African Satellite World and Sat Gear

REVIEW OF SRT 4930 HD SATELLITE RECEIVER

The Strong SRT 4930 HD series first appeared on the market way back in 2010 and I bought my first standard version of this receiver in January 2011. To me it was a big improvement over my only other Strong HD stb (at the time) namely SRT 4900.
First the tuner was more sensitive especially after new SW patches started coming out. Over a period of time I acquired other versions of SRT 4930 including the only LINUX stb which is by far the most expensive and also most versatile model from Strong (SRT 4930L). There are three versions of SRT 4930 that I know of and that I have ever owned. There is the old standard model SRT 4930 HD with just basic functions and ports. Then there is the SRT 4930 HD with LAN port that could handle limited internet functions like YouTube, hardstations, and weather. Then there is the SRT 4930L HD with its LINUX OS, 2 USB ports and 2 card readers.
SRT 4930L is far far ahead of SRT 4922. It is very fast in all espects and it is unfare even comparing the two stbs.
How can you compare a Ferrari with a Corolla?
If you have ever used a Linux box like Dreambox, then you will understand what I mean.
Its WI-FI specs include capability to handle Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Youtube, Picasa photo, Weather, Maps, Internet radio, RSS, Google mail, Hotmail, Webtv, Hardcore, and many many more. You just plug in your modem for internet and it turns your TV into a Smart TV with internet and smart phone connectivity.
Last weekend I pulled out my old SRT 4930 HD (the std original basic model) from my store, dusted it and upgraded it with the latest SW patch from Crosat. I was surprised when it opened Dgt channels on 7E, plus it flawlessly opened all PV channels on IS20 after entering the keys. Its media player is far superior to the one in SRT 4922 series with nice and smooth slow motion replay plus smooth fast forwarding, unlike the jerkiness/glitchness when playing in the same mode on SRT 4922.
I was preparing it for a relative upcountry but I have now changed my mind and decided to keep it for myself despite having SRT 4930L (Linux) and many others. The upcountry relative will now get another new stb instead.
That is what ASAS does to you.
This model was popular especially in West Africa and some parts of southern Africa like Zambia, Zimbabwe etc.
I doubt if it is still in production although you may still find a new one as a leftover in some shops.
So guys if you come accross SRT 4930 being sold even as second hand, just buy and you will not regret.
It can also use remotes from SRT 4900/4910, and SRT 4922 series.

Hahaha...you have no idea what you just did. I have my 4930 too in store, I'll dust it up and see what it's capable of now that you mention it. The software version you mention, is it 173p?

@drodanzero yes it does from info i have gathered here. I have also seen the keys but i havent tested yet. Thet are found under Menu-System setting -Patch menu-Seca.

SAAyacolu et al The new patch i find it rather unstable and weird. I blind scan my Sat every morning if i get the time and i have noted it doesnt add new Tps easily eg you input it manually and it pops with a signal of 39% but not found after blindscan.
Additional null tps eg you get 0H5000/1/2.
Will remember some other issues i have noted and post.

Last edited by a moderator:
PTV Sports and PTV National, Live football schedule today and tomorrow

Paksat 1R satellite on frequency>>>

PTV Sports
20962766322_9ce0815d76_z.jpg

PTV National
20962766352_40cccab7fc_z.jpg

Saw this and thought its worth sharing. homemade scalar rings. Will try out one.

Attachments

• 1440854428950.jpg
    1440854428950.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1440854446887.jpg
    1440854446887.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 1440854516272.jpg
    1440854516272.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 271
thr3eee yes it is you can use provided you use a scalar ring. U can read about that in earlier posts

Bravo kungu,per the beam on satbeams,it's fringe to those of us in West Africa
However,ur location is within the beam,but then u confirmed using 2.4M dish to nab the beam
Am thinking of trying with a 3M dish.....However could u pls give me the signal quality as a guide
Thanks

Obtained new fta arsenal (mti high line lnb's AK54-XT2N and AP82-XT2N and X finder[ sat, T-2 & cable meter) and awaiting to be tested especially on fringe reception

Saw this and thought its worth sharing. homemade scalar rings. Will try out one.
GIDEN, have you tried these and what were the results? Where can one get one, plus those brackets?

Back
Top Bottom