sub-sector and subjected local producers to unfair competition.
Compare and contrast this situation with that of Kenya, for example, where, despite their trade being liberalized as well, they have in place a policy framework that ensures strict regulation of the country’s trade regime. The Kenyan government makes serious interventions in the liberalised trade by way of selective import restrictions (or trade barriers) to ensure total protection of local industries, the market and the economy in general.
Because of this fundamental difference in policy-orientation, Kenya boasts a strong and thriving economy with the capacity to produce high quality (competitive) goods of international standards. Tanzania’s industrial base, on the other hand, remains weak (and vulnerable) and capable only of manufacturing comparatively inferior products that can hardly compete in the regional, let alone global, market.
The Protocol on Standardisation, Quality Assurance, Metrology and Testing, which came into force on January 2001, will no doubt help Tanzania improve the quality of her industrial products. The Protocol provides for a regional mechanism that would ensure that goods and services traded in the EAC are up to the set standards which conform to WTO rules. But this is a big challenge to the government which, with the establishment of the EAC Common Market, will need to rethink its policy on industrialisation with a view to protecting our industries and enhancing their capacity to produce quality goods. Short of that, Tanzania shall continue to be a net importer of product made in the other EAC member states and a perpetual exporter of raw materials (rather than value-added goods) to the regional market.

Tanzania is an underdog in the EAC common market | TheExpress Online & PigaHODI.com - Tanzania's News and Information Gateway

mkuu ELIAKEEM.....mbona hizo ulizoorodhesha kuwa attrbute za slums ziko sana huko UWANJA WA FISI na maeneo mengi tu ya DAR au hujawah kufika hiyo mitaa.....

Huyo Eliakeem yuataka kujifanya eti ajua sana tu, wala hajui chochote. He's just an empty-minded guy, and if he attended any institution, then he is doing a disgrace to himself, cause he acts like a ten-year-old. Sorry to say.

mkuu ELIAKEEM.....mbona hizo ulizoorodhesha kuwa attrbute za slums ziko sana huko UWANJA WA FISI na maeneo mengi tu ya DAR au hujawah kufika hiyo mitaa.....

Hapana mkuu,

kitu ambacho tunatofautiana ni kiasi. Kule bongo, ukienda mfano manzese utakuta nyumba moja imechoka, inayofuatia ni ghorofa ambayo thamani yake ni zaidi ya Us $ 90 au 100 kabisa, na hii ndiyo trend ya unplanned sttements zote za Tz. kuna mchanganyiko wa nyuma za kati na zile zenye thamani kubwa sana. Na sasa Tz gentrification inafanyika, muda si mrefu sehemu kama manzese zitakuwa na nyumba nzuri.
Hali haipo hivyo slums za kenya. ni hatari maeneo yako katika hali mbaya.
Ona hii Homeless International - Kenya
halafu linganisha na Homeless International - Tanzania

Huyo Eliakeem yuataka kujifanya eti ajua sana tu, wala hajui chochote. He's just an empty-minded guy, and if he attended any institution, then he is doing a disgrace to himself, cause he acts like a ten-year-old. Sorry to say.

Teh, teh, visit kenya on the same website, then you will see. west and east.

Teh, teh, you are not taxed to utter such words boy. I wish we could meet so as we talk.

Hapana mkuu,

kitu ambacho tunatofautiana ni kiasi. Kule bongo, ukienda mfano manzese utakuta nyumba moja imechoka, inayofuatia ni ghorofa ambayo thamani yake ni zaidi ya Us $ 90 au 100 kabisa, na hii ndiyo trend ya unplanned sttements zote za Tz. kuna mchanganyiko wa nyuma za kati na zile zenye thamani kubwa sana. Na sasa Tz gentrification inafanyika, muda si mrefu sehemu kama manzese zitakuwa na nyumba nzuri.
Hali haipo hivyo slums za kenya. ni hatari maeneo yako katika hali mbaya.
Ona hii Homeless International - Kenya
halafu linganisha na Homeless International - Tanzania

You see how you contradict yourself, the same report states that 92% live in slums, why do you have to keep exposing your ignorance further. As i said, in the first place, this issue need not arise because there isn't nothing to compare here, or to insinuate like the way you are doing, while you don't realize what you have in your homeland. I believe its also not necessary for me to post pictures here to prove that your arguments (in red) are unfounded. Kibera, for instance is destined to be non-existence in the next few years.
So, i think you should just quit arguing uselessly.

You see how you contradict yourself, the same report states that 92% live in slums, why do you have to keep exposing your ignorance further. As i said, in the first place, this issue need not arise because there isn't nothing to compare here, or to insinuate like the way you are doing, while you don't realize what you have in your homeland. I believe its also not necessary for me to post pictures here to prove that your arguments (in red) are unfounded. Kibera, for instance is destined to be non-existence in the next few years. So, i think you should just quit arguing uselessly.

Teh, teh, boy, go on with your wishful thinking. Kibera is kenya and kinya is kibera.
Dont compare those isolated incidence in bongo with the persistence ones in nairobery.

Posted Monday, July 5 2010 at 00:00

Kenya has pledged to move with speed to amend immigration, citizenship and nationality laws to make them conform to the provisions of the just-launched East African Community Common Market protocol.

Related Stories

Also targeted for speedy amendment are commercial laws, especially those dealing with registration of companies and other business entities, bankruptcy and insolvency, as well as investment laws.

The country will also immediately implement President Mwai Kibaki’s June 30 directive that work permits requirement for citizens of other EAC member states be waived.

According to Kenya’s East African Community minister, Jeffah Kingi, the coming into force of the Common Market protocol on July 1 has “excited” East Africans, “who now want to enjoy the accompanying benefits”.

“Kenyans in particular and East Africans in general are eager to start enjoying the benefits of a Common Market. There is therefore a need to move with speed in effecting the necessary legal and administrative reforms,” Mr Kingi told journalists last Friday in Nairobi as he received the Report on the Taskforce on the Common Market Protocol Legal Reforms.

Mr Kingi said that on the day the protocol came into force, people flocked to the main border points, wanting to cross the borders without necessary travel documents.

“That shows you the eagerness with which East Africans have embraced the Common Market,” he said.

The taskforce was appointed by Mr Kingi about two months ago to take audit of Kenyan laws, identify the ones that need to be amended to make them conform to the provisions of the Common Market protocol - and recommend the actual changes required.

The report was expected to be transmitted to the Attorney-General Amos Wako, who will prepare a Miscellaneous Amendment Bill.

The protocol provides for a progressive implementation of the Common Market; this means reforms required to pave the way for enjoyment of immediate benefits will have to be implemented with urgency.

According to the taskforce, amendment to the Immigration laws should be done immediately to provide for uniformity in the documents required for travel within the region, and the replacement of aliens identification cards with residence permits.

This amendment will allow for free movement of persons and also make it possible for East Africans who want to reside in another partner state get residence permit in accordance to the provisions of the right of residence.

Currently, Kenya’s immigration laws define the East African Community to be comprising Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

The laws ignore Rwanda and Burundi which formally joined the regional trading bloc as full members in June 2007.

Kenya became the second EAC country after Rwanda to waive work permit requirement for citizens of other member states following a directive by President Kibaki on the eve of the coming into force of the protocol.

Teh, teh, boy, go on with your wishful thinking. Kibera is kenya and kinya is kibera.
Dont compare those isolated incidence in bongo with the persistence ones in nairobery.

But i hope you now realize that they are slums too and not what you wanted to brand them. And they are not isolated, they are very extensive, so to say. I won't go further than that for now, but if you want more proofs.....
And indeed i understand that you want me to keep informing you on facts that you don't know, i'll do exactly that:
Now look at this below:

05_standard_kiberas_new_housing_irony_mud_structures_090830_small1.jpg _46390789_dsc_0545.jpg raila1-300x180.jpg 0011_kib_small2.jpg

those are the few images i have managed to get, just google SLUM UPGRADING IN KENYA if you want more. in the background is the new kibera.

here are some links as well on the projects:
squattercity: slum clearance?
SLUM UPGRADING

But i hope you now realize that they are slums too and not what you wanted to brand them. And they are not isolated, they are very extensive, so to say. I won't go further than that for now, but if you want more proofs.....
And indeed i understand that you want me to keep informing you on facts that you don't know, i'll do exactly that:
Now look at this below:

View attachment 11629View attachment 11630 View attachment 11631 View attachment 11632

those are the few images i have managed to get, just google SLUM UPGRADING IN KENYA if you want more. in the background is the new kibera.

here are some links as well on the projects:
squattercity: slum clearance?
SLUM UPGRADING

Wewe Kibera boy. as i told you the other day. you have a SUP because slums are existing in multitude, we have have CIUP because our settlements are not well planned to accommodate the infrastructure. you gave me a very nice link. look close to it with your open mind.

We kibwengo una hela gani?.... sio tu Hennessy, natumiaga Pierre Ferrand na Remy Ma, zipo za dala 40, 70 mpaka 1000..Nikiwa na ghadhabu nakata Scotch..hiyo mataptap ya diabetes mellitus sijui Tusker hiyo ni yenyu nyie wavuja jasho..

...you re sooooo g-ay!

Mzee,
Kujibu hoja yako ni rahisi tu, wazungu bado wanavuna malighafi kutokana kwa nchi maskini. Na sasa pengine wapo kwene stage mbaya zaidi ya pia kudhibiti bei yake, masoko, nguvukazi na hata maendeleo ya kitaalamu. Nilishasema hii EAC ni mpango wenye picha kubwa ya kuhakikisha wanachukua dhima nzima ya kumiliki njia za uchumi. Huhitaji darubini kuona wageni wawekezaji wanavyoabudiwa pamoja na kwamba faida yake haionekani. Masoko ndio hivyo tena, wanataka tupunguze kodi au kuiondoa kwene bidhaa zinazozalishwa ndani ya EAC huku wakijua fika nani atafaidika kwa sababu wamiliki wanajulikana kuwa si wazawa.

Ushauri wangu kwa serikali ya Tz ni rahisi tu, tuanze sasa kuwa wabinafsi. Tujiangalie kama taifa kwanza na tuweke maslahi yetu mbele na tuache hii madness ya kutaka kushirikiana au kushare-share hovyohovyo, ambako at the end of the day benefits ni ndogo au sufuri. Hii ndio njia pekee ya kufikia maendeleo. Ni njia ngumu na inayohitaji originality ya fikra na sio copy & paste kama ulivosema.

We need to establish our own forces and structures of labor, training, machinery,manufacturing, energy, technology. Tuko na kila kitu cha msingi cha kufanikisha haya, tuko na maji, fossils deposit kwa ajili fuels, ardhi ya kutosha, na soko la watu zaidi ya 40ml. It is unimaginable a country with this potential eti inaagiza hadi chopsticks na furniture, juisi kutoka arabuni hadi dawa za meno. etc etc etc.inaghadhabisha sana.

Eti yatawezekana tukiungana!!

As much as we don't look outside our villages, counties, provinces, regions and country borders as intellectuals, Africa is never destined to develop.
I would personally like it when EAC is ruled by one government, shares same facilities of transport communication, education forms, health etc etc. But as long as we continue looking at our neighbors like enemies or rather competitors, we won't go far.
Personally, i do not view the EAF as just a trade partnership thing, because of the objectives laid out which covers major issues than just simple trade.

Mai-ntellectuals wa Kenya hawawezi kukaa kwa amani na Mkikuyu vs mkalenjin vs mluo lakini wanasema wanaweza kukaa salama na makabila ya Tanzania ambayo ni zaidi ya 150 ... ..Mhhhhh think about that? Hata uchaguzi wao wa mwisho tu walikatana mapanga na majambia then wanasema wanaweza kukubali rais kutoka Tanzania! Mhhhh Mhhh.... think about that? Iko namna sio bure .... waswahili walisema usione vinaelea vimeundwa.

Sasa hii intelligence sijui ni ya kutoka kuzimu au kwa shetani?

Mai-ntellectuals wa Kenya hawawezi kukaa kwa amani na Mkikuyu vs mkalenjin vs mluo lakini wanasema wanaweza kukaa salama na makabila ya Tanzania ambayo ni zaidi ya 150 ... ..Mhhhhh think about that? Hata uchaguzi wao wa mwisho tu walikatana mapanga na majambia then wanasema wanaweza kukubali rais kutoka Tanzania! Mhhhh Mhhh.... think about that? Iko namna sio bure .... waswahili walisema usione vinaelea vimeundwa.

Sasa hii intelligence sijui ni ya kutoka kuzimu au kwa shetani?

this coon is acting as if the above mentioned tribes dont live, work, drink, intermarry, do business together e.c.t.. This people live together in urban centers, politicians are the ones who drive wedges between them for political millage. Its not like the post election violence is something that always occur, we've had peaceful democratic elections for a while. Tanzanians are still immature politically, your democracy is still young and untested with your one party state, you havent crossed all the hurdles, considering your low literacy levels, unexploited natural resources, the ever increasing gap between the rich and the poor, you are bound to explode any time. Dont laugh to soon boy.

this coon is acting as if the above mentioned tribes dont live, work, drink, intermarry, do business together e.c.t.. This people live together in urban centers, politicians are the ones who drive wedges between them for political millage. Its not like the post election violence is something that always occur, we've had peaceful democratic elections for a while. Tanzanians are still immature politically, your democracy is still young and untested with your one party state, you havent crossed all the hurdles, considering your low literacy levels, unexploited natural resources, the ever increasing gap between the rich and the poor, you are bound to explode any time. Dont laugh to soon boy.

Kimada
Sasa kama democracy imekomaa kwa nini unaendelea kuwa kimada? Then kwa nini unataka kwenda ambako hakuna democracy? You mean Moi, Mungiki brother, Kibaki, Raila are the ones who massacre the Luos, Kalenjins, Kikuyus etc? You are in denial. Deny deny deny .... .... all are lies. There we are together. Even the recent bomb was sent by Raila khe khe kheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Kimada
Sasa kama democracy imekomaa kwa nini unaendelea kuwa kimada? Then kwa nini unataka kwenda ambako hakuna democracy? You mean Moi, Mungiki brother, Kibaki, Raila are the ones who massacre the Luos, Kalenjins, Kikuyus etc? You are in denial. Deny deny deny .... .... all are lies. There we are together. Even the recent bomb was sent by Raila khe khe kheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ignore this guy, it is apparent that his intentions are to pour out his ignorance and stupidity because he is just a cyber coward. He should tell us who massacres poor albinos in his country if he thinks he knows too much of kenya's woes.

Kimada

tehehehe.. WTF does Kimada mean? seriously? its evident you know nothing about kenyan politics by your rhetoric... And you want to know the reason why I am always in Bongolala land, simple, because of coons like you, people who have no education and depend on foreigners to do some simple hings for them at an inflated amount. you need me more than you think. And ohh, its on a Friday, you know how it goes down with em well endowed Tanzanian broads who you can never tap till you get your paper game right. You survive in Bongo, we living up in this b*tch.

Mauaji ya albino ni mabaya na ndiyo maana wanaofanya hivyo wanasubiri kunyongwa ingawa hiyo haitoshi kwa sababu Tanzania kwa sasa inaongozwa na makuwadi kama nyie na ndiyi maana mnapata hata nafasi ya kubwa bwaja hapa JF. Lakini ukilinganisha na your chronic tribalism na amabyo ni kama cancer kwenu na ambayo haitaisha, ni kama tone kwenye bahari. Hatutaki ushirikiano wowote na Mkenya, mnaseman you have brains, kaaeni nazo muendeleze nchini yenu wakimbizi, si kukimbilia Tanzania, sisi siyo baba zenu. Kama ardhi, Japan na Uswiss hazikuwa donor countries kwa kuwa zina ardhi kubwa. Besides, opportunities are everywhere even in Kenya, but you seem them in TZ, you must be running from something else, nchi yenu haikaliki. We don't need you, stay away. How did Japs, and all other developed countries create opportunities. Let's only work bilaterally, na si vinginevyo.