Whose business is it how you dress?

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Whose business is it how you dress?

BBC listener Francis Kennedy Ocloo is concerned about the way women dress in his country Ghana. But is it any of his business?

He got in contact to say: 'Most Ghanaian ladies are exposing their cleavage and thighs! It is becoming so alarming that the other day whilst I was feasting my eyes on one of these, I hit the back of another car with mine. This got me into trouble.'

Francis thinks that women should cover up themselves - and this is not the first time the issue of women's clothing has arisen in Africa.

Sudanese journalist Lubna Ahmed Hussein was jailed - and then released after a day - for 'dressing indecently' after wearing trousers.

Is it the fault of women if men get 'distracted' by mini-skirts or low-cut blouses? Who should decide what women wear? Do governments have the right to dictate what people wear? Should it matter how you dress?

If you would like to join Africa Have Your Say to debate this topic LIVE on air on Thursday 24 September at 1600 GMT, please include a telephone number. It will not be published. You can find us on Facebook at facebook.com/africahys or follow us on Twitter @bbcafricahys. You can also send an SMS text message to +44 77 86 20 20 08.

Published: Wednesday, 23 September, 2009, 15:49 GMT 16:49 UK

Back
Top Bottom