Zitto: For aid to be effective, the taxpayers need to know

Need we say More!!

Stop sending aid to Africa while you live in London? New York? She flies between cities giving talks [mostly to feminist, who consider her a great success and Not to economists, who can ask difficult questions]. In my opinions, she would be more productive if she lives in Zambia and teach Zambians how to survive without aid...rather than hide in a posh apartment in London, telling people not to help Africa. Yes..it's an idea. But how far are we sure that cutting off aid to Africa is going to trigger economic development? Put it differently, who knows that Africa would have been better off without foreign aid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop sending aid to Africa while you live in London? New York? She flies between cities giving talks [mostly to feminist, who consider her a great success and Not to economists, who can ask difficult questions]. In my opinions, she would be more productive if she lives in Zambia and teach Zambians how to survive without aid...rather than hide in a posh apartment in London, telling people not to help Africa. Yes..it's an idea. But how far are we sure that cutting off aid to Africa is going to trigger economic development? Put it differently, who knows that Africa would have been better off without foreign aid?

Obviously you didn't bother to listen (for whatever reason) to Dambisa Moyo in the interviews shown in these videos, for otherwise you wouldn't have asked such superflous and totally irrelevant questions like you've done here and elsewhere. It's the message that matters stupid, and not the messenger!

Did more African aid deliver fewer coups?

Page last updated at 7:56 GMT, Tuesday, 25 May 2010 8:56 UK

By Martin Plaut Africa analyst, BBC News
_47913877_afpcomposite466300.jpg

Five years on from one of the most ambitious aid packages ever devised for Africa, the reviews have been mixed on how successful the plans have been in reality.
When developed nations met at the Gleneagles Summit in 2005, they promised to double their aid to Africa by 2010, while Africa said it would end the coups and corruption that have blighted the lives of millions.

I am sorry we did not respect our promises, we are sorry we reduced aid to Africa
Silvio Berlusconi Italian prime minister
The publication of two reports shows that both sides have gone some way towards fulfilling those pledges, while falling short in other areas.
And they highlight how Africa is now moving beyond the era of aid and dependency.
Have the rich countries delivered on their promises?
The answer to this - from Data (the organisation set up to monitor the promises made in 2005) - is clearly no.
Good cop, bad cop
In 2005, developed nations known as the G7 agreed to "an increase in official development assistance to Africa of $25bn [£17bn] a year by 2010, more than doubling aid to Africa compared to 2004".
The best estimate is that by the end of this year the G7 nations (Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK and US) will have provided just 61% of this planned increase.
But this total hides some really significant differences.
The report highlights the achievement of the UK, which has seen the fastest growth, in relation to the size of its economy (see graph below).
_47911821_aid_africa_466.gif

Perhaps this is not surprising, since the Gleneagles summit was the brainchild of the then British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
But it is not just the quantity of British aid that is impressive, it is the quality.
The UK's aid agency Dfid is singled out in the report as "the world's most respected bilateral aid agency".
By comparison the Italian effort - with development aid actually falling by $235m (£163m) since 2004 - is described as "appalling".
Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was forced to apologise for this performance in July 2009, saying: "I am sorry we did not respect our promises, we are sorry we reduced aid to Africa, and for this reason we have opened a debate within the government."
_47912047_000112781-1.jpg

School attendance in Zambia has reached 90% thanks to aid
So far this debate has failed to produce results and Data suggests that Italy should now be excluded from future discussions on aid.

Perhaps the most important achievement since 2005 has been to severely reduce African debt.
Almost $100bn (£69bn) has been written off, or is about to be.
But the report warns that this trend could go into reverse, with 28 African countries building up debts again and now classed by the IMF and World Bank as having a high or moderate "debt distress".

Shady business
A parallel report, produced by the Africa Progress Panel, chaired by the former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is equally critical.
AFRICA'S ILLICIT MONEY DRAIN

$854bn (£593bn) left Africa illicitly between 1970 and 2008:
  • $89.5bn (£62bn) from Nigeria
  • $70.5bn (£49bn) from Egypt
  • $25.7bn (£17.8bn) from Algeria
  • $25bn (£17.35bn) from Morocco
  • $24.9bn (£17.3bn) from South Africa
Source: Global Financial Integrity

It shows that while African leaders are increasingly willing to sign up to international treaties promising good governance, they frequently fail to live up to their promises.
"Chronic problems remain, including state fragility, corruption and widespread lack of basic freedoms."

The report goes on to highlight recent trends.
"The most high-profile setback is the return of coups d'etat - the last five years have seen violent and unconstitutional changes of government in Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Madagascar, Mauritania and Niger - despite the professed zero-tolerance policy of the African Union."
Michael Keating, director of the panel secretariat told the BBC: "Governance and leadership are still the missing ingredients in Africa's development."

The most scandalous example of this is the way in which the continent continues to be plundered - frequently with the connivance of its rulers.
The report says some $854bn (£593bn) left Africa illicitly between 1970 and 2008. When mispricing of services and smuggling are added, this rises to a staggering $1.8 trillion (£1.2 trillion), with between $37bn (£26bn) and $53bn (£37bn) lost in 2008 alone.

The Africa Panel Report says that this outflow is facilitated by a "global shadowy financial system comprising tax havens, secrecy jurisdictions, disguised corporations, anonymous trust accounts, fake foundations, trade mispricing and money-laundering techniques".
But perhaps the most important message is that the era of aid and dependency may now be a thing of the past.

Power of the private purse
Africa is continuing to grow despite the barriers thrown up by a skewed international trading system, corrupt governments and rapacious warlords.
The ingredients of success are not a mystery
Kofi Annan Former UN secretary general
Aid was important in softening the blow of the economic crisis, but now other flows dwarf the contributions of the G7.
Far more is now given by workers sending home remittances from abroad, by private investors and by some of the giant philanthropic trusts, like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation or the Ford Foundation.
Aid has played its part. This is clear from both these reports.
It has helped millions into school, with 75% of children now attending classes across Africa. In Burkina Faso and Zambia attendance has reached 90%.
Malaria has been tackled through the delivery of bed-nets, with 200 million delivered by the end of 2009.
And nearly three million people now receive anti-retroviral drugs to fight HIV/Aids, compared with 100,000 in 2003.
As Kofi Annan puts it: "The ingredients of success are not a mystery."
With growth, good government and continued international involvement, Africa can provide for its people.

Zitto na wengine waliopo na waliotangulia ni wale wale tu. Tatizo letu waafrika na hasa watanzania ni kufikiria kwamba tutaendelea bila kutaabika....hilo halitatokea. Bahati mbaya hata viongozi wanaopatikana baada ya kuiba kura/kupigiwa kura na wajinga bado wana mawazo kwamba kuna siku wataaamka wakute mahospitali yamejengwa, barabara zote ni lami, madawa yapo ya bure n.k. kitu ambacho ni ndoto.

Mimi kila mara huwa na sema ni lazima watanzania tufike mahali tujue kwamba tuanze kidogo kidogo baada ya muda tutaendelea. Mbona vibabnda vyetu vya kuishi tunavijenga kwa miaka 6-8? kwa nini tusikujenge ndani ya usiku mmoja tukamaliza? sababu ni kuwa hatuna hela hiyo ya mkupuo. Sasa kama hali ni hiyo at individual level, serikali inafikiria itapata wapi pesa ya mkupuo?

Kinacho takiwa kufanywa na watawala ni kuwa na malengo ya muda mrefu kwamba kila bajeti ktk miaka 5 serikali inajipangia kujenga either hospitali moja kubwa, au kiwanja cha ndege kikubwa au barabara moja kubwa au chuo kikuu kikubwa n.k. vivyo hivyo kwa idara zake ktk bajeti zake mwisho wa siku sema kama baada ya miaka 20 utakuta nchi imebadilika.

kinacho tusumbua kama zitto alivyo ni kuzoea pesa ya bure anayolipwa ya vikao na semina, sasa anafikiri na nchi itaendelea kwa njia hiyo...hakuna!! Na mimi nina imani watanzania kwa raslimali zilizopo tukiwa na mawazo ya kujipangia mikakati ya muda mrefu tunaweza kuendelea haraka, kinacho takiwa ni kubadirika ktk mipango yetu ya kiuchumi.

I dont even know ametokea wapi na anachokisema kwa data zipi alizonazo na hiyo nchi yake iliyofaidika na mikopo ni ipi? labda burundi maana kama ni hii Tanzania ni yetu wote sio ya udhanifu kweli hakuna kitu kibaya kama kuishiwa na ukanjanja. alibebwa na wakian slaa akajiona kichwa sasa cheki alivyomtupu, ingekua zamani hapo angeshusha paper ya level za wakina Dambiso sasa hapo ni yale yale ya Zain Africa Challenge na bado

Hii paragraph imenikera sana! Misaada mpaka tunaingia makaburini (w.t.*)

We have evidence that international aid can work. Countries such as mine have benefitted a lot over the years from international aid – we have better roads, more schools, affordable treatment for HIV, and many other good things as a result of support from Germany and other G8 countries

ZZK akiwa nje ya nchi ni kama JK? Kumbe kelele zinaishia Dodoma?

What about this one? He lives in Kampala and gave a talk in Arusha Tanzania? what would be ur reaction?
http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_mwenda_takes_a_new_look_at_africa.html

au hapa akiongea nje ya nchi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqcs7asvqk

Hao wanaojiita DPs na majina yao yote wanatumiaa kiini macho cha aid kutimiza malengo yao katika nchi walizozipa majina ya nchi maskini au zinazoendeleaa..

Tatizo letu waafrika, ''TUNACHOJIFUNZA KUTOKANA NA HISTORIA NI KUTOKUJIFUNZA CHOCHOTE KUTOKANA NAYO''.

AFRIKA HATUHITAJI AID, BALI TUNAHITAJII FAIR TRADE.

Obviously you didn't bother to listen (for whatever reason) to Dambisa Moyo in the interviews shown in these videos, for otherwise you wouldn't have asked such superflous and totally irrelevant questions like you've done here and elsewhere. It's the message that matters stupid, and not the messenger!

As Bill Clinton put it recently, most of us want to hear from and read the works of people we agree with. We pay little or no attention to the people we disagree with. In fact we hate them. This is a grave mistake in life. You are making the same mistake. You, [and I], should learn to listen to the people we disagree with.

Your response [reaction to be specific] exposed you as someone who is weak and with little knowledge of the topic at hand. In fact you didn't address my main concerns. You simplified and answered your own questions [you reacted rather than responding]. This shows that you have fallen in love with the idea of cutting off aid to Tanzania (not sure if you will say the same for the rest of the developing world), meaning you can never learn anything new. My advise: dig deeper into the topic of foreign aid, you have a lot to learn. Also, consult the literature on how to evaluate the impacts of donor funded projects [Ester Duflo may be interesting to read]. Pay attention to the idea that aid can work, particularly the evidences put forward in support of this argument. Lastly, evaluate how strong are your evidences in support of the argument that cutting off aid (zero aid) will turn Tanzania into an economic miracle.

More sensible discussion: Zitto Kabwe On Aid and
Aid Thoughts

N.B: There is no such a thing as "IRRELEVANT QUESTIONS" or "STUPID QUESTIONS".

"Mikopo na misaada mingi sana"......what number are you talking about here?
"Labda hii itatusaidia namna ya kutafakari kuendesha nchi within our means".......Hapa unamaanisha nini mzee? I would appreciate if you can delve into the question how?
Dude why r u asking such dumb and stupid questions?

Wakati wangereza wana\fanya industrial revolution kule kwao walikuwa nawatumia mikopo kutoka wapi?

halafu unauliza ati kama kuacha kupatiwa mikopo mikopo ni solution..hii mikopo na misaada tunayopokea imetusaidia nini zaidi ya kuendelea kusubiria mikopo na misaada mingine? Watu wenye fikra duni kaa nyie ingekuwa China wangepiga risasi kabisa mpotee maana DNA zenu hazina akili.

...was supposed to be delivered on 1980s!!

If you can't be critic in your planning, no one will care about you! Western expecting us to be considerate as they're facing economic crisis and each government is trying to cut down expenditures! 'What myopia', wanaalika kijana wa Kiafrika unaenda kuongelea masuala ya misaada badala ya kuongea ni mambo gani yatasaidia kuwaondoshea utegemezi!!

Dude why r u asking such dumb and stupid questions?

Wakati wangereza wana\fanya industrial revolution kule kwao walikuwa nawatumia mikopo kutoka wapi?

halafu unauliza ati kama kuacha kupatiwa mikopo mikopo ni solution..hii mikopo na misaada tunayopokea imetusaidia nini zaidi ya kuendelea kusubiria mikopo na misaada mingine? Watu wenye fikra duni kaa nyie ingekuwa China wangepiga risasi kabisa mpotee maana DNA zenu hazina akili.

I am so disappointed. You are perhaps the dumbest person I have ever come across. Well, I should learn to listen to people who disagree with me but this pathetic. Halafu mtu kama wewe ndiyo unatarajia mabadiliko, how? Sasa, if you cannot answer the question of how cutting off aid will trigger economic development, then what are you arguing for? Industrial revolution? Kwamba misaada ya nje ikisitishwa basi, boom industrial revolution kama ilivyotokea Uingereza. Yaani wewe ni mshabiki tu. God bless Africa!

Nadhani wengi wa wachangiaji wanamiss point, na sababu hasa ni kwamba imesemwa na Zitto. Watanzania ndivyo tulivyo we habour a lot of beefs against persons and not disagreements in arguements. We use the fallacy "ad hominem" = mshambulie mtu na sio mawazo yake!

Ikiwa tupo makini, alichozungumzia Zitto ni kwanini misaada haijawa effective, ansema wazi sababu ni lack of accountability on both sides Donors and Recepients. La pili, ni kwamba kwa namna uchumi wa nchi kama TZ au nyinginezo zilizo recepients zilivyo kwa sasa, swali la misaada bado ni muhimu, hata hivyo ansisitiza kuwa nia yake nikuona nchi hizo zinaondokana na misaada na kuwa na mawahusiano sawia...

" And in the long term it can generate the flow of information, ideas, trade and linkages that will enable countries like Tanzania to more and more exchange with countries like Germany on the basis of trade and business and science and culture, which are ultimately more dignifying than aid."

Honestly, mimi sioni rationa arguments za watu kama Abdulahimu au Cynic... ni vizuri tuwe tuna fanya discussions zenye substance na sio character assassionation

I am so disappointed. You are perhaps the dumbest person I have ever come across. Well, I should learn to listen to people who disagree with me but this pathetic. Halafu mtu kama wewe ndiyo unatarajia mabadiliko, how? Sasa, if you cannot answer the question of how cutting off aid will trigger economic development, then what are you arguing for? Industrial revolution? Kwamba misaada ya nje ikisitishwa basi, boom industrial revolution kama ilivyotokea Uingereza. Yaani wewe ni mshabiki tu. God bless Africa!

I might be dumbest but not both like u, an A$$hole and dumbest in the entire universe.

Nimekupa challenge ndogo tu, kuhusu Industrial Revolution, jinsi ilivoanzia Uingereza na kusambaa sehemu zingine za Yuropa hadi America na Asia. Nimeuliza hii ilihitaji mikopo na misaada kutoka wapi. Hiyo huwezi kuelewa maana akili yako imehifadhiwa kwene kibakuli kidogo cha kukinga bakuli , kusaidiwa na kuwezeshwa. Kwa mtu tegemezi wa akili na kimahitaji kama wewe ni vigumu kwa kweli kuona maisha nje ya duara la misaada. Sio kosa lako, ndio maana nikasema ingekuwa Uchina wangepoteza kabisa DNA zenye kansa ya watu kama wewe.

Nadhani wengi wa wachangiaji wanamiss point, na sababu hasa ni kwamba imesemwa na Zitto. Watanzania ndivyo tulivyo we habour a lot of beefs against persons and not disagreements in arguements. We use the fallacy "ad hominem" = mshambulie mtu na sio mawazo yake!

Ikiwa tupo makini, alichozungumzia Zitto ni kwanini misaada haijawa effective, ansema wazi sababu ni lack of accountability on both sides Donors and Recepients. La pili, ni kwamba kwa namna uchumi wa nchi kama TZ au nyinginezo zilizo recepients zilivyo kwa sasa, swali la misaada bado ni muhimu, hata hivyo ansisitiza kuwa nia yake nikuona nchi hizo zinaondokana na misaada na kuwa na mawahusiano sawia...

" And in the long term it can generate the flow of information, ideas, trade and linkages that will enable countries like Tanzania to more and more exchange with countries like Germany on the basis of trade and business and science and culture, which are ultimately more dignifying than aid."

Honestly, mimi sioni rationa arguments za watu kama Abdulahimu au Cynic... ni vizuri tuwe tuna fanya discussions zenye substance na sio character assassionation

Post yako ulivoieka halafu mwishoni ukamalizia kuweka commenst ulizozihusidha na ID yangu, imenishangaza kidogo. Nitakuchukulia serious iwapo ukaonesha na kudhihirisha hiyo ad hominem yangu ni ipi. Walau moja tu.

Zaidi ya hapo nitakupuuza KAMA NINAVO WAPUUZAGA WAPUMBAVU WENGINE.

The same usual blah blah blah..

I see a young politician with no vision here. Mtu yeyote anayeongelea misaada ananiboa sana aisee.

The same usual blah blah blah..

I see a young politician with no vision here. Mtu yeyote anayeongelea misaada ananiboa sana aisee.

Abdulhalim, I do respect some of your positve contributions, lakini nilipoandika critique yangu nili base arguments yangu kwenye post yako niliyo inukuu hapa juu. Abdulhalim, like I said, I do not have personal beef with you but only I'didn't find your critique well grounded, thats all!. By the way, I find your Avatar somehow too aggressive and sickening... so I kindly appeal to you to consider having an Avatar, which isn't so aggressive.

Abdulhalim, I do respect some of your positve contributions, lakini nilipoandika critique yangu nili base arguments yangu kwenye post yako niliyo inukuu hapa juu. Abdulhalim, like I said, I do not have personal beef with you but only I'didn't find your critique well grounded, thats all!. By the way, I find your Avatar somehow too aggressive and sickening... so I kindly appeal to you to consider having an Avatar, which isn't so aggressive.

Mzee In what world does that quote of mine be interpreted as 'ad hominem'? unaelewa maana ya ad hominem wewe? Ningesema sikubaliani na hoja zake kwa sababau wakati anahutubia alivaa suti ambayo haimatch na viatu,hapo ungekuwa na hoja ya maana. Otherwise sikuelewi. Hoja zangu nimeziweka naona zinajisimamia kama unaona haziko-grounded kwa viwango vyako thats fine with me, you have yours too so go for it.

BTW, avatar yangu ipo powa tu and only mods can determine if it is ok to be in public domain or not. Not some random 'everybody' ..I have one suggestion though, if u find it inappropriate just put me in ur ignore list. Works fine with me.

Code:
ZITTO,

Unaongelea swala ambalo unalijua kwa uhakika kuwa Aid imeua viwanda vyetu na uwezo wa kufikiri,au na wewe umeshaoza akili baada ya kuwa unakula seating allowance and posho za safari ktk kamati za bunge,hzo pesa unajua fika chanzo chake ni misaada na sio kodi za wananchi ndo maana unaomba wazidi kuleta pesa ili uzidi kuzitafuna!

Tanzania and Africa needs free trade na sio free Aid,msaaada hujanisadia kwa lolote.na wanaofaidika na misaada ni watoa misaada na walio ktk systems and channels za hiyo misaada,kwani over 80%ya msaada unaishia ktk kufacilitate delivery ya huo msaada na 20% or below kwa walengwa.

WE NEED TRADE AND NOT AID.
Code:

Im totaly dissappointed with Zitto Kabwe.
Sio role model wangu kabbisa.....he is hope less

Back
Top Bottom